First Meeting

Collide

Sungyeol was not a morning person.

“Mom, I’m skipping school today. I can’t do it; I can’t wake up.”

Mrs. Lee smacked her son’s , all while sighing loudly. “Lee Sungyeol we do this every single morning! Get up or else I’ll give Dayeol your breakfast.” The middle aged lady leaned down to whisper, “And I made a fruit salad today Yeollie, with strawberries~”

Sungyeol finally sprung to life at this, immediately regretting it afterwards because his head was pounding. Cringing, he dragged himself up and walked to the bathroom, all while yelling, “If you give Dayeol my breakfast don’t expect me to come home tonight!”

 

 

“Good morning.”

“Morning.” L replied, grabbing a piece of toast and his morning coffee. Though he looked cold, L’s coffee always included lots of cream and sugar.

“How’s school going, Myung –“

L looked up sharply. “Don’t call me that, father. I’ve told you countless times to throw away that stupid name.”

Mr. Kim put down his newspaper and sighed. “I only call you that because it’s your name. The name your mom gave you.”

Before L could say another word, his father rose up from the table, grabbed his newspaper and left the house without a second glance at him.

L cursed softly but took his time finishing his breakfast, surfing the web, checking his social media and all.

After all, school doesn’t start until L is present, am I right.

 

 

Wrong.

School starts at 8:00 a.m. sharp. No excuses, no exceptions.

This is the reason Sungyeol ends up in the principal’s office so early in the morning – precisely 8:20 a.m.

“Mr. Lee, this isn’t your first tardy, I’m sure you’re well aware of that.”

The eleventh grader kept his head down and nodded.

“This is a prestigious school, Mr. Lee. Granted, you’re on a scholarship to attend this school and all but that doesn’t make you superior to the other students who take responsibility and arrive to school on time. I say, you should be even more responsible as you are on a scholarship! Study harder to make sure you can keep this scholarship not waste it, Mr. Lee.”

Sungyeol cringed but nodded once again, not able to utter a word.

As the poor teenager was being scolded, no one caught sight of another boy scampering through the halls, clearly late as well. And this boy was not twenty but thirty minutes late.

No one but Lee Sungyeol who, while trying to look anywhere but that huge mole on Mrs. Ji, the principal’s face, catches a glimpse of the cunning boy who is later than himself.

So, Sungyeol, always the boy to think later and act now, jumps up and screams at the top of his lungs, “SOMEONE’S LATER THAN I AM! LOOK OUTSIDE LOOK!”

Both the principal and the boy outside freeze before slowly, the boy and Sungyeol make eye contact. And once they do, Sunyeol wants to bury himself six feet underground.

“.”

 

 

“Thanks a lot loser.”

Sungyeol bites his lip, both cursing his bad luck and amused that he managed to get the high school’s kingka, L, into serious trouble.

Noticing the small smirk on Yeol’s face sends L’s sour mood even lower and he explodes. “Do you think it’s ing funny?”

Sungyeol immediately tries to straighten up and shake his head but being one of those people who once begun cannot stop laughing, he bursts into small giggles. The giggles turn into serious chuckles and then obnoxious laughter, knee slapping included.

L can’t believe his luck. He’s managed to get into yet another fight with his dad, gotten into serious trouble with Mrs. Ji, missed first period and is now standing in the office with some ing lunatic who finds this whole situation too godamn funny for his own good and looks just so adorable standing there laughing with his stupid cute gummy smile and

Wait what.

“I’m sorry,” Sungyeol breathes out past his laughing fit. “I-I’m s-sorry I can’t s-stop!”

L snaps himself out of the other boy’s trance, shaking his head. “I can’t do this. I’m leaving.”

Sungyeol doesn’t even react to L’s statement and simply keeps laughing. With one eye twitching in annoyance, L just sighs and gets the frick out the office before the principal pins something else onto him.

“B-Bye!” Sungyeol finally calls out once he’s done laughing and as L is leaving but the farewell goes deaf to the kingka’s ears who has plugged in his headphones.