Episode 3

Girls' Generation

Sunny is sitting at a corner table all by herself in the My Coffee Story coffee house. She is waiting for Taeyeon, who has accepted her invitation to join her for a cup of coffee to catch up over the lost years. She arrives 15 minutes earlier than her appointment time. Since she still has some time, Sunny checks her horoscope app to read her predictions for the day. After she finishes reading, she puts her phone down and looks around the coffee house when she sees a woman sporting a side ponytail, dressed in a white tunic with black leggings to match entering the shop. Even though they have not seen each other for many years, Sunny can tell right away that the woman is Taeyeon due to the same hairstyle she has been wearing since high school.

'Taeyeon! Over here!' Sunny stands up from her seat and waves to Taeyeon when she sees her coming in.

Taeyeon sees Sunny waving to her. A bright smile adorns Taeyeon's face and she literally runs to Sunny and envelope her smaller friend in a bear hug. When they pull out of the hug, they take their seats and Taeyeon orders a cup of hot mocha and a slice of carrot cake. 

'Omo! I'm so jealous of you, Taeyeon!' Sunny says.

'What? Why?'

'You can afford to eat anything you want and there's not a single ounce of fat on your body! If I eat the carrot cake and wash it down with a hot mocha, I'm so getting dumped.'

Taeyeon laughs at Sunny's statement. Sunny is of course exagerrating. 'Yah! You're exagerrating. You know what? I'm watching my weight, too. I've put on quite a few pounds lately.'

Sunny grabs Taeyeon's hand and her eyes widen like saucers when she sees the ring on her finger. 'Yes, Kim Taeyeon, you've put on quite a few pounds...on your ring finger! Yah~ this is so unfair! Why is everyone's wedding ring so big?'

Taeyeon then examines Sunny's ring. 'You are not too bad yourself, Sunny. At least you have a gold ring.'

Sunny sighs. 'Gold ring? Who am I kidding? One look and you can tell it's fake! Ahh~ but then again, even with yours and mine combined, we don't even come close to half of what Jessica's wearing.'

Taeyeon looks a little surprised. 'Jessica? You're still keeping in touch with her?'

'I was on my way to visit her yesterday when I asked you out for coffee. Omo, she's doing so well and her fiance is so handsome!' Sunny has a dreamy look in her eyes. Taeyeon just casts her eyes down on the table, not focusing on anything in particular.

'Taeyeon? What's wrong?'

'What? Nothing. Nothing's wrong.'

'Yah, are you still feeling bad about that incident?'

'Whenever I think about Jessica, I remember it all so clearly. It's like I'm being cursed to remember her this way for the rest of my life.'

'You feel cursed? I have just the thing for you.' Sunny proceeds to take something out from her bag. It is a piece of small, round jade tied to a black string knotted three times. When Taeyeon sees the jade, she can't help but laugh out loud.

'Omo! You're still the same old Sunny, aren't you? Ever so superstitious and forever carrying all sorts of weird stuff with you.' Taeyeon says as she accepts the amulet from Sunny.

'Well, you may not believe it but when I had it with me in my bag everyday, I have not encountered any accidents or bad luck. I think it's because it's helping me to store up all my luck inside. Now, you have all my luck with you. You better keep it safe!'

'I will. Thank you.'

'Hmm...it may have helped me evade physical hurdles but I wouldn't be so sure about financial matters.' Sunny pouts.

'What? That can't be right. You're a real estate agent, aren't you?'

'Even if I am, so what? The economy is so bad nowadays, nobody wants to invest in properties now. Oh yeah, how could I forget?' Sunny takes out a name card from her bag and hands it over to Taeyeon. 'Here's my name card. You're my best friend, right, Taeyeonie? Please buy one or two properties from me~ please~'

Taeyeon sighs. 'I will help if I have the capability. You know, I'm really a nobody in my family. I can't really make any decisions at home. I only follow what my husband and mother-in-law tells me to do.' Taeyeon stirs her hot mocha mindlessly.

When Sunny does not speak, Taeyeon looks up from her mocha and Sunny's face is a few inches closer to her and she is squinting her eyes at her. Taeyeon is confused.

'Why are you looking at me like that?'

'Are you the Kim Taeyeon I know from Soo Man High or are you an impostor of my friend?'

