prologue

The Torn One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Taeng, the only son of a millionaire couple, always has his own style of doing things. He took over as the CEO of his father’s company and has been a Casanova ever since. Many of his female employees in his family has either slept with him or had one thing or two with the resident Casanova. 

But Taeng has always been in love with just one person – Tiffany Hwang, the Californian babe who caught his eye ever since they studied in the same university years ago. However his parents have other plans. They have picked out their respective daughter-in-law and Taeng has to marry her no matter what.

Being a Casanova, Taeng couldn’t really think much and just agreed to the marriage. For some reason, Taeng agreed because his wife to be is a real beauty. But he’s determined to continue his love affair with his uni-mate sweetheart, Tiffany.

“You’re going to be married to some other woman?”

“My heart’s with you, Fany. You know that.”

Taeng didn’t plan to ruin things between him and Tiffany. But the girl was sceptical.

“What if you fell in love with her?”

“Why should I be?”

“You cannot reject beauties.”

“I’ll still return back to you, don’t I?”

“I don’t know, Taeng. Do you think you can still love me when you’re married with someone else?”

Taeng rolled his eyes and he got up from his seat. He walked over to Tiffany and wrapped his arms around her waist; pulling her nearer.

“I promise you, I’ll never leave you no matter what.”

“Taeng, you’re going to be a married man.”

“So? Everyone knows I’m a Casanova. She should know too.”

“You’re really proud of that, don’t you?”

Taeng smirked smugly. 

“Nobody can resist Kim Taeng.”

He was so confident of that.

*

Taeng sat on the sofa comfortably with his legs crossed; looking all handsome and suave. His beautiful bride was just looking at him; not knowing how to react. Taeng could only offer a sneering grin.

“Douglas, Jessica has grown up beautifully. Is this the reason why you have been hiding her from the limelight?”

Taeng’s father in law to be is one of the most dominant businessmen in the entertainment world. Apparently Jessica’s a model. How did she fell off from his radar? He had at least “taken care” of all the models in Korea. 

“Jessica was studying and hid away from the entertainment scene. Now that she’s back, everyone starts to recognise that she’s my daughter.”

Taeng nodded his head as he listened to the adults’ conversations. He’s an adult but Taeng was compelled to remain quiet.

“Dongyoo, is this Taeng?”

Taeng stood up and bowed respectfully. Mr Jung was impressed.

“Yes, this is my son.”

“He looks like his mother.”

“That’s why he’s good looking.”

Taeng managed a quick smile and took a brief glance at Jessica. The girl was smitten with him; he knew. He knew that shy glance and that flushing cheeks she had on her – Taeng knew she has fallen.

“Well, let’s get on with the wedding then.”

“Yup, we should marry these two off quickly.”

Taeng simply agreed and the girl didn’t have much chance to reject either. She was completely smitten with Kim Taeng 
for sure.

*

The wedding went well. Tiffany flew back to US on the day Taeng got married. Although she loves him but Tiffany wasn’t too sure if she was ready to face him as a married man. But Taeng wasn’t worried. Tiffany would return some day.

Taeng walked around with his arm around his shy bride; pulling her closer to him. The poor girl was blushing throughout the wedding. Taeng was amused.

“Kim Taeng, I never thought I would see you in that tuxedo getting married to someone.”

Kwon Yul, Taeng’s best buddy since they were infants, was teasing him. The two guys were very much alike except for Yul is more sensitive than Taeng. He’s seeing someone steadily for 3 years now; he wasn’t a Casanova.

“When will be your turn, buddy?”

“It will be soon, I guess. My parents and her parents are talking about it already.”

“Congratulations, Mr Kim. You’re looking handsome there.”

Yul’s girlfriend, Sunny was stretching her hand out to congratulate him. He smiled widely before taking her hand tightly. 

“This is my wife, Jessica Jung.”

“Hi, I’m Sunny.”

“Hi Sunny, thank you for coming to our wedding.”

“My boyfriend is his best friend. I have to tag along, wont I?”

The group laughed and Jessica was taking note of Taeng’s friends as they went around; being introduced to them.

“Wow, your wife is so pretty.”

“Oh my god, you lucky bastard!”

“She’s such a beauty!”

Taeng was smiling proudly. He was proud of his wife that night.

*

Months after marriage went well. Taeng was nice to his wife. He treated her well but only one thing was still undone – consummate. The couple has been sleeping on separate beds. Taeng hardly touched his wife and Jessica was feeling weird about it.

“Hubby, are you sleeping soon?”

