Seventeenth Stop

Choo-Choo Talk

Sujin stepped onto the subway, feeling extra nervous. She hadn’t been spoken with Suga since that night after dinner and she felt jittery, as if they hadn’t been friends for a while already. She felt like something had shifted in their relationship after that hug but she wasn’t sure if he had felt it—and if he had, would he confront it?

He was lounging in his usual seat, staring out the window, and she clumsily made her way to him.

“Good morning,” she greeted with a shy smile.

He looked up and nodded. She thought she saw the glimmer of a frown, making her wonder if she was the only one who felt they had gotten closer. She sat down stiffly next to him and squeaked when she suddenly felt his warm breath on her cheek.

“Pretend you don’t know me,” he murmured in her ear.

She frowned and opened , but her phone beeped and she pulled it out to find a text from him.

Do what I say. I’ll explain later.

She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. He was facing away from her pointedly. With a sigh, she replied, Okay.

The ride to school was stuffy and awkward. She could tell that he was more tense than usual and when she peeked at him, his eyes seemed more alert, more wary than usual. She surreptitiously looked around, her eyes trailing across strangers’ faces and landed on some mean-looking boys in a different school's uniform who kept throwing glares in her direction. With a start, she realized they must be targeting Suga. One of them caught her gaze and she quickly looked away, hoping he hadn’t noticed her—though she was sitting right next to Suga, so they were probably wondering who the heck she was.

Maybe she shouldn’t have sat with Suga this morning….

“As soon as we get to our stop, run to school,” Suga breathed into her ear. “Got it?”

She gulped and nodded, fixing her eyes on the doors. The subway stopped and she was up and in front of the doors right as they opened. She spilled out with the other passengers and ran off, looking over her shoulder for Suga.

He was walking casually, hands stuffed into his pockets, like he didn’t have a care in the world. She noticed the boys from before piling out and stalking after him; she was sure he knew they were following him, but he didn’t acknowledge them, just met her eyes and jerked his head forward, telling her to go.

So she did.

She ran through the gate and into the building before stopping right inside the doors and turning to look for him, breathing hard. Her eyes searched the crowd of students anxiously, biting her lip and bouncing on her toes impatiently as she waited.

Eventually, he appeared, as unruffled and nonchalant as ever. He sauntered into the school and she pounced.

“Suga, what—what was that about?” she asked breathily, still panting from her run.

He grabbed her arm firmly and guided her down the hall to her locker. “Some guys are after me. I beat up their leader a few months ago and pissed ‘em off. You shouldn’t be around me or Jungkook for a while. They’ll be watching us and I don’t want you on their radar.”

“What? But you—”

“They will hurt you, Sujin.” They stopped in front of her locker and he drilled his eyes into hers. “Be more careful when you’re alone, will ya? I can’t always be there to save you.”

“I—I can take care of myself!” she protested weakly, pouting when he gave her a very unconvinced look. “I—fine. But—here! I brought your lunch.” She pulled a lunchbox out of her bag and shoved it at him without meeting his eyes. “I, um, well, I hope you like it.”

He stared at it incredulously for several seconds before accepting it. “You—you really—”

She nodded.

“Uh—thanks,” he coughed. “I’ll…see you.”

“Wait, Suga!” She pinched his hoodie and tugged at it. He looked at her curiously. “Are you—I mean, have you, well, um, have you been sleeping okay?”

He gave her the strangest look.

She blushed and played with the hem of her shirt. “Because, well, I know you had trouble sleeping and, um, I mean, that doesn’t, um, go away very easily so I just, you know, wondered. Um.”

He exhaled sharply and there was a decidedly amused quality to it. “Yeah. Yeah, I’ve been sleeping—well, better than before. Which is enough.”

“I see. Ohsorry, also! Um, I was wondering…well, I just—would it be okay if I, maybe, went to your house again? Would—would you be okay with that? Or…” She bit her lip and then hastily said, “Never mind, forget I said anything.”

“You shouldn’t. You need to stay away from me, remember?”

“Oh…right. Yeah, um, sorry.”

Suga stared at her and cursed under his breath. She looked so sad and downcast, like a wounded puppy, that he couldn’t stop himself from saying, “Ah, , you know what? If—if you wanna come, let me know first so I can pick you up at the station. And don’t—don’t come at night.”

She brightened and smiled widely before nodding happily. “O-okay!”

He cleared his throat and put on a fierce face, feeling really weird in the chest area. “I’m gonna go now.”

“Mm-hmm! Bye, Suga!” She gave a cute little wave and his eyebrows twitched at the sight.

He hurried off, clutching the lunchbox to his stomach and trying not to think about her sunny smile.


Yumi slammed her hands down on the table and pinned Sujin with her stare. “So. How was it?”

“How was what?” Sujin asked innocently.

“You know what! Dinner? With Suga? Was he horrible? I chose his clothes, by the way. That’s why he didn’t meet your parents looking like a thug.”

“Yumi!” Sujin admonished. “He does not look like a thug! And yes, he told me about how you busted into his house.”

Yumi sat back and crossed her arms over her chest, looking immensely satisfied. “Yep. I didn’t have a lot to work with, but I made it happen. You can thank me now.”

Sujin rolled her eyes. “It was nice, though my parents still asked too many questions. Suga took it all really well, even though he was uncomfortable. I think my parents liked him.” She smiled.

Yumi’s eyebrows were into her hairline. “Wow, really? Guess he has some manners after all. You know, I think he’s really mellowed out since he met you. He’s not as scary as he used to be.”

“Actually, I think he used to be so grumpy because he couldn’t fall asleep,” Sujin giggled. “He says he’s sleeping better now, but…”

“You’re such a worrywart, Su,” Yumi sighed.

“I can’t help it!”

“Hey, where’s the idiot?”

Sujin squinted. “Who?”

“You know, Jungkook?”

“He’s not an idiot!” Sujin shook her head. “I don’t know. I think he’s staying away. Suga told me that there’s this other gang after them right now.”

Yumi gasped. “For reals? What gang?”

Sujin shrugged. “Dunno. I think they were on the subway this morning but I didn’t recognize their uniforms.”

“Oh my god, you saw them?” Yumi slapped her cheeks. “Why is your life so much more exciting than mine? It’s not fair!”

“I don’t want exciting!” Sujin huffed. “Anyway, apparently Suga hurt their leader and now they want revenge or something.”

Yumi snapped and pointed at her. “I heard about that! I think it was when J-Hope was still in the gang. A few months ago, BTS was fighting this gang and Suga went bat crazy on the leader. Heard he almost killed the guy. See, Su, that’s why I don’t trust him.”

Sujin’s heart pounded loudly in her ears. “That’s—that’s just a rumor, right? He wouldn’t—no.”

Yumi squeezed her hand. “I wouldn’t be so sure, Sujin. Suga—like I said, he’s mellowed out. But he’s still a gangster and he’s still dangerous. Be careful around him. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Sujin didn’t respond. She was too busy thinking about Suga and all the things she didn’t know about him.


A/N: Oh noes! Sujin realizes there is still much she doesn't know! Maybe too much for her to handle? >.<

Yes, it's a double update as an apology for taking so long! Usually I try to have at least two chapters written so that when I post one, there's still another waiting in the wings, but lately I've been suffering writers' block so that hasn't happened. I'll try to get back into my groooove. I'm feeling only a few more chapters, actually, and then onto another member's story!

Enjoy the fluff while you still can!

nah there'll be lots more fluff I just can't help but write it lol

skyblaze208, OUT!


© Copyright 2015 by skyblaze208