'Yah~' Taeyeon laughs. 'What are you on about, Sunny?'

'The Kim Taeyeon that I know stands firm on her own opinion and she is not easily shaken. She is quick witted and can easily makes decision by herself. Since when did you become so weak?'

'Sunny...when you have a jangmonim like mine, you'll be forced to give up on all your own opinions and ideas eventually.' Taeyeon goes back to stirring her mocha.

'Taeyeon ah~ you can't be serious! Well, I never thought I'd say this, but you should really learn a thing or two from Jessica.'

'Jessica? Why Jessica?'

'From the conversation I had with her yesterday, there seems to be no one who can stop her from doing what she wants to do...maybe except for her fiance. Did you know that we're all invited to her wedding?'

'We? Who's we? And who invited?'

'We as in the Girls' Generation members. Her fiance did. That's why I said the only person who can stop her from doing something is her fiance because she seems a little hesitant about inviting all of us. But because I pushed on, her fiance invited me and there's no way Jessica can say no.' Sunny giggles to herself again when she thinks about Darrien.

'But it's her fiance who invited us, she didn't say so herself. Oh well, even if I'm invited, no matter who it may be, I don't think I'll go.'

'What? What are you talking about, Taeyeon? You have to go!'

'I don't want to make things anymore awkward, Sunny. I'm sure Jessica will be unhappy if I was there.'

'Taeyeon ah~ why are you being such a spoilsport? Do you know how hard it is for us to get together? A wedding is a happy occasion after all and who knows, maybe she will be so happy that she'll forgive you right there and then?'

Taeyeon chuckles bitterly. 'I wish, Sunny, I wish.'

'Taeyeon ah~ don't be like that~ just go for it. I'll be there anyway and I can be a mediator for both of you. But if you choose not to attend, then you may have lost your one and only chance to reconcile with Jessica.'

'Hmm...maybe...but wait, don't you think it's a little impossible for him to invite the whole of Girls' Generation? We don't really know where's Tiffany and Yoona.'

'Well, I don't know about Tiffany but I've seen Yoona a few years back at the airport. She's a flight attendant.'

'Really? But I heard from Hyoyeon that she's running a bar now.'

'I didn't know about that. I think I have her number saved here somewhere...' Sunny checks her phone's contacts and tries to look for Yoona's number. 'Oh, there, I found it. Let me call her.'

Sunny dials Yoona's number but after a few rings, the call got transferred to her voicemail.

'She's not picking up.' Sunny says.

'Then try sending a message to her.' Taeyeon suggests. Sunny nods her head and types out a message and sends it to Yoona.

'You know, I wonder what happened to Tiffany.' Taeyeon says once Sunny is done sending the message to Yoona.

'Me too. She's the last person I expect to not keep in touch considering how talkative she is.' Sunny says.

'What can I say but people change.'

'I can't agree more...yah, why are we being so negative here? Ahh~ be positive, be positive. We need to attract more positive energy.' Sunny closes her eyes as though she is meditating. Just then, the waiter arrives with a slice of blueberry cheesecake. Sunny claps her hands in excitement.

'And I thought you are on a diet.' Taeyeon says.

'I want to go on a diet, trust me, I really do. But, there are too many good food in this world that is begging to be eaten so the best way is to eat them first and worry about the consequences later.' Sunny says and cuts herself a small piece of the cake with a fork and feeding herself the cake. Sunny squeals when she gets a taste of the cake.

Taeyeon laughs. There is no way Sunny will give up on food.

'Lesshh gg...vvvv...hhh....' Sunny says with full.

'What? Omo, don't talk with your mouth full, Sunny.' Taeyeon scolds.

'I said, let's go visit Hyoyeon at the hospital after this.' Sunny says again after swallowing her cake.

'Are you sure? You have work, don't you?'

'Hyoyeon's more important than work. And I haven't seen her for so long I wonder what she looks like now.'

What Sunny had just said makes Taeyeon smile. At least Sunny is still the same old Sunny. Taeyeon says a little prayer in her heart for the members of Girls' Generation to reunite soon. If that happens, it will be like the good old times again.


