Chapter 3

The Torn One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been 6 months since Jessica’s accident. The broken hearted lady was still comatose and the guilt-ridden husband was getting thinner by the day. The only comfort Kim Taeng got – watching his baby growing in his beloved wife’s womb. The couple was expecting a baby boy. 

“Look Mr Kim, there is your baby.”

Taeng’s heart was filled with love. He could hear the foetus’s heart was beating gently against the machine. He gently held out his hand on Jessica’s and then kissed it lightly. 

“Mr Kim, I believe you’re going to be a father of a baby boy!”

Double joy! Taeng wouldn’t stop tearing. He’s going to have a son. He held Jessica’s hand tightly and then leaned 
closer to kiss her lips.

“Sica, you’re going to be a mother of a baby boy. Please wake up soon. I swear I’ll be faithful to you. I love you, Jessica Jung. Please, wake up.”

Dr Choi looked on with a heavy heart. He too prayed silently in his heart. This family wouldn’t be completed without the mother.

“Mrs Kim, I know you don’t me but please don’t sleep any longer. Your baby needs you.”

Dr Choi prayed sincerely.

*

“Taeng?”

He snapped out from his thoughts. He turned to find Sunny at the door. He smiled before standing up. He greeted her.

“Taeng, how are you doing? Have you been eating?”

“I don’t really have the appetite, Sunny.”

“Taeng ah, you are no longer handsome now.”

Taeng grinned and then smirked.

“It’s okay. I don’t intend to look handsome anyway.”

“Where’s that arrogant and confident Kim Taeng?”

Taeng pulled out the chair and gave it to Sunny. He placed both of his hands on her shoulders and squeezed gently. He then walked over to the other side of the bed and poured Sunny a glass of water.

He smiled as he handed the glass over.

“Kim Taeng is a mature man now. He’s no longer the arrogant Taeng.”

Sunny smiled widely. She nodded her head.

“Taeng, you are a changed man. I’m really proud of you. Jessica will be really happy to see your change.”

Taeng nodded his head.

“How’s the baby?”

Taeng beamed immediately.

“He’s growing really well. Dr Choi said he’s really active. I had fun with him yesterday. I was actually playing with him.”

“You did?”

“Yeah, the moment I touched his mommy’s tummy, I felt him kicking.”

Sunny’s eyes grew larger.

“Really?!”

“Yes, he did! I’m already in love with my baby boy.”

Taeng was grinning like a silly child. Sunny chuckled softly. She has never seen this side of Taeng. He’s such a loving husband and adoring dad. Sunny somehow felt that Taeng would definitely be a good father.

“You’re going to be a great Daddy, Taeng.”

Taeng’s eyes turned watery. He turned to look at Jessica. His heart was aching so badly.

“I wanna be a good husband too.”

Sunny bit her lower lip.

“I wanna love Jessica the way she deserves to be loved.”

“Taeng..”

“I cannot lose her, Sunny. Her life is my heart. If she leaves, my heart will die with her.”

Taeng cried quietly.

*

“Is Jessica’s baby doing well?”

Tiffany was having an ice cream outing with Dr Choi. He insisted that she should meet him. He claimed he was bored.

“Noona, I’ve told you so many times before. The baby’s growing really well.”

“I thought you hate calling me Noona?”

“Actually I feel like calling you something else.”

Tiffany took a bite of her ice cream and turned to look at Dr Choi.

“Hmm?”

“Can I call you baby instead?”

Tiffany’s eyes grew larger.

*

“What the heck did he say that for?!”

Tiffany was frustrated. Dr Choi just screwed her mind up. She knew him for 6 months now and he was acting weirdly lately.

“Choi Soo Young, you have been messing up my life ever since I met you at the garden!”

Tiffany was screaming to nobody. She was confused and agitated since Dr Choi confessed his feelings for her earlier on. 

“Tiffany, I really like you. I have been waiting for this long to tell you that I really really like you.”

“Soo Young, do you know what you’re talking about?”

“I know. I’m aware. You’re just being too hard on yourself!”

“You do know how screwed my life is, right?”

