Episode 1

Girls' Generation

June 28, 1995

It may be summer but it was raining heavily during this summer night. Even in the heavy rain, a girl was seen running around frantically, trying to find a cab for an unexpected emergency. 

'Taxi! Taxi!' A tall, slim and pretty girl called out to a passing cab but the driver just drove past her, ignoring her cries for him to stop.

This girl was Im Yoona, the prettiest and most popular girl in Soo Man High. Even though she was pretty and also happened to be quite popular, it meant nothing if it could not help her hail a cab.  Well, it was understandable why the cab driver refused to stop. It was raining heavily after all. Who in their right mind would want to stop?

'What the heck! Ugh!' Yoona groaned.

'Yoona! Yoona ah!' A slightly high-pitched voice could be heard calling out Yoona's name. Yoona turned to the direction of the voice. It was Lee Soon Kyu.

Lee Soon Kyu, or Sunny, was the cheerful and happy-go-lucky friend of Yoona. But looking at her expression and her frantic running with the umbrella in her hand, Yoona could tell it was bad news.

'Sunny!' Yoona screamed and ran towards Sunny. 'I can't get a cab!'

'Forget about the cab! She can't take it anymore!' Sunny cried.

Yoona nodded and she went with Sunny hand-in-hand back to the dance studio, their usual after school hangout place. Once they reached the studio, a loud, deafening scream was heard. Yoona and Sunny looked at each other worriedly before joining their other friends.

'Taeyeon, how is she?' Yoona asked.

'I don't think she can take it any longer. She's in a lot of pain!' Taeyeon said.

Kim Taeyeon was the de facto leader of this group of girl clique who called themselves Girls' Generation. Ever the leader, she remained calm and collected on the outside despite the life threatening situation before her. However, on the inside, she was just as nervous as anyone.

'Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Hurry!!!!!!!!' Jessica cried, squeezing Taeyeon's hands. Due to the pain caused by Jessica's vice-like grip, Taeyeon screamed together with her.

Jessica, real name Jung Soo-yeon, was the Japanese-born member of Girls' Generation. She was currently going through labor pain as she was about to give birth. Jessica was 16...and pregnant.

'Tiffany! Call the ambulance!' Taeyeon ordered.

'W-Wha..? Should we really? I mean we're gonna get into trouble if we do that.' Tiffany said.

'Damn it! Just call the ambulance!' Taeyeon said once more. Tiffany quickly went over to the telephone.

Tiffany Hwang was born in the United States. Due to her American upbringing, she was a lot more outgoing than any of the girls but in situations like this, she panicked. Although she was known for her motormouth, her 'skill' could not save her friend Jessica or her baby now, could it?

'Omo! Jessica...did you...did you just pee...?' Kim Hyoyeon asked.

Kim Hyoyeon was the Dancing Queen of Soo Man High and she was also the owner of the apartment--dance studio Jessica was about to give birth in. She could be quite naive as shown in this situation here.

'No, Hyoyeon. She's not peeing! Her waters just broke! The baby can come out anytime now!' Yoona  said. Since Yoona was always one step ahead of the girls in more, uh-hum, adult matters, she knew best.

At this point, everyone panicked. Tiffany was too shocked that she forgot to make the call. The baby could come out anytime soon! What should they do?

Sunny reached over to Jessica and tied a red string around her wrist. Everyone, including Jessica who was in extreme pain, looked at her in confusion.

'It's to protect the mother and the baby.' Sunny explained. Sunny was also the most superstitious one of the group.

'We don't need that now! We need to deliver the baby!' Taeyeon reasoned.

'I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE! JUST LET ME DIE ALREADY!' Jessica screamed at the top of her lungs.

'Sica, calm down, okay? We're gonna get your baby for you.' Taeyeon cooed. 'Does anyone here knows how to deliver a baby?'

But of course it was a stupid question. The girls were in their teens and none had given birth before and the topic of ed was out of the question...maybe except for Yoona.

'Yoona, are there any mentions of home delivery in those adult magazines you read?' Tiffany asked.

Yoona thought long and hard and suddenly, her eyes brightened.

'I got it! I will need some towels, scissors and hot water.' Yoona said.