 

During the day time, Eleven Bar doubles as a bistro serving light meals. As such, Yoona is busy taking care of the day time operation until her mother needs her. After taking orders from a group of office ladies, Yoona serves the order sheet to the kitchen. She then proceeds to do a stock take at the bar section. Although the bar/bistro is small, the business is huge thanks to years of networking through Yoona's mom. Because of that, it usually takes half an hour to do the stock take. It is no wonder that she has no time to check her phone even though it is in her pocket all this while.

After she is done with the stock take, Yoona goes to the counter, ready to perform cash register duties. But by that time, the crowd has thinned somehwat. Yoona lets out a huge sigh and slumps down at the chair. She decides to check on her mom by calling her using the bar's telephone.

'Hello? Umma? Is everything okay?' Yoona asks when the other line has been picked up.

'Yes...'

'Okay. Do you need anything?'

'I want...to eat...eel...dinner...'

'Alright, I'll go get it in a while. Call my mobile if you need anything else, okay?'

'Bye.'

Yoona puts the receiver back in its place. She feels her mobile phone vibrating in her pocket. She must have been too busy until she has forgotten to check her mobile. She takes it out of her pocket and she sees that she has one missed call and a new text message. She looks at the missed call first and sees that it is from Sunny. She checks the text message next and it is also from Sunny. It reads: Yoong! It's Sunny! Jessica is getting married and we're all invited! You must come, okay? Love you and see you! ^_^

Jessica? Jung Soo-yeon? How long has it been? Yoona has countless questions about Jessica and not only Jessica, but her old group of friends, Girls' Generation. From their de facto leader Taeyeon to the motormouth Tiffany, the dancing queen Hyoyeon to cheerful shikshin Sunny and also the 'Korean who speaks Japanese', Jessica, Yoona wonders how have they been. She types out a reply to Sunny.

Omo! Jessica is getting married? I'll surely be there. Can't wait to see you again! Bye!

Yoona puts her phone down on the counter and swings around on the bar stool. She begins to reminisce about the good old times with her girls; how they used to talk about their future, how Jessica got her English name and her dreams of marrying a rich man.


Yoona, Tiffany, Sunny and Soo-yeon were hanging out in Hyoyeon's dance studio after school. Hyoyeon and Taeyeon were out shopping for some snacks, so only the four girls were left in the studio. During that time, Soo-yeon had been in Korea and attending Soo Man High for close to four months. She had more or less accustomed herself to the culture and way of life in Korea and her Korean was getting better day by day, although she still tends to slip back to Japanese from time to time. The girls were having a lazy afternoon together, not doing anything much. Tiffany and Yonna were trying to make some origami that Soo-yeon had taught them, Sunny was reading a tabloid magazine while Soo-yeon was on a ring candy.

'Nee minna-san, have you guys thought about your future?' Soo-yeon said out of the blue. (Told ya she couldn't completely eradicate the Japanese from her speech pattern!)

'Hmm...not really. But I know I'll definitely go overseas to study because my parents have planned it for me.' Tiffany said, not looking up from her work of art. 

'What? That can't be fun.' Soo-yeon commented.

Tiffany sighed and stopped making her origami. 'You would think that I have an easy life living with my parents since we are technically Americans. But it's not like that. They are pretty controlling when it comes to me.'

'I wanna be a supermodel! I have the killer figure for it.' Yoona said and posed for her friends to see.

'Supermodel, huh? I thought you would be more suited to be a flight attendant.' Tiffany said.

'Huh? Why is that?'

'Because you like to walk around in boyshorts and flight attendants wear uniforms that are similar to what you're wearing now.' Tiffany went on to hit Yoona on her bum, causing her to yelp.

'Yah~! That's not true!' Yoona took her revenge by messing with Tiffany's hair. 'But...you know what? I think if modeling doesn't work for me, I will think about your option.'

'Omo! I found him!' Sunny suddenly exclaimed. The other three girls went and see what Sunny had found. 'It's Seo Taiji! I consulted my poker cards about my future last night and I was told that I will be marrying someone famous and who will steal my heart right away and Seo Taiji just stole it.' Sunny continued to look at the picture of Seo Taiji with that dreamy look in her eyes. Tiffany, Yoona and Soo-yeon looked at each other in amusement and laughed at her. 

