The News

The New Moon

I feel like I'm dreaming! Today, everything went so perfectly! Kris actually said I was a 'nice girl'! I shouldn't get too over excited, but I can't believe it! I'm so glad we moved here! I'm really glad we came to this city! "Mum, Grandma! I'm home!"

As you came in, you were greeted with your family huddling around the television, in near darkness. The light from the T.V lit the faces of your mum and grandma with an eery glow, only some of their features being more prominant than the others.

The gas... has not spread to urban areas. I repeat. The gas has not spread to urban areas.

"....Mom? ....Grandma?"

Helyawne... and Exolaern residents, we ask that you please remain calm.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?"

Horriffic pictures flashed on the small screen. People in masses charging away from the villages around Exolaern. Their faces, struck with fear in its purest form, trying - and failing - to get away from the deadly fluid. A small girl, standing within the mosh pit like state, balling her eyes out, with piercing screams of her parents searching for her. One of the residents confronted the police preventing them from getting out. "ARE YOU TELLING US TO IN GAS AND DIE!?"

He replied. "There's been a railway accident! The train is not coming!"

I repeat.

Late June 21, early June 22, volcanic gas engulfed Helyawne Village in the municipality of Exolaern.

This gas is extremely poisonous.

There is no hope that any families in Helyawne, the villiage closest to the eruption site, have survived.

Addressing the question of why the damage spread so far to begin with... The gas outbreak happened at two in the morning. Almost all the residents of Helyawne  would have been asleep.

I believe that they passed away without ever knowing what happened.

"What?"

Her mother finally started talking, "__________, you remember don't you? That's the village your grandmother's family lived in. Helyawne. She had a lot of relatives there..."

Now, live from the scene...

"I'll try calling some relatives. I hope I get through..."

I'm live at Exolaern station.

Ah! Exolaern...

The station platform is jam-packed with citizens trying to evacuate. But there are no signs of any trains coming...

An image flashed up of your old town, Exolaern. It's hardly changed from how it was last year. "But grandma, maybe... maybe we were lucky! If we hadn't moved, I'll bet we would've gotten caught up in this all too!"

Your grandma turned to face you, her face in distraught. "__________. THIS IS THE CURSE...."

You sat on the edge of the couch, your mind has gone completley blank, but your eyes grew to the size of dishplates. "...Huh...?"

Your grandmother continued: "There's no doubt in my mind that they've been struck by Gilraen's curse.. How dreadful, how dreadful..."

Gilraen? The one we have the shrine too?

As for Helyawne, the village where the gas eruption occured... Some say that perhaps this disaster had been foreseen in the folklore from long ago. When teh village's guardian diety smites them with a curse, a miasma will gush forth... 

...and swallow the villiage, thus destroying it. So the legend goes. It's terrible. 

A small group on the television were huddled, and wore hoods to desguise their identity. The were chanting in a sustained tone, as if they were all linked.

Oooooh.... Gilrean... Gilrean...

It's Gilrean's Curse. I know it is...

"....Grandma... just... what is... Gilrean? Isn't Gilrean a match-making God?" you spoke innocently, trying to hide your true curiosity.

"Gilrean is much, much greater and more exalted than that. Gilrean is powerful and terrifying when angry." she said, with her palms together in a praying state.

You decided to pri for more information, "Is that any reason to do all that? even if you're a God...?"

"Normally, Gilrean is very merciful.." She said while kneeling on the floor, her head slightly lowered, still. "...But he has very strict rules. This isn't just a natural disaster. It is the wrath of Gilrean."

It is likely that a similar outbreak orccured long ago... and that disaster would have remained in their folklore. For example, there are regions all over the country with stories about legendary tsunamis and other disasters...

You turned to grandma and smiled, hoping that the previous comment on television would lighten her up."Ah... hear that? It makes sense when they put it that way."

Your grandma suddenly stood up and looked at you. "IT'S NOT LIKE THAT __________! THIS IS GILRAEN'S CURSE!" she screamed, her voice sound slightly raspy by the force behind those words. You didn't know what to do, you just sat in silence, until she did something.

"...COME WITH ME!" She snatched your wrist, creating a burning pain as if you had been slapped. She pulled you out the room, the skin on your wrist moving, increasing in pain as her hand tightened in grip. She finally let go when you got to the shrine, sitting at the end of the dining room, near the glass patio doors.

"Listen. Do it like this. Bow twice, clap twice, bow once..." You felt very uncomfortable as your grandma showed you how to worship Gilraen. You've never been very religious or take part in religious activities, so you didn't really know what to feel - except knowing that you didn't want to be there. "Now.. you try." Your grandma turned to you.

"...I'll... pass.. I don't like this very much..." You slowly shuffled towards the door, trying not to draw attention to yourself.

Your grandma suddenly yanked your wrist once more, the pain coming back again. You could here the despiration increase in her voice. "...Please!You have to! I'm your grandmother. I'm begging you!" 

You tried to pull yourself free, yet your just hurting yourself more. "G..GRANDMA!? THAT HURTS...!" you cried.

"WORSHIP WITH YOUR GRANDMOTHER!"

"No..." You winced as her grip grew tighter.

"GILRAEN'S CURSE MIGHT STRIKE YOU TOO, _________! COME NOW! YOU'RE A GOOD GIRL!"

You tried wiggling yourself, trying to shake her off as if she was some insect. "I'm scared... I'M SCARED...!"

"________________!!!!!!!!" Your grandmother's eyes completely dialated, and a voice emerged from like no other. It was if she was possessed. Her true self compressed into the core, to be replaced with a new mind. She was not herself.

Tears started pouring down your cheeks. "NOOOO!!" With that final bit of strength you threw your arm down. WHAM! You threw your fragile grandmother down onto the floor, in a small heap. She slowly moved into a praying position. You glanced down at you wrist, which had a bright red hand print plastered under your skin. She started to make a noise.

" Gilraen... Gilraen..."

You stood there motionless, your arms hung dead by your side. Tears still falling from your cheeks, down your school uniform.

"__________ really is a kind, obediant, good girl... Please don't curse her... Please forgive her... If you must curse someone... I'm old, please curse me..." She started making long, throat noises, as if she was in a trance once more. "...UNNGH...UUUNNNGH..."