The First Appearance

The Zorro

The Zorro….just like the fox he is gone with the wind without a trace

 

Jonghyun’s eyes twinkled just at the mention of it. To him the new hero in his small village was the best thing to have occurred in his life. The Zorro was fearless, cunning, handsome…basically everything he wanted to be. Life wasn’t too bad for Kim Jonghyun. He never met his mother since dying during childbirth was common during his time. His father worked with him on a ranch, or more like he used to. When Jonghyun turned 19 his father ran off claiming to search for better work outside the village and hasn’t returned. 


He’ll never come back.

 

Just accept the fact he abandoned you and is probably off with some other woman.


No, his father was a good man. He would never do that to Jonghyun. He firmly believed that so he worked on the farm everyday with the rest of the kids who worked on the land who either have no parents or are working to support their families. The short boy was well liked in his circle of people. However, there was one in particular in the bunch of boys his age that stood out like a sore thumb.


 Kim Kibum : Child of the deceased Kim’s rumored to have gone crazy and were eventually murdered during a raid. 


According to Minho, the sheriffs son, Kibum witnessed the whole thing. He hid behind an old clothing trunk as his parents were gunned down for jewelry and other valuable goods. Two days after the tragedy, Kibum was brought to the same farm Jonghyun stayed at. Jonghyun noted the drained and dead look on the taller boy’s face from the first day he was brought there. 


 He felt bad for Kibum, so he talked to him occasionally during dinner time at the main house and sometimes out on the field. From what Jonghyun sees Kibum slowly began to smile, but that empty look always remained on his face like a scar from a wound. 


"Oh Jinki I wish you could’ve seen it! Minho and I were out in town when all of a sudden this horde of bandits rode in setting off gunshots like mad men! Man, did I bolt outta there and ducked behind a crate of cotton! But then a mysterious man in all black appeared on a horse and took him out two minutes flat! He was the coolest thing I’ve seen in ages. A real hero just like in the stories your mom would read to us!” Jonghyun sighed dreamily and leaned on the rake he was holding. Jinki, the landowners son, shook his head. 


"Careful Jonghyun. We don’t need any drool on that rake." Jinki snickered while the younger shot daggers at him. 
Jonghyun rolled his eyes and resumed to his work, “I wasn’t drooling for your information. I was expressing my admiration for The Zorro.”


"The what? Is that what the guy named himself?”


"Well no… That’s the name people are giving him. He’s sneaky like a fox…and mysterious with a black mask. I wonder just who he is…" 


The mystery of it all was eating Jonghyun alive. Just who was he? The fact no one knew or even recognized the exposed portion of his face really nagged Jonghyun at night. It could be possible that he isn’t even from the area at all. Someone like the Zorro just didn’t sound like something that would happen over night like it did. Whoever is under that mask has to be superhuman or something or the sort.


A soft voice suddenly joins the conversation.


"Who?"


Both Jonghyun and Jinki look up to find Kibum standing in front of them, a basket filled with cotton balanced between his arm and hip. 


Jonghyun grinned, “The Zorro. Have you heard of him?”


Kibum pauses, pretending to think when he knows damn well who they’re talking about. 

"Nope, can’t say I have. Mind telling me? I like a good story."


Jinki groans and turns to work in a different part of the field. He does not want to hear the same story of the mysterious rider in all black. Jonghyun rolls his eyes and explains to Kibum the incident in town and the first appearance of the Zorro. Kibum listens to the puppy eyes boy and chuckles at his eagerness. He never expected to have such adoring fans. 


"I’m surprised you didn’t go up to the guy and ask him to marry you." Kibum giggled, covering his mouth with his bandaged hands from picking cotton. 


"Hey! I don’t like the Zorro alright? I just think he’s cool!" The shorter huffed then pouted.

Kibum merely nodded, a dimpled smile still on his face. Of course he’d never tell Jonghyun that he was the Zorro. In fact, he couldn’t tell anyone. He was the odd child that no one spoke to and he wanted it to stay that way. Also the Zorro was his own personal outlet, his alter ego where he can be the guy he always wanted to be. The Zorro was suave, handsome, and cool. Essentially the total opposite of Kim Kibum. He was living a double life with a good purpose. 

"Oi!! You two get back to work!"

"Sorry Mr. Lee!!!"
••• ••• ••• •••

A week has passed and Jonghyun hasn’t seen the Zorro since. He’s heard stories of his brief appearances from Minho, but he hasn’t seen him personally. He would drag the taller boy into town in hopes of catching a glimpse of the man in black, but with no luck. 

Jonghyun would lay awake I’m his bunk at night wondering when would their fateful meeting happen. Sometimes he thought they’d never meet at all. Maybe the first time was just a fluke? He agonized silently in his head as he headed back into the main house with the rest of the boys.

"I’ll never see the Zorro again…" He mumbled to himself.

Not until today that is.

Jonghyun showered and changed after a day of working the fields. All the boys gathered in the main house patio where they all ate in long picnic tables while Mrs. Lee cooked over an outdoor stove. He hasn’t seen Kibum since they went out to the field this morning either. What he told him the night prior was still buzzing in his head. 


   "Man what wouldn’t I give to see the Zorro up close? He’s the epitome of amazing, heroic,…cunning! I’m not giving up till I see him personally!"
 An un familiar look crossed Kibum’s feline eyes for a moment before he opened his mouth to speak, “Some mysteries are better left unsolved. I
would stay away from him. Where he goes danger follows. It’s best that way.”

Jonghyun thoughtfully chewed his food, what did Kibum mean by that? He was so lost in thought the muffled screams of Mrs. Lee interrupted his thoughts like a freight train. 

"BANDITS! I-IN THE HORIZON!" the elderly woman screeches as he rallies up the boys to go inside through the door. 

He looks into the east and does in fact see a stampede of men on horses. They don’t seem friendly in the slightest. Jonghyun scrambles from his spot and goes to hide behind the cart they use to transport goods into town. 
As the bandits get closer a familiar black clad man jumps off the roof of the ranch house and onto his horse, raising his sword triumphantly I’m the air. Jonghyun’s mouth parted letting out a small, awe struck gasp.


It was him.


"Attacking my territory? Change of plans men, you’re dealing with me first!" said the mystery man with a cocky smirk.


The Zorro!