Kwek-kwek

That Summer..

 

-----

 

 

"How about your Dad?" I asked her.

 

"Dad?" She smiled. "He's in heaven."

 

"You mean?"

 

"Yes. He's dead. He passed away when I was seven years old."

 

"Oh. I'm sorry." I asked an apology.

 

"It's okay." She smiled. "Let's go swim again." And she ran to the water.

 

I watch her run to the kids whose throwing water to each other. And she's laughing.

 

 

Behind her laugh is a sad story. Sigh.

 

 

 

Sunny told me that Tita Tina is an accountant and she is in their firm now, her Dad was a soldier who died in a war. Sunny is now 19years old and she'll be going to fourth year college this coming semester.. And so I am.

 

 

That's the reason Mom sent me her. She sent me here to befriend Sunny, who she said a very nice and charming girl and smart and never been part of gang and never ever had a fight to no one. And I can tell that Mom is telling the truth. As what I see, people here admire and like her.

 
 
  •  

    After some time Sunny fell on the water. I thought she's just playing still until.. "Ate Sunny! Ate Sunny!" The kids keep on screaming. So I ran fast to them.

     

     

     

    "Sunny! Sunny!"I say her name as I got to near her. She seems out of breath.

     

     

    "Let's go home." She said weakly so I carry her and run fast as I can. I led her to the sofa.

     

    "Get the pink bag above my drawer in my room." She said and I hurriedly get it.

     

    "Water." She said as I handed the pink bag to her.

     

     

    And there she take something. A medicine maybe. After some time. Maybe a minute or two, she smile.

     

     

    "I'm okay now. Sorry for worrying you." She weakly said and smile again.

     

    "It's okay." I said. And she sat up. "Don't tell Mom what just had happened, okay?"

     

    "Why?"

     

    "Just don't tell her."

     

    "I will. If you're not going to tell me the reason why." I said and grin.

     

    "Silly." She laughed. A weak one. "Because I don't want her to worry me." She sighed. "I'm sick, Top."

     
     

     

  •  

    She's sick?

     

     

    That.. is not obvious.. I mean, she is so active and bubbly to be sick. She looks healthy.

     

     

    "Sick?" I asked myself in disbelief. Like what the heck! How can you tell that someone is sick when she is talking and smiling all the time?

     

    "I am." She said and smiled again. "I have a leukemia." She stand and pat my shoulder. "I'm going to rest now. Promise me you're not gonna tell Nanay, anything. Thank you."

     

    I still can't believe it. She has a leukemia? That's a serious illness. Sigh.. I wanna tell Tita about what had happened for her to be checked up but I'm afraid she'll get mad at me.

     

    What should I do. Jeez. She's making me frustrated.

     

     

     

    "Good evening, Tao!" Tita Tina greeted me as she entered the house.

     

    "Good evening." I said. She asked me what had happened today and I told her all except with what Maro said I shouldn't.

     

    "That's good. I'm happy you're having fun." She said and smile. "Where is Sunny by the way?"

  • "She's--" "I'm here, Nay!" She said and they hug each other. She really looks fine. And then we started our dinner.

     

     

     

    The next morning, still we went to the City's proper. We shop in the market. I bought 20 pieces of a customized white shirt which has written "I Love Palawan" in front and "Wolf 88" at it's back. I'm sure they will like this. Awooo~

     

     

    "You like it?" I asked Sunny. She's staring at a necklace which has a half-moon pendant. It's beautiful.

     

    "Yeah.. But that's too expensive. Hehe!" And then she looked at me. "Let's go to there, street foods here are delicious." She said and started running.

     

     

    I smiled with the thought..

     

     

    "What takes you so long?" She asked and pouts. Cute.

     

    "Why are you smiling like that? Hump!" She said and roll her eyes.. And r pouts again. I really find it cute when she pouts.

     

    "Here, try this Kwek-kwek." She offered me an orange-like food. And I give her an don't-tell-me-that-I'll-eat-that-look and then she smile sheepishly and put the kwek-kwek on my mouth. -_______-

  • I start to chew it and yes, it tastes like egg?

     

    "Is this an egg?" I ask her.

     

    "Yup. Quaill egg." She said and smile. "That orange is it's coats which is a flour and the inside is a boiled quaill egg." She happily explained and I asked for more. It's delicious.

     

     

    -----