January 2014

Perfectly Imperfect - indefinite hiatus

The snow didn’t let up for months, turning the little college neighborhood where Kyungsoo and Jongin lived into a winter wonderland. Normally Kyungsoo wouldn’t mind the cold – snow was magical, after all – but he didn’t exactly appreciate having to traipse through it every day just to get to class and his part-time job at the university library. He spent most of his time bundled up in so many layers that he had to waddle to and fro like a penguin.

Jongin, on the other hand, didn’t seem to mind the cold nearly as much. He wore a single jacket, maybe a scarf if it was especially cold and windy that day. He always seemed to be laughing when he saw Kyungsoo pulling on his sweater, his jacket, his coat, his scarf, his gloves, and his hat – not to mention the two pairs of woolly socks he’d taken to wearing.

“It’s not funny, you jerk,” he grumbled one morning as he was getting ready to go to his first class. His voice came out muffled by the woolen scarf his mother had knitted him for Christmas. “Hypothermia and frostbite are no joking matter.”

Jongin chuckled again, pulling Kyungsoo in by the scarf so he could press their lips together. “Unless you’re planning on spending the next twenty-four hours outside, I don’t think you’re in danger of either frostbite or hypothermia.”

Kyungsoo wanted to argue with him, but those lips were just too delectable. “Well, better safe than sorry,” he said breathlessly when Jongin finally pulled away.

Jongin laughed and smacked him on the bottom – it was quite soft, as Kyungsoo was wearing long underwear under his jeans. “You’re silly,” he said lovingly. “Now off you go. Don’t want you to be late for class.”

Kyungsoo looked at him in surprise. “Wait, aren’t you coming? Don’t you have to work at the studio today?”

Jongin shook his head, leaning against the back of the couch. “The studio has been kind of slow so they cancelled my classes today.”

“Isn’t that bad?” Kyungsoo asked worriedly, toeing on his winter boots. “I mean, we sort of need the money…”

Jongin kissed him again. “It’s fine, yeobo. It’s one day. Just go to class and have a good time.”

Kyungsoo sighed but allowed his boyfriend to kiss him more thoroughly. “See you later, baby.”

With one last kiss, Kyungsoo was out the door.

It was a Friday, which meant Kyungsoo had three of his hardest classes with only one hour-long break between during which he usually found a quiet corner of the humanities building to scarf down a sandwich from the student union building and squeeze in a few more minutes of studying before his last class. It was a stressful sort of day, but at least he was kept so busy that he didn’t have much time to think – wistfully – of Jongin lounging around at home on his day off. He figured Jongin was doing nothing but playing video games and eating junk food; he was infinitely jealous.

Eventually his final class ended and he gathered up his belongings and headed across campus to the library. He’d just finished stripping off all his many layers of warmth when his supervisor stumbled across him in the staffroom, hanging up his coats and scarf in his locker.

“Oh, Kyungsoo,” she said with some surprise. “I forgot you were supposed to come in today.”

Kyungsoo tried not to grimace. His name had been on the schedule for that day for weeks; he wasn’t that forgettable of a person.

His supervisor just waved her hand. “You know what? We’re pretty dead today since classes just started back a few weeks ago. Why don’t you just take the day off.”

He blinked at her. “Wait, are you serious? You’re really giving me the day off? You never give anybody a day off.”

She quirked an eyebrow at him. “You’re on salary, so you’re getting paid regardless. Can’t you just say thank you and enjoy an afternoon off?”

Kyungsoo blushed. “O-okay. Thank you.”

She just winked and disappeared to shelve some books that had just been returned.

So Kyungsoo put on all the outer garments he had just taken off, slung his heavy bag over his shoulder, and began the trek through the snow back to his apartment.

He was most of the way there when he was intercepted by none other than Junmyeon.

“Kyunggie!” his old friend called cheerfully, looking sort of like a walking snowman because he was just as bundled up as Kyungsoo was. “Long time no see!”

“Tell me about it,” Kyungsoo grinned from behind his scarf. Both he and Junmyeon had been busy lately, and they hadn’t had much time to spend together.

Junmyeon checked the time on his phone. “Are you finished with classes already? And you’re not at the library?”

“It’s pretty dead at this time of year, so my supervisor sent me home early,” Kyungsoo explained.

Junmyeon’s face – what little of it Kyungsoo could actually see – split into a broad grin. “I’m free right now, too! Do you want to do something? We could catch a movie or grab a bite to eat if you’d like.”

Kyungsoo is torn. Part of him would like nothing more than to go home and cuddle up under the electric blanket with his boyfriend to watch a movie, but the other part of him really missed hanging out with Junmyeon. “Can we drop my bag off at home first?” he asked. “I want to check on Jongin and see what he’s up to. He had the day off today.”

“Sure,” Junmyeon agreed, gloved hands shoved deep in his pockets. “We’re close to your place anyway.”

They chatted amicably as Kyungsoo led the way to his building, up the elevator, and into his apartment. “Jongin!” he called, toeing off his wet boots in the foyer. “I’m home early!” No answer. “Hello?”

Junmyeon followed Kyungsoo into the living room, which was clean and tidy and not at all the way Kyungsoo had expected to find it after Jongin having the day off. “Doesn’t look like he’s here…”

Kyungsoo frowned. Usually Jongin would text him if he was going out, but maybe it just slipped his mind, or maybe he knew that Kyungsoo would be busy so he hadn’t wanted to bother him. Yeah, that must have been it. “I’ll just call him real fast,” Kyungsoo said.

Jongin answered after the second ring. “Hey yeobo,” he said cheerfully. “What’s up? Aren’t you at work?”

“We weren’t busy, so I got sent home early,” Kyungsoo explained, perching on the armrest of the couch. “Where are you? You’re not at home?”

“Ah, I went out with Luhan and Yixing,” Jongin explained apologetically. “We’re practicing in one of the empty studios at my work. But I can come home if you want me to.”

“That’s okay,” Kyungsoo said, unable to keep a smile from spreading across his face. His boyfriend really was the best. “I’m actually going to go out with Junmyeon. I just wanted to check on you.”

“Ah, well have fun,” Jongin said. “Tell Junmyeon to keep his hands to himself.”

Kyungsoo laughed and rolled his eyes. “I don’t think that’s a problem, baby. He’ll probably just talk my ear off about Jungsoo.”

“I will not,” Junmyeon insisted huffily.

Jongin heard him and laughed more loudly. “Okay, okay. Have fun. I’ll see you tonight. We’ll have a nice dinner, okay?”

Kyungsoo beamed. “Okay. See you later. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

“So what should we do?” Junmyeon asked eagerly as Kyungsoo hung up the phone and slipped it back into his pocket.

The younger thought about it. “Movies? I’ve been wanting to see that new sci-fi flick that’s out.”

“I was hoping you’d say that,” Junmyeon admitted with a grin. “I’ve been wanting to see it for ages, but Jungsoo won’t go. He hates sci-fi.”

“Well, the sci-fi movie it is then,” Kyungsoo laughed.

It was getting dark by the time the movie ended, and Kyungsoo was starting to get hungry. The thought of having a nice dinner with his boyfriend was getting more and more appealing with every passing minute.

“Are you hungry?” Junmyeon asked when Kyungsoo’s stomach gave a particularly loud growl. “We can go grab something to eat if you’d like. My treat.”

“Ah, I already promised Jongin we could have dinner together tonight,” Kyungsoo said apologetically. “Maybe next week, though? We could go to that place where the waitresses all like you and give you free stuff.”

Junmyeon laughed. “It’s a plan. Let me walk you home, then.”

“Oh, you don’t have to,” Kyungsoo said quickly. “I’m sure you have more important things to do.”

“Not really,” Junmyeon admitted with a little laugh. “Come on. I insist.”

With a laugh, Kyungsoo gave in. “Well, if you insist…”

They were halfway back to Kyungsoo’s apartment when Junmyeon stopped suddenly and snapped his fingers. “Crap! I forgot I was supposed to swing by Kibum’s place to grab a cd he borrowed. Do you mind if we make a quick detour?”

“For a cd?” Kyungsoo demanded. “Can’t you just wait and get it next time you see him?”

“No!” Junmyeon practically wailed. “The thing is, it’s not exactly my cd that I lent him. It’s one of Jungsoo’s, and he’ll kill me if he realizes I loaned it out. He’s coming by tomorrow, so I have to have the cd by then!”

“Well, why don’t we just part ways here then?” Kyungsoo suggested. “We’re not that far from my apartment.”

“No way,” Junmyeon said stubbornly. “I don’t want to go alone. Kibum and Jonghyun will probably be all over each other if it’s just me there. You have to come along to diffuse the situation.”

“Big baby,” Kyungsoo accused, but he actually wouldn’t mind seeing Kibum and Jonghyun. It had been a while since he’d hung out with them as well since they’d all been busy since before the holiday season.

Junmyeon beamed. “Great.” He linked his arm through Kyungsoo’s. “Let’s go.”

Junmyeon had to pound on the door to Jonghyun and Kibum’s apartment for a good two minutes before Jonghyun finally pulled it open. He was wearing a baggy sweatshirt and his hair was a mess, like he’d just woken up from a nap.

“Jesus, you’re loud,” he complained. “What do you want?”

“I need to get that cd that I loaned Kibum,” Junmyeon explained apologetically. “I really need it back before tomorrow.”

“Ugh, you’re so annoying,” Jonghyun groaned. “Come on. Kibum’s not here, but I think I can find it for you. Kyunggie, just make yourself comfortable. Hopefully it won’t take too long to find this damn cd.”

So Kyungsoo sank down on the sofa, stretching his legs out in front of him, allowing his eyes to close as he fantasized about his evening with Jongin.

He nearly jumped out of his skin when the sound of thirty or more people sudden screamed, “Surprise!”

He actually fell off the sofa, knocking his knee rather painfully against the corner of the coffee table.

Everyone was there: Jongin, Kibum, Jonghyun, Junmyeon, Jungsoo, Yixing, Seoyun, Luhan, and Jinki. Minho, Sehun, and Taemin were there. Even Sunho and Dahae were there, though the baby must have been with a sitter.

Kyungsoo clapped his hand over his heart. “W-what is this?” he stammered.

“Did you forget that your birthday is in two days?” Jongin demanded, coming over and giving him a kiss on the lips despite all the people crowded around them.

“Wait, so all of you were in on this?” Kyungsoo demanded, fake-glaring at Junmyeon.

“Hey, you did it to me on my birthday senior year of high school,” Junmyeon reminded him with a grin. “I thought we were going to see a movie but instead you took me to Yifan’s house.”

Kyungsoo laughed. “I do remember that, incidentally.”

“Even your boss at the library was in on it,” Jongin admitted with a grin.

Kyungsoo laughed. “I knew there was something weird about her giving me the day off.” He looked around at all of his gathered friends. “Thank you guys so much. I’ve never had a surprise birthday party before.”

“Just wait until you try the cake,” Kibum said with a smug smile. “It’s a masterpiece of a confection, if I do say so myself.”

“I can second that opinion,” Jonghyun pointed out. “I think I ate nearly as much batter as went into the pan.”

“Yeah, so if the cake is on the small side, you can blame Jonghyun,” Kibum said, rolling his eyes.

“I’m sure it’s perfect,” Kyungsoo said, fighting to keep his enormous smile under control. “I can’t believe all of you went to all this trouble just for me.”

“Without you, where would we be, Kyunggie?” Jinki said with a smile. “If it weren’t for you, I might never have reconciled with my brother.” He threw an arm around Taemin’s shoulder.

“I never would’ve met Junmyeon if it weren’t for you,” Jungsoo pointed out.

“Yixing and I might not have ever gotten back together, either,” Seoyun said, smiling and leaning into her fiancé’s embrace.

“Kibum and I would never have been walked in on during if it weren’t for you,” Jonghyun supplied helpfully.

Kyungsoo covered his face with his hands. “I could’ve lived without that last one, to be honest.” Everyone laughed.

Kibum brought out the cake then – it really was a masterpiece, and that was saying something. Jinki and Yixing fought over who got to light the candles – there were two long ones representing Kyungsoo’s twenty years – and then everyone was singing happy birthday as loud as they could.

It wasn’t until everyone was settled around on every available surface with a paper plate full of cake that Jongin leaned in and whispered, “I hope it’s okay. I know we’re saving money, so I couldn’t go as all out as I wanted to.”

Kyungsoo leaned up to give him a sugary kiss. “It’s absolutely perfect, baby. I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.” 


Um...hi? 

I know I promised I'd update regularly again but...life happens...

soooo have this pretty picture of my wedding cake? 

Also, my sister is pregnant and she is due on Christmas. She thinks I'm going to Australia for my winter vacation because it's such a long trip back to America, but I'm going to surprise her and show up. Any good ideas on how to surprise a very heavily pregnant woman? I don't want to make her jump or anything haha

(7 months, 1 week, and 2 days until the wedding!)