“Yes I am, I have work tomorrow.”

“Oh okay.”

Being a good wife, Jessica didn’t want to exert pressure on him. Maybe he was still shy. After all, they hardly knew each other. Jessica decided to go slow with her new husband. He didn’t treat her too badly so she felt that she could wait.

One day, Jessica was making lunch when she realized she has made too much for her own consumption. She looked at the time and wondered if her husband has eaten yet. She decided to bring some over to his office. 

She hasn’t stepped into his office. 

“Maybe I should bring some to him and at the same time, I can take a look at his working place.”

Jessica was smiling widely as she packed the food happily into the container. She didn’t give him a call as she wanted to give him a surprise. She drove her BMW convertible which her parents have presented to her as a wedding gift. 

She made a grand appearance. Everyone knew who she was. They were a little stunned especially his secretary.

“You’re Mrs Kim, right?”

“Yes I am. Is my husband inside?”

“Yes he is but he’s busy at the moment.”

“Oh, it’s okay. I’ll wait here then.”

“Okay, I will let him know you’re here.”

His secretary was about to go into his room when his room door opened and Taeng was wrapping his arm around a lady. He was kissing her cheeks when he suddenly realized someone was watching him.

“Sica?!”

Jessica was staring at her husband intently. Tears soon filled her eyes as she put his packed lunch on the table and ran off in tears. But Taeng didn’t bother to run after her. He just turned to his secretary.

“Why didn’t you tell me my wife’s here?!”

“I was about to when you walked out of the room with her.”

“Aish. I have a lot of explanation to do tonight.”

But Taeng didn’t attempt to run after her at all.

*

“Jessica?”

Taeng threw his briefcase onto the sofa and started moving from one room to another. He was certain Jessica was home; he saw her car outside.

“Jessica?”

He kept calling out to her again and again. Taeng has never been in this kind of situation where he needed to explain his actions. Tiffany wouldn’t care if he slept with some many other women out there. But Jessica was different. She didn’t know.

He finally found her hiding in their bedroom; at the corner of the bed with her eyes completely swollen.

“Sigh, Jessica what are you doing there?”

His wife didn’t move an inch.

“Come and sit here, will you?”

Taeng didn’t appear remorseful. He was indifferent; like as though he didn’t do anything wrong. 

“How can you appear so calm and unfeeling?”

“What?”

“Who’s that woman?”

Taeng ruffled his hair in a mess before slumping against the sofa. 

“This is me, Jessica. This is Kim Taeng, the Casanova. I thought you knew.”

“What?”

“You should know my style. I’m very popular. Isn’t that the reason why you married me?”

“I beg your pardon?”

Taeng was losing patience. He never had to explain his actions to a woman before but Jessica was completely different. She seemed appalled by him.

“How could you not know me?”

“Well, first of all, I didn’t live here. I was from States.”

“What? You graduated from States?”

“Yes, and how do I expect to know you when we live miles across the Pacific Sea?”

Taeng was eyeing his wife; he was never been stuck in such situation before.

“Okay, then let me tell you. I’m a Casanova. I have many women around me.”

“Then what am I in your heart?”

“You’re my legal wife.”

“So I’m just your wife in name?”

“Yes, and I have a sweetheart. Her name is Tiffany.”

“Why didn’t you tell me all this before we got married? How selfish can you be?”

“What?”

“What type of guy are you?”

Taeng lost his temper and stood up. 

“I’m just your legal husband. We are just husband and wife in name. I love Tiffany and I will never love you, trust me!”

Taeng pointed his finger at Jessica before leaving his wife cold and bereft. Jessica couldn’t believe the predicament she landed herself in. She’s never going to be her husband’s only woman in his life. She would have to share him with so many others.

She was defeated for the very first time in her life.

*

“Are you coming home?”

Jessica asked but Taeng didn’t reply. He was giving her the cold shoulder for the last four months since the last argument. She just learnt another thing about her husband – he’s a grudge bearer.

He just left the house without even looking at his wife. He was rude just like that but Jessica tolerated him. She chose to marry him. Her parents did give her other choices before but she chose him because she has fallen in love with him at the first glance. 

She thought she was the luckiest woman on Earth to have met such good looking and capable husband; not knowing the devil disguise behind that handsome smile.

“Are you alright?”

Jessica’s only comfort was Sunny. Yul knew his best buddy’s character and he genuinely thought Taeng would change after marriage. Who would have thought otherwise?

“Is he always like this?”

