Chapter 1

Unexpected

A bright sunny Saturday morning, a weather perfect for enjoying and relaxing and yet a girl chose to stay in her apartment with pizza, chips and soda as her company.

“This drama is boring…” a blonde girl said

“Another useless thing to put on the TV…” Click. Click. Click

“Aish! All the programs are pointless!”

She frustratingly threw the remote on the other side of the sofa as she lied down. The girl named Kim Taeyeon lied on her couch thinking of things to do in her own home for she prefers it rather than going outside.

She closed her eyes for a bit.

*Ding dong ding dong*

Her door bell disturbed her peace as she was about to fall asleep. She opened the door without looking at who her visitor may be.

“What?” She stated with a tone of annoyance

“Is that a way to greet your father young lady?”

She got shocked because her father never really visit her often. She vowed with respect as she once again greeted her father. “Oh. I’m sorry, appa. Come inside please.”

She led him to the couch to have a seat so her father can be comfortable.

“Do you want anything appa? A drink perhaps?” She asked

“No my dear. I’m fine. I won’t be here for long. I just needed to talk to you in person.”

“Okay. What is it about dad?” She said as she sat on another couch opposite her father so now they were face to face.

“Look Taeyeon. It’s your last year in college and after that you will be the one to manage the company but still you haven’t introduced us to anyone who you might be interested in ever since your relationship with Jessica. So, I guess it’s time for me to take action.” Her father said

“What do you mean, appa?” She was taken aback at the mention of her name. Jessica.

Not comprehending her father’s words, a quizzical look can be seen on the baby-faced girl

“Once you enter the business world  my dear, it ain’t going to be easy. So you need someone who can help you run the company and keep it at the top like it has always been for the past two decades…” Mr. Kim decided to pause for a bit to let every word he’s saying to sink in her daughter’s mind.

“Uhmmm… go on.”

“I’m setting you up in an arrange marriage, Tae.” BAM!

“WHAAAT?!!!” She basically yelled while her eyes were about to jump out her eye sockets after her father dropped the bomb

“Your tone young lady…”

“I’m sorry again dad! But marriage? Seriously???” She still can’t believe it

“Yes dear. You’ll meet her next Sunday. We’ll have dinner with her family to discuss the details.”

“Her? Who is she?”

“Hwang Miyoung, Tae. The sole heir to the Hwang Empire. Her father and I already discussed important matters so the Sunday dinner will just be for formalities.” Mr. Kim stated

“But dad! Isn’t this a little…” She was about to retaliate when her father stopped her by saying, “No buts Taeyeon-ah. We are going to have dinner with them this Sunday whether you like it or not!” The tone of her father’s voice made her shut up.

She sat there on the couch waiting for everything to actually feel real as her father made his way to the door to leave. “This is for the best Taeyeon. It’s for you and the company as well. Please understand.” Those were the last words her father left her as he shut the door.

Marriage? What the hell? Don’t I get a say in this? This is crazy! Ahhhhhhh!!

A lot of thoughts ran through her mind as the weekend passed and Monday came.

 

Monday

“Hey buddy!” A tanned girl greeted Taeyeon as she was about to get her books on her locker.

“Morning, Yuri.” She greet back lifelessly

“Woah dude! What happened to you? You look like a zombie!?” Yuri joked

“Shut up you kkab!” Taeyeon sounded annoyed

“I’m just kidding Taeng! Are you okay?”

“No! Everything is happening so fast! I don’t know what to do Yul!” Taeyeon hugged Yuri as the tears she was holding the whole weekend made its way out of her eyes.

“Hey buddy stop crying. People are staring. And besides, what are you talking about?!” Yuri asked confused while rubbing Taeyeon’s back to at least console her.

“I’ll tell you at lunch cause we’re gonna be late for Mr. Kang’s class. Thanks for lending me your shoulder Yul.” She wiped her eyes like a baby as the two made their way to their first class.

