Something There

April Flowers

After Ara's encounter with Kai, she continued to stay locked up in her room and out of Kai's sight, much to his dismay. As Kai sat with Kyungsoo and ate breakfast, all that he would talk about with Kyungsoo was Ara. He would constantly ask where she was or ask why she wouldn't come out of her room. Kyungsoo counted four times that Kai asked why she was scared of him. After ignoring him, Kyungsoo would attempt to change the subject, only to have Kai bombard him with questions again. 

"Does she hate me or something, hyung? Why won't she come out?" Kai asked for the fiftieth time as he held a cold piece of toast in his hands. Kyungsoo had already eaten three pieces of toast and downed two glasses of milk while Kai sat with the same piece of toast in his hands the whole time. Instead of answering, Kyungsoo just stared Kai down and waited for him to ask another question. "Isn't she hungry? She should eat breakfast." 

Silence.

"Why did she run away like that?"

Silence.

"Did I frighten her?"

"Is she still scared right now?"

"Do you think I should go and apolo--"

"KAI!" Kyungsoo shouted with closed eyes and a furrowed brow. Kai jumped in his seat, almost dropping his beloved piece of toast. "If Ara didn't tell me not to say anything to you then I would have told you everything a long time ago. She's not comfortable with you knowing and I'm respecting that. So you should do the same and shut up. Eat your toast, punk." 

"It's driving me crazy that she doesn't want me to know, though. What do I do, hyung~" Kai whined and shoved the toast into his mouth. Kyungsoo made a face, not liking the way Kai whined with his deep voice. 

"Just let her be. If she decides to come out and see you after what just happened then go ahead and talk to her. But for now, just leave her alone." 

"Fine... I guess I'll just it up and hope that she comes out. But I won't be happy about it." Kai muttered, looking in the direction of her bedroom. He told himself he wouldn't bother about Ara anymore, but the image of Ara's face next to his as he woke up that morning made him think otherwise. He put his hand on his face, the same place where Ara touched earlier and lightly blushed. The last time anyone had touched him like that was... well, never. He cursed himself for not grabbing her hand at that moment and allowing the moment to last a little bit longer. 

_____

Okay, Ara. You have to pee, you're starving, and there is a really cute boy in your house. Why won't you leave your room? Ara thought to herself as she spun around in her desk chair. Maybe I should just install a toilet and a mini fridge and live in here. I'll die a hermit and... wait-- no, you want to get over this habit, not make it even worse. That would be pretty cool though, my own mini fridge. 

A loud noise interrupted her thoughts and erupted from her stomach. She patted her stomach with a frown and sad eyes. 

"You're very hungry, aren't you? You want ramyun, don't you?" She spoke in a baby voice to her stomach and cooed at it as though it were a baby. "Being in here by myself is making me go crazy." She stated in a monotone and loudly groaned. All of a sudden, the sound of the doorbell ringing reached her ears. Curious, she quietly tiptoed over to her door and pushed her ear up against it. 

"Jjajang delivery is here~" An unfamiliar voice greeted, one that she guessed was the delivery boy. The sound of bowls being placed on the ground and crinkling receipts could be heard as Ara already began to drool at the thought of herself happily slurping the noodles. 

"Thank you!" Kai exclaimed before closing the door.

"Heh, his voice is cute." Ara muttered to herself. As she thought about Kai's cute voice, she barely heard the sound of footsteps and a bowl clinking onto the floor.

"I hope you eat it well." Kai softly spoke on the other side of the door, his voice surprising Ara. As he started to walk away, Ara made sure to peek her head through her door and sneak a glance at him again. This time, however, Kai looked over his shoulder and made eye contact with Ara.

They both stared at each other in surprise while their hearts beat at the same quick pace. Ara was startled and could practically hear her heartbeat pounding, but for some reason she couldn't look away. They took in the image of each other, somewhat happy to finally get a good look at one another. Ara's hair was wavy, long, and dark, just the way Kai liked it. The sleeves of her cardigan were long, only showing the tips of her fingers. Everything about her was small, just like Kyungsoo. Kai noticed the vague similarities between her and Kyungsoo like the big eyes and plump lips and smiled. Ara, on the other hand, was surprised at his tall height and broad shoulders. She felt extremely small in front of him, but she liked it. His presence was comforting, making her feel less nervous than she normally would have been. He wore the same wrinkled t-shirt and jeans from last night, but looked effortlessly handsome.

Kai started to walk closer, carefully and slowly. The two maintained eye contact as Kai bent down and picked up the bowl of jjajangmyun on the floor. He stood back up and looked down at her. With two hands, he held it out for her to take and gave a small smile, his eyes turning into two crescents. 

"Oh.." She whispered and opened the door wider so that she was able to take the bowl. She took it quickly to hide her shaking hands and placed it on her desk. Kai quickly glanced into her room as she put the bowl away and noticed the numerous picture frames hung up on her bedroom wall. For some reason, she didn't replace the pictures with her own. Instead, she left the pictures that were already in the frame when you first bought it. Pictures of random families smiled back at Kai rather than pictures of Ara. Before he could get a chance to ask about it, Ara turned back to face him and bowed curtly to say thanks and shut the door. With the door in his face and Ara's face hidden, his smile was quickly replaced with a pout and his crescent eyes replaced with sad puppy eyes.

"We had a moment... and then she just slams the door in my face." He whispered dejectedly, still thinking about the picture frames. He started to walk away towards the living room, bringing the remaining bowls of jjajangmyun to Kyungsoo.

"Why did it take you so long?" Kyungsoo asked as he watched TV. 

"Huh? Oh, nothing." Kai simply smiled, wanting to keep the moment between him and Ara.

_____

"Do you really have to go? I spent my precious day off with you, the least you could do is stay a little while longer." Kyungsoo pouted as Kai prepared to leave the apartment.

"Sorry, I have practice in an hour and I really have to go." Kai apologized, although he wasn't really listening. His eyes were glued onto Ara's door, practically begging her to come outside. Kyungsoo noticed and smiled a bit. Kai wasn't the type to readily admit to his friends that he liked a girl. But with Ara, it was obvious. His feelings were apparent through his actions. The whole time he was at their house, he would constantly look in the direction of her room. Even if he heard her playing piano, his eyes would instantly light up. Although it was still too early, Kyungsoo knew that there was something there. He didn't know how he felt about someone liking his precious sister, but the fact that it was Kai put him at ease.

"Ara, Kai is leaving! Say bye." Kyungsoo called. Kai's head snapped in Kyungsoo's direction as he stared at him with wide eyes. 

"Hyung, what are you doing?" Kai asked in a panic. "You don't want her to do anything unless she wants to."

"Just consider it a small favor. A hyung helping out his dongsaeng." He replied with a smug grin. He turned to look at Ara's door and watched as her door creaked open. Only her hand was out in the open and she waved from behind the door. The sight of her waving hand immediately made Kai smile. And the sight of Kai smiling also made Kyungsoo smile as well. 


A/N: Next chapter will definitely have some Chanyeol, I promise! Also, about the picture frame thing. I'm not sure if you guys knew what I was talking about with that part, but basically, in America a lot of picture frames have this picture of a random family when you get it in the store. It looks like this:

So yeah, Ara has these pictures of random families hanging up on her wall LOL. After putting in their own pictures in the frames, everyone just throws out the pictures of the random families but Ara keeps them... kinda strange, but I'll explain it later! 

Btw sorry if I take too long with updates :( I've been getting busy with studying so I don't really have much time anymore. I'll try to update at least once a week though!