“Nobody is blaming you anymore. You have already apologized to Mr & Mrs Kim’s parents and family. They accepted your apologies.”

“But I cannot forgive myself. Not until Jessica’s awake.”

“Then you’re going to suffer for as long as Jessica’s not awake?”

“It’s unfair that I’m having a great time of my life while she and her baby have to suffer because of my irresponsibility.”

“It’s not only you.”

“Taeng has enough on his hands. I just cannot accept you just as yet.”

Soo Young was defeated.

“Not until Jessica’s awake.”

“And if she’s not going to wake up forever?”

Tiffany sighed.

“Then I won’t find love forever.”

Tiffany’s tears fell immediately as she recalled Dr Choi’s defeated look. His eyes were watery and he was awfully quiet when he sent her home earlier on. She knew she has broken his heart but Tiffany couldn’t forgive herself at all.

She didn’t think she deserves happiness before Jessica.

She took this as her punishment.

“I’m sorry, Soo Young. I’m really sorry.”

Tiffany cried silently into her pillow.

*
Dr Choi was with Jessica when Taeng walked in. He smiled awkwardly and Taeng found it weird. This doctor was always full of life but this morning, he was rather dead.

“Are you okay, Dr Choi?”

“Huh?”

“You look distracted.”

“I’m okay. Mrs Kim is doing fine this morning. Baby Kim is as active as ever.”

Taeng smiled proudly. He went over to Jessica and kissed her forehead gently. Then he kissed Jessica’s tummy. He felt movements.

“Good morning, Baby Kim. You’re so happy to hear Daddy’s voice, huh?”

Dr Choi looked on with a smile. He may be a guy but he’s sensitive towards things like this. But he’s awfully quiet which made Taeng curious.

“Where’s the happy Dr Choi?”

Dr Choi was taken aback.

“You are always smiling but today I don’t see a trace of it.”

Dr Choi sighed.

“The matters of the heart always take the best things from us, right?”

Taeng understood that. He nodded his head. 

“So, did you fight with your wife?”

“I haven’t got her yet.”

“Ah, trying to woo someone?”

Dr Choi turned and saw the smirk on Taeng’s face.

“I heard you were quite a Casanova.”

Taeng chuckled.

“Used to be. But I think my skills are rusty now.”

The two men laughed. Dr Choi did a high five with Taeng before leaving the room. But Taeng called out to him.

“Don’t give up, Choi.”

Dr Choi popped his head in again.

“Don’t ever give up on that woman you love. A woman deserves to be loved the way she wants it to be. If she’s going to play hard with you, just remain cool. Use your heart to touch her; to nudge her. A lady’s heart is soft when it comes to love. She will accept you one day.”

Dr Choi pondered on Taeng’s words. He made sense. He was surprised at Taeng’s advice. He was really a ladies’ man.

“No wonder the girls were attracted to this guy. He’s one smooth person.”

Dr Choi acknowledged Kim Taeng’s charming side. 

*

Tiffany couldn’t concentrate on her work. Her mind was filled with a certain someone and it was driving her crazy.

“Why am I thinking of him now?!”

Tiffany bit on her pen’s cap. She was getting agitated with herself.

“What’s wrong with you?”

Amber happened to notice Tiffany and was amused at how irritated Tiffany was with herself. 

“What’s the deal?”

Tiffany turned to look at Amber quickly. 

“You saw me, huh?”

“Your poor pen cover has been disfigured by your teeth.”

Tiffany was embarrassed when she realized her flatten pen cover.

“Oh geez.”

“What’s wrong with you, Tiffany?”

“I’m perplexed.”

“Oh?”

“Amber, my heart is confused.”

“Ah, the matters of the heart. That’s a , really.”

Tiffany bit her lower lip.

“So why? You don’t like him?”

“I like him.”

“Then what’s wrong?”

“I just feel like I don’t deserve him.”

Amber was staring hard at Tiffany.

“What the hell are you talking about? Is he married?”

“No, he’s single.”

Amber narrowed her eyes at Tiffany.

“Mr Biker Boy?”

“What Biker Boy?”

“The guy who always picked you up from work on his bike, you like him don’t you?”

“YOU SAW HIM?!”
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter