Episode 6

Girls' Generation

With Dong Wook away on a business trip, Taeyeon has a hard time at home. The main cause of her headache is of course her mother-in-law, who seems to be keeping an eye on poor Taeyeon 24/7. Other than her mother-in-law, Min-young’s rebellious side and Daisy’s lack of respect for Taeyeon’s authority in the household (if she has one to begin with, that is) makes her home life even more miserable.

While she is busy cooking lunch, Taeyeon receives a call from Jessica who informs her that Ryeowook had invited her out for a meal. Jessica also says that Ryeowook is treating and she feels something fishy is going on. The first thing that comes to Taeyeon’s mind when Ryeowook’s name is mentioned is more trouble. She decides to join Jessica. It looks like Taeyeon won’t have any peace in her life for a while.

‘Daisy, I’m going out. Remember not to let the chicken cook too long in the slow cooker, okay? And add some vinegar before serving it to jangmonim.’ Taeyeon says as she picks up her bag to leave the house.

‘Cannot.’ Daisy says.

‘Cannot? What do you mean cannot?’ Taeyeon stops short in her track.

‘I’m only hired to take care of the household chores. Taking care of umma-nim is your responsibility.’ Daisy says nonchalantly.

‘What is this about, Daisy?’ Taeyeon says, hands on her hips.

‘The Jang household next door has two maids, Flora and Maria. Flora cooks and cleans while Maria’s only job is to take care of umma-nim. Just like Flora, I’m only hired to cook and clean. Taking care of umma-nim is none of my business.’

While Taeyeon would like to stay and argue with her, she realizes that she is running late to meet with Jessica and Ryeowook. She digs in her purse and fishes out 50,000 won and hands it over to Daisy.

‘Here, I’m giving you 50,000 won to take care of jangmonim for me.’ Taeyeon says.

Upon hearing this, Daisy’s eyes widen and she grins from ear to ear, counting the notes that Taeyeon just gave her.

‘I’m going out now. Make sure you do as I say.’ Taeyeon says before leaving.

‘Of course, Taeyeon mam. This will be enough to cover your role for the next six hours. Bye.’ Daisy says, fanning herself with the notes. Taeyeon rolls her eyes and leaves the house.

***

When Taeyeon arrives at the restaurant, Jessica and Ryeowook are already there in a private room. She apologizes for being late and takes a seat. Jessica coyly asks Ryeowook if he minds Taeyeon joining them. Ryeowook only seems to be too happy to have Taeyeon joining them for their little meal together. Taeyeon is amazed at the food before her. She looks at Jessica and gives her ‘the look’, their secret language which signals that something is not right. Jessica nods in understanding. For someone of Ryeowook’s stature, treating them to such a generous meal is not what he will normally do. In fact, Ryeowook invited them to dine in a high-class Chinese restaurant that is famed for its Hong Kong dimsum.

‘Ryeowook oppa~ how generous of you to treat us to this meal.’ Jessica says.

‘It’s nothing. Come, eat as much as you can.’ Ryeowook says.

For the next twenty minutes or so, the three of them are eating the delicious dimsum while occasionally engaging in small talk. When the waiter comes in and asks if they would like to add any more items, Jessica orders a bowl of lobster porridge. Taeyeon eyes her in a weird manner. Jessica flips her hair back two times, indicating that they should take advantage of the whole situation and order as much expensive food as they can. After the waiter leaves, Ryeowook wipes his mouth with a napkin and clears his throat.

‘Ladies, first of all, I wanna thank both of you for saving my sister the other day. You know how Hyoyeon is always so passionate when it comes to dancing but I didn’t know that her passion would take her all the way up to the roof. Way to be on top, huh?’ Ryeowook chuckles.

Taeyeon and Jessica do not like the way Ryeowook is talking about Hyoyeon. He may have been joking but there is an undertone of sarcasm in the way he talks.

Jessica smiles and dabs with a napkin before saying: ‘Well, we are Hyoyeon’s friends and we will do anything for her…including protecting her from some people who would harm her.’ Jessica then shoots Ryeowook her famous ice princess look. Ryeowook gulps when he sees that but he quickly overcomes the fear that Jessica induces.

‘So, while we are on the subject of Hyoyeon, I have some things to say. You see, the studio that she has been living in since she was born is dilapidated. It is so old that some of the things there are beyond repair and I don’t think it is safe for her to continue living there. So, what I would like to do is to sell off the studio. At least some money can be made out of the transaction and Hyoyeon can have a better life.’ Ryeowook says.

Taeyeon and Jessica are appalled to hear what comes out of Ryeowook’s mouth. Selling off Hyoyeon’s studio? The dance studio is Hyoyeon’s life! If he sells the studio, then that is akin to taking Hyoyeon’s life.

‘How can you do that, Ryeowook oppa? The studio means the world the Hyoyeon. If you sell it, then where is she going to live? Don’t you care about how she feels?’ Taeyeon asks.

‘I am concerned for her and that is why I’m proposing this. Hyoyeon is in serious financial troubles and no one seems to be interested in taking lessons from her. There is a clear deficit in the studio’s account. So, what’s the use of keeping it when she’s making nothing out of it?’ Ryeowook defends his decision.

Jessica clicks her tongue and shakes her head in disbelief. Taeyeon and Ryeowook look at her in confusion.

‘You are still the same old bastard, aren’t you?’ Jessica says.

Taeyeon and Ryeowook are taken aback by Jessica’s choice of word, which is rather strong. It is not so much for the fact that Jessica doesn’t use such words. In fact, she does and she seems to be the one who frequently uses it. But, it is the situation that they are in now that causes them to be surprised.

‘Soo-yeon, why are you talking like that?’ Ryeowook attempts to laugh it off but Jessica is not backing down.

‘First of all, my name is Jessica! Call me Soo-yeon one more time and you’ll have a hard time getting this out of your throat!’ Jessica stands up and says, holding a pair of chopsticks in her hands which she uses to threaten Ryeowook. ‘You think I don’t know what you’re up to, Kim Ryeowook? Selling off the studio, making money out of that transaction so that Hyoyeon can have a comfortable life? Bull! I saw everything that happened back there in the hospital! You only care about yourself! What you really plan to do is to sell the studio and keep the profit all to yourself!’

‘Jessica, what happened in the hospital?’ Taeyeon asks.

‘Taeyeon, remember when I said I would explain about the Ryeowook thing?’ Jessica asks and Taeyeon nods her head. ‘I requested to have a look at the hospital’s CCTV recordings and this bastard was there and I saw him running out of Hyoyeon’s room and Hyoyeon ran out of the room later on and she was screaming. He must have done something terrible to Hyoyeon for her act this way.’

‘I was there to visit my sister. Anything wrong with that? Be careful of what you say, Jessica. I can sue you for defamation.’ Ryeowook says coolly.

‘Oh, so you wanna talk about defamation now, huh? You think I’m afraid of you? Huh? You…you BASTARD!’ Jessica screams.

Ryeowook takes in a sharp breath of air and slams the table with his fists and stands up against Jessica. Jessica keeps her cool and does not seem the least bit intimidated by Ryeowook.

‘STOP CALLING ME A BASTARD! I’M NOT THE BASTARD! HYOYEON IS THE BASTARD!’ Ryeowook yells back.

‘DON’T YOU ING DARE CALL HER A BASTARD, YOU ING BASTARD!’ Jessica yells even louder. ‘You weren’t there to visit her! You were there to take her studio away, weren’t you? I may not have finished high school but I’m not stupid, Kim Ryeowook! I can smell a son of a from a mile away!’

An awkward silence fills the private room for a while. They remain in their respective position – Jessica standing up and pointing her finger at Ryeowook, Ryeowook up on his feet defending himself and Taeyeon sitting at her chair, speechless.

‘So what if that was my plan all along? She doesn’t need that stupid studio. I’m only taking back what should have been mine! She should be thankful that my dad was that generous to that vixen mother of hers!’ Ryeowook breaks the silence.

Taeyeon gasps when she hears that. ‘Omo! How could you say that? And I thought you’d have a change of heart but you are still the mean and evil Kim Ryeowook!’ she says.

‘I know you have the keys with you, Jessica. Give it to me.’ Ryeowook approaches the two women to get the key from Jessica. On quick thinking, Jessica takes the key out of her pocket, grabs hold of Taeyeon’s blouse and conveniently slips the key in her cleavage. Taeyeon, though a little shocked, looks at Ryeowook triumphantly.

‘What you gon do about that, huh?’ Jessica mocks.

‘Why you!’ Ryeowook gnashes his teeth. ‘Don’t think this is over yet, you crazy ! I will be back!’

‘Oh, really? I look forward to that! Taeyeon, let’s go. Lobster porridge or not, eating with this kind of…BASTARD will only cause damage to my image.’ Jessica grabs hold of Taeyeon’s hands and they leave the restaurant. When the waiter asks them about the bill, they tell the waiter to ‘get it from the real bastard inside.’

Although they are happy to have stood up for Hyoyeon, the two women nevertheless respond to the situation differently. For Taeyeon, she feels bad and she thinks that maybe they should just hand the keys to the studio to Ryeowook. As much as she hates to admit it, Ryeowook really is Hyoyeon’s only legal guardian left in this world. As for Jessica, telling off Ryeowook is the best thing she has done and she is literally skipping on her steps. So what if Ryeowook is Hyoyeon’s only legal guardian left in this world? To her, Hyoyeon has the right to choose what is best for her and Jessica understands that the studio is where Hyoyeon’s heart is and she will never give it up for anything in the world.

‘Yah, Sica…do you think we’ve done the right thing?’ Taeyeon asks as they walk together in the streets.

‘What are you trying to say now?’ Jessica eyes Taeyeon warily.

‘I mean, Ryeowook is Hyoyeon’s legal guardian after all and as much as I hate to say this, he really is the only family Hyoyeon has now. So…’

Jessica clicks her tongue when she hears Taeyeon’s explanation. Taeyeon sighs.

‘So, I guess what they say about housewives is true then?’ Jessica says casually.

‘What is that?’

‘Housewives are stupid because all they do is sit at home and they don’t know what’s going on in the world outside. And don’t tell me you trust Ryeowook to take care of Hyoyeon. Do you remember how he treated Hyoyeon when we were younger?’

The two women come by an overhead bridge and they stop to think things over.

‘Yes, I remember. I remember it all too well.’ Taeyeon says, her eyes not paying attention to anything in particular as her mind travels back in time to their younger days.


Hyoyeon, Taeyeon, Jessica and Tiffany were hanging at Hyoyeon’s dance studio on a fine weekend. Ever the dancer, Hyoyeon was perfecting her latest dance moves in front of the large mirror. The girls decided to join her as they had nothing to do. All was well, until…

‘YAH! TURN OFF THE MUSIC!’ A loud, disembodied voice was heard. It belonged to Ryeowook, Hyoyeon’s elder half-brother. Hyoyeon was particularly terrified of his sudden appearance but the other three wore annoyed expressions on their faces.

‘What are you doing here, oppa?’ Hyoyeon asked.

As though he had not heard her, Ryeowook picked up the boombox from the floor and slammed on the stop button forcefully. Hyoyeon let out a yelp and attempted to snatch the boombox back from Ryeowook but Ryeowook held it higher and Hyoyeon could not reach for it.

‘Oppa! Give it back! Please! This is my birthday present from umma!’ Hyoyeon begged.

‘Oh? A birthday present from your umma, huh? I will return it to you but on one condition. I want to hold a party in this place and I want you to help me.’ Ryeowook threatened.

‘But I can’t do that, oppa. Umma said no parties allowed in the studio.’ Hyoyeon said on the verge of tears.

‘Oh really? Then that’s too bad. I’m taking this with me.’ Ryeowook said and started to walk away from the girls.

‘Yah! Stop being so mean to Hyoyeon, will you? Just give the boombox back to her, you good-for-nothing bully!’ Tiffany said and caught up with Ryeowook and was engaged in a struggle for Hyoyeon’s boombox. Taeyeon, Hyoyeon and Jessica tried to help Tiffany but to no avail as Ryeowook managed to push all of them away and threatened them even further.

‘Come near me one more time and I promise you this will end up in the dumpster!’ Ryeowook said and held the boombox in such a way as if he was ready to hurl it to the floor.

‘NO!’ Hyoyeon cried.

‘Then get the party started if you know what’s good for you. I will be back in three hours and I want to see this place party-ready!’

