Moonlight

The Zorro

The two boys knew exactly what Taemin's mother meant by "unpure". Jonghyun's stomach sunk at the thought of the long haired boy being defiled and mistreated by grimy criminals. He watched as the Zorro pried Taemin's hair out of his own mothers fist and picks him up from the ground.

 

"TAKE HIM AWAY! He's nothing but an eye sore now!" Taemin winced at the sharp words of the woman. 

 

Kibum frowned deeply, but merely guided the long haired boy away from his raging mother. Jonghyun immediately goes to help carry the thin boy away from the camp.

They weren't welcome there anymore it seems.

 

"Do you know where he can stay? I'm afraid he can't stay with me..." The Zorro began, a thin line forming from his lips.

 

Jonghyun nodded, "I live on a ranch where mostly orphans work at. I'm sure Mrs.Lee wouldn't mind him staying there at all."

 

Kibum knew that already. He was only asking so it wouldn't seem suspicious. He nodded to Jonghyun, examining Taemin's condition one last time.

 

"I'll leave you to it then."

 

"Wait, when will I ever--"

 

When Jonghyun turned around the man in the black cape was gone and no where to be seen. He blinked and craned his neck in every direction. If was just him alone on the dirt road back home. He huffed and carried Taemin's limp body all the way home, feeling the days of hauling bags of grain paying off. The yells and questions Mrs. Lee would throw at him when he arrived two hours after curfew and returned with a beaten up boy haunted Jonghyun's thoughts as he approached the ranch.

Luckily for him the lights in the ranch are off. He runs into Kibum on the way through the back. He's bandaging his hands again and has a mildly surprised look when he sees Taemin in the shorter boys arms. 

 

When Jonghyun opens his mouth to explain Kibum raises a hand to silence him, "Save it. Let's just get him into a bed. He looks like crap."

 

So when Kibum took half of Taemin's weight a sudden surge of recognition flashed through the dark pools of Taemin's eyes. 

 

"Y-You..!"

 

.

Taemin had recognized him. A wave a panic instantly came over Kibum. He couldn't plead for the long haired boy to keep quiet, Jonghyun would want to know what was going on. 

 

"Shh! Be quiet! We can't have Mrs.Lee hearing us!" Jonghyun put his index finger to his lips.

 

Kibum mentally sighed in relief, but that doesn't change the fact that his identity is one inch closer from being exposed. Taemin knew so easily, how come Jonghyun didn't?

•••• •••• •••• •••• ••••

After they accommodated Taemin in Kibum's bed, Jonghyun and Kibum found themselves sharing a bed. Of course Jonghyun payed no mind to it. In fact, he had fallen as sleep so quickly Kibum hadn't even noticed till he turned around. He took this moment to stare at the older boys features as they were illuminated by the soft light pouring in from the window pane. 

The boys who lived here slept in bunks all in one massive room that was supposed to be a living room. Jonghyun's bed so happened to be the one by the window. Kibum's slender finger carefully traced the defined edges of the boy's jaw and cheeks, lightly ghosting the pad of his finger over Jonghyun's pouty bottom lip. He mentally sighed, there wasn't any man so perfect like Jonghyun in his eyes. With such a tender heart and loyalty to his friends no hero could compare to Kibum's hero, not even The Zorro that Jonghyun so desperately loved.

Such lovely thoughts were interrupted when Kibum hears the sound of the screen side door open and close from the window. He lifts his head, seeing a familiar mop of golden brown hair dart across the field in the direction of the barn. He narrows his eyes at the window.

Jinki...? 

He shakes the sleeping figure next to him causing a pair of droopy eyes to open.

 

"Kibum...? It's the middle of the night! Why are you waking me up?"

 

"It's Jinki. I just saw him leave the main house and go to the barn."

 

There's a moment of silence between the two before Jonghyun yawns and sits up.

 

"We're following him. Let's go." 

•••• •••• •••• •••• •••• 

 

"Are you sure you saw him come this way?"

 

"Yes I'm sure!" Kibum rolled his eyes as the two tip toed along the side of the barn to its door. 

 

It didn't make sense to Jonghyun, Jinki was supposed to be resting in bed until his lower back felt better. Why was he sneaking out to the barn of all places? The two boys stopped on front of the barns door and pressed their ears to it. Jonghyun heard muffled conversation immediately, one of the voices is clearly Jinki's. 

So he was meeting someone?

But who?

The mystery man had a particularly deep voice compared to Jinki's. He couldn't make out what they were saying at all, only bits and pieces of words. 

"Can you hear who the other person is?" Kibum asked barely above a whisper, Jonghyun shook his head in response. 

"If you ask me, it kinda sounds like Minho--"

Suddenly he can hear footsteps approaching he door. On impulse Jonghyun grabs Kibum and pulls him back into the foliage surrounding the door. His callused hand clamps over Kibum's mouth as he watches the barn door slowly swing open. 

Jonghyun couldn't believe his own eyes.

As soon as the door opened a tall and familiar guy walks out, scanning the perimeter of the land around him.  So that's why Jinki was sneaking out? To see Minho? But why?

It made complete sense to Kibum though. Immediately he linked the way Taemin was limping to Jinki's. It isn't rocket science to figure out exactly what was going on between the two. Kibum pries off Jonghyun's hand as Minho goes back inside the barn. 

"I can't believe it...That bastard has been ditching me to hang out with Jinki?! How rude!" Jonghyun fumes as Kibum facepalms.

Jonghyun could be so dense sometimes.

"No, idiot, that's not why. Don't you remember the way Taemin was limping and you told me he was ?"

"Yeah so what?"

"So, Jinki has the same limp and he snuck out to see Minho. I don't think this is the first time either."

"Okay what's your point though?"

"Ugh. My point is...Minho and Jinki are seeing each other! Right under our noses! They've must've done it in the barn that's why Jinki has the limp and lower back pain."

Jonghyun made gagging noise and scrunched up his face in disgust.

"Oh gross. My two best friends are dating. That's an image I could've lived without." Jonghyun grumbled.

"Oh please," Kibum rolled his eyes, "have some heart would you? It's super romantic if you think about it. They sneak out to see each other for rendezvous in the moonlight."

Kibum sighs dreamily while Jonghyun scowls.

Did Kibum mention that Jonghyun was utterly dense?

•••• •••• •••• •••• •••• ••••

"I can feel you staring at me. What's up?"

Taemin huffed as Kibum didn't turn around from the single cotton plant he was harvesting from. The long haired boy was practically burning holes into his back with his stare. Kibum knew what Taemin wanted, but decided to play innocent.

"Why are you lying to him?" Taemin's words cut through Kibum like a dagger.

"Because I don't want to crush him. That's all. If he found out his hero was actually some boy on his ranch he would be devastated. So in a sense I'm doing it to protect him."

"I see. How long do you intend on keeping it up?"

Kibum bit the inside of his cheek, "I don't know. I only did this as a way to satisfy my own petty whims, but now I have no clue exactly what I'm fighting for anymore."

"Wanna elaborate?"

Kibum got up from his crouched position and faced Taemin, "My parents were murdered a while ago. I created the Zorro to get revenge on those very people who took away the only people who truly loved me. But...after I met Jonghyun I don't know how to get him out of my thoughts and actions. I don't feel alone anymore like I used to, he makes me feel somewhat secure."

"So, your in love with him but he loves the alter ego that you created? Jeez, aren't you in a fix?"

Kibum scoffs and turns back to work. Taemin gets down as well and works next to him. Taemin was assigned for the cotton just like Kibum was. The both of them weren't suited for the more heavy duty things like Jonghyun was. 

"I think the solution to your problem is actually pretty simple."

"Oh really? Do tell." Kibum mumbled.

"Show Jonghyun that Kim Kibum is way better than the Zorro. Make him fall in love with the real you instead of watching him plunge himself deeper into a romance that will never happen.." Taemin tosses a ball of white fluff into his basket beside him while Kibum narrows his eyes at him.

"Oh yeah it sounds so simple doesn't it? I could never do it. I wouldn't even be able to get him alone to even attempt--"

"Oi~!"

Jonghyun was also impeccable with his timing.

"You were saying?" Taemin grinned at Kibum as the short, older male runs up to the two of them with a dirty plow. 

"Hey guys! I was just wondering if you guys wanted to ask you two if you wanted to go down to the creek after we're done here?" Jonghyun asked hopefully of the two boys.

"Actually I can't. I wanted to rest more, but Kibum is more than happy to tag along. Aren't you Kibum?" Taemin clamps a hand on Kibum's shoulder as the long haired boy smiles curtly. Not only was Taemin a victim of a terrible crime, but a little when he was up to something.

"Really? Awesome! Meet me at the porch then after you finish up here then! I'll see you later, Key!" Jonghyun lifts the plow over his shoulder, causing his tanned muscles to flex in an oh so attractive manner, and runs off.

Taemin grins slyly at the fox eyed who looks like he's about to faint. Kibum couldn't believe it. It was almost like a date. He was gonna go swimming at the creek with Jonghyun! 

"You can thank me later." Taemin chuckled, returning to his work.

But Kibum barely heard him.

He's going on a date with Kim Jonghyun!