“Yeah, he grew up as a brat. His parents never yelled or scolded him before.”

“So he naturally got things his way?”

“You can say that.”

“Why isn’t he like Yul?”

“Yul is different. He’s more humble.”

Jessica couldn’t say much. She didn’t get to know Taeng better so she had no right to judge him now. She fell for him based on his looks; not his character.

She could only blame herself.

*

“Kim Taeng!”

“Yo, buddy!”

“You jerk!”

Yul punched Taeng across his face. 

“How could you do that to Jessica?”

Taeng rolled his eyes as he wiped the blood away. This was the first time he saw Yul flaring up at him.

“You were never like this when I had clings with other girls.”

“You were not married then. But now, you belong to someone!”

“Oh please, I never love Jessica anyway.”

“Then why did you marry her?!”

“My parents asked me to.”

“You’re ing bastard, you know that?!”

“I know so can you please take your leave? I have no mood to argue with you.”

Yul left immediately and Taeng was pissed off. He was mad at Jessica for complaining about him to his best buddy. 

“Jessica Jung, who do you think you are?!”

Taeng planned to do something tonight.

*

SLAP! PUNCH! 

“This will teach you a lesson not to complain about me to anyone else!”

Taeng taught Jessica a lesson. He hit her and the poor woman was crying her eyes out. She didn’t know her husband is capable of violence.

“I’m not going to sleep here anymore. Don’t you ever look for me or tell Yul what I did to you! If not, I might hurt your family!”

Jessica was threatened and she was terrified. She begged Taeng to leave her family alone. It was her fault and Taeng smirked. 

“Good, now listen. I’ll not sleep here during the weekdays. I’ll return on weekends. Don’t need to cook for me. I can handle myself.”

With that, Taeng left the house. Jessica couldn’t do anything much. She just had to swallow that in. 

She didn’t have much choice.

*

Tiffany finally returned after half a year. She didn’t look for Taeng; in fact she moved out of her old apartment and lived nearer to her office. She wasn’t too sure if she wanted to meet Taeng again.

No doubt, she still loves him but she just couldn’t be the third party in his marriage. So she avoided him for the last 6 months; hoping that he would have forgotten about her at least.

Tiffany changed her job and worked as a Admin Clerk instead. She was working for a foreign company and being fluent in English, Tiffany was accepted immediately.

“Okay, you’ll be working with Jessica.”

Her manager, Brian Joo was telling her everything that she should know. Her colleague is another girl who happens to be speaking fluent English too.

“Hi!”

Tiffany was upbeat and loud unlike Jessica. She was rather quiet and always looked upset for some reason.

“Hello.”

“Tiffany.”

“Jessica.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“Same here.”

Jessica was boring. She would only give Tiffany a one-word answer. She didn’t seem eager to talk a lot so Tiffany decided to leave her alone. But she was quick to make acquaintances with the other colleagues.

“What’s with her?”

Tiffany asked one day. She has been working there for a week and Jessica was still the same zombie she knew since day 1.

“Jessica is going through a difficult period now.”

Nicole, one of the colleagues, offered to explain.

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“She married a jerk.”

Amber, a tomboyish looking girl, spoke up instantly.

“Oh, poor her.”

“Yeah, we try to understand her as much as we can.”

“Okay, I’ll try to understand too.”

“That’ll be great.”

Tiffany didn’t think much about it anymore after learning the truth. She never learn Jessica’s husband’s name. If she knew, it would be complicated.

*

“TIFFANY!”

Tiffany was stunned when she recognized that voice. How the hell did he find her? She turned around to find Kim Taeng standing right behind her. He was furious.

“Taeng?”

“What took you so long and why did you move out without telling me? Why did you quit your job?”

Taeng was holding on tightly to Tiffany’s arms. It hurt her. 

“Let go of me!”

“I’ve waited for you for so long!”

“Aren’t you married?”

“So?”

“You’re someone’s husband. I don’t want to be the vixen in this relationship.”

“But you know I love you so much, right?”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. She knew Taeng loves her.

“Your definition of love is rather vague. It’s always in the grey area no matter how I look at it.”

“What do you mean by that?!”

“Taeng, if you love someone, you will stay with that person; be faithful and not fooling around with other women.”

Taeng was scoffing away. Tiffany hated it when he does that. 

“Stop doing that.”

“Women are just men’s little playthings, aren’t they?”

“So where’s the love that you’re talking about?”

“Tiffany, what I feel for you is different from what I feel for the other women.”

“Even your wife is different?”
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter