The Boson Particle

Physics Nerd Vs. Dance Machine

I chewed the inside of my cheek. Unsettling thoughts began to creep in. My leg began to jitter, and soon enough, I was unable to stop it. I decided to calm my nervousness by studying my surroundings. I took in a deep breath and looked up.

The waiting room for the principle's office was outstandingly beautiful. The walls were covered with artistic pictures, and few photos of individual students. The one closest to me was a beautiful girl with long blonde hair and a bright eye smile, showing the scholarship letter in her hand. I smiled. One day, I would love to be on the wall, just like her, holding a scholarship letter.

"Ms. Hwang?" a female voice called out. I spun my head around and faced the receptionist.

"Y-yes?" I stuttered.

"The principle will see you now for the interview," she gave me a meek smile. I nodded my head and got up from the couch. She led me inside the office. There was a sudden distinct smell of wood. Very old wood. The office was relatively dark, but the lamps allowed some artificial light to brighten the room up. The whole wall behind the table was filled stacks of books on shelves.

"Ah Hwang Minyoung, correct?" an old, grey haired man rose up from his seat behind the desk.

"Yes," I gave an awkward bow. He pointed his hand towards the armchair in front of his table. I bowed once more before sitting down. I mentally ran through the actions. Cross my legs, fold my hands across my knees and straighten my shoulders. Look classy. Smile. No... not that much you creep... there you go!

"I'm delighted to finally meet you face to face Ms. Hwang," he said with a genuine grin.

"Eh?" I was utterly confused. Me? Why?

"You probably don't know this, but I actually knew your mother," he said with a big smile. He leaned forward and sat down back in his sit. "I'm sorry for your loss. Your mother was an exceptional woman," he said with a grim face. I gave him a polite smile.

"I'm sorry Mr. Jung... but how do you..." I wasn't sure how to phrase the question politely.

"Know your mother?" Mr. Jung finished the sentence for me. "Your mother was a high school Korean Literature teacher, just like myself. We went to the same college together," he explained. "Here," he said, pointing to a picture on the wall. I looked at the photograph and saw two men and a young woman in graduation robes, holding up their diplomas. One of them was a foreigner with blue eyes. The other male I presumed was Mr. Jung. The woman had long brown curled hair. She was beautiful. Mom.

"You're the same age?" I asked, looking back him. He laughed. "Your mother is quite younger than me, I actually went to college first round doing business but failed... I was better at Korean than I was at thinking," he joked. A made a fake laugh so it would go along with his.

"How's your father's health? He must be working hard in Switzerland," he said with a smile, changing the subject.

"My father's doing well, as far as I'm concerned. Working hard on the new Boson particle," I explained to him. I wondered if he actually knew what I was talking about...

"Ah yes, I read the news paper from time to time," he nodded his head in an intellectual manner. "Anyhow, I'm delighted to finally see you in person. The last time I saw your mother was at her wedding. After that we kept in touch online every now and then but other than that... it was a pity I never tried harder to see her," his eyes filled with sorrow as he pursed his lips. I felt awkward. Hearing another man whom I don't know speak so fondly of my mother... it felt odd.

"I hope your stay here will be pleasant and that you'll enjoy your next two years here," he attempted to change the mood again.

"Heh?" I almost hiccuped.

"Is there a problem?" Mr. Jung asked in confusion.

"I'm... I'm in?" I asked, completely bewildered.

"Oh right! This was supposed to be an interview?" he laughed. "I was going to accept you on the spot but the school policy made it impossible. I had to interview you before accepting you into this school, but all the information I have about you is all I need," he explained with a shrug. "Your grades are outstanding, and we need some more intelligent minds in this school. All we're filled with are beauty queens and dancing bimbos..." he muttered the last part under his breath, but I managed to catch it.

"I'm delighted to hear that you've accepted me so easily," I told him, unable to contain my happiness.

"School starts next week Monday, but you can start moving into the dormitory this week," he handed my some things about my schedule, campus rules, and other bits and pieces. "There will be a lot of events this week before school starts, so make sure to have fun and make new friends," he told me, rising from his seat.

I too rose up. "Mr. Jung... thank you so much!" I shook his hand violently, but I didn't care. I was too freakin' happy.

"Goodbye Ms. Hwang!" he called out as I skipped out the door. I was so overwhelmed and filled with this odd, jelly feeling in my tummy. I leaned my back against the wall and closed my eyes. 

"YES!" I screamed, punching the air in delight. There were no tears of joy, I never cried because of happiness. Screaming out my excitement wasn't enough - I need to move. I did a few crazy dance moves and jumping movements before finally taking a deep breath and relaxing. I was pretty sure I did some weird - chicken dance but on the other note, I think I pulled it off.

I fixed my skirt and turned around, ready to head out of the building. In front of me stood two tall, handsome looking boys. They were wearing loose pants and shirt, showing off their biceps. One of them had been a lollipop but had paused. He was probably traumatized by my dancing skills. I flushed a violent red in my cheeks.

"What?" I hissed at them. They didn't respond, nor did they even flinch. They just stared at me with appalled eyes, as if I them of their innocence. I fixed the hem of shirt and cleared my throat. I awkwardly strutted past them and walked down the hallway with my head held high.

I couldn't believe that just happened but I let it slide... I was too happy. I, Hwang Minyoung, am a Burren High student as of... NOW!

 

Author's Note: Thank you for reading this chapter :) I'm actually having so much fun with this story at the moment. Please leave comments, positive or constructive. I'd be delighted to hear some feedback.