'Okay. Sunny, you go get the scissors. Tiffany, get the towels. Hyoyeon, go boil some hot water. Yoona, I need you to stay here and help me with this.' Taeyeon said. Yoona nodded.

As soon as everyone got the stuff that Yoona mentioned, they attempted to help Jessica with the delivery of her baby. It was a painful and tedious affair as Jessica was screaming and shouting non-stop. Her friends cheered her on and encouraged her to push harder whenever she said she wanted to give up. At one point, Jessica bit Taeyeon's forearm when the pain became unbearable. When Taeyeon screamed, everyone screamed together with her. After what seemed like forever, Yoona squealed and clapped her hands when she saw the baby's head.

'Just a little bit more, Jessica! Go on and push!' Yoona exclaimed.

Her friends continued to urge her to push the baby out. Not long after, a baby's cry was heard and Jessica breathed a sigh of relief. Taeyeon held her hands and smiled. Jessica returned the smile weakly. Yoona carried the baby in her arms, wrapped in a red towel. Sunny, Tiffany and Hyoyeon surrounded Yoona and kept on complimenting the baby's features, all the while smiling and laughing.

The heavy rain continued on through the night but Jessica's friends were still by her side with her newborn baby girl.

'Why don't you guys help me name my baby?' Jessica suggested, holding the baby in her arms.

'My mom always says the best way to name a baby is to look at the date of birth and see what is lacking during the baby's birth. Let me go check it out.' Sunny said.

'I know what's lacking during the baby's birth! The father is lack -'

Before Tiffany could finish her sentence, she stopped right away when everyone stared daggers at her. She quickly apologized to Jessica for her mistake. Jessica only managed a sigh.

'Honestly, I have no confidence in taking care of the baby alone. I really don't know what am I going to do.' Jessica lamented.

'Silly girl! We're not gonna let you take care of the baby alone! We're Girls' Generation! We're never gonna leave you behind! Right, guys?' Taeyeon said.

'That's right! There are five godmothers here to take care of your little girl. Don't you worry about a thing.' Yoona said.

If we took a holiday
Took some time to celebrate
Just one day out of life
It would be, it would be so nice

 

The radio was playing Madonna's Holiday at that time. The station was doing a special retro hits program and it just so happened that Holiday was playing at that time.

'I know now! I'm gonna name her Madonna! Baby Madonna!' Jessica said.

'Yes, that's a good name. Hey little Madonna, we're gonna have so much fun together, right?' Sunny said, the baby's cheeks and smiling.

'Annyeong, Baby Madonna. Taeyeon umma is here. You'll grow up to be as beautiful and talented as Madonna, won't you?' Taeyeon took the baby from Jessica and rocked her gently.

'And I'm Tiffany umma. We're gonna share so many juicy gossips, right, Baby Madonna?' Tiffany smiled sweetly at the baby.

'I'm Yoona umma, sweet Baby Madonna. I was the one who taught these silly ummas how to get you out from your umma.' Yoona joked.

'Yah! Don't listen to her, Madonna. When you're old enough, Hyoyeon umma's gonna teach you how to dance like Madonna, okay?' Hyoyeon linked her baby finger to Cyndi's tiny fingers and smiled.

The whole room was filled with warmth and happiness despite the pouring rain outside. There was so much motherly love emanating from the teenage girls. But no matter what, they were only teenagers. How much do they know about taking care of a baby?

A few months later...

'Why didn't anybody say anything before leaving the house? What if something happens to Baby Madonna?' Taeyeon ran up the stairs leading to the dance studio. 'What? The door's unlocked!'

'Quick, go check on Baby Madonna.' Hyoyeon said.

Taeyeon rushed to the room where Baby Madonna should be lying in her cot. But she went wide eyed when she saw the cot. It was empty!

'Hyoyeon! Hyoyeon!' Taeyeon cried, running out of the room.

'What is it?' Hyoyeon said.

'Baby Madonna! She's gone!'

'Gone? What do you mean gone?'

Hyoyeon ran to the room to find the cot empty just like how Taeyeon discovered it to be moments ago.

'Omo! We're in so much trouble!' Hyoyeon covered , tears about to spill from her eyes.

Later that day...

'WHERE IS MY BABY?' Jessica demanded.

'Sica, we're sorry. We -' Taeyeon started.

