Silver and Iron

Silver and Iron

 

Monster Index:

Werebeast: Close cousins with werewolves. They are identical to werewolves when it comes to the wolf form. However, werebeast do not have a human form, they are completely beast. Attack villages in packs, feed on hearts, identical to werewolves when it comes to pack hierarchy (alpha, beta, omega) Killed by silver to the heart. Wolfsbane can be lethal if intaken in large quantities.

Vampires: Monsters that take human form. They have sharp retractable teeth that imerge from their gums over their "human" teeth. Supernatural strength and speed. Feed of human blood. Killed by holy water or sunlight. A human can become a vampire when the human drinks vampire blood.


Exactly ten years have past since the slaughter of the Seoul village. So much has changed. The little girl is no longer a little girl. She and her old friend have shed their birthnames, because Park Sandara and Do Kyungsoo died with their families ten years ago. Their new names are whispered throughout the lands.

"...saw Silver and Iron with the..."

"... did Silver and Iron ....?"

"...heard of Silver and Iron..."

Sandara lies still on the uncomfortable straw bed. She's been staring blankly at the yellow stain on the ceiling of the run down inn for an hour now as her partner rumages through their bags. Closing her eyes, she listens to Kyungsoo's soft singing as he searches.

Even with each pasting year, the memories only grow so vivid. She remembers every. single. detail.

Father's scream of fear and agony.

The tears that streamed down her face as Kyungsoo held her back from running towards her father. 

"We can't save him! We'll die too! Come on, we'll be safe in forest."

But they weren't really safe. The werebeasts could smell fear through the stone cave the orphans took shelter in. They should have been eaten if it weren't for the passing hunters who heard the screams of the villagers from miles away. The hunters had to quickly run to get supplies. Wolf's bane, silver dangers, silver lace. They weren't fast enough to save the Soeul villagers, but they were fast enough to save the two orphans. 

Sandara gasped as a werebeast tore out the throat of a hunter. She didn't look at the man's lifeless body, too paniked by the werebeast who turned its interest at her. For a moment, beast and girl held eye contact.

And then it lunged.

The werebeast knocked her over. It had her pinned to the cave ground, snarling it's fangs, ready to rip out just like how it did with the hunter.   

Prehaps the werebeast was distracted that day. Or it had something to do with the already large amount of silver present in the cave. Whatever the reason was, the werebeast hadn't notice the silver dagger Sandara was in possesion of until she impaled it in the werebeast's heart. 

The young girl didn't break eye contact until it died. She watched light die from the monsters eyes. She felt the body go limp. She felt the blood pool out on her with no joy or fear. 


Sandara snaps her eyes open and quickly sits up on the bed. The blanket falls onto her legs, it hadn't been there before she drifted to sleep.

"Hey sleepy head, bad dream?" 

She only just notices how rapid and harsh her breathing is. She takes a few deep breaths before turning towards the direction of the familar voice. It's dark in the room now and the inn's too crap to provide a lantern. Not even a candle. 

She's too shaken to speak, but Kyungsoo doesn't need words to know.

He delicately wraps the blanket around her. It's cold in the room. "The usual?" He ask sitting down beside her. 

There's no need for Sandara to confirm when Kyungsoo already knows the answer, but she nods anyway. She brings her hand up and rubs her temples with her thumb and forefinger. "Sorry I must have drifted to sleep. We'll have to stay for an extra day". She grimances at the idea, but the town people were all asleep by now.

"Nah I went ahead and talked to some of the towns people while you were asleep".

She feels a spike of guilt in her stomach. "You really didn't have too. You could have woken me up". Sometimes Sandara drifts off while they're hunting and Kyungsoo can never seem to bring himself to waking her up. 

He waves her concern away. "It's alright. I want to spend another day in this inn as much as you. Besides, you rarely get any sleep."

Sandara smiles, weary but not sad. "Did you find anything?"

"A waitress at a bar saw one of the victims leave with a pretty red haired lady the night before he disappeared. A bar tender at a different bar saw the exact same thing with another victim"

Sandara sighs. Men are to easy to lead to their deaths. "Is it safe to assume it was the same woman?"

Kyungsoo climbs of the bed, heading towards the table. "Looks like it. Seems like we're just dealing with one vampire." He grabs the container of holy water and drinks, "I can handle this alone to be honest."

Sandara's already pulling on her gear. "No I'll finish the mission you already did your part while I was sleeping." She looks up to her partner. "It's only fair", she states.

Kyungsoo looks at her and grins micheveiously. "Too late I already drank all the holy water" He throws the container at her.

She catches it and checks it's content. Empty. "Kyungsoo.." she starts.

"Go to sleep Dara. Besides, I'm male, it's more likely she'll target me. All I have to do is wait unsuspectingly at a bar, let her drink my holy water tainted blood, and I'll be home in no time." And like that he's out the door before Sandara can get a word.

Shaking her head she heads back to bed half dressed for hunting. A few more hours won't hurt.


The next morning, Sandara wakes up to an empty room. Kyungsoo didn't return last night.