 

 

Lunch Time, Cafeteria

The four friends were peacefully having their lunch quietly when one decided to break the silence.

“Ehem… So Taeng, mind telling us now what was bothering you earlier?” Yuri opened

The two who wasn’t able to witness Taeyeon’s outbreak got confused.

“Uhm… Unnie, what is Yuri-unnie talking about?” The youngest, Seohyun, asked

“Yeah. What is Yuri talking about?” the shortest, Sunny, asked too

Taeyeon took a deep breath before speaking, “I thought you would’ve forgotten about that, Yul.”

“You said you will tell me at lunch. It’s lunch so spill it, Taeng.” Yuri seriously uttered

“Yeah Tae. We’re here to listen.” Sunny cooed the oldest of them all while the maknae can only nod in agreement.

A sigh can be heard from Taeyeon as she was about to tell the news.

“Guys. I’m getting married.” She told her friend without an ounce of enthusiasm

“WHAT?!” The three unanimously shouted as their voices filled the cafeteria causing some unwanted attention.

“Keep it down will you?”

“But Tae, I didn’t know you were seeing someone? What is with this sudden marriage?” Sunny tried to make out a possible explanation for this whole news.

“I am not.”

“But why? How?” It was Yuri’s turn to speak.

“My dad arranged it. He said I need someone to help me run the company once I take over after graduation.” Taeyeon explained

“Uhmm… Unnie, are you going to accept this?” Seohyun asked

“I don’t know Seo. I don’t want to disappoint my dad. He is ill and I want him to retire so he can rest. I don’t want to stress him out by arguing with him about this matter.”

“Are you sure about this Taengoo?” Sunny spoke after finally understanding the situation

“I guess so. It’s not like I like someone at the moment to protest about this marriage.” Taeyeon tried to sound cheerful so her friends will stop worrying about her.

The three can only agree with their friend. Taeyeon has always been this obedient when it comes to her father. She only wants to make her father happy after that tragic incident.

After lunch, Taeyeon decided to skip her Literature class in hopes of somehow clearing her mind with all this stress. Her usual haven was the music room.

She sat by the piano and pressed random keys to kill the dull silence.

“Oppa… what am I going to do?” She talked to no one

“I know it’s too much but can I really bear to see him hurt again if I refuse this?” Tear after another fell from her flawless cheeks as she doesn’t have a clue of what to do anymore.

“This should be you on my place, oppa. But why did you leave? You even took umma with you. It’s just not fair! Ahhh!!” She banged and banged the keys of the piano to release her frustrations when a voice suddenly interrupted her.

“Hey hey hey! What’s with the noise?! Can’t you see I’m sleeping here?!” Taeyeon didn’t notice that there was a girl sleeping when she came in and now she’s awake and pissed. The blonde wiped her tears away to not let the stranger see her crying.

“Who are you?” Taeyeon questioned

“I asked first shorty.” The girl showed her face to Taeyeon. She had long flaming red hair and skin as fair as snow.

Taeyeon got pissed when she heard the girl call her shorty. “Look who’s talking. Shorty number 2!”

“I’m still taller than you though, midget. So what’s with your ruckus? I was sleeping then you woke me up!” The equally pissed girl stated

“None of your business! Why are you here? Its class hours and you’re sleeping!” Taeyeon spat out

“I can say the same thing about you!” The red haired girl was not backing out

“Ugh! Forget it! I came here to find peace and thanks a lot for ruining it!”

“Well you’re welcome! And thank you for ruining my peaceful slumber too!” The red hair girl practically shouted in annoyance as Taeyeon made her way out of the music room to not further the conversation she was having with the stranger.

As Taeyeon was walking in the corridor the bell range indicating the end of the classes and as she passed a room to get to her locker, a friend grab hold of her arms.