'SORRY? IS THAT ALL YOU'RE GOING TO SAY TO ME?' Jessica shouted, tears rolling down her cheeks. 'What about you? Or you? Or you? And you!'

Yoona, Tiffany, Hyoyeon and Sunny hung their head in shame one by one as Jessica confronted them. They were supposed to be taking care of Baby Madonna while Jessica was out working but instead of taking care of the baby, they were occupied with their own plans and now Baby Madonna had gone missing. 


Those were the days...if one could utter these few words, it means that it was all in the past. And for Kim Taeyeon, 'those were the days' is something that she wants to revisit. If only she can, that is.

'KIM TAEYEON!'

A shrill, cold voice calls out, breaking Taeyeon's reverie. Taeyeon looks up to find that it is the woman she fears the most. If you think that Miranda Priestly was scary, well, you ain't seen nothing yet! At least, that's what Taeyeon always tells herself.

'Oh, jangmonim. Can I help you?' Taeyeon quickly gets up from her seat and goes over to her mother-in-law.

'Why is the tea so cold? I thought I told you to change it before I come back in.'

'I'm so sorry, jangmonim. Here I'll -'

'No need for that anymore! Can't even do anything right.' Taeyeon's mother-in-law glares at her for a second. Taeyeon gulps. 'Here, read the instructions for me.' She then hands over a bottle of pills to Taeyeon. Taeyeon takes the bottle and studies it for a while.

'Jangmonim, are you sick? What is this?' Taeyeon asks out of concern.

'It's a supplement to help prepare my voice when I sing. Stop asking so many questions and just read for me.'

Taeyeon fiddles with the bottle for a while, trying to find the instructions. When she finds it, she smiles but just when she wants to read it, she squints a little bit. The words are too small!

'What's wrong? Your eyesight's getting poorer, huh?'

'What? Of course not. It says, uh, take two pills three times a day.' Taeyeon says and gives the bottle back to her mother-in-law.

'Baek-joo, you are so lucky to have such a good daughter-in-law.' A woman who appears to be in her late 50s to early 60s says. She is a friend of Taeyeon's mother-in-law and also one of her singing partners.

Taeyeon's mother-in-law likes to sing and is always hanging out with her group of friends who like to sing as well as perform. This is one of the days where Taeyeon's mother-in-law is slated to perform so she is sitting patiently at the backstage to wait for her mother-in-law to finish rehearsing. Taeyeon is always bored whenever she follows her mother-in-law out because she only sing the oldies of her time, none of which Taeyeon is familiar with. However, she cannot say no to her mother-in-law because she knows her mother-in-law always wins an argument. So, there really is no point in arguing with her.

'Good? What a joke, Choon-hwa. If she's so good, then she wouldn't have forgotten about changing my tea.'

Taeyeon looks down in embarrassment as the two older women share a laugh out of her expense.

'Taeyeon.' There goes the chilly voice of her mother-in-law again.

'Yes, jangmonim?' Taeyeon quickly looks up.

'Go buy some cakes and pastries for tea time. And don't you dare buy that peach cream puff again!'

'Okay, I will go get it.' Taeyeon says and collects her purse.

As Taeyeon walks out of the make up room, she breaths a sigh of relief and happiness. Finally, she is out of that woman's clutch! Even though her mother-in-law is overbearing, Taeyeon still considers herself lucky because she married the best husband anyone could ever ask for. Their marriage produced one daughter. Taeyeon recalls how sweet and innocent her daughter was when she was just a little girl. As she is walking to the bakery and reminded of the good old times with her daughter, she can't help but smile. Just then, her phone rings. It is her daughter, Min-young.

'Hello, Min-young?' Taeyeon answers.

'Umma, I'm not coming home for dinner tonight. I'm studying at Sun-mi's house.'

'Aww...again, deary?'

'Yes, umma. Major exam coming up.'

'Hmm...okay then. Don't be -'

'Yeah, I won't come home too late. Bye.'

Taeyeon hears a click and she knows that Min-young has already hung up. She huffs and enters the bakery. One moment, she was thinking about her daughter's innocence and sweet behavior and in the next moment, her daughter calls her to inform her that she is not coming home for dinner and even hangs up on her before she could finish talking. The irony of it all.

Taeyeon makes her orders, pays for everything and is on her way back to the karaoke center when a bill on a lamp post catches her attention. She studies the bill and it turns out be an ad for a dance studio. The ad urges anyone interested in taking dancing lessons to call the number stated there. Taeyeon looks closer and she reads the name of the dance studio out loud.

'Hyoyeon Dance Studio...Hyoyeon? Kim Hyoyeon?'

Taeyeon looks at the address stated in the ad and it is indeed the address of the studio that she frequents when she was a teenager. She wonders if Hyoyeon still owns the studio and what she's up to now. Is she still chasing after her dream? Is she still dancing at all? She decides to pay the studio a visit to find out herself.

When Taeyeon arrives at the place the studio is located, she finds out that a lot of things has changed but surprisingly, only Hyoyeon's studio seems to remain unchanged. Sure enough, there is a sign outside one particular unit that says 'Hyoyeon Dance Studio'. Before Taeyeon can enter the studio, a couple of middle-aged ahjummas walk out of the studio. They exchange smiles and greetings with Taeyeon before going on their way. When Taeyeon looks back in again, a familiar looking lady is standing in front of her. She has golden blonde hair that is obviously dyed since it is fading and she is dressed in sports gear; a sweater on top, a pair of loose yoga pants and a pair of worn out trainers. They look at each other for a good few seconds before they call out each other's names.

'KIM HYOYEON!'

'KIM TAEYEON!'

Both women are so excited to see each other that they scream and hug each other right away. 

'Omo! How have you been?' Taeyeon asks.

'Still the old me,' Hyoyeon shrugs. 'Still doing what I love, still chasing after that one trophy I've been aiming for years!'

'How's everyone?'

'My dad died.' Hyoyeon answers Taeyeon with a blank expression. Taeyeon gasps.

'Omo..I'm so sorry...how's your mom, then?'

'She died not long after.' Hyoyeon answers Taeyeon with that same blank expression, only this time she charges towards Taeyeon, scaring Taeyeon a little as she takes a few steps back.

'Oh...I'm really sorry to hear about that, Hyoyeon.'

Hyoyeon shrugs again. 'That's life. Anyway, how come I've never heard from you in such a long time?' Hyoyeon frowns and points an accusing finger at Taeyeon.

'Well...' Taeyeon sets down the cakes and pastries at the table. 'I got married not long after finishing high school. Then, my husband wanted to expand his business in China so I followed him and we were there for a few years. I just returned to Korea about eight years ago before my daughter started high school.'

'Omo, you sound like you're living a happy life. I'm so happy for you, Taeyeon.'

Taeyeon laughs bitterly. 'I wish. Try living with my mother-in-law for one day and you will know how happy I am.' Taeyeon does the inverted comma hand sign when she says the word happy.

'That's why I've always maintained the belief of not getting married and I was right! But still, it can't be too bad for you, right?'

'I guess you can say that. At least my husband understands me and tries not to make life any harder for me. By the way, do you still keep in touch with any of our friends?'

'Not really. Everyone has been so busy with their own lives since we finished high school, it's like we don't have time for friends anymore. But I've heard a thing or two about some of them. Sunny is married and she invited me to her wedding but I had to pass because I had a competition. The sad thing was I did not win. I wanted to see Tiffany off at the airport before she leaves for her studies but I really had to practice for my competition which sadly, I did not win again. Tiffany has since disappeared. I have no idea what she's up to now. And Yoona...someone told me she's running a bar. But of course, you know I have no time for bars or drinking because I can't waste money and time on these things. I have yet to win my individual trophy!' 

When Hyoyeon finishes her sentence, she is holding on to Taeyeon's shoulders, as though she is trying to imprison Taeyeon in the studio. And if that is not scary enough, Hyoyeon is flashing Taeyeon a creepy smile and chuckling.

'Wow...okay...I hope I'm not interrupting you...' Taeyeon slowly plucks Hyoyeon's hands off her shoulders.

'Of course not! Wait, since you're here, let's dance! Come on, it would be fun just like the old times!'

'What? No, that's fine, Hyo. I haven't dance in god knows how long, I don't think I can do it anymore.'

'Why don't you watch me dance, then? Huh?' Hyoyeon asks with eager eyes. Taeyeon chuckles and nods her head.

