Youth | Hyunah Sohyun

4MINUTE Drabbles and One Shots

Picture not mine. Found it lurking on Twitter. This baby is based on a Bollywood movie 'Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani' starring Ranbir and my other girl crush, gorgeous Deepika. So as you can see, to those who have watched the movie, the dialogues, most of them are from the movie. But the writing was all me. This was finished long ago, but was wiped with the rest of my short stories so I was kind of depressed. One day, I was clearing my laptop and guess what I found? This along with others. So stay tuned.

 

Today they argued again, on whose part of life is better than the other. She being a hopeless romantic and sentimental person defended her town, although not as exciting and fast paced as New York, nor it was the founder city of love, Paris, still her little Seoul stood high apart from all cities. For it held memories of her childhood, her friends, also it was also the very city where she met him. Not that she was going to point out that particular memory to him. 

He, one of those who had a strong sense of wanderlust and relationship allergic kind, argued that there are more to life than just repeating routine in the same place everyday. Life must have a little bit of spicy curry, a bit of sweet cupcakes and a little of instant pizza. If only you'd know what he actually mean. However, not even him could resist the warmth of home as he was slowly drawn in by her ideas. Not that he would actually say it out loud.

"You know Jing Jing, you're not right. You're just very different from me"

His words brought a little smile on her pout as she was scanning through some scarves. Picking up an orange one, she turned towards him abruptly.

"I know"

She wrapped the piece of cloth on his neck deciding that the colour was a bit too dull for her liking, pulling on his nose because she felt like it.

"Don't call me Jing Jing"

Cue a chuckle from him.

"So tell me, should your children came from the same father or should I help?"

...

"I was on a track in France when my Seoul phone blast" 

He was looking at a distance out of the window in a car they rode together back to the venue of their best friend's wedding, as if he is trying to hide that side of him. From her.

"There were hundreds of missed calls, my step mom, Hobie, Kwonsso. My father's heart stopped"

A throb pierced through as she remembered. Kwonsso was devastated, crying on her shoulders that day when the burial rites were performed. That was also the first time she ever saw the ever so cheerful and positive minded Hoseok frown. What he would've felt, as he wasn't even there? 

"He always told me to come home more often, and I was always so busy. Now I wouldn't even get to see him again" 

"He would understand"

She said breathily, more to a whisper as she curled her arm around his, wrapping her fingers into his slender ones hoping it would transfer the warmth of comfort into him. She knows he was looking at the top of her head with a confused look. 

"He would understand anyway. After all, he's your father"

...

It was a beautiful night, Sohyun's bachelor night. It was just a normal, get together night, nothing involving strippers and all, mind you. She was staring at him in awe, when that journalist best friend of hers jerked her from the back earning a playful punch on his side. 

"So I take that as you moved on from Hobie already?"

Her eyes twinkled to his in pure surprise.

"You knew?"

He rolled his eyes.

"Everybody knows, except for that brat"

She burst into laughter.

"You know, Hoseok was never in that relationship. How could I expect more from him?"

"So, Jungkook?"

Her eyes darted back to the tall figure she was staring at some time ago, her pout forming a small smile, her cheeks felt hotter than it was supposed to be.

"With him, how could I explain it? It's like before he came along, I was fine. But when I'm with him, I realized that I could be happy too. He triggered all kinds of feeling I thought I could never experience. So, yeah"

And so here he was, holding to two bottles of beer, his eyes searching for her. Oh, when he finally found her. How could he explain this raging feelings inside of him when she already has a bottle with her, and she was conversing, and smiling, and laughing, but that person was not him?

"Who are you?" 

"Sehun?"

He repeated the question again, this time his eyes were fixed on this stranger sitting beside her. How is it that he never saw him before?

"I could've asked you the same question"

"I don't care who you are, get lost"

Her eyes widened at his blatant rudeness. Her body was already filled with fury. Who was he to be such a rude jerk?

"Sorry?"

The stranger started to frown, standing up, looking ready for an incoming fight. He glared, coming closer and closer and spat out with a threatening tone.

"I said, you, get lost"

"Stop it!"

She glided herself between the two pissed off men, glaring at Sehun, signaling him to stop picking a fight before turning towards the other. "

Tae, can you leave us? I'll talk to you later, hmm? Please?"

“Alright”

Her eyes sending him away with guilt and embarrassment. Swiftly, she turned back towards him, her voice sounded vicious but in his head there was only one thing.

"You, are not my boyfriend. On what grounds, did you have to do that for?"

