Desk Buddy

Listen to Your Heart

Mihyun's eyes widened as she stepped into the classroom. Since the teacher didn't arrive yet, the class was very chaotic. A group of boys were having a spitball war, a few girls were fixing their makeup, and the rest were either listening to music, or sleeping. One boy in particular was reading a novel in midst of all the ruckus.

Unsure of what to do or where to go, Mihyun looked towards Baekhyun for help.

"Just wait in the front of the classroom until Mr. Kim comes. Ok?"

Mihyun nodded and looked down. Oh no...What do I do? I'm going to have to introduce myself in front of the class...

She bit her lip nervously and started playing with the bracelet she was wearing on her wrist. Public speaking is one of her biggest fears.

Baekhyun noticed her nervousness and gave Mihyun an encouraging pat on the shoulder and smiled. "Hey, relax Mihyun. Don't be nervous, you'll be fine."

Mihyun closed her eyes and let out a sigh. "Ok...I'll try."

"That's the spirit!" Baekhyun gave her one last smile before walking to his desk.


"Hey, what's up man?"

The student bookmarked the page he was reading and looked up. "Hey Baekhyun, how has your day been so far?" The two fist bumped.

Baekhyun ignored his friend's question and picked up the book. He looked at the cover and pointed to the title. "Really Suho? Pride and Prejudice?"

Suho grabbed the book from Baekhyun's hands and started flipping through the pages. "Yeah, and it's great so far!"

"No, no, no." Baekhyun got his backpack and started rummaging through it. "Here, read this!"

Baekhyun slammed a book on Suho's desk.

Suho lifted an eyebrow and slowly picked it up. "Avengers...?"

"Yeah! You'll love it! Now this my friend...is a good book" Baekhyun said while tapping the book.

Before Suho could say something, Mr. Kim walked into the room.

"Ok class, settle down! Get back to your seats immediately, the bell has rung." The students quickly shuffled to their seats and then the room became silent.

Mr. Kim noticed Mihyun still standing in the front and walked towards her. "May I ask why aren't you in your seat Miss?"

"I-I'm...a new student here." Mihyun stuttered.

Mr. Kim picked up his attendance list and scanned for her name. "Ah, yes. You must be Jung Mihyun. Please present yourself to the class now."

Mihyun took a deep breath and turned to face the class. She started sweating and her legs wouldn't stop shaking. Mihyun gulped as 25 pairs of eyes focused on her.  They're all looking at me! Is my hair messy? Is my uniform still wrinkled from before? What do I say? Oh, no. What is my name again?

Mihyun's gaze landed on Baekhyun who was sitting at the back of the class. He met her gaze and mouthed "Fighting!"

Baekhyun's encouraging words replayed in Mihyun's mind as she closed her eyes for a moment. You'll be fine. Yes, I can do this!

She opened her eyes and did a 90 degree bow. "Hello everyone, my name is Jung Mihyun. I am looking forward to learning and studying with all of you." Mihyun said with a smile.

"Ok, good, good. Please sit next to...um Park Chanyeol... Park Chanyeol please raise your hand."

"Hm? Oh, here!" The tall boy with glasses shouted.

"It's good to know that you are present today Chanyeol, but I only asked you to raise your hand." Mr. Kim said sternly.

"Sorry! I was just-"

"Day dreaming again? Yeah, I thought so. You've been doing that a lot lately. Please wake up and come back to reality."

"But I..." Chanyeol started to say but decided to stay quiet.

"Ok, Mihyun. Please take a seat now." Mr.Kim said pointing to desk on the right side of Chanyeol.

Mihyun bowed and made her way through the rows towards her desk.

"Ok, class. Please turn to page 12 of your history book. Let's continue our lesson on the Joseon Dynasty."

As Mihyun sat down, Chanyeol faced her and waved at her with his pen.

"Hey new desk buddy!" Chanyeol whispered.

Mihyun smiled at him and nodded in response. I better not talk right now...Mr.Kim still seems pretty frustrated.

"Since you are new here, I should let you know about our desk buddies rules. Desk buddy rule number 1, no cheating off of me. I know it may seem tempting, considering that I am in the top 10 of our class...But cheating is a no no."

SLAM! Mr.Kim shut the history book angrily, waking up the students who were getting sleepy. "Park Chanyeol! Unless you want to clean the chalk board erasers, I advise you to pay attention!"

Upon hearing that, Chanyeol quickly directed his attention to Mr. Kim. No, not that again! I better focus now!

As Mr.Kim resumed the lesson, Mihyun sneaked a peek at Chanyeol who was taking notes furiously with a concentrated look on his face.

He's funny and friendly, but he also acts smart and diligent. What an interesting personality he has... I will be looking forward to see more sides of him throughout the school year!


Author's Note: Since I'm just starting to introduce the characters, the story may seem a bit slow~ Don't worry, Mihyun is going to meet another member soon! Please be patient with my updates...I've been really busy with school lately...I hope this chapter was okay!