The Letter

The Zorro

Kibum clutched his towel to himself, grinning into the fluffy material as he followed behind the shorter boy. After their chores, they had immediately ran inside to change and grab their towels for the creek. Jonghyun hadn't shut up since they left the main house and Kibum truthfully wasn't listening to a word he said. He was too busy watching his facial expressions and the way he would give a breathy laugh when he laughed at his own joke. 


It seems Kibum had a thing for dorks...cute dorks. 


The fact that the two of them were alone made Kibum's heart flutter. It was almost like a dream. He was so lost in his own day dream that he hadn't noticed they made it to the creek already.

The creek was a spot Jonghyun had found with Minho one day apparently. It had been Jonghyun's hang out spot ever since then. The shorter male did not hesitate to start stripping until he was only in his shorts. Kibum's mouth almost went dry when Jonghyun's tanned skin came into full view, no longer hidden by that same white shirt.

Jonghyun was gifted in the looks department. Not only was his facial structure utterly beautiful, his body and musculature was practically crafted by the gods. Kibum ripped his eyes away and took his shirt off as well, but slightly put off by his thin figure. 


"I'll race you inside!" the older boy grinned and took off with out another word into the sparkling water.


The way he shook his hair when he broke the surface reminded Kibum of a dog.


A really cute dog.


"C'mon Kibum! Hurry up!"


"Alright, alright I'm coming."


Splash!


The water was cool upon impact, but it was a comfortable temperature. The days have been so scorchingly hot that Kibum found himself dunking his head under the faucet at the coldest setting with every break he got. His wounds on his hands also felt good in the cool water from the cotton. 

"Hey isn't this your first time at the creek?" Jonghyun piped up as he floated on his back.

"Yeah, no one has ever invited me out here."

Jonghyun frowned, the younger boy's tone was a bit sad.


"Have you made some friends?"


Silence.


"...Not really" 


More silence.


Jonghyun swallowed thickly. He wasn't expecting such a blunt answer.

Kibum bit his lip and cupped the water in his hands, "Then again it's partially my fault. I haven't really made the effort have I? After the thing with my parents I...I find it difficult to become close to people. I think that's why people think I'm weird, I come off as quiet."


"You have a perfectly good reason though. If it helps I like you. I think-- I think you're nice company and you listen to me talk when no one else does. You even go along with my crazy plans to find the Zorro. That's something not even my best friends would do." Kibum's heart leaps when the words 'I like you' escape Jonghyun's plush lips.


Be still my beating heart, Kibum mentally pleaded.


"I'm glad you think so. Truthfully I find you entertaining." Kibum giggles.


Jonghyun then scolds Kibum on how he feels used as a source of entertainment, but he's smiling as he does it.

Then Jonghyun's tone turns alarmingly serious.

"But Kibum, I think I'm the only one who knows how you feel. To loose everyone who was close to you so suddenly and never see them again without a warning."

Jonghyun suddenly has Kibum's full attention, "...How so?"


It's quiet for a bit. The only sound is the rustling of the trees and the occasional bird. 

"I got a letter from my dad the day before you gave me the mask. It was real late when Mrs. Lee called me into the kitchen with some beaten up letter in her hand. She told me that I was better off and I didn't know what she meant until I read it for myself. Kibum...they were all right."


Kibum's heart sank deep into his stomach. 

No, not Jonghyun.

Anyone but him.


"I burned it, I couldn't bare to read the rest. My own father had really left me to start over.... God I hate myself, Kibum. This is the worst." He could hear Jonghyun's voice get more and more hushed.


"So when you told me I should just give up... It kinda hit a nerve. It made me feel like every thing I did was just a useless dream. I just--" 


He was crying and Kibum was sure of it. He never recalled ever seeing the elder cry, so today would be the first. Jonghyun was always so smiley that it never occurred to him that he too cried and got angry with himself. In a sense Kibum treated Jonghyun the same way he treated the Zorro. Like some sort of idol with the perfection of the image they have created of each other in their heads. 


"Oh Jonghyun," Kibum began, "don't hate yourself. You have nothing to do with the fact. You're such a beautiful son. I don't know why your father would leave you here on your own. However and unfortunately, he did and we can't change that. Although I have to argue with you on one thing...You aren't as alone as you think. Jinki and Minho...even if they are dating they do love you dearly. I can see it when they talk to you. They treasure you as their friend. I-I treasure you..." 


The water moves a bit as Jonghyun gets up from his floating position. It's so eerily quiet and the atmosphere feels so thick. Kibum can only see Jonghyun's back, not knowing if he's still crying or not. When he does though Kibum wasn't expecting it at all.

The droopy eyes he loved to look at we're a blood shot red, lip trembling, and fresh tear stains decorating the elder's cheekbones.


Had he offended him?


Had he made it worse?


"K-Ki...Kibum!!" muscular arms threw themselves around Kibum's delicate frame nearly squeezing any air in his lungs. 


Jonghyun was just a big sensitive 
baby.


But frankly Kibum wouldn't want it any other way.


He let the elder sob onto his shoulder while blubbering something incoherent about being grateful. Kibum just nodded and replied with "mhm"'s between each sob. Secretly he felt happy, he knew that he had succeeded in comforting his long term crush during a tragic moment of his life. 

When the sobbing stopped the shorter male rubbed his puffy eyes and sniffled, looking significantly better emotionally (frankly a hot mess physically but oh well), but had not moved away. 

Kibum stiffened as Jonghyun pulled back just enough to get a good look at his face. Feline eyes became shy and looked at the rippling water below only to have his chin grasped and forced to look into Jonghyun's pools of deep brown eyes. Kibum's Adam's apple bobbed as he gulped, his heart ready to break his ribs. 

A million things flashed through the elder's eyes: fondness, recognition, confusion, and adoration. Jonghyun couldn't help as his mind mentally painted a mask over Kibum's face. 

Maybe if he could just...

He leant in, his eyes fluttering shut as his breath ghosted over Kibum's bow shaped lips. 

It's like time stopped and zeroed in on that very moment. 

Kim Jonghyun was kissing him.

Not kissing the Zorro.

But Kim Kibum. 

•••• •••• •••• •••••

That night the two didn't come back till way late after supper. They snuck a few pieces of bread before bed and went back into the bunk room. Taemin was fast asleep in Kibum's bunk, leaving the two to share a bed again. 

This time though it felt oddly comforting and relaxed, as if they had been doing it for ages. 

Kibum curled onto Jonghyun's chest, feeling for the first time content with where he was at. Something about his chest and arms screamed safety and security to Kibum. He just couldn't figure it out. 

"Are you still gonna chase after the Zorro...?"

"Mmm...I still wanna know who he is." Jonghyun replied softly.

Kibum merely left it at that, not wanting to stress the subject any further. After the kiss, he had asked Jonghyun if that was his way of asking him out. The elder replied with a simple shrug, but something translated as a yes to Kibum. 

The way he held his scraped up hands on the way back from the creek or how he dried off Kibum's hair when they got out of the water only supported his hunch.

He didn't care, he had kissed him and was sleeping in the same bed as him.


Kibum had accomplished mission - win - over - Kim - Jonghyun for one day.