"Then, is he your boyfriend? I thought you only drank with me"

"No, he's only a friend. And I want you to apologize"

"The only thing I feel like doing right now is punching him.Whoever it is, you should send him away"

She grew annoyed at his words. What is it that he wants? Why do she have to do whatever he wants? What right do he have on her?

"Why should I?" 

"Because you should stay with me. You belong with me"

"This is getting ridiculous"

Turning away from him, she walked towards the building only to be pulled back.

"Hyunah" 

"I don't want to stay here with you"

"Why? I..." 

"Because. If I stay with you, even a second longer, I'll fall for you. Again"

She braved herself to stare at his eyes. 

"And you'll not. Again"

He only pulled her close to him as a response, his lips already caught hers, feeling himself melting at the sweet taste of her lips. God, how he want to stay like this forever. Her knees were shaking when she pulled away from the searing kiss, it felt almost dreamlike. Blood rushed to both her cheeks as she ran inside leaving him to his thoughts. 

...

He only saw her again at the party, shyly approaching him when she noticed that he was coming towards her.

"I love you"

He confessed, hand reaching out, asking for a dance and she gladly receive it. 

"I love you too"

Silence. She looked up at him.

"But, I love you is just a beginning. Where will we go after that, Sehun?"

He didn't have an answer to that and kept mum.

"I'm a simple girl, yearning for a simple life. I dreamed of settling down and build my own happiness"

"Don't say that, please. Don't go"

He tighten his hold of her waist.

"Then, you, don't go. Don't go to Paris. Because I can't come with you. How could I? Everything's here. Umma. Appa. Clinic. Stay here with me, don't chase your only dream and reason of your happiness"

"Okay, how about this? You come home every two months. And no funny business. After 3 to 4 years, come back for good. That's alright with you?"

His expression changed, and he was about to say something when she hugged him, burying her face in front of his chest. Her eyes watered as she hushed him.

"I know. I understand you. But this, can't go on. Forget me"

She tried to pry off of him, when he held her closer against him.

"Please, Hyunah. Don't. This feels nice"

"All the more reason I must go"

"Please, 1 minute"

She was still trying to push herself off him.

"No, 5 seconds"

He inhaled the scent of her hair as she finally gave up and stay closer. It was sweet as it was addicting. Is this the right decision? Their paths will never cross again? At the same time, she pushed his chest lightly when she felt his hold loosening. Wiping her tears away, she willed herself to walk away, trying hard to resist the urge to turn around and ran to him instead. This is right. This is the right decision. They will both be happier this way.

Curving up her lips into a smile, she walked towards the drunk Kwonsso, her fiancee and Hoseok, holding the girl up by her waist. 

"What happened?"

"She tried to smash the bartender with her heels"

The kinds of friends she had.

...

Today's the day. He adjusted his cufflinks and his vest to appear more neat, helping Hoseok into his attire after giving the man some medicine to control his hungover. After some refreshments into his system, he seemed to function quite normally, even asking to drive. As if.

"I swear Hoseok, if you don't stop it right now, I'll throw you out and go to the wedding by myself"

The man only raised both of his hands as a response.

"Fine, fine. But I get to drive us back and send you to the airport, got it?"

"Whatever you want, princess"

He got a playful punch on his shoulder for that comment and both of them burst into laughter as he drove towards the hall. It had been so long since they laughed together like this. It actually felt nice. 

...

"Nervous, ?"

Hyunah, donning a beautiful light pink gown stared at her trying to calm herself down as the stylist made a few last touch ups on her, holding out a glass of champagne, which she took gratefully and empty out. Hyunah laughed slightly.

"You wait until it's your turn"

Sohyun glared at her best friend now bridesmaid, and a wiggle of tongue from her as a reply. The door to the dress room fly open, revealing the planner informing them that the groom has arrived and it's their turn now. They were in front of the chapel entrance when Hyunah suddenly hugged her. She hugged her back, her eyes already watering.

"Ah, yah. Are you trying to ruin my make up?"

"I'll miss you"

"No way in hell. You're going to get used to us, pestering you until you got married. FYI, you're the one who are going to deliver my baby"

The statement made her eyes round, staring at Sohyun's stomach underneath the heavy white laces. 

"Whatever you're thinking, it's not true"

"Well, it's not like I could think of something decent when you dropped a bomb like that. And stop talking and walk, your song's playing"

Seeing Kwonsso in a wedding dress tugged his heart, but what really caught his attention was the girl in the pink dress walking behind her, holding a bouquet of flowers. He couldn't seem to move his eyes away.

