Stone of Bawi

Silver and Iron

It took Sandara three tries before finally connecting a flaming arrow to the Moor's left cheek. Kyungsoo shot his Moor in the right eye on his first try. But then again, Kyungsoo was always the better shot.

The hunters watched the Moors burn, listening to the roars of pain so loud the ground shook.

By the time the hunters returned the root prisons had already dissolved. The forest campers were tending to their wounds, some finding family members separated in the chaos. Luckily there were no major injuries. Just few bruises here and there. Seeing that the situation was secured the hunters decided it was time for them to leave.

As they walked, Sandara went over the events. Usually Moor attacks occurred when travelers disturb a Moor as they sleep. When Moors sleep they bury most of themselves in the ground. Fingers and branches sticking from the head are often left above ground and most people can't tell between a tree or a Moor's body part.

But something was off to Sandara. Turning to her partner she could tell from his expression he also knew something wasn’t right..

"Kyungsoo," she said to get her partners attention. The male hunter turned towards her. "The Moors, they weren't harming the campers. It's almost like..."

Her partner nodded. "they were looking for something... That's not exactly something Moors do."

The duo were about leave the clearing and enter the forest again when a man called after them.

"Excuse me! Hunters please don't leave yet!" Sandara turned around to see a middle aged man running towards them. He was wearing the usual brown tunic over black trousers campers wore. Like the others, his skin was very tanned, implying hours upon hours out in the sun. His hair and beard were long and unkempt, both tied in pony tails.  

"I'm glad I caught you two in time you haven't gotten your payment!"

Sandara didn't move as Kyungsoo stepped forward and gave him a small smile, "It's all right, we don't charge for missions we aren't requested for."

Afterall, they were two of the most famous hunters in the land. Only rich towns and wealthy landowners could afford their fees. Taking down two Moors was almost a walk in the park.

The man was confused but he didn't press on. "Oh alright, but you still need to come back. Elder Halmoni said it was important she gave you something."

"Really it's alright, no payment needed" Kyungsoo told him again.

"Oh this isn't payment. Something about not wanting Moors to take it. I'm not sure if anything she says makes sense, she's really old but she'll be really upset if you don't come."

The hunters looked at each other, their expressions blank.

Sandara thinned her lips. "Something the Moors wants, huh", she whispered to her partner.

Kyungsoo grinned, turning back to the now confused man. "Well, we can't upset Elder Halmoni now can we..."

 


 

15 minutes later the hunting duo found themselves sitting side by side in a large tent. Kyungsoo was growing restless. A stranger wouldn't notice, after all Kyungsoo was very good at staying still for hours until the perfect opportunity arises. But Sandara knew what to look for. The twitching of his lips, the small movement of his eyebrows.

It wasn't like the tent was uncomfortable, the tent itself was furnished in soft blankets and pillows. The small old lady sitting in front of them, Elder Halmoni, was taking her sweet time searching through her small bag. Her eyesight wasn't great, forcing her to closely inspect the items and she worked slowly because of her old bones.

Another 10 minutes Kyungsoo let out a small sigh of relief, too quiet for an elderly person to hear. The old lady took out a jagged rock and set it in front of them. At first glance one would assume it was a normal blue rock. However, upon closer inspection, the hunters saw that the rock itself was clear. There was a swirling azure mist that gave the rock it's color.

The hunters looked at it in silence for while until Kyungsoo, bless his soul, finally asked, "What is this?"

"This is just a piece of the Stone of Bawi". Elder Halmoni spoke the stones name like a prayer.

"What's that?" Kyungsoo asked.

The old lady smiled to herself, squinting her fading eyes. She brought the stone up and gently enclosed it in Sandara's hand.

"The Stone of Bawi," she began, "was created long before even I was born. So long ago that even my grandfather, the one who pasted it down to me, did not know its origins."

"Does it have a purpose?" Sandara asked quietly. Her gaze was still on the stone, mesmerized by its swirling blue mist.

"Luckily for us the Stone of Bawi's power has not been forgotten". Elder Halmoni looked fondly at the stone. She talked very slowly and quietly, occasionally pausing to take a few breaths. Sandara could tell it was tiring her, but Elder Halmoni continued on. "The Stone of Bawi holds great power. If fallen in the hands of a gifted magic wielder, its energy could be harvested and used for great destruction".

