The Problem With The Window Seat

Collide

L couldn’t stop scowling.

The image of that gummy-smiling lunatic who had gotten him two days’ worth of detention wouldn’t erase from his mind. So indulged in his hateful thoughts of the giant, L didn’t notice that the bell had rung and he was late even to period 2.

He scowled some more.

 

 

Sungyeol yawned.

“I really dislike English class,” he whispered to his best friend since grade 4, Lee Sungjong.

Sungjong threw him a glare but continued to focus on the lesson. Unlike airhead Sungyeol, Sungjong studied with passion and had skipped the tenth grade, which was the reason he was in the same grade as Sungyeol. 

Sighing from displeasure at the lack of reaction, Sungyeol laid his head down on the desk, letting himself fall slowly into slumber. It felt like only a few seconds had passed when Sungyeol felt a sharp pain on his head.

“Ouch –“

“Wake the frick up. Period 3 waits for no one, Yeol.”

Sungyeol rubbed the spot behind his head where Sungjong had smacked him and begrudgingly stood up. Collecting his light two books, he followed the younger to his least favorite class of the day: A.P. History.

Sungyeol didn’t know why he’d been so cocky and took the A.P. course in the one subject at which he was nothing but horrible at. But then again, it wasn’t like there were any subjects in school that Sungyeol really excelled in so why not. Right?

Wrong.

The eleventh grader was failing the class horribly with a D- average and worst of all, Mr. Kim Heechul, the history teacher despised him with a passion.

“I really hate History Sungjongie,” the elder of the two whined loudly, causing other kids in the hallway to look upon him weirdly.

Sungjong rolled his eyes. “You dislike English and hate History, Yeol. I don’t know how you’ll make it past college applications.”

Sungyeol chuckled at this. “Who needs college applications when I have my parents’ beer and chicken business Jongie?”

Sungjong simply wacked his hyung on the head once more, hoping it’d maybe turn on his brain for once.

 

 

L frowned as he caught sight of a familiar lunatic blondie in the hallway.

“Why’re you staring at Lee Sungyeol like that my cutie L?” Nam Woohyun, L’s cousin and best friend questioned, draping an affectionate arm over L.

L growled and shoved the elder off. “Woohyun I know you’re like always but leave me out of your skinshipping ways. And don’t call me cute.”

Woohyun just laughed and asked again, “Why were you staring at Sungyeol?”

Lee Sungyeol, L thought, musing to himself. The name’s odd like the owner.

“No reason. I just think he looks a bit of an airhead.” L replied, shutting his locker.

Woohyun shrugged. “I don’t know. I think he’s kind of cute.”

Even with the crowding girls around him and the typical confessions and complimets, L stayed quiet the rest of the walk to History class, the scowl on his face now deeper.

 

Sungyeol decided to take the seat next to the window. Sungjong on the other hand deserted him and, like always, took his seat in front of the class.

Sungyeol glared harmlessly. “That kiss-up.”

Just as Sungyeol was about to call out to his best friend and convince him to come sit beside him, someone else sat down, occupying the seat.

“Excuse me, would you mind moving to another se – you?!” Sungyeol’s voice squeaked a bit at the end, causing the other boy to smirk.

“Hi loser,” L’s mind was simply bursting out in laughter at the irony of things. Another part was wondering why he’d never noticed the giant, though.

Sungyeol glared in indignantly. “I’m no loser, L ssi. Now would you mind choosing another seat because I’m saving this seat for my friend.”

L scoffed. “I didn’t know airheads had friends. Well, you learn something new every day.”

He knows my name, L thought inwardly. But then again… who doesn’t.

Sungyeol puffed out his cheeks in annoyance. Before he could retort, Mr. Kim waked into the room.

Sungyeol paled as he and the teacher made eye contact.

“Feeling alright there, Sungyeol ah?” Mr. Kim taunted. “I see you’ve picked the back of the room today so at least I won’t catch you sleeping.”

The students chuckled, some snorting. L bit back his own smirk while Sungyeol’s ears tinted pink.

“N-No sir.”

Mr. Kim ignored his squeak of a reply and started the lesson.

“Nice going loser. Getting in trouble as soon as class starts, what a talent.” L mocked, opening up his History textbook.

Sungyeol cussed under his breath, promising himself to join Sungjong in the front tomorrow.

 

 

History class was coming to a painfully slow end and Sungyeol was at his wits end. Sitting next to L was ing torture.

“Okay class, quiet down.”

The noise immediately died down.

“I’m going to assign you all partners before the termination of today’s class –“

Sungyeol rolled his eyes. Who uses the word termination anymore?

“- I want you and your partner to meet up after school today and discuss the highlights of today’s lesson and create a brief powerpoint presentation on it. This will be a major grade, is that clear Park Chanyeol?”

Park Chanyeol, the class clown, blushed and nodded furiously. L smirked, imagining Sungyeol in Chanyeol’s shoes instead.

“Okay. I have all your partners written down right here, one sec.”

Sungyeol leaned back in his chair and sighed in relief. He couldn’t care less who he got as long as he was able to get out of this class and away from annoying L. Hell, he’d be happy to get anyone in this class, anyone besides –

“L and Sungyeol, you two are partners.”

Sungyeol froze.

L’s smirk vanished.

“.”