'Yah~! What's so funny? Let's see who will be laughing once I marry Seo Taiji!' Sunny held her head up in pride.

'Oh, you mean let's see who will be laughing once Lee Soon Kyu's future husband turns out to be a big and burly ahjussi who is half a century older than her?' Yoona said, holding her tummy as it hurt from all the laughing.

'Yoong, you're so mean!' Sunny pouted.

'Hey, Yoong may be correct, you know. I mean, you keep eating like that, only an ahjussi will think of marrying you.' Tiffany added.

'Ahh~ meanie, meanie, meanie! Whatever! But Soo-yeon, what about you?' Sunny directed the question back to Soo-yeon.

'Well, first of all, I wish my future wedding ring is as big as this candy ring I'm wearing.' Soo-yeon said, looking at her candy ring. The candy was in the shape of a diamond and it was pretty big. 'But a huge diamond ring is not going to get me anywhere. I will need to marry a rich man to get me further in life. And...from this day onward, I shall call myself...Jessica!' Soo-yeon stood up and did a standing victory pose, smiling all the way through.

Tiffany, Yoona and Sunny looked at Soo-yeon as though they couldn't believe what they have just heard. Soo-yeon's smile slowly faded.

'What?'

The three girls broke out in laughter. Soo-yeon grew even more confused.

'Guys ~ what's so funny?'

'Omo! Just when I thought that my dream about my future was absurd, someone actually one up me. Well done, Soo-yeon!' Sunny gave Soo-yeon a thumbs up.

'Yah, you got it wrong, Sunny. It's Jessica now.' Tiffany continued to laugh.

'Just where did you come up with the name 'Jessica'? Yoona asked, her eyes tearing up from the laughter.

'What is it with you guys? Is my dream really that funny?' Soo-yeon inquired. The other three were too busy laughing to answer her. 'Well, laugh if you must but I just can't wait for that day when I have a real diamond ring on my finger. My mother always tells me, the bigger the ring on your finger, the more happy your marriage will be and I believe in that. But who's gonna buy me a diamond ring if not a rich man? I'm gonna be y, famous and rich like Jessica Rabbit!'

'What? You got that name from Jessica Rabbit?' Tiffany asked, finally calming down.

'Uh-huh. Taeyeon and I were watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit the other day and when Jessica Rabbit appeared, I just wanna be her.' Soo-yeon looked dreamy.

Just then, Hyoyeon and Taeyeon had returned from their shopping. When Yoona saw them, she quickly pulled them in to the studio.

'What is it?' Hyoyeon asked.

'Let me introduce you to our new member, Jessica!' Yoona said. Sunny and Tiffany started laughing again but this time around, Soo-yeon held her head up in pride and winked at Hyoyeon and Taeyeon.

'Jessica? What is this about?' Taeyeon asked.

'I announce today to be the day Jung Soo-yeon is reborn as Jessica. Please welcome Jessica!' Tiffany said and clapped her hands. Taeyeon and Hyoyeon looked at each other in confusion, not having a single clue as to what was going on.

'Someone had better tell me what's going on now. You guys are acting weird.' Taeyeon said.

'Soo-yeon - I mean Jessica said that she was watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit with you the other day and when she saw Jessica Rabbit, she just wanted to be her. Because Jessica Rabbit is y...famous...rich!' Sunny said dramatically. The whole group laughed at the way she was acting. 'And the name Jessica makes it easier for her to marry a rich man.' Sunny quickly added.

'Yah~ I did not say that but...' Soo-yeon smiled shyly.

'Omo! Look at her! She's admitting it!' Hyoyeon said.

'Well...I guess it's...Welcome, Jessica!' Taeyeon said.

Jung Soo-yeon was officially rechristened as Jessica on that day and she was known to all as Jessica ever since.


'Boss...boss!'

Yoona snaps out of her reverie. 'Oh...what is it?'

'I need you to punch my card.' It was one of her staff at the bar. Yoona takes the card from him and puts it into the clocking machine, signs it and returns to him.

Jessica...Jung Soo-yeon...have you found the man who could give you the huge diamond ring you so desire or did you get yourself an ahjussi like Sunny's man? Yoona giggles when she thinks about it.


While putting on makeup in her hotel room, Jessica suddenly sneezes.

