three

mnemonic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's been two weeks since the first school day AKA the day my life changed more than I was prepared for. As I have seen it coming, the distance between Chie and Megumi and me is slowly approaching.

 

At school we talk and laugh, but Chie's boyfriend often visits our classroom. His name is Sehun and he doesn't look like a junior, more like a senior. Tall with broad shoulders and a serious looking face, his character is really adorable though, and I feel senpai-ish when he talks about some second year problems.

 

I am glad that Sehun seems like a good guy, but that makes it even harder to ask him to leave us at times when I want it only to be us three; actually that makes it impossible.

 

They're a cute couple and all, but it's really awkward trying to talk like we always do with just a boy who's pretty much a stranger to Megu and me. And after school they go home together, and since they're a freshly baked couple, it's pretty understandable they're not separable, so I don't want to say anything to Chie yet.

 

But it's not just Chie's boyfriend that strengthens the awkwardness. Megumi has been weird too. With Chie gone, the two of us would usually just walk together until the next street where she and I had to part to go home. It's not like it's the first time we're just two, sometimes when Chie was sick and we wanted to visit, we'd meet at the supermarket first to get some sweets for Chie. (Or more like, we did that whenever one of us three was sick.)

 

But Megu hasn't really been normal; I wonder if something happened at home. Once I asked if she wanted to go to the park, and we did, but it was sort of weird.

 

Megumi didn't really talk, she only laughed really really hard at times when the joke wasn't even that funny, so it was just me rambling about the day and her laughing really hard without proper reason once in a while. And she didn't seem all too attentive, so I told her she could go home if she was feeling unwell. She did, and two days have passed with just us going home together until our ways parted naturally with Megumi talking a little sometimes and me basically holding a monologue.

 

That and the fact that I had no job anymore has given me a lot of free time to try out the guitar I've spontaneously bought on that fateful day.

 

I don't regret it so far, I mean buying it. My parents were negatively surprised that I had decided so spontaneously and we had a little fight, but I‘m still happy I bought it. It gave me something to do during this weird week, it gave me some kind of „purpose“, if you will, other than just doing homework and studying and waiting for me to get used to this new (and mostly unexpected) phase of my life.

 

I have learned quite a few chords and I am practicing a little bit every or every second day. I don’t have any rhythm in my pracice, just when I feel like it, or when I am bored. And lately, I’ve been bored quite often.

 

Job-wise I have nothing as well. Even as I have found a few shops looking for a temporary assistant, their working hours didn’t fit with my time table or they said they’d contact me by Friday, which they didn’t.

 

Looking back I feel almost naive to have taken my old job as granted. During this week I’ve realized how hard it actually is to find a good job. But honestly, since it’s not like my life depends on me getting a job, I am not putting a hundred percent into it either. I just go through town after school and inform myself and ask a few shops. But if it doesn’t work out until next week, I’ll stop looking. I guess a little more leisure time isn’t all too bad considering that senior year is pretty stressful.

 

Today Sehun has taken Chie to his class to introduce her to his friends, so right now it's just Megu and me, and we’re just having a break.

 

I use this opportunity to finally get to the problem. "Has something happened? You've been really weird lately, you know,” I say after finishing my rice ball.

 

I watch as Megu looks up from her food, surprised. "Huh?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter