five

mnemonic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Days have passed ever since I joined the guitar club, and those days turned into weeks, then into more than a month, before I knew it. I have been diligently going to the club, doing my homework, studying for tests, doing my chores at home, reading, thinking about my future, researching universities. Just ... living, I guess.

 

There was, however, one incident in this month that baffled me greatly: the disbandment of our class. We were only told that our homeroom teacher had decided to resign due to personal reasons and that there wasn't going to be a new one soon. So we were all put in different classes, and Class 3-2 ceased to exist.

 

Had I been foretold such an incident during spring break, I would have probably been a lot sadder than I was at that moment. But since it happened less than a week after me joining the guitar club, it seemed like just another layer to this mountain of change I'd unknowingly begun climbing.

 

Standing before Class 3-4's classroom, separated from both Megu and Chie, I was reminded of the deja-vu I'd had when Chie announced our being in the same class again at the start of this year. I was reminded of how ironic everything appeared. And for a moment I felt a tinge of sadness because it seemed like the assignment of me and my friends into different classes was like the physical proof of our beginning estrangement.

 

But that feeling was almost completely replaced by my surprise when I spotted Yixing's smiling face in the new class I was going to be part of. Both a surprise to see him and a surprise at my relief to already know someone. In that moment I realized that in all two high school years I'd not only made no effort to get to know other people, I'd actually never been in the situation to do so. Having friends in my class had been a given for the naive old me. So much that I never cared for things such as loneliness or never understood how people ended up as loners in class. Naturally, my sudden slight panic at not knowing anyone and not even knowing how to inconspicuously become part of a friends' circle came as surprise.

 

Still, I ended up sitting next to a girl I didn't know and who as I found out later was the class representative, as the teacher told me to sit there. It was a window seat, which I was thankful for. Despite being a good student, I love gazing at the sky from to time to time. From that seat I could also spot Yixing from the corner of my eye on the other side of the classroom, second row. He was smiling encouragingly at me. What he wanted to encourage is still unknown to me even now, but I just politely smiled back, assuming he might think me shy when befriending people.

 

I don't consider myself shy, but that day, I think, it was his encouraging smile that prompted  me to immediately strike up a conversation with the class rep even though I was tired and wanted to sleep. And I have to thank him for that, for the girl has become the first friend I've made since Chie and Megu.

 

Three weeks have passed since I joined Yixing's class. Three good weeks. Not only have my parents have grown to enjoy my playing the guitar from time to time, I've finished the books I placed on my to-read list and found out that the class rep, whose name is Aya by the way, has read almost exactly the same books as me. Ever since she spotted the cover of one in my backpack, our conversations went from small talk to actual fun discussions and agreements on favorite characters.

 

Aside from that Yixing is nice company at the club, and we greet each other every morning in class now. In fact, I'd almost consider us friends or something close to it. Especially after he's lent me Norwegian Wood few days ago. Since I absentmindedly mentioned finishing my books, he came to speak of it again. So I borrowed it and gave it back the next day already, which made him wonder whether I didn't like it or changed my mind. Actually, I'd devoured the book. As I was so into the book, I pretty much ended up fangirling about it in front of Yixing throughout the whole break and thanked him again and again for the recommendation. The following guitar sessions we talked about the book again, making me feel even more comfortable with him even if it's just the two of us.

 

And yet, I feel weird. This weird feeling stems from the fact that over the course of this month Chie und Megumi both have unknowingly distanced themselves from me, which is probably an inevitable result of the class disbandment. It's nothing grave, no fight or anything. Actually, our interactions would seem rather normal to any third person …

 

Aside from going to their classroom during break sometimes (the two of them were lucky to have been put in one class), we’ve onl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter