May 2014

Perfectly Imperfect - indefinite hiatus

Kyungsoo looked around the crowded student union cafeteria. It was nearly lunchtime, so it was crammed with other students. Some were scarfing down a meal between classes, others were studying. A few were even sleeping. It was loud and noisy, with a million different smells accosting him from every direction. Kyungsoo, who had had a long day of classes and was exhausted, wanted nothing more than to find a seat and enjoy his coffee. It was so crowded that it looked like he wasn’t going to find an empty place to sit down, though.

Or so he thought until he saw a familiar face waving to him from a booth in the corner.

Grinning, Kyungsoo walked over to join Jonghyun at the booth. “Nice to see a friendly face around here,” he commented by way of greeting, sliding into the seat opposite his friend.

Jonghyun chuckled, dipping a French fry in some ketchup before popping it into his mouth. “Tell me about it. I feel as though I’ve got a billion friends at this university, but I never actually see any of them while I’m on campus.” He paused to grab another fry. “So what are you up to today?”

“Just between classes,” Kyungsoo explained, gesturing to his coffee. “Trying to get some caffeine in me so I can make it through my shift at the library tonight. What about you? I thought you signed up exclusively for afternoon classes. I didn’t think you’d be on campus this early.”

“My first class today isn’t until one,” Jonghyun agreed. “I was supposed to meet Kibum for lunch but – big surprise – he’s late. Again.” He didn’t even bother to hide the bitterness in his voice.

Kyungsoo sensed that something was amiss. “What are you talking about? Isn’t Kibum pretty punctual most of the time?”

Jonghyun pushed a fry around his ketchup for a minute. “He used to be. He’s gotten so busy with his coursework and his new friends that he doesn’t have as much time for me.”

“You guys live together,” Kyungsoo pointed out. “Don’t you see each other every day?”

Jonghyun just shrugged, still playing with his food. He seemed to have lost his appetite.

Kibum chose that moment to arrive, sliding into the booth beside Jonghyun with a breathless little huff, tossing his bag down on the seat. “Hey, sorry I’m late,” he huffed, face flushed. “I got caught up working on a project with one of my classmates.” He beamed at Kyungsoo. “Hey, Kyunggie!”

Kyungsoo smiled back. “Hey Kibum. Seems like you’re pretty busy these days with your classes.”

Kibum didn’t need more of an invitation to talk about his classes. “Yeah, the fashion department is really fast-paced,” he gushed eagerly, swiping a French fry from his boyfriend’s plate. “I’m finally taking some advanced classes, so I’m getting to see such amazing work! There are designers and models in my classes, and everyone has so many ideas and projects! It really gets my creativity flowing!”

Jonghyun threw an uneaten fry back onto his plate. “I’m so glad you’re loving all your new beautiful, glamorous friends,” he muttered, and his sarcasm wasn’t lost on either of his companions.

Kibum frowned. “What are you talking about?” he demanded, a defensive edge in his voice. “You haven’t even seen most of my classmates.”

Jonghyun snorted derisively. “Designers and models?” he repeated. “I know what designers and models are like. If you want a more glamorous boyfriend, then why don’t you just date one of them?”

“Kim Jonghyun, you are being absolutely ridiculous!” Kibum fumed. “God, I can’t even handle you when you’re being like this!”

“Like what?” Jonghyun exploded.

“So-so stupid!” Kibum shot back furiously.

“Kibum!”

Their argument was interrupted by the arrival of a pretty faced boy with dark hair and impeccable fashion sense. He didn’t seem to realize that he was interrupting a rather tense moment, because he was beaming as he came over.

“Kibum, I’ve got an hour before my next class,” the boy explained eagerly. “If you want, we can do the fitting now.”

Kibum glanced at Jonghyun, who was still fuming. “You know what? Yeah, let’s do it. I think my plans just got cancelled.” He got to his feet, nose in the air as he slung his bag over his shoulder. “See you later, Kyunggie. Jonghyun…just, whatever.” And he left with the pretty-faced boy.

Jonghyun was furious. “God, can you believe the nerve of him?” he hissed through clenched teeth. “What an !”