'Who is talking about me?' she says to no one in particular before continuing with her application. She checks her makeup and hair in the mirror once she is done and she looks satisfied.

'...so I think we have to cancel the plan.'

Jessica hears Darrien and Jeremy's voice as they walk into the hotel room. Jessica goes up to greet them but as soon as she sees Jeremy, or Lee Jung-in, they exchange unfriendly stares with each other. It happens so much between them it almost feels like it has become a routine.

'Darling! I miss you!' Jessica says, expecting a kiss from her fiance.

'Jessica, I'm so sorry but I just can't seem to find time for you. It's really a lot of hard work working in an investment bank.' Darrien says. 'And that's why I bought you this bag.'

Darrien cues Jeremy to give the bag to Jessica. Even when receiving the bag, Jessica gives Jeremy the unfriendly stare and so does Jeremy. Jessica's mouth fell open when she sees the bag. It is a Prada bag and is the only brand that is missing from her collection of bags. But what Jessica does not know is that the bag is actually an off season discounted bag and not the current trend.

'Prada? Oh my God! Darrien! You are just soooooo -'

'And that's to apologize for not being able to have dinner with you tonight because I have to meet a client tonight.' Darrien says.

'Aww...but that's okay, sweetie. Thank you for adding Prada to my collection!'

'No problem, sweetheart. Jeremy, let's go.'

'Wait, what? You're leaving? But you just came back.'

'Yes, just to give you this bag. Aren't you happy?'

'Darrien, you are just -'

'Bye, dear. I'll see you later.' Once again, Darrien cuts Jessica off before she has a chance to speak.

When Darrien is gone, Jessica poses with the Prada bag in front of the mirror and she is giggling and laughing non-stop.

'This is all I ever need and this is all I ever want.' Jessica says to herself.

She continues to play around with her bag when a name card on her dressing table comes to her attention. It is Sunny's name card. She looks at both sides of the card when she suddenly thinks of something. She reaches for her phone and dials Sunny's number. Sunny picks up a few rings later.

'Hello, Sunny? Would you be free for dinner? Yeah? You are free to call them along if you want...okay. See you later.'

What is Jessica's motive?


'Are you sure Jessica invited me along?' Taeyeon asks.

'Omo! How many times do you want me to repeat myself? She did and I'm sure she'll be happy to see you.' Sunny says.

Sunny receives the call from Jessica when Taeyeon and her left the hospital after visiting Hyoyeon. Sunny then informs Yoona (manages to get through to her in one call, a real life miracle) and tells her to meet them at the place suggested by Jessica. Taeyeon and Sunny have been hanging out together the whole day. Whenever Taeyeon's mother-in-law or Sunny's husband called, they would give excuses to their respective callers. Taeyeon will say that she is doing grocery shopping and is stuck in the jam while Sunny says that she is looking for business for the company. And now, the both of them are walking to the restaurant, which is actually a private club of which Darrien is a member but Jessica is using his name to book a place.

Taeyeon and Sunny continues to walk while chatting away when Sunny becomes quiet all of a sudden. Taeyeon asks her what is the matter and Sunny points to a man some distance away. It is a foreigner and he is standing next to a car and looks like he is waiting for someone.

'Who's that?' Taeyeon asks.

'That's Darrien. He's Jessica's fiance. What is he doing here all alone without Jessica?'

The two continue to observe him until what seems to be a woman comes right out to meet him. This woman is slightly more bulky so it could not be Jessica since Jessica has a slender body. Darrien is seen smiling and that woman kisses him not only on his cheeks but also his lips. Both Taeyeon and Sunny was shocked. Darrien and the woman leave in the car together.

'Taeyeon ah, we have to tell Jessica about this!' Sunny says, her eyes still fixed on the place where Darrien's car was a few seconds ago.

'No, we can't do that, Sunny.'

'Why? We have to warn her that her fiance may be cheating on her. At least we can save her from a troubled marriage.'

'It's not that I don't want to but we really have no clue as to what is going on. Let's just meet up with Jessica first and see how everything goes before we tell her.'

Sunny is not very convinced but she agrees with Taeyeon. They continue on to the private club with heavy hearts.

Is Darrien cheating on Jessica even before they tie the knot?