The Kimchi Catalyst

Physics Nerd Vs. Dance Machine

It was the following day when I stood inside my dorm room. It was almost triple the size of my own bedroom. There were two double beds, one at the far end of the room and the other one on the opposite. There were two study desks, one with a computer already installed. A flat-screen television on the wall, two wardrobes, two book shelves and four cabinets. A well decorated room for two individual people.

I hadn't met my roommate yet, and I wasn't really looking forward to it either. I had a feeling I would end up with a snob of some sort.

I pushed my suitcase inside and closed the door behind me. I sat down on one of the beds to feel it. It was amazing. So soft and and silken, it was like heaven. I flopped onto the bed and let a giggle slip through my lips. This was beyond extraordinary what was happening to me. True, I didn't live a poor life but this... this was definitely the best thing that has happened to me in a long while.

I jumped off the bed and walked up to the large window. I pulled back the curtains to allow the morning light inside. I opened the window, letting in the crisp morning air. Peeking my head outside, I watched a group of three boys outside, passing a football around. Two girls, with linked arms, waved at them, giggled, and scattered away with blushed red cheeks. Those boys must be seniors or something, I thought.

"Hello," I heard a chirpy voice. I pulled my head back inside and faced a girl who was standing just inside the room. She was taller than me (which isn't saying much) and had beautiful dark brown hair, curled over and over again. She was wearing a beautiful summer dress with a matching spring hat. She was beautiful, much like everyone else in this school.

"Hello," I gave her a shy bow.

"My name is Tiffany, and you are?" she asked, walking up towards me.

"Me? Oh, my name is... am... I mean..." God I wanted to hit my face off the wall.

"Am is it?" she joked, giving me a bright eye smile.

"Yes yes," I joked along with her. "It's actually Minyoung. Nice to meet you Tiffany."

"We're lucky we got the south-end rooms," she said, walking past me and looking out the window just as I had before. "The sun is so bright it just lightens my mood every time. I haven't seen you on campus before," Tiffany said, looking back at me.

"I'm actually a transfer student," I explained.

"We don't get many transfers," Tiffany noted to herself. "Well, I hope all goes well here in Burren High for you. Have you met anyone yet?" she asked.

"You're the first," I gave her an awkward smile.

"You seem quiet shy. I might have to introduce you to some people around here," she said, plopping down on the bed. "You don't mind if I take this bed?" she asked me.

I didn't mind. I sat down on the other bed and look around the room along with her.

"I'm so excited about all the events that are happening this week," Tiffany clapped her hands. I wasn't really a big fan of such events but I tried to go along with her. "Today is sports day which isn't so much fun, but we get to see ELITE do some awesome things. Tomorrow is music day which ELITE for sure will perform! They will probably be holding auditions this year as a lot of seniors from the year before left..." she rambled on.

"ELITE?" I asked her, raising an eyebrow.

"ELITE are a group of popular girls and boys, who also are exceptional dancers. If you can dance you should try and audition! You'd be so popular!" she giggled.

"Yeah... dancing isn't my thing," I snickered.

"Mine either," Tiffany added. "But I love music. I'm here on a scholarship for piano and song," she explained.

"Really? Me too," I grinned, excited to know she was like myself.

"You're a singer?" she asked in surprise.

"No," I scuffed, "I'm on a scholarship for academics," I explained with a shrug.

"Ah!" she clapped her hands together. "You're smart," she explained it to herself. I kinda had to smile at her. Tiffany seemed like a really... ditsy type of girl. Someone who was very light going and just seemed happy all the time. Her eye smile was her best feature, and it did really light up my mood.

"Is something wrong with my face?" she gasped. Tiffany had noticed I was staring at her face for a while. 

"No no no no no... I just was thinking... never mind," I told her, getting up from the bed.

"Would you like to go for a walk with me?" she asked. "I'm sure you haven't seen campus yet, have you?"

"Campus? Not really..." there was more to the extravagant front garden?

"Come on!" Tiffany rose up from the bed and exited the dorm room with me. She led the way out of the girls' dormitory and into the back garden. Holy moly! That's a back garden? It was like endless fields of mowed lawns and exotic bushes. Occasionally there would be a tennis court... and basket ball court... a horse-riding arena, and a forest.

"There's woodland in the area?" I pointed out the the clattered trees.

"That's Burren woods but no one really goes there. It's kind of deserted and it has it's own.. scary stories," Tiffany explained. I shivered. Ghost stories. Nice.

We walked for what seemed like hours. The sun had reached it's peek and it was beginning to set. We headed back inside the school building and towards the kitchen. The lunch lady was cooking something over the pot when we came in.

"Yum, something smells good," Tiffany approached her.

"Kimchi-guk," the lunch lady stated.

"Can I get a bowl and a light salad please?" Tiffany asked. The lady nodded her head and looked at me, waiting for my request. 

"Eh, the same for me!" I quickly told her. On the tray was a bowl of kimchi soup, a plate of Caesar salad with grated cheese, and sliced up apples as a desert platter. Tiffany walked ahead to grab some juice for us. I gripped onto my tray and turned around. I will never forget what happened next.

My tray collided with someone, the kimchi bowl flinging right onto his chest and down his pants. I gasped, completely covered in shock.

"I-I-I am so s-sorry," I stuttered, unable to contain myself. I looked up with horrified eyes to see a tall man with mutual feelings in his eyes. He grabbed my shoulder, and gripped it tightly with his talons. I wanted to yelp but I was too frightened as he leaned down towards me.

I was about to die.

 

Author's Note: Hello readers! I hope you enjoyed. Hmmm I have subscribers but no comments. Please do leave feedback here and there. I'd really like to know what you think, if it's good of if it's so bad I need to stop writing... haha thanks a million x