Kyungsoo tried to do damage control. Jonghyun and Kibum had been together for a long time, after all, and they’d been through a lot together. It would be a shame if they broke up over something as silly as this. “You have to look at it from his point of view,” he suggested. “To Kibum, you’re getting jealous over nothing.”

“It’s not nothing!” Jonghyun exploded. “Did you see that guy he left with? He’s gorgeous!”

Kyungsoo gave Jonghyun a flat look. “Has Kibum ever done anything to make you not trust him?”

But Jonghyun refused to answer the question. “I’ve got to go,” he mumbled, grabbing his bag and his tray. “See you later.” And then he was gone.

Kyungsoo groaned and let his head fall onto the table with a thunk. So much for a relaxing moment between classes.


“They’ve had fights before,” Jinki pointed out bluntly.

It was Saturday, and Kyungsoo had a rare day off when Jongin was working so he’d taken the opportunity to visit Taemin. He had been released from the hospital but hadn’t been okayed to return to school yet, so he was staying at his parents’ house, attended by a private tutor and physical therapists, until he could.

He was currently propped up in his enormous bed, eating candy and half-heartedly watching a drama on the flat-screen television mounted across from the bed. Minho was perched on the edge of Taemin’s bed, working on some homework, and Kyungsoo and Jinki were sitting in some armchairs arranged near the bed.

Kyungsoo shook his head. “Not like this,” he muttered. “You should’ve seen them. I’ve never seen them so angry with each other.”

“Jonghyun can be a jealous and Kibum can be an insensitive jerk,” Minho pointed out, not even glancing up from his homework. “Just give it some time and they’ll work it out themselves.”

“But it’s been two weeks already!” Kyungsoo exclaimed, groaning. “They haven’t been talking, and Jonghyun all but moved out of their apartment.”

This caught his friends’ attention.

“What do you mean, he moved out of their apartment?” Jinki demanded, suddenly a lot more interested in Kyungsoo’s gossip.

Kyungsoo shrugged. “I mean just that. He’s been crashing with Junmyeon for the past two weeks.”

Minho frowned. “Maybe this is a bit more serious than we thought.”

“But we can’t get involved,” Taemin said sternly. He gave his older brother a meaningful look. “Nothing good happens when you meddle in other people’s relationships, remember?”

Kyungsoo frowned, then gave himself a shake. “Look at me! All I’m talking about is Kibum and Jonghyun. I’m sorry, Taemin. We’re here visiting you. How are you feeling?”

“Bored,” Taemin answered honestly. “I wish they’d let me go back to school. It’s boring as hell here, and my mother has all of a sudden turned into June Cleaver. She keeps hovering around me. It’s annoying.”

Jinki threw a potato chip at his brother. “Be nice,” he said with a laugh. “She’s doing it because she cares.”

Taemin caught the chip with a grin and popped it into his mouth. “I know, I know.”

“So any clue when you’ll get to go back?” Kyungsoo pressed.

“Probably not until after summer vacation,” Taemin grumbled. “The doctors say everything is healing nicely and that there doesn’t appear to be any lasting brain damage, but the physical therapy is really difficult for me and they don’t want me to push myself.”

“They’re right,” Minho said sternly, glancing up from his homework. “You need to listen to your doctors so you can get well.”

“I will, I will,” Taemin promised. “If you think I’m going to risk getting the opportunity to move in with you after graduation, you’re insane.”

Jinki clamped his hands over his ears. “You guys living together is literally the very last thing I want to think about,” he groaned. “I can’t think of my baby brother like that!”

They all laughed, but Kyungsoo was still preoccupied with Jonghyun and Kibum’s fight. 


HI guys! I'm back!

I know, I know! You probably thought I had fallen off the face of the planet or something. I'm really sorry for my extended hiatus. But first there was so much to do with the wedding, and then the wedding itself, and then the honeymoon, and then coming back to Korea and getting settled in again. Not to mention that both my husband and I have been having health issues, so things have been insanely hectic. 

But I'm back now and I swear updates will start coming very regularly again! 

Also, here are just a few photos from the wedding :)

We had a great wedding and a great honeymoon!

Thanks to everyone for your congratulations and for being patient with me during this busy time in my life!!

<3 <3 <3