Don't Be Angry With Me

The Same Engagement Ring

Chapter 4

“Luhannie-hyung~”

 

“...”

 

“Hannie~”

 

“...”

 

“...Luhan-senpai notice me?”

 

“Oh, shut up, Park Chanyeol,” Luhan grumbled, swatting at his best friend’s face. Chanyeol pouted.

 

“Why are you ignoring me?”

 

“You know perfectly why,” Luhan snapped, “and you should go apologize to Minseok right now.”

 

“He started it!”

 

“Are you still a child? Now tell me what you did, why you did it and then apologize to the person you did it to.”

 

Chanyeol sighed childishly. “I said hurtful things to Minseok-hyung and was disrespectful to him. And I did it because I was jealous.” He stood up to go apologize, but was stopped by Luhan, who had a curious look on his face.

 

“Jealous because…”

 

Chanyeol was stuck. There was no way he could admit that they were arguing over Luhan without revealing his own feelings. “Uhm… because…”

 

“I won’t be angry, Channie,” Luhan promised, smiling up at a conflicted Chanyeol. “Well, at least I won’t be angrier than I already am.”

 

“Um… I was jealous…” Chanyeol fidgeted. “Of his...soccer skills!” The lie flowed smoothly out of his mouth.

 

Luhan raised an eyebrow. “Really? But you were never interested in soccer.”

 

A devious plan formulated in Chanyeol’s head. “Well… he told me that you played soccer with him all the time and that you were his best friend and you were ignoring me so I got jealous.” The last part, at least, was true.

 

Luhan blinked once, twice. And then he burst into laughter.

 

Chanyeol pouted as Luhan stopped, grinning with mirth. “That’s all?”

 

“Whaddya mean, ‘that’s all’?” Chanyeol whined, and Luhan smiled gently.

 

“You’re right, Channie. I’m sorry for ignoring you. Maybe I’ll teach you soccer sometimes. Okay?”

 

“Okay!” Chanyeol chirped deeply, mentally fist-pumping. Spending more time with Luhan (a sweaty, hot Luhan, mind you~ ooh la la~) and also getting to get back at Minseok? Sweetest deal ever!

 

“But you still have to apologize to Minseok.”

 

Dammit.

 


 

Baekhyun sighed as he hauled himself out of the car. It was his first day back at work after Jongin’s death, and he was in no mood to go back there.

 

But it would distract him, so it was all worth it.

 

As he strode into the office, he could just feel the stares of his fellow workers burning into his back. And so he held his head higher.

 

As he slid into his seat, he sighed. He didn’t want to see Jongin’s empty cubicle beside his.

 

To be fair, it wasn’t really empty. Sure, his boss had taken the half-finished files and folders away, but the personal items remained untouched. Baekhyun would probably bring them home today.

 

He slapped open his folder with unneeded force, causing a few other workers around him to wince.

 

Let’s see… The statistics of the previous firm were erased due to the unreliable opinions of the workers. Of these workers, there were two who had been diagnosed with a mental disorder, five who were biased due to their relationship to the firm and seven who had been-

 

“Baekhyun-ssi!”

 

Baekhyun’s head snapped up to stare blankly at the secretary, who was standing beside-

 

Oh.

 

Oh, no.

 

“Baekhyun-ssi, Jongdae-ssi will be working beside you. I’ve heard of your new relationship, and so I entrust you with the job of making sure your fiance has no trouble. Thank you!”

 

Baekhyun saw the other workers’ eyes widen at the words ‘new relationship’ and ‘fiance’, and inwardly groaned.

 

Jongdae waved hesitantly and walked over to Jongin’s cubicle, sitting in Jongin’s chair, putting his stuff on Jongin’s desk-

 

Baekhyun felt something inside of him snap and he simply slumped in this seat.

 

Jongdae was trying to replace Jongin.

 


 

“Chanyeol, don’t you have something to say to Minseok-hyung?” Luhan smiled expectantly at Chanyeol, who sighed and turned to a surprised Minseok.

 

“I’m sorry, Minseok-hyung.”

 

“For what?” Luhan coaxed, and Chanyeol inwardly groaned.

 

“I’m sorry for saying mean things to you because I was jealous of your soccer skills.”

 

Minseok blinked, confused. What?

 

“Good boy, Channie,” Luhan cooed. “Now run along.”

 

Chanyeol scampered away and Minseok turned to do the same thing, but Luhan grabbed his arm.

 

“Seokkie, I need to talk to you.”

 

Minseok inclined his head, spinning back around. “Yes?”

 

“Please don’t tease Chanyeol about his non-existent soccer skills.”

 

Minseok blinked a few more times. Chanyeol…that bastard, making up a story like this…!

 

“He’s really sensitive,” Luhan begged. “He might cry.”

 

That’s going a bit overboard, Minseok thought, rolling his eyes inwardly. On the outside, he smiled regretfully at Luhan.

 

“I’m sorry, Hannie. I was just trying to have a bit of fun with him. I won’t do it again, I pinkie promise.”

 

Luhan laughed. “You sound like a five year old.”

 

“Hannnnnnie.”

 

“You still sound like a five year old.”

 

Minseok stuck his tongue out at Luhan. “Blehhhh.”

 

“Want some ice cream, little boy?” Luhan teased, and Minseok grinned thoughtfully.

 

“Actually, yes, ice cream would be great.”

 

“Strawberry or butterscotch flavoured?”

 

“Luhan flavoured.”

 

“Aish.”

 

Unbeknownst to both of them, Chanyeol sat in the shadows, his eyes gleaming with jealousy.

 

I’ll have Luhan someday, Minseok. I swear it on my life!

 


 

“Baekhyun? Are you alright?” Jongdae peered over at his stone-faced fiance, eyes filled with concern.

 

“I’m perfectly fine.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“I’m very sure.”

 

The cubicles around them had gone silent, the office workers sneaking glances at the two men.

 

“Baekhyun, if you want to go home, I can-”

 

Damn it, Kim Jongdae!” Baekhyun snapped, pushing back his chair, and everyone flinched, watching carefully as Baekhyun stormed out of the office.

 

Jongdae groaned and pushed back his chair, jumping to his feet and running after his fiance.

 

What a lovely first day at work.