Chapter 2

The Torn One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Please save her! She’s pregnant with my child!”

Taeng just couldn’t stop shouting at the paramedics. For the first time in his life, he wished he was a doctor instead. Maybe he could save his wife.

“Sir, please calm down. We’re doing our best for your wife here.”

One of the paramedics was getting agitated with Taeng’s interference. They understood his anxiety but they needed to work swiftly. 

“I’m sorry! But she’s all I have! I need her!”

Taeng couldn’t stop crying. He’s a grown up man and it was pretty ugly to watch him crying his eyes out. 

Tiffany was sitting with him. She watched with guilt and heartache in her heart. This wasn’t supposed to happen. This was so wrong.

“Fany, what am I supposed to do now?!”

Taeng turned to face Tiffany who was still stumped by the whole accident. It happened too quickly and it was killing Tiffany instantly.

“I’ don’t know, Taeng but I’m sorry.”

Taeng just continued to shed tears. This was the first time Tiffany has seen Kim Taeng crashing his confidence to the ground; feeling terrified and cried so much. 

And it just proved one thing to Tiffany – Kim Taeng loves Jessica Jung more than he loves Tiffany Hwang.

*

Taeng was staring at the operating theatre for a long time now. His heart was aching so badly. He was praying hard too. His best buddy, Kwon Yul and his wife Sunny finally came. Yul was extremely upset with Taeng. He didn’t say a single word but Sunny was kind enough.

“Taeng, don’t worry. Jessica will be fine.”

“No she will not be. The paramedics struggled so much to get her heart beating again.”

“I wish God takes Jessica instantly.”

Yul suddenly spoke up. Taeng didn’t fight back. He knew his best buddy was upset.

“Yul!”

“It’s true! He’s still the same Kim Taeng!”

“Kwon Yul! Let’s get out first. You’re following your emotions too strongly.”

Sunny dragged Yul out of the waiting room much to Taeng’s relief. He didn’t want to create a scene there but he knew he didn’t have much right to yell at his friend.

Suddenly someone came and slapped him across the face. Taeng was shocked to see his father being furious at him.

“What do you think you’re doing, Taeng?! Why are you doing this to our beloved daughter in law?! She’s pregnant with your child, mind you!”

“Kim Taeng! I entrusted my daughter to you and this is what you did to her!”

His father in law was about to punch him when his mother in law pulled him away. His own mother was holding his father back. 

“What kind of man are you?!”

“You useless piece of !”

“I didn’t raise you up as a beast! Why are you like this?!”

That’s all Taeng could hear but he was more concerned with his wife’s life.

“Sica, I’m sorry. Please don’t leave me behind. I need you.”

He whispered softly.

*

“Your wife’s life is stabilized but in a critical condition. Fortunately your baby is still safe. Do you want to keep your baby?”

“How about my wife?”

“If you wish to keep your baby, we can keep your wife alive.”

“She’s in coma?”

“Yes, Mr Kim. Your wife is in a coma. If you wish to keep both lives, I’ll introduce to our resident gynaecologist, 
Dr Choi Soo Young. He can help you.”

Taeng didn’t have much choice. He was certain that Jessica would want to keep the baby. But her father didn’t want her to live.

“Kim Taeng, you don’t have the right to say anything.”

“Father, the baby is mine. She’s my wife.”

“But you almost killed them!”

“Then let me make it up to them.”

Taeng refused to give up on Jessica. He had the final say. He would put Jessica on the support system. If he could keep Jessica alive for as long as he could, he would do that. 

“Who’s going to take care of them?”

“I will. I can do it.”

“Are you sure? Wouldn’t you be gallivanting with some other girls?”

“I will never do that. I promise you. I promise every one of you here; god dammit! I’ll never hurt Jessica anymore!”

Taeng’s eyes were so red but his face was determined. 

“Nobody can take her away from me. Not even death.”

He walked away after that.

*

Tiffany stayed away from the hospital. But she was always nearby. She wanted to know how Jessica was doing. She was responsible for Jessica’s accident. 

“Tiffany, you’re still here?”

Amber was her informant. Everyone found out about her affair with Taeng but Amber was the one who stuck by her.

“How is she, Amber?”

“She’s in coma.”

Tiffany’s face turned pale. This wasn’t something she wanted to know. She buried her face in her hands.

“What have I done, Amber?”