With that, Ryeowook left the studio but not before glaring at the four of them intensely, which Taeyeon, Jessica and Tiffany returned. Hyoyeon collapsed to the ground and cried her eyes out. Her three best friends tried to comfort her but they all knew that whether they like it or not, they must make the party happen. They were at a loss after all and their only way out was to follow Ryeowook’s instruction.

‘We all know what this means, don’t we?’ Taeyeon said bitterly. Jessica and Tiffany nodded their heads while Hyoyeon cried even harder.

‘Don’t worry, Hyoyeon. We’ll make sure that everything runs smoothly.’ Jessica assured Hyoyeon.

‘We are all in this together.’ Tiffany said as they joined their hands, ready to get the party started.

***

‘I can’t believe that Ryeowook oppa is so mean!’ Sunny exclaimed as she finished tying a balloon up.

Although Hyoyeon initially refused to let Yoona and Sunny know what happened on the context of not wanting to trouble her friends any further, she relented when Taeyeon insisted that they must come and help out as well. Upon receiving the news of how Hyoyeon was treated, or rather, mistreated, they dropped their plans and rushed over to Hyoyeon’s studio to help their best friend out.

‘Honestly, when I first saw him, I know he’s up to no good and I was right!’ Yoona said as she scanned through Hyoyeon’s CD collection to pick some good music.

‘This is terrible! If only Hyoyeon was the daughter of the first wife, I bet Ryeowook would his pants when he hears Hyoyeon’s name.’ Tiffany said casually while arranging the tables.

The rest of the girls sans Hyoyeon immediately stopped what they were doing and glared at Tiffany. Feeling the awkward silence, Tiffany looked up from what she was doing and looked a little confused. When she realized what she had just said, she gasped and put a hand on . She quickly ran to Hyoyeon, whose eyes were downcast and sobbing, to apologize to her.

‘Hyoyeon, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean it. Really, I swear. I’m so, so, so sorry! You know how I am, right? Ugh! I’m such an idiot sometimes!’ Tiffany said.

‘It’s okay, Tiffany. I know you didn’t mean it. You’re right, you know. Maybe if I was the daughter of the first wife, oppa will probably his pants.’ Hyoyeon laughed bitterly through her tears and everyone felt sorry for her. Why must Hyoyeon suffer all this pain? What had she done wrong? ‘Why did all of you stop? Come on, we have to get a party started. Let’s finish this up quickly. Chop chop!’

Hyoyeon resumed what she was doing earlier on and ignored the girls’ sympathy towards her. They truly felt sorry for her but there really was nothing that they could do to help her. It was her family’s affair after all and no one should ever interfere in another’s family matters.

***

The party was in full swing by the time Ryeowook returned to the studio. He brought a bunch of his friends with him and they were partying like mad. The other girls just sat there and watched them party. They felt disgusted by Ryeowook and his friends. Just how mean and evil can Ryeowook be?

Suddenly, Hyoyeon turned off the music and announced that her mother is coming back. Everyone including the Girl’s Generation clique panicked. Ryeowook and his friends quickly left the studio but Hyoyeon grabbed hold of Ryeowook and demanded her boombox to be returned.

‘Ask your vixen umma to get you another one!’ was all Ryeowook had to say to Hyoyeon before forcefully shoving her aside. In a state of panic, the Girls’ Generation clique left the studio as well, leaving Hyoyeon all alone to clean up the mess. Halfway through running away from the studio, the girls stopped on a street to catch their breaths. They began to ponder over the choice they had made.

‘Yah, we shouldn’t just leave Hyoyeon like that. She’s our friend and we shouldn’t just ditch her.’ Jessica said.

‘But if we go back to the studio now her mom may be there already. Won’t we get ourselves into more trouble?’ Sunny reasoned.

‘Well, you do have a point…’ Tiffany said.

‘Yah! How can you say that? Hyoyeon’s our friend! Remember what we promised each other? Best friends forever! Is this how best friends treat best friends?’ Taeyeon said.

The girls fell silent and cast their eyes down.

