Fulcrum of the Heart

Physics Nerd Vs. Dance Machine

So you must be wondering, what did I do? Did I face up to the boy and demand an explanation?

Nope.

With whatever pride I had left, I marched out of the library with my back to him. 

I know what you have to say to me. I'm a wuss. I was unable to turn around and face him because I will admit, I was a little scared. On another note, I actually had no idea what to do either. What was I supposed to tell him in the first place?

I attended the remaining of my classes with that single thought in my head about the boy. Was he really the one that bullied the boy and beat him up? He didn't seem so strong... but neither did the bulliee. English, Chemistry, Maths and Korean went by the day like a rush. I hardly paid attention because it was mostly lecturers speaking about what they expected of us this semester.

My last lecture of the day was one that I didn't look forward to at all. Physics. 

I remember not just a few days ago, looking forward to this class so much and finally meeting Mr. Park. I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of hours later, and thanks to that incident, I never wanted to touch physics again.

I sneaked into the back of the class before anyone could take their seats. I took out my notes copy and buried myself in the back. The students, one by one, started walking into the class, sitting in random places. A few moments later Mr. Park walked in. I peeked over the heads of a few students to get a closer look at him. I didn't really get to study his features as I had during our first meeting.

He had dark black hair, darker than anything I have seen before. His ears lobbed downwards and his eyes were light brown, almost grey in colour. His back was hunched, his suit a little crumpled. God I wanted to just go over to him and give him a hug. He seemed like he needed one.

"Good Morning class," he croaked. A few of the students responded with a bow and a simple "mornin'".

"All the students in the two back row seats, up front please," he suddenly ordered. That was me, another girl close by me and an emo looking kid.

"No students at the back, I want you to sit right up front," he snapped his fingers, making us hurry.

Crap! How unlucky could I get? I purposely sat at the back so he wouldn't see me... now, there was no escaping. I took a gulp of air and forced it down my trachea. All three of us regrettably rose from our seats and walked down the aisle and into the`front row. I sat in between the girl and the emo kid (or perhaps he was goth, not too sure). I tried to keep my eyes as downward as possible, hoping there wouldn't be much of a chance where he'd recognize me.

No such luck.

I glanced to make sure he was going to start the lesson. Instead, I found his shocked expression as he stared into my eyes, and I, back at him. He grimaced, cleared his throat and finally spoke out to the class.

"Excuse me," he apologized, "Now, let's get back to the lesson for today," he went on. My heart sank to the pits of my stomach, churning and jumping as it pleased. I felt so embarrassed and appalled, I found it difficult to look at the professor for the remainder of the class.

He was teaching the basics of mechanics, going through force, Newton and other bits and pieces. Gave us a lot of reading material that I myself had already covered and finished the class with a terrible physics joke, but we all still laughed. The bell rang and the lesson was over. I closed my note pads and threw them into my bag before slipping out from my seat. I was about to bolt for the door before Mr. Park had the chance to stand in front of me. However, he still managed to make it.

Damn it.

"Could you please stay behind for a few minutes?" he asked. I nodded my head in response, standing to the side as the glancing students left the room, one by one. My fingers began fumbling with each other, picking on dead skin and left over nail varnish, anything they could grip and rip away. I was terrified, and I didn't know why. 

Finally all the students left. I leaned back on the balls of my heels and waited for the professor to speak.

"Minyoung, isn't it? Hwang Minyoung," he said in a solemn voice, standing behind his table.

"Yes," I nodded my head in reply. My voice was a little too squeaky, so I made a mental note to try and control it the next time I replied to him.

"It's unfortunate that we met under such circumstances," he said with a smile.

"Excuse me?"

"The kimchi incident, unless you've forgotten about it already?" he raised his eyebrow at me. He had a hint of a smile on his face but I couldn't be too sure.

"Ah yes," I replied hastily, "I recall."

I recall? I should be on my knees apologizing to this guy and here I am saying crap like that...

"I'm very fond of your father's work Minyoung," he explained. "I hope you do well here and begin to excel in this class and many others," he smiled at me. I tried to smile back but I failed. When I looked at him, I just couldn't smile back. His smile and eyes were filled with pain and sorrow and all sorts of other emotions that just brought a dark and sad image to my head. I wanted to do something, to soothe him somehow. However, I didn't know how.

"Well off you go then," he told me awkwardly. "I'll be seeing you more often," and with that, he sat down at the desk and continued with his work, whatever it was. I made my way to the door, but before closing it behind me, I looked back at the lonesome man sitting at his work desk. His face was buried in the work that needed to be done, but his heart was elsewhere.

Author's Note: So sorry for the late update. I kinda lost hope in this story but the latest comments helped me push through my dampness and now I've come through. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Leave a comment, upvote, or subscribe - anything to support my story! ^^