“Hey Tae! Where were you? You skipped Lit!” Yuri slightly scolded

“I just needed to clear my mind, Yul. Don’t overreact.” Taeyeon answered

“Okay okay. I’m sorry for overreacting. Where’d you go?” Yuri asked

“Music room. But some buffoon was also there and called me shorty! Can you believe that?”

“Well yeah. Cause you are really short if it isn’t obvious. Hahaha.”

“Stop joking, Yuri-ah. I’m not in the mood!” Taeyeon pouted to stop her friend from teasing her

“It’s not a joke though. Pft… HAHAHAHA.”

“Whatever, Kkab! I’m leaving!” Taeyeon was about to leave when her tanned friend caught up with her.

“Sorry buddy. Joking aside. I know what would make you feel better though…”

The two looked at each other with childish smile on their faces and both shouted, “ICE CREAM!!”

The two friends, Taeyeon and Yuri, were now sitting on their favorite ice cream parlor enjoying a cone of their selected ice cream.

“Hey, where is Sunny and Seohyun by the way?” The baby-faced girl asked

“They didn’t attend Literature too, Taeng. Sunny’s dad called her because of an emergency and Seohyun’s had some last minute meeting at the company.”

An O shaped was formed on as Yuri told her.

A ring can be heard from the store indicating someone just came in.

“Wooyoung oppa! I’m here for my shift!” The girl shouted

“Look Taeng, she’s cute.” Yuri nodged the girl to look at the direction where she was looking

Taeyeon turned around and got shocked to see the girl from the music room. Her blood started to boil.

“Yah Yuri-ah. She’s the girl who called me a shorty!” Taeyeon silently shouted in Yuri’s ear to not catch the girl’s attention.

“Are you sure? Our school is the most prestigious business school in our country, Taeng. If she’s the one who you talked to at the music room, why would she be here working? All of the kids in our school are filthy rich.” Yuri doubtedly asked

“I don’t know Yuri but I’m almost 100% positive that that is her.”

“Only one way to find out.” A mischievous grin can be noted on the black pearls face. “Let’s go talk to her!” she added.

Before Taeyeon could protest, Yuri already dragged her into the counter against her will.

“Hi!” Yuri greeted the girl on the counter a little too friendly weirding out the other party.

“Hello?” The girl greeted back slightly unsure

“Haha. Sorry if I’m a little weird. I’m Yuri.” Yuri introduced

“Hi, Ms. Yuri. What can I get you?” The working girl asked politely

“Uhhh. Sorry again. But I’m not here to order. I would like to ask if you go to our school?”

“What school is tha…?” Before the girl could finish, she noticed a familiar face behind the tanned lady she was talking to. “Hey shorty!”

Taeyeon got irritated again by the way the girl called her. She took a deep breath to calm her down before responding. “I have a name you know?”

“And that is?”

“Kim Taeyeon.” The irritated girl answered.

“Oh. Hey shorty Taeyeon.”

Yuri could only look in amusement at the two bickering people.

“I am not a shorty!”

“Wanna look in the mirror?”

“Why you little…”

Before it turns ugly, Yuri stepped in.

“Okay you two, stop it. You’re both acting immature.” Yuri reprimanded

“She started it!” Taeyeon whined to her friend while the other girl just rolled her eyes.

“We have to go now, Miss Tiffany. Nice meeting you though.” Yuri said

“How’d you know my name?”

“Oh. That. Uhhh, well… you have a name tag. See?” Yuri explained while pointing at her name tag.

“Right. Bye Yuri. Nice meeting you too.” Tiffany said to Yuri and turned to Taeyeon. “While you? Not so much shorty.” Tiffany added a grin to annoy Taeyeon more.

“I can say the same thing, Tiffany!” She spat back and marched right out of the ice cream parlor with Yuri trailing behind.

Tiffany could only smile at the shorter girl’s childish antics.

“Things just got fun around here.” Tiffany said to herself as she leaned her elbow in the counter.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

A/N Hi guys! Comment your thoughts! Thank youuuu!! :)))