"Do you, Kwon Sohyun, take Jeon Jungkook as your lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and health, till death do you apart?"

All attention was on Sohyun as she gazed into Jungkook's eyes, her own eyes reddened and watered as she finally said 'I do'. She hugged the two men goodbye, one final gesture before she left in Jungkook’s arms, while Hyunah watched, tear stricken, from the side. It's not long before her gaze met Sehun's, knowing he'll left for Paris tonight, she slowly carved out a smile. So this is goodbye. Once again.

...

"I guess it's just you and me now"

Cherry only stared at her, purring as she came closer to her lap and rubbing her head all over her pants, making the woman chuckle. She picked the orange cat and made her sit comfortably on her lap before reaching for the remote controller. 

"Let's see what's on tonight, okay baby girl?"

The cat only purred contently as a reply.

'Ding dong!'

She looked up and gazed at the door.

"I wonder who came at this hour of the night?"

The one at the door was not someone that she expect at all. Standing at the front door in the middle of the hallway, holding a bouquet of roses and a bottle of champagne, smiling at her as if she was a stack of million dollars, he pecked her lips and invited himself in.

 "You?"

"Hey"

"What're you doing here?" He proceeded to give her the flowers and placed the bottle on the table, then went to the drawers in the kitchen to look for something to open it with. 

"The cork opener is in the shelf"

"Found it"

He beamed and grabbed two glasses.

"So Paris?"

He popped the bottle open and poured the content into the glass.

"Cancel"

He tossed the glass to her, which she reflexively catch, thankfully, glaring at him.

"I see you still got some moves"

"I thought it was a very important job for you"

"Yes. Was. Now it is you"

"Me?"

She sat at the table while he was looking around for the lamp switch.

"Shall we make the lighting more romantic?"

He flicked the switch leaving the whole room dark. He flicked around some more, grinning when he finally found the right lighting. Turning around, he was taken aback when he saw her face streaming with tears. He rushed to her immediately, cradling her face in his hands.

"Hey, what's the matter? Are you afraid of the dark?"

"No. It's just"

She paused to sob a little.

"It's such an important dream to you. And you're giving it up?"

He rolled his eyes.

"Well, to gain something, you will have to give up something, right?"

"But, why me? You could have had any woman you want, remember the Russian twins?"

"It's all because of you! You messed up everything! My mind's only filled with you. I still want the same thing, but I want them with you. I still want to travel the whole world, but with your hand in mine. Now, do me a favor and take responsibility"

He got down on his knees and took out a velvet square box from his pocket. She only stared at him in disbelief as he slided up a ring into one of her left finger. She brought her hand up to take a look only to roll her eyes.

"This is fake"

"But my love is true, baby"

Cue a chuckle.

"Sorry baby doll, I didn't have much time to pick the real one"

"But this is real, right? You, wanting to get married? Right? Marriage is like boiled potatoes for 40 years until the rest of your life. Are you ready?"

"Are you trying to scare me?"

"Already scared? I don't think this is your cup of tea. Just forget it"

"Fine, I'm leaving"

"Sehun!"

He turned back around, coming nearer to her, and cradled her face before bending down to capture her lips in a sweet, slow kiss.

"Listen, even if you feed me boiled potatoes, nagged and fought me for the littlest reason, every single day, for the rest of my life, I'm here, I'm never running away. I gave up Paris for you, for heaven's sake. I'd be a fool if I let you go, aren't I? So, do I need to write a whole parch of poems or do you finally believe me now?"

Eyes bleary with tears, she punched his shoulder lightly before leaping into his arms, butterflies filling her stomach, overwhelmed with happiness.

"Fool"

...

"It's done. It took my whole brain to convince him you know, I even resort to threat him with TaeTae, it doesn’t help when Tae actually had a crush on her. You owe me, Kwonsso"

She was calling him from the airport with her husband’s phone because her own own cell died not too long ago, while Jungkook left to check-in. She blushed when he kissed her forehead leaving her giddy before he go. Truly, she had moved on. Hiding her giddiness with a cough, she focused on her conversation with her very first love.

"I knew it. I always knew that Sehun had a thing for Jing Jing. Fine Hobie, I'll introduce you to Jiyoon. I'm hanging up"

"Kwonsso?"

"Nae?"

"Be happy"

 

'Youth, hope, and love' 

-Anonymous