As Hyoyeon shows Taeyeon her dance, Taeyeon takes a look around the studio. Even after all these years, the dance studio still remains the same just like the way it was all those years ago. Posters of Hyoyeon's favorite singers and actors are still up on the wall and the framed photographs of the girls, Girls' Generation, are still there on the shelves. Taeyeon picks up one of the framed photographs with all of the members of Girls' Generation in it together with a baby girl. Taeyeon instantly feels sad.

'You still feeling bad about it?' Hyoyeon asks. Taeyeon does not even notice when she stops dancing. 

'How could I not?' Taeyeon turns to face Hyoyeon. 'I am to blame after all.'

'I know how it feels...'

Both women sigh.

'Then...did you...any news about Jessica?' Taeyeon asks.

'She has changed. I saw her shopping for bags and shoes a few days ago and by the looks of it, I think she has found some money or at least married a rich guy.'

'So, you've seen her. Did you talk to her?'

'Yeah, we exchanged our phone numbers and the best part is she promised to come watch my competition in two days' time! Taeyeon, I've been practicing my whole life for this! So, you have to come, too!'

Taeyeon is taken aback with Hyoyeon's sudden request. 'I can't promise you that, Hyo.'

'Why not? I thought we were friends!' Hyoyeon says in a dramatic tone.

'Of course we are friends.' Taeyeon sighs before continuing. 'I'll try my best to come, okay?'

Hyoyeon thinks about what Taeyeon has said and nods her head. After some more small chats, Taeyeon is on her way back to meet her mother-in-law. On her way back, Taeyeon thinks back to the time when she and Jessica first met.


'Taeyeon! This is Jung Soo-yeon. She's my mom's friend's daughter.'

Hyoyeon, Taeyeon and Jessica, then still known as Jung Soo-yeon, were in Hyoyeon's dance studio. Jessica had just arrived in Korea from Japan. Jessica had been living in Japan ever since she was born. Her father was posted there by his company so the whole family went along. Jessica's mother was pregnant with her at the time they moved. Unfortunately, the company went bankrupt and it would be many years later before they made enough money to send Jessica back to Korea because her parents believed that she would have a better life there. Her parents promised her that they would go back to Korea as soon as they finish paying off their debts. At that time, Jessica was living with her aunt in Korea.

'Hajimemae, Taeyeon-san.' Jessica bowed her head low and greeted Taeyeon in Japanese. Taeyeon found it a bit amusing and laughed. Jessica blushed and hung her head low in embarrassment.

'Soo-yeon was born and raised in Japan. So, she's more accustomed to Japanese culture.' Hyoyeon explained.

'But, I can speak Korean, too. Really.' Jessica quickly added.

Taeyeon laughed again but was quick to speak. 'Hey, I like you. We're gonna be best friends. Where do you go to school?'

'Soo Man High. Just transferred.' Jessica said in broken sentences.

'Omo! Same school with us?' Taeyeon looked at Hyoyeon and Hyoyeon nodded her head furiously. 'We are so hanging out, Soo-yeon!'

'Thank you for being my friend, Taeyeon-san.' Jessica bowed her head again.

'Yah! You don't have to be so formal with us. Just talk like how friends talk.' Hyoyeon said.

Jessica looked uncertain for a while but she nodded and a genuine smile formed on her face. That particular day marked the beginning of Taeyeon and Jessica's friendship.


Taeyeon and her husband retire to their bedroom shortly after dinner that night. Taeyeon's husband, Lee Dong Wook, notices how Taeyeon is particularly happy that night as she hums along to a song she just made up on the spot as she goes through her night skincare routine.

'Someone seems very happy today.' Dong Wook says, wrapping his arms around Taeyeon.

'Yeobo, you know what? I never thought that I'd meet my old friend again but I did! And it brought back so many memories!' Taeyeon exclaims.

'Really? Why don't you tell me about them? I've never heard you say anything about your friends before.'

'Really? You wanna hear about them?'

'Sure, why not?'

'Come sit beside me.' Taeyeon pats the empty spot next to her. Dong Wook promptly takes his seat next to Taeyeon.

'Well, when I was in high school, I had a bunch of friends and we call ourselves Girls' Generation.' Taeyeon begins.