‘Then why did you run away in the first place, Taeyeon?’ Yoona said and pointed a finger at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon felt a little embarrassed for having just given the girls a lecture on being best friends but also had a hand in ditching her own best friend. She felt like a hypocrite and she wanted to make it up to Hyoyeon. But Taeyeon being Taeyeon at that time was pretty defensive.

‘What about the rest of you? You ran away as well. Don’t try to put the blame on me alone.’ Taeyeon said.

‘Oyamaa! Can we stop wasting time and just get back to the studio?’ Jessica said and took the lead in going back to the studio. The other girls followed suit.

When they returned to the studio, they heard Hyoyeon sobbing and a woman’s voice lecturing her. They peeked from behind a cupboard and they saw Hyoyeon being scolded by her mother.

‘What did I tell you about partying in the studio? Why is it so hard for you to follow instructions? Your father is going to give us a hard time if he hears about this.’ Hyoyeon’s mother said.

‘Umma…I’m sorry…I won’t do this again. I won’t ever again…sorry…’ Hyoeyon sobbed.

‘No, I’m the one who should be sorry. If I hadn’t met your father, none of this would have happened.’ Hyoyeon’s mother started to cry and embraced Hyoyeon in a tight hug. ‘Promise me, you’ll grow up to be a useful person.’

‘I promise you, umma. I’ll make you proud. I’ll grow up to be a useful person.’

From behind the cupboard, the other five girls saw the mother and daughter exchange before them and tears rolled down their cheeks as well.


Life hadn’t exactly been kind towards Hyoyeon when she was a teenage girl and her problems only seem to intensify further when she reaches adulthood. She is now literally lying on her bed in the mental hospital, looking up at the ceiling with a blank expression. She does not even notice that Jessica and Taeyeon are there to visit her. The two women sigh as they see her laying there, her face devoid of emotion.

‘One problem after another…just when will it end for our poor Hyoyeon?’ Taeyeon says, gently sweeping Hyoyeon’s hair back with her fingers.

‘This is going to take a long time. How is she going to fight for her studio if she’s like this?’ Jessica says.

When she hears the word ‘studio’, Hyoyeon’s eyes twitches and she begins to mumble something. Taeyeon and Jessica lean in closer to get a clearer understanding of what Hyoyeon is trying to say.

‘Studio…my studio…gone…gone…my dream…the dream is gone! The dream is gone! I’ve woken up from my dream! The studio is no more!’ Hyoyeon shoots up from the bed as hot tears stream down her face.

‘Hyo, don’t worry. It’s us. We won’t let anything happen to your studio. We’re best friends, remember?’ Taeyeon tries to soothe Hyoyeon.

Hyoyeon looks at Taeyeon blankly, as though Taeyeon is a stranger. Then, she starts to recognize who Taeyeon is and she smiles. She grabs hold of Taeyeon’s hands and she looks at Jessica. Her smile broadens.

‘Kim Taeyeon! Jung Soo-yeon! You will help me, won’t you?’ Hyoyeon asks.

‘Of course we will, Hyoyeon. We are your friends.’ Jessica says and doesn’t even seem to mind Hyoyeon calling her by her real name.

 ‘Yes, Hyoyeon. You still have us. Don’t you worry about a thing, okay?’ Taeyeon says.

‘Then…that’s great! You’re my best friend, right? I’ll give you everything! Everything! Here! Take it, take my studio. I’ll give you everything! I only trust you now so you have to take it!’ Hyoyeon shoves a pile of paper into Taeyeon’s hands. Taeyeon looks at the paper and it has Hyoyeon’s signature on it.

‘You are my only hope now. Please…help me…’ Hyoyeon says as her eyes starts to water again.

***

Hyoyeon falls asleep not long after Taeyeon and Jessica manage to calm her down. Taeyeon and Jessica return to the studio and they come to a conclusion that Hyoyeon must have intended for the papers to be some sort of power of attorney to transfer the ownership of her studio to someone else.

‘You were good in imitating people’s handwriting, remember? Just imitate Hyoyeon’s handwriting and write whatever you want in it.’

That is Jessica’s suggestion to Taeyeon but her mind is in a mess when she returns home that night. For once in her life, Taeyeon is thankful that neither her mother-in-law nor her daughter gives her any more problems in addition to the big one she has at hand. She wishes that Dong Wook is with her as she prepares to go to bed that night. For Taeyeon, Dong Wook is the ultimate problem solver and he would have known what to do. But now, she is left all alone to face this problem. She tosses and turns in bed and finally decides to get up and reach for the pile of papers that Hyoyeon has given her earlier. She picks up a pen and begins writing.

***

The next morning, Taeyeon goes to the studio to check up on its condition and to see whether Jessica is doing her part in taking good care of it. The two women seem to be on more civil terms now although Jessica still acts a little y towards Taeyeon, who by now is already immune to it. Jessica offers Taeyeon a cup of coffee while she enjoys a traditional Western breakfast. The two chat about the studio’s current condition when Ryeowook enters the studio, taking them by surprise.

‘I told you I will be back.’ Ryeowook says. He is not alone. There is another man with him. Taeyeon and Jessica look at each other, not quite sure who the man is.

‘What do you want now, bastard?’ Jessica says.

Ryeowook clicks his tongue. ‘I wouldn’t use that kind of word if I were you, Jessica. Allow me to introduce you to my lawyer, Mr. Hong. Mr. Hong, can I sue her for defamation for the word that she just used on me?’

‘Of course, Mr. Kim.’ Mr. Hong says. Ryeowook smirks.

‘Why you little – ‘ Jessica starts but Taeyeon quickly stops her.

‘But, I don’t like to waste time on unimportant matters. Let’s move on to more important things. Pack your bags, leave and hand me the keys to the studio.’ Ryeowook says.

‘Oh yeah? Why should I listen to you?’ Jessica challenges.

‘Because if you don’t do as I say, we’ll have to evict you and possibly sue you for trespassing. Right, Mr. Hong?’ Ryeowook says and turns to Mr. Hong for confirmation, who nods his head. ‘Be quick. Don’t waste my time.’

‘I don’t think so.’ Taeyeon suddenly speaks. Jessica and Ryeowook look at her in confusion. Does Taeyeon have something up her sleeves? ‘Because I am now the owner of this studio and because I am the owner, I want you to leave.’

Ryeowook looks at Taeyeon for about five seconds before bursting into laughter. Jessica pulls Taeyeon aside and asks her what she is up to. Taeyeon whispers what she has done last night into Jessica’s ears and Jessica’s lips slowly crease into a smile.

‘Oh…stop…what is this? A joke? You are the owner?’ Ryeowook says after laughing for about five minutes.

‘Well, of course I am not joking. Perhaps you wouldn’t laugh when I show you this.’ Taeyeon says. She then takes a piece of paper out of her bag and flashes it before Ryeowook. ‘This is the power of attorney from Hyoyeon appointing me to take ownership of the studio. As the new owner of the studio, I want you out of the studio now!’

Ryeowook looks at the piece of paper intensely for about thirty seconds before bursting into laughter again. Only this time he is laughing so hard he has to hold on to his abdomen.

‘Oh please, Taeyeon. You really are a funny one. This is not valid under the law. Right, Mr. Hong?’ Ryeowook says but Mr. Hong remains silent. ‘Mr. Hong?’ Ryeowook says again.

‘Well, Mr. Kim, this is actually valid under the law. As long as the power of the attorney is written with the intention of the owner and in the owner’s own words and signature, it is valid.’ Mr. Hong says.

‘Come on, Mr. Hong. Think of something quick! There must be something we can do about this!’

‘I’m sorry, Mr. Kim. But there is nothing we can do for now.’

At this point, Ryeowook goes pale. Jessica and Taeyeon look at him triumphantly.

‘What are you still waiting for, Ryeowook oppa~? You want me to sue you for trespassing? Huh?’ Jessica says.

‘Ugh! Don’t you dare think that you have won! I will be back again! Just you wait and see!’ Ryeowook says.

‘I am so looking forward to it…BASTARD! Now leave before I sweep you and your lawyer out with a broom!’ Jessica threatens. Ryeowook and Mr. Hong leave the studio in disappointment. Ryeowook can still be heard cursing and expressing his disappointment when he steps out of the studio.

‘Yes, we did it!’ Taeyeon says and attempts to hug Jessica but Jessica brushes her off. Taeyeon rolls her eyes but nevertheless, she is still happy that Ryeowook is gone. For now.

While Jessica continues eating her breakfast, Taeyeon sees the old radio that they used to listen to when they were in high school. She smiles to herself and turns on the radio.

‘Welcome back to the show, people. Before we reveal this week’s number one, let’s go way back to 20 years ago when Seo Taiji crashed all the way up to number one with Barhaereul Ggumggumyeo.’

Wow! 20 years already? Taeyeon thinks to herself. Barhaereul Ggumggumyeo was the song that the Girls’ Generation gang used to listen to in high school and it was also the song that influenced the name of their group.


The girls were in their classroom during recess. They decided to stay back in the classroom since they brought their lunchboxes to school that day.

‘Yah, did you hear Seo Taiji’s new song? I’m addicted to it and I’m gonna start devising some new dance steps to it soon.’ Hyoyeon said.

‘Yesshh!! Sunny said with full.

‘Sunny! How many times do we have to tell you not to talk with your mouth full?’ Yoona scolded.

‘I guess we could really dance to it since you know, it seems to be the only dance song he’s releasing this year.’ Tiffany said.

‘Yup, you’re right. Hey, talking about Seo Taiji, what do you say we give our group a name?’ Taeyeon suggested.

‘Hontou ka? That would be so cool!’ Jessica said.

‘I think we should call ourselves the Badass Chicks because we’re pretty badass.’ Tiffany said.

‘Not buying it.’ Yoona said.

‘Definitely not.’ Sunny chipped in.

‘What about…Dream Team? If you think about it, we really are a dream team.’ Hyoyeon said.

‘It’s nice but it’s cheesy.’ Tiffany said.

‘What about…Girls’ Generation?’ Taeyeon said. Everyone looked at her with a certain kind of interest, as though waiting for her to fill them in. ‘Well, think about this; we all love Seo Taiji and Boys and they are the generation of boys that everyone seems to be interested in now. And I think the reason why everyone is interested in them is because of the passion they have, the drive they have and their youthful energy. We can be just like them, the Girl’s Generation! As long as we keep that drive and passion in us, we can create countless memories together and though we may grow old but when we look back, we’ll be reminded of the way we were when we were younger.’

There was a brief silence as every one of them thought about what Taeyeon had to explain about the name Girl’s Generation. Eventually, a smile formed on each of their faces which meant that they had all agreed to the name Girls’ Generation.

‘Well…I guess from now on, we’ll be known as…’ Yoona started.

‘GIRLS’ GENERATION!’ the rest of the girls chimed in.


Taeyeon is not the only one listening to the radio program that day. Although Jessica is busy with her own affairs, she pays close attention to the song and her mind is flooded with memories of her high school days spent with the Girls’ Generation members.


Yoona is sitting at the counter of the bar during the non-peak hours when the song comes on the radio. She too, is reminded of the happy days she spent with the Girls’ Generation members. The last 20 years hasn’t been exactly easy for her but knowing that she has been friends with the girls for the last 20 years puts a smile on her face.


As usual, Gu Ra, Sunny’s husband, scolds her for not bringing in any business for the company before leaving the office to meet with a client. At that time, the Seo Taiji song is on radio and Sunny smiles and sings along happily to it as she recalls the various moments she has shared with Girls’ Generation. Having been friends with the other Girls’ Generation members for 20 years has definitely made her life more colorful and interesting. She wonders if they would continue to create more meaningful memories together for the next 20 years.


Tiffany is taking a short break in her office. She opens the radio app on her phone and she hears Barhaereul Ggumggumyeo. She hums along to the tune of the song, a bittersweet smile etched on her face as the bittersweet memories she has shared with Girls’ Generation comes back to her. Although she hasn’t been in touch with any of her Girls’ Generation friends for quite some time, she still considers them to be her friends and the only true friends she has. 20 years of friendship is really something.


Annyeong, Girls’ Generation! It’s our 20th anniversary! Can you believe it? We have had so many meaningful memories together and I believe that no matter what it is, good or bad, we are and have always been friends. This is an occasion worth celebrating and I would like to invite all of you to attend our 20th anniversary party in Hyoyeon’s studio. See you there! You can’t say no, anyway. ^_^
-Taeyeon-


A/N: I hope I didn't too badly at this update. Let me know what you think, alright? :)