Explanations and Q&A

The Same Engagement Ring

 

Q&A and Explanation

 

I’m doing this to move on from this story because I just can’t let it go ;-;

 

Okay! So I’ve separated this into three sections :

 

  1. Metaphors n’ stuff (purple section) in which I explain the metaphors and deeper meanings (not that there are that many) in the story.

  2. Q&A (blue section), where I answer some of the questions that you asked.

  3. Polls (y’know, the section with the polls), which is pretty self-explanatory.

 

Have fun!
 

Metaphors n’ stuff

 

Warning: I might miss a few. ^^;

 

I’m sure that by now, you’ve familiarized yourself with the use of flowers and meanings in the story. Just before the ‘revealing chapter’, where, y’know, Kyungsoo yells at Baekhyun about Jongin and stuff, it says Baekhyun’s bringing a bouquet of sweetpeas and pink carnations. Sweetpeas mean like goodbye and thank you, while pink carnations mean ‘I’ll never forget you’. So Baek’s ready to move on, right? Pretty simple.

 

BUT THEN AT THE END *dramatic gasp*, Kyungsoo stomps on the flowers. Kyungsoo can’t bring himself to say goodbye or thank you to Jongin, because he can’t forget him and he can’t move on. He’s also trying to make Baekhyun feel really angry at Jongin and thus, not move on.

 

BUT THEN AT THE VERY END IN CHP. 15 *more awkward gasp*, Kyungsoo brings brand-new flowers back! He helped both himself and Baekhyun move on using a fresh start- goodbye, thank you and i’ll never forget you.

 

One message is that usually, it’s not only one person at fault, but many. You can’t play the blame game so easily.

 

Take, for example, Kyungsoo attacking Baekhyun verbally, which damaged both of their mental states. Some people are pretty pissed at Kyungsoo ^^; But it’s not his fault.

 

One of the main causes was Jongin, of course. Firstly, he unknowingly led Kyungsoo on and then accidentally broke his heart, leading to Kyungsoo being upset. Secondly, he hid a lot of things from Baekhyun, mostly from pure laziness or being awkward. You can see the foreshadowing in Chapter 7, where Jongin hesitates to even say ‘Happy Birthday’ or ‘I love you’ to Baekhyun. Bad Jonginnie :(

 

Another cause was Chanyeol, and to a lesser extent, Luhan. There was nothing much that Chanyeol could’ve done, but he was unobservant of Kyungsoo’s feelings and actions, and like Jongin, was too lazy and simply brushed him off sometimes in favour of revolving his entire world around Luhan.

 

Wait, no. Not that Jongin revolved his world around Luhan. That’s not what I- aghhhh, you guys are smart, you’ll get it.

 

Oh yeah, did you notice this one thing? In Chapter 15, when Baek’s all like ‘omg I’m so sorry’ to Jongdae and Kyungsoo, you’d assume (hopefully) that he was talking about feeling like he was ‘cheating’ on Jongin with Jongdae, and also being sorry for ‘causing’ Kyungsoo’s pain. BUT THEN YOU REALIZE that he was talking about moving to China!

 

And then you realize that at the end of the chapter, Kyungsoo gives him those flowers. But what do they mean? Goodbye, thank you and I’ll never forget you.

 

Because he was moving to China.


 

HURRIEDLY INSERTED FORESHADOWING (dun dun dun)!

 

Buttttttt! (Hehe butts) If we take the previous meaning of the flowers being ‘moving on’:

 

‘Baekhyun set the bouquet on the table and started searching for a vase, though Kyungsoo suspected that it was more to distract himself than to actually preserve the flowers.’

 

Vase = a way for Baekhyun to move on

Flowers = moving on

 

Instead of accepting that he has to move on and everything, Baekhyun’s just trying to distract himself to take away the pain. Eventually, through trying to distract himself, he finds the perfect way to move on (AKA the vase)- moving away from his old life, literally.

 

And meeting Minseok.

 

Xiubaek FTW?

 

Y’see, I didn’t even put a xiubaek tag. I’m terrible, I know. But it’s up to your own interpretation...unless you want a sequel *multiple creepy winky faces*


 

Q and A (also known as question and answer)!

 

Q: WTH why is it not Chenbaek? I thought that the main ship was Chenbaek…

 

A: I guess the story didn’t really center around Chenbaek (I know, I’m bad and I’m sorry), but a lot of it had to do with Chenbaek and them trying to make it work out.

 

Q: Then why would you still use the Chenbaek poster? That’s pretty misleading…

 

A: Sorry… But they are still kind of the main focus…

 

Q: WTH IS THAT ENDING; it and basically was you trying to end it quickly

 

A: TBH, when I started this out I wasn’t really sure of how it was going to end. I was like ‘Oh yeah, I’ll just end it with a generic fluffy little reunion scene’. But the more I wrote, the more unrealistic a fluffy ending seemed to me. Like, if you were forced to marry your dead fiance’s brother, would you just settle down and be all cuddly? Or if you found out that your lover and long-time crush was cheating on you with his suspicious roommate, would you be like ‘nahhh mate we’re totes cool’? NAHH I WOULD SET A DOUCHE ON FIRE.

 

Q: WHY IS IT XIUBAEK. WHY.

 

A: Technically it’s not Xiubaek if you don’t want it to be… After all, they only just met, and I don’t believe in love at first sight.