"How much destruction could it cause?", Sandara asked.

"Enough power to wipe out all of South Korea and more. It would turn the land into a wasteland, stripping it of all its life."

She paused to let the shocked hunters absorb the information. "For generations the Stone remained guarded in the powerful city of Westchester. When my grandfather was a young man, an attempt was made to steal the stone. Luckily, the attempt failed and the Stone remained in the safe hands of the Emperor, but it had been very close. The Emperor and the Council of Westchester agreed it was too dangerous to allow the Stone of Bawi to stay in public knowledge. So it was split into 5 pieces and scattered across South Korea, the pieces were given to the most trusted and noble families. This piece you're holding has been passed down in my family for generations".

It was a while before either of the hunters said anything. There was an unpleasant feeling lying at the bottom of Sandara's stomach. She made eye contact with Kyungsoo and knew there was a mutual understanding between them. He had the same disturbing thought.

"Someone sent the Moors then", Kyungsoo eventually whispered, his tone was hush and troubled, "someone's going after them".

The old woman smiled softly, "That's right young hunter".

"Why are you telling this to us?", Sandara asked.

If Elder Halmoni noticed the suspicion in her voice, she didn't comment on it. She simply replied, "I am growing old young huntress, I am weak and fragile with no children. I can no longer protect my piece of the stone."

"Why us?"

The old woman laughed, though it was more of a crackle. "You ask a lot of questions young huntress", Lady Halnomi said, amused. "I will ask my own question, you two are the great hunters, Silver and Iron, yes? Now don't look surprised, I recognize the silver dagger".

Sandara looked down to her boot and silently cursed. The holder had torn slightly during the fight with the Moors. It wasn't torn enough that the dagger would fall out, but the tear was big enough for the elegant design of the dagger to peak through.

It was Kyungsoo who spoke this time, "What if we are Elder Halmoni? With all due respect, you've only just met us. We could make easy money off this stone."

The old woman went into another coughing fit before replying. Kyungsoo noticed the way her shoulders trembled, her bony hands held in a weak fist in front of to cover her coughing.

When she was done, she said in a sad tone, "I am afraid that I really don't know if I can trust you two. However, you do not need to be a prophet to see that I am nearing the end of my days. Soon there will be no one to guard my piece of the Stone of Bawi."

Elder Halmoni paused to look at both hunters, as if she were looking into their very hearts, before continuing. "When I look at you two I see good people. I've heard stories of your bravery and courage, and today you saved people and expected no payment in return, as you have done many times in the past."

The two hunters took some time to absorb the words Elder Halmoni had just spoken.

Finally Kyungsoo asked, "What do you want us to do Elder Halmoni?".

The old woman wrapped her fingers around the hand Sandara was using to hold the stone. Her fingers were cold and trembling, but her grip was strong. She turned to face the both. Voice quiet and serious she spoke, "I ask of great things from you, a thing you may want to refuse. The magic wielder who sent those Moors are strong, and if they successfully obtain all the pieces of the stone, terrible things will happen. Please, protect the Stone of Bawi with your life."

 


 

"Why don't we just destroy the piece?" Kyungsoo asked. The male hunter was lying on his back, stone held above his face as he studied the way it's blue mist moved.

After the talk, Elder Halmoni ordered her people to move immediately, not wanting to attract another attack. It was nearing nightfall and the hunters were too far from the next town.

They had been given tent, a mattress for two, and two large blanket, as well as plenty of food and water to last the day.

Sandara was lying on her side towards him, the two had pushed their mattresses together so they were side-by-side. "We don't know a lot about the stone, something terrible might happen".

Kyungsoo sighed, put the stone into his pocket, and his side to face his friend. "Remind me why we're doing this again Dara".

"I like living in South Korea and don't want thousands of people to die?"

"Haha you're hilarious" Kyungsoo replied and then retaliated by stealing her blanket.

"Kyungsoo give that back."

"No, you're mean." It was quiet for five seconds until he found himself being attacked by tickles.

"Dara get off me!" he yelled through a fit of giggles

"No, you're mean." she threw the words at him mockingly.

Kyungsoo would have been offend at the terrible impression of himself if he hadn't been dying of laughter.