Customary Coffee and Unheard Words

The Same Engagement Ring

Baekhyun/Jongin-centric this time, sorry not sorry, Xiuchanlu lovers. (And to Jongdae, who hasn’t been mentioned for months ^^;)

Guys, I’m wondering what ships you like. It’s your choice, darlings, but please comment with your ship of choice (no baekyeol or xiuchen, please).

And also, should I have several alternate endings for all the ships? It’s fine with me if it’s fine with you ^^

 


 

Chapter 7

 

“I love you.”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“What’d you say?”

 

“Go back to sleep, Baek.”

 

Baekhyun frowned and rolled over towards Jongin, pouting. “Really? C’mon, Jonggie.”

 

“I said it’s nothing, babe,” Jongin murmured absentmindedly.

 

Baekhyun sighed. “Fine.”

 


 

Later that day, Baekhyun seemed to have forgotten all about it, and for that, Jongin was grateful. He wasn’t about to open up another can of worms like that, and certainly not on the day before Baekhyun’s birthday.

 

At the end of the day, a tired-out Baekhyun snuggled into Jongin’s arms, senses dulled and completely exhausted. Dutifully and tenderly, Jongin carried him up the flight of stairs and into the bedroom, where Baekhyun slumped over, quietly snoring.

 

Jongin smiled at the sweet sight and shook his head, lying down beside his sweetheart and dozing off himself.

 

“Happy birthday, love.”

 

“Did you say something?” Baekhyun rubbed his eyes sleepily and adorably, and Jongin forgot all he was going to say.

 

“It’s nothing, Baek. You should get some rest.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Jongin knew there was something dangerous lurking within that one-word answer, yet he was too mesmerized- and excited- to dissect it. He waited until Baekhyun’s breathing slowed down, and then slipped downstairs to get his present ready.

 


 

As soon as the soft sound of pattering footsteps grew louder, Jongin quickly covered up his work and slid into a chair, picking up a newspaper and pretending to read it, though his eyes certainly were skimming too quickly over the words. Baekhyun soon appeared at the foot of stairs, dragging himself over to the coffee maker with an expression deadlier than raw bacon (which Jongin hoped he was not going to get).

 

There was a silence as Baekhyun clanked around with the coffee and Jongin stared at the space in between ‘at’ and ‘the’ on his newspaper, his mind in a faraway place.

 

“I’m mad at you.”

 

Instantly, Jongin’s mind was at attention as his newspaper fluttered to the ground, having slipped through his shock-numbed fingers milliseconds ago.

 

“What? Why are you mad?”

 

“You’re keeping something from me, aren’t you?” There was an accusatory tone in Baekhyun’s slightly sleepy words, and Jongin shook his head.

 

“You kept your words from me last night and I want to hear them!”

 

“What?” Jongin fought back the urge to laugh. At least he didn’t suspect anything about the present.

 

“You heard me, Kim Jongin. Open your mouth and say what you said last night!”

 

“Well…” Jongin pondered. “What about breakfast first?”

 

Baekhyun scowled. “Are you cheating on me?”

 

“What?” Jongin’s eyes grew as round as the packets of instant coffee that Baekhyun was ripping open furiously.

 

“It says in chapter forty-seven of ‘How to Make Your Man Fall for You,’” Baekhyun cleared his throat, “‘If your man is constantly cutting his words short or taking his words back, there is a sixty percent chance of him cheating on you.’ There. See?”

 

This time, Jongin did burst into laughter. “Baekhyunnie, that book also says that your husband should never eat bacon because he would become fat.”

 

“Are you saying I’m fat?” Baekhyun gasped, and Jongin quickly retreated.

 

“No, no! I’m just saying, that book should not be trusted. Now, let’s just eat breakfast first.” So I can give you your present soon. I hope you’ll like it.

 

Baekhyun grumbled, grudgingly beckoning Jongin to sit at the table. As Jongin cautiously slid back the chair and took a seat, Baekhyun tossed a plate onto the table, some of the eggs drooping lazily off of the table. Jongin carefully poked the egg whites back and winced as he saw the bacon, which was about as crispy as Baekhyun’s behaviour. Well… at least it wasn’t raw.

 

Baekhyun sauntered fiercely over again, setting the coffee down forcefully and maneuvering back with a toss of his head. Sighing, Jongin watched as the dark, bitter liquid that resembled Baekhyun’s mood flopped back and forth in the cup, forcing a few drops over the edge every time.

 

He was distracted from his coffee-watching by Baekhyun sliding his own plate over, slipping into the other chair and refusing to meet Jongin’s gaze.

 

Breakfast was silent, aside from the painful-sounding crunches of bacon that Jongin emitted once in a while. Baekhyun glanced over, looking triumphant every time.

 

Jongin sighed, trying to the pieces of bacon from between his teeth. Baekhyun could be such a cruel boyfriend. If so, did that make Jongin a masochist? Well, he hoped not.

 


 

“Baekie, I have a surprise for you,” Jongin declared after he’d demolished his interesting breakfast. He dropped the plates into the sink and pouted at his boyfriend.

 

Baekhyun arched an eyebrow. “Really, now?”

 

“Yes,” Jongin nearly whined in excitement, and Baekhyun groaned.

 

“You old dog. Fine, I’m coming. Go do your thing.”

 

Jongin rushed over to behind the couch, smiling as he heard an amused snort from Baekhyun.

 

“What a creative hiding spot.”

 

“Only the best for my Baekie,” Jongin proclaimed, drawing out a bundle and handing it to Baekhyun.

 

“Of course, newspaper is the choicest wrapping paper of the modern era,” Baekhyun drawled, and Jongin shook his head impatiently.

 

“Go on, open it!”

 

“I am,” Baekhyun whined, ripping off a layer of newspaper to reveal…

 

Another layer of newspaper.

 

Baekhyun whipped around to glare at Jongin. “Oh, you did not.”

 

“But I did,” Jongin hissed gleefully, ducking to avoid Baekhyun’s wrath. “Go on, you have fifty-seven more layers to go through.”

 

Baekhyun sighed, though he couldn’t keep a grin from spreading across his face. Typical Jongin. As he tore through the layers, he took it upon himself to interrogate his boyfriend.

 

“So, Jonginnie, what did you say last night?”

 

“I said happy birthday, but you were so adorable that I forgot what I was going to say.” At least that part was true.

 

Baekhyun pondered it as he ripped through more newspaper. “Okay.”

 

“Am I forgiven?”

 

“...Yes.”

 

“Yeyyy!”

 

There was a comfortable silence in which Jongin nuzzled Baekhyun against his chest, resting his own head on Baekhyun’s. It was at times like these when Jongin enjoyed being taller than Baekhyun.

 

“Hey, I’m sorry for giving you burnt bacon. And eggs with laxatives.”

 

“What?”

 

“I’m kidding!” Baekhyun burst into a wonderfully bell-like fit of giggles.

 

Jongin smiled warmly and wrapped Baekhyun in his embrace. “Hey, you’re on the last layer.”

 

Baekhyun looked down at the remaining parcel, which could fit comfortably in the palm of his hand. “So I am- oh my goodness.” Jongin grinned as Baekhyun’s eyed widened with realization.

 

Gently, Jongin took the small parcel and carefully took apart the last layer, revealing a dark blue velvet box. Getting down on his pajama-covered knees, he opened the box, uncovering a glittering silver ring, a row of three tiny but sparkling diamonds set in the centre.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, I’ve loved you for a long time now. I know you’ve wanted to get married so badly and I’ve always been so unsupportive but right now,” Jongin breathed, “it’s real and I love you, so much. Give me your hand in marriage, Baekie and I’ll take care of you forever. Will you marry me?”

 

“Of course I will, stupid!” Trembling, Baekhyun held out his hand, letting Jongin slip the cold yet satisfying ring onto it. As soon as he was done, Baekhyun rushed at him and captured him an a hug, burying his face into Jongin’s chest.

 

“You are so cheesy, Kim Jongin.”

 


 

“I know,” Jongin whispered to himself up in the heavens, finishing his flashback. As he bowed his head, wanting to go back to the day when he was metaphorically but not physically in the clouds. “I know.” His eyes brimmed over with hot liquid and he let out a quiet sob.

 

The rivulets of tears slipped into nothingness as Jongin stared longingly down into the world of the living, gently running his fingers over the thin, glass-like separator. As his body lay six feet under on earth, his spirit was in turmoil up in the heavens.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, I love you. Happy birthday.”

 


 

So it’s Baekhyun’s ‘birthday’. I know it’s actually half a year away, but I thought you guys would love some short Kaibaek. If you don’t understand, Jongin is revisiting his memories of Baekhyun’s birthday a year ago while he watches Baekhyun on the morning of his real birthday in present (no pun intended) time. Of course, the next chapter will be Baekhyun’s birthday on earth. Remember to comment with your favourite ship before I come out with the next chapter, which could decide the future of all ships ;)