The Plank Epoch

Physics Nerd Vs. Dance Machine

My alarm clock rang like a rooster on drugs. I reached out for it from under my bed covers and clocked it's head in hopes of killing it. Don't know if I murdered it, but at least it didn't make any further noise. I stayed in bed for a few more minutes before rolling out. Tiffany, who had returned from visiting her family last night, was no where to be seen. It was the first day of classes... maybe I was already late?

A quick glance at my phone told me I still had my hour. 

I shrugged it off and walked into my bathroom and did my daily thing to make myself smell nice. I combed back my hair but was unable to get rid of that one strand of hair sticking out from the side. The beauty of having short hair. My uniform was hung neatly in my closet. I loved it. It smelled nice and expensive but most of all, it had the Burren high crest on its chest.

I was really in Burren high.

Once all the morning chores such as breakfast and shoes were done, I packed my bag and headed off to the library, where we were meeting up with our head year. I had not met her yet, but Tiffany warned me of her glaring eyes. I headed down the stairs along with a few girls, chatting in excitement. I followed them inside the center of the library. There were no seats, but everyone was standing in a semi-circle. I did the same, to blend in and not stick out like a sore thumb.

"Hey," Tiffany waved at me from the corner. She was with some other friends of her own. I smiled at her but looked up to find a tall woman in a smart suit standing in front of the class.

"Hello pupils, my name is Park Ji Young to those who don't remember me from last semester, or for those of you who are new," her voice was so beautiful and harsh, I couldn't understand how that mix went well together. I was drowning in her beauty, excellence and above else, her voice.

"This is your second last year here in Burren High, all your grades that you receive this year will count as fifty percent of your final grade once you leave. No more having fun and playing around, you all need to get your act together," she spoke firmly, eyeing a few of the giggling male students. "There will be no horse-playing nor bullying tolerated. I want you students to represent Burren High and show off your assests as much as you can, not that you have many," she rolled her eyes but the students still laughed. 

As did I.

I enjoyed her speech about safety and fire exits, with her snide remarks about the misbehaving individuals. We were all given our timetable and locker codes before liberating us. I smiled, delighted that I received all the subjects I had asked for, except for Classical Studies, which couldn't be chosen because only one individual student requested it - me. But I didn't mind, I got everything else and it was pretty awesome. Here I was actually heading to class, my first time in Burren High.

Time/Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
9 - 10:00am Free Period History Biology Mathematics Mathematics
10 - 11:00am English Korean Free Period Biology English
11 - 12:00am Chemistry Chemistry Korean Chemistry Free Period
12 - 1:00pm Free Period Free Period English Free Period Physical Ed
1 - 2:00pm Mathematics Physics Free Period Free Period Physical Ed
2 - 3:00pm Korean Biology Mathematics History Free Period
3 - 4:00pm Physics Free Period Hisotry Korean Physics

I'm not too sure what it was about the timetable that gave me the jitters. I suddenly became all excited again about school and about attending this school especially.

"I hope your stay here will be pleasant and enjoyable," Ji Young said, receiving a round of applause and a few hoots from the playful male student. I stuck my tongue out in disgust. Boys.

"Heya," Tiffany ran up to me. "How's your table looking?" she asked, peeking into it already.

"First thing is... free period," I laughed. She giggled and began chatting and comparing out schedules. I sort of nodded and 'ahemed' at the appropriate moments. It was difficult to pay attention to her to whole time. I even laughed once but she glared at me... guess the timing was wrong.

Now that the school was officially opened, all the libraries were open as well. For my free period, I took the opportunity to stroll around and check out some books. Most of the science ones I had read or I knew of already. I found myself walking away from mathematics and heading towards the fiction and romance area. There, I noticed I wasn't alone. On the armchair across from the biology shelf, sat a boy of roughly my age and wearing Burren High uniform. I tried to take an unnoticeable glance at his name tag.

"Kim Seok Jin"

He caught me staring.

"Is there a problem?" he asked, looking up. I was about to shake my head and apologize until I saw his face, his eyes in particular. Beautiful deep brown in colour, his flat nose and perky lips... what was I staring at?

"Sorry," I finally managed to speak, "I... I was wondering what you were doing here," I explained to him in a hushed tone.

"Why so quiet?" he asked, eyes wide.

"Excuse me?" I asked in confusion.

"This isn't a public library, you can speak to me normally," he explained in a sort of demeaning manner.

"Ah... yes," I nodded to him, about to turn away and mutter a swear word under my breath.

"You're new here?" he asked.

"Mmmm, transfer," I gave him a polite nod and smile. He scuffed. What was with this guy? He was reading a romance novel about war, something I read a long time ago as a kid as well. Nice story, bad writing, but still, nice story. Seok Jin brushed his hand through his hair and cracked his neck in annoyance.

"Is there a problem with being a transfer?" I asked him, eyeing him. I thought he was about to give out to me, his eyes filled with anger, but when he faced me, he realized I was giving him a death glare. He paused, closed his mouth, and didn't say anything. He looked away and began reading his book again. I smiled to myself and started to make my way out of the library.

"You shouldn't have saved the boy last night," Seok Jin called out.

I stopped in my tracks and turned around slowly. It was like a cotton wool was stuck in my throat, unable to swallow or come back up either way.

"You should have just left him," he continued, "better for you, that way."

Author's Note: Kind of a boring chapter, I know, but I really need to show off the school and how her daily life seems normal until the fun begins, like the ending. So the answer to the last chapter's title was... Newton's Second Law of Motion is F = ma. F is force, and boy was beat up using force... yeah not that fun. This chapter's title is too hard to guess how I put it in as well so don't bother... hope you enjoyed @_@