Quarter to Four

The Same Engagement Ring

Chapter 13

 

“Happy one week anniversary, I guess,” Luhan laughed, and Minseok smiled dreamily.

 

“Yeah. This is a pretty great restaurant.”

 

“I got some miso soup. I know how you love this stuff.” Luhan raised a spoon to Minseok’s mouth. “Open up.”

 

Minseok happily accepted the spoonful of soup from his boyfriend and grinned at him afterwards.

 

“Thanks. My turn.” Carefully picking up a piece of meat with his chopsticks, he held it to Luhan’s mouth. “Say ahh.”

 

Luhan obeyed, blushing furiously. Moments later, his sweet pink flush turned darker.

 

“It’s so spicy!”

 

Minseok cracked up. “I thought you liked spicy food!”

 

“This takes it to new extremes,” Luhan grumbled adorably, taking a long sip of water.

 

“You are honestly so cute,” sighed Minseok, and Luhan nearly spit out his water, scandalized.

 

“Are you trying to kill me?” He puffed out his cheeks, and his companion laughed.

 

“I’m pretty sure you’re the one smothering me with aegyo here.”

 

“Heyyy.”

 

“It’s true.”

 

Luhan pouted. “Is not.”

 

“Is too.”

 

“Is not.”

 

“Is too.”

 

“Is not.”

 

“Is not.”

 

 

 

“Is too- wait, Kim Minseok!”

 

Minseok smiled. “Too cute for your own good.”


 


 

 

“Kyungsoo,” whined Chanyeol, staring at his phone intensely. I can’t decide whether to call him or not… Am I being too clingy? He did run away…

 

Ugh. Whatever. His problem.

 

Right?

 

“You’re so clingy, Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo had said one day, so firmly that Chanyeol had even backed off a little. But then again, who knew? Maybe that was the way that Kyungsoo showed affection.

 

It was around a quarter to four; Chanyeol had wasted the past five hours eating, watching dramas, being angry over Xiuhan and worrying about Kyungsoo simultaneously.

 

His phone rang loudly and suddenly, causing him to curse and drop it into the bowl of chips. Groaning, he wiped the grease hurriedly off with his shirt before answering it.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Chanyeollie, hi! It’s Luhan.”

 

He brightened up slightly. “Hey, Hannie!”

 

“Just wanna let you know that we’ll be home tomorrow instead; I’m a bit sick.”

 

Chanyeol’s mood immediately dropped, and a need surfaced to make his boyfriend jealous.

 

“Oh, that’s, uh, not a problem, I was planning to stay at Kyungsoo’s house anyways.” It wasn’t a lie; he’d wanted to make sure his friend was alright.

 

“That’s great!” Chanyeol could hear the smile in Luhan’s voice. “I only hope that your Kyungsoo can cook as well as I can.”

 

“We’ll probably go eat at Vera’s instead,” Chanyeol mentioned, purposefully naming the restaurant that was famous for its romance and two-person tables.

 

“Wow, lucky you! Listen, I can’t stay for much longer.”

 

“Okay. Love you.” At least he could revel in that.

 

For some reason, Luhan’s voice decreased in volume, becoming almost a whisper.

 

“Love you too, sweetie.” His voice returned to normal again. “Have fun with Kyungsoo!”

 

Chanyeol hung up, slightly heavy-hearted. Well, I’d better call Kyungsoo now that I’m staying over at his place. Hope he doesn’t mind picking me up, since I forgot the password to the stupid garage.

 

“Hello, Kyungsoo?”

 

The voice that responded was too soft to be heard, yet there was a distinguishable sob.

 

“Kyungsoo? Are you okay?” Chanyeol’s anxiety grew tenfold, and he automatically slipped his jacket on, heading to the doorway. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Ch...yeol…”

 

“Yeah, it’s me. What’s wrong?”

 

“‘M… fine…”

 

“No, you’re not. Where are you?”

 

“...Graveyard.”

 

“What?” Chanyeol paused in realization. “Did someone pass away? Is that why you left last night? Oh, Kyung-”

 

“N-no… not… not…”

 

“Not what? Okay, I’m coming to find you. Whose grave are you-” Something clicked into place. “...Jongin’s?”

 

“...Hmm…”

 

“Okay, I’m coming.” Chanyeol hurriedly shoved his shoes on and rushed outside, wincing at the invasion of sunlight but continuing on.

 

It was a quarter to 4.


 

On his way home from work, Baekhyun found himself slowing down by the flower shop, his eyes sliding to the soft pink and purple sweetpeas dotting the windowsill.

 

Well, why not.

 

Fifteen minutes later, he walked out with a bouquet of fresh sweetpeas and rosy carnations, his cheeks as pink as the bouquet. A warmth ran through his veins as he gently set down the flowers on the seat beside him and drove off with only one destination in mind: the graveyard.


 



 

“I told you that you should’ve put on a sweater after swimming, but no, you decided to walk out on a winter night with a t-shirt on,” Minseok scolded lightly, holding a spoonful of soup to Luhan’s mouth.

 

The temporary ‘patient’, eyes twinkling, looked up at his benefactor. “Is this as spicy as yesterday’s soup?”

 

“No, silly,” Minseok chuckled, ruffling his hair. “Open up.”

 

After a while, Minseok spoke up again. “So how’s Chanyeol?”

 

“Great.” Luhan’s eyes shone again. “I have a feeling that Kyungsoo’s perfect for him.”

 

And I’m glad. I’m so glad. For both of them.

 

 

 


 

 

“And who is this?” Baekhyun queried upon arrival at the tombstone, finding a figure sitting nearby. “Are you one of Jongin’s friends?”

 

“...I was,” the person responded raspily, looking up as his pale, dry lips stretched into a thin line. “And of course, you were so much more, weren’t you, Baekhyun?”

 

Baekhyun’s grip on the bouquet tightened. “...Kyungsoo.”


 



 

AN: Cliffhanger ;)