'Girls' Generation? That's a cheesy name.' Dong Wook chuckles. Taeyeon crinkles her nose and playfully beats her husband's chest.

'Anyway, there were six of us. There was Hyoyeon, our dancing diva; Yoona, the most popular and prettiest girl in school; Sunny, the happy-go-lucky one; Tiffany, the one who can't shut up and Jessica...'

Dong Wook notices the change in Taeyeon's tone when she mentions Jessica's name. 'Is there something special with this Jessica?'

Taeyeon sighs before she speaks again. 'We were the closest in Girls' Generation but we haven't been in touch for a long, long time.'

'Why don't you guys keep in touch anymore?'

'Well...something happened between us...' Taeyeon is suddenly interested in her nails.

'Okay, let's not talk about Jessica, then. What about the others?' Dong Wook says, ever the understanding husband.

'I met Hyoyeon today and omo! I can't believe it! She is still living in that studio and is still dancing and is still chasing after her dreams after all these years! That girl...I really have to hand it to her.'

'So, now that you've met Hyoyeon, do you plan on meeting with the others?'

'Yeobo!' Taeyeon suddenly looks at Dong Wook, all serious.

'W-What now?' Dong Wook stutters.

'You are just so smart! You just gave me an idea! I'm gonna look for them, one by one, and we're gonna have a big partyyyy!' Taeyeon says excitedly.

'Even with Jessica?'

'What do you mean even with Jessica? She's part of Girls' Generation, too! Of course she's gonna be there!'

'Well, then I guess it's good luck to you? Whatever you do, remember you always have my back.'

'Yeobo, you're just the sweetest thing ever! Hmm...I wonder how the others are doing.'


A bespactacled woman, dressed meticulously from head to toe with her hair slicked back in a ponytail, exits her office. The title on the door reads 'Director of Public Affairs'. She goes to the car park to collect her car. Just then, a message comes in for her. She checks her phone. Dinner cancelled. She takes off her glasses and finds some alcohol on the passenger seat. Without giving it a second thought, she drinks right from the bottle. 

The old her would have threw a tantrum and even cursed out loud and someone would have to stop her. But now, Tiffany Hwang is no longer the motor mouth she is known to be, choosing instead to suffer in silence.

Is this all I'll ever be? Tiffany thinks to herself.


In another corner of the city, in a bar located somewhere near the commercial district, a young woman with curly brown hair is busy cleaning up a spot where someone just threw up. When another customer is calling her impatiently, she directs her staff to go take the orders from the customer. Once she is done cleaning, she goes to the counter and performs cash register duties. When the crowd slowly disperse, she dials home to check on her mother. When there is no answer, she instructs her staff to take care of the bar and lock up if she does not return while she goes home to attend to her sickly mother.

Im Yoona has always been a busy girl, jetsetting here and there while she was still a flight attendant. But it's kinda ironic how her life becomes even more hectic after she quit her job.


A short, plump woman is cooking happily in the kitchen. She has always been happy-go-lucky and a smile is always on her face. Her husband calls out from the living room to ask if dinner is ready. She replies him saying that it will be ready soon.

Lee Soon Kyu is still as Sunny as ever. There is nothing Sunny enjoys more than spending time with her husband but does her husband feels the same way?


In a five star hotel somewhere in the prestigious Gangnam-gu, a woman with light brown hair is enjoying her private spa treatment. She receives a call halfway and she answers it.

'Yes, darling?'

When she first arrived in Korea, she had a hard time conversing in Korean, her mother tongue. But as of right now, Jessica Jung Soo-yeon is fluent not only in Japanese and Korean, but also in English, which she uses everyday with her fiance. The wheel of fortune has definitely turned for her and she is no longer the 'Korean who speaks Japanese'.


Meanwhile, a British Airways plane from London, England just landed at Incheon International Airport. A sweet, innocent looking young girl walks out to the arrival hall and she has, among other things, a red string tied on her wrist. She takes out a 'Speak Korean' handbook from her backpack and flips through the page to make sure that she gets the pronounciation right. She may be Korean but growing up in England means she has little opportunity to speak her native language. 

Umma, appa, how are you doing? God, please keep them both safe and healthy. She said a little prayer in her heart.

Who is she?