“It wasn’t your fault, Tiffany.”

“How can it be not my fault?”

“It’s always easier to point to Love as the biggest culprit.”

“Amber, Jessica trusted me.”

“Tiffany, everything has been said and done. All you could do is to pray for her recovery.”

Tiffany nodded her head sorrowfully. She didn’t realize that one mistake could almost cost someone’s life. 

“Keep me updated, Amber.”

“Sure, I will.”

*

Dr Choi Soo Young, the most eligible bachelor in town, was doing his rounds. His big eyes and his friendly smile would just melt any girl’s heart away. He walked past the mini garden when he saw someone. 

It’s a lady whose eyes were red and swollen. He was frowning away. The girl seemed to be upset over something. Dr Choi wasn’t too sure if he should approach her but nevertheless he did.

He cautiously made his way towards the young lady. She was still unaware of his presence.

“Hi?”

The lady slowly turned to look at him. Her eyes were completely swollen.

“Are you alright?”

The lady shook her head before turning to look at his nametag. She finally acknowledged his presence.

“Do you need someone to talk to?”

“It’s alright.”

“Okay, I guess I should be going then.”

The lady just nodded her head and looked ahead. But Dr Choi didn’t want to give up. He had to know her name.

“Well, before I move on, can I know your name?”

“Why?”

“You’re beautiful. I need a name to remember by.”

The lady gave a slight smile before nodding her head.

“Tiffany.”

“That’s a nice name. Well Tiffany, I don’t know what’s on your mind but you’re really beautiful. It will be even prettier if you could stop crying and smile. No matter how difficult it could get, you should always smile.”

He smiled before moving on. The girl didn’t say anything but somehow her eyes showed appreciation for his concern.

“She’s really a beauty.”

He chuckled to himself.

*

“Hi, I’m Dr Choi.”

He stretched his hand out to Taeng. The man was almost lifeless but nevertheless, upbeat. 

“I’ve checked your wife’s health condition. It is risky to keep the baby while she’s in comatose condition but I’d try my best.”

“You have to keep it alive. My wife would like that.”

“I understand Mr Kim but I hope you understand the risk behind this.”

Taeng turned to look at his wife before caressing her cheeks gently.

“I’ll give her my heart if I have to keep both of them alive.”

Dr Choi sighed softly. He has been in this kind of situations before and it always brought tears to his eyes to see how parents willing to do anything for their sick child. 

He couldn’t help but feeling sorry for Mr Kim and his family. 

“I’m touched to witness your undying love for your wife, Mr Kim.”

Taeng shook his head.

“I’m not a good man. I almost killed my wife and my own child.”

Dr Choi was taken aback. 

“If not for my infidelity, my wife would be still living well now.”

“But you showed remorse. I’m sure your wife will understand you.”

Taeng didn’t answer so Dr Choi took his leave. He caressed Taeng’s left shoulder before excused himself. It was painful enough for Dr Choi to watch Taeng’s crumbling self when it comes to his wife.

“He must have realized how much he loves his wife and regretting it so badly.”

Dr Choi sighed. 

*

Tiffany was still at the hospital. She was still sitting on the bench at the mini garden. Her eyes were still red but she has stopped crying. She wanted to see Jessica before leaving. She saw Taeng earlier on but she didn’t dare to go in.

Her heart was aching so much. She wanted to apologize to Jessica herself. She suddenly saw Taeng walking out from Jessica’s room. She quickly hid behind the pillar. He looked horrible.

“I’m sorry, Taeng.”

Tiffany whispered to herself.

She waited for 10 more minutes before decided to see Jessica. She stood outside the door; looking into from the glass pane. Her heart was aching when she saw the machines hooked up to Jessica to keep her alive.

She quietly walked in and stood by Jessica’s bed. She wanted so much to hear Jessica’s voice but she knew Jessica wouldn’t reply to her now.

“Sica, I’m sorry. I’m really sorry for putting you through this. I didn’t mean to lie to you. I didn’t mean to fall in love with him either. If I knew it would lead to this, I wouldn’t do this, Jessica.”

Tears fell from the corner of her eyes. She held Jessica’s hand tightly.

“Forgive me, Jessica. Forgive Taeng. Give him a chance to learn to love you well. He’s a good man, Jessica. We have broken off. We were just a minute too late.”

Tiffany wiped her tears away.

“I don’t c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter