Christmas

Under One Roof

Christmas


 The whole family was up the whole night, excited as they packed for the vacation trip. Jieun had to admit, she was quite flustered and did not know what was going on. France was very pricey, considering the fact that a total of fiften people would be travelling. The last time she was on a plane was during her first year of middle school - before her family lost everything. 

 In a way, it felt fresh.

4AM.

Jieun stared at the wall clock and zipped up her bag. It was Christmas eve, but she didn't feel any new sensation. She dragged suitcase down the stairs and joined the rest of the family members who were half-awake. Se-Chan and Se-Jong's eyes were half closed, but still squirmed at the excitement of the trip. On the opposite side sat Jin-Yi and Yoon-Hyung who stared at Jieun contemptuously.

 The sky was still dark and there was only a dim light lighting the living room. It was snowing outside, filling up the window sills. Jieun sat awkwardly, still feeling like she didn't belong.  She had expected something like this, but when it actually hit her - the impact was bigger than she thought it would be. She bit her lips as she waited for someone else to walk down the stairs and save her.

 Before Jin-Yi could open to scorn Jieun, Chanyeol rushed down the stairs with his suitcase dragging along the stairs. Chanyeol greeted the twins,Jin-Yi and Yoon-hyung. Jin-Yi seemed to favor Chanyeol because the smile did not cease to disappear. Chanyeol noticed Jieun looking down at her knees and took a seat next to her. Jieun could smell cigarette smokes emanating from his body but she didn't bother to say anything.

 "Where are the adults?" Chanyeol asked, smiling.

"They're still getting ready," Yoon-hyung replied, his eyes fixed on his phone. "The flight's at nine, i don't know why we're expected to be out so early." he complained, sighing as he leaned back on the sofa. Everyone shrugged as yawns and snores filled the living room. But only Jieun and Chanyeol were awake, sitting right beside each other. Chanyeol glanced at her bruised hands and offered his gloves.

"It's fine," she refused. "I have my own." she slipped out the red ones that Myungsoo had given her. She slipped them on and breathed lightly, resting her hands on her knees. Chanyeol stared at the red gloves and raised an eyebrow. "Isn't that.. Myungsoo's gloves?" 

Jieun nodded silently. "He gave them to me." "Oh, i see.." Chanyeol forced a grin, staring at the red gloves. The adults had all gathered at the living room and the whole family set off into the large van, to their next destination.

 

 Jieun looked back, and saw the disappointment on Chanyeol's face.

 

. . .

 

 The long airport preparations had finished and the whole family walked through the connector bridge that would lead them to the entrance of the plane to France. Jieun pulled her suitcase behind her and stood behind the family crowd. She hadn't been to the airport since such a long time, so it was no wonder that everything was so fascinating to her. She loved the aura of the airport.

 The faded flight announcements overlapping each other, the constant airplanes taking off and landing through the glass walls, and the sight of global people rushing against each other with reunion and sometimes parting. She liked everything about it, and the fact that she could leave everything behind in this little country was even more heart-warming. It felt as if a big load had been lifted off her shoulders.

 She looked to the side and saw the plane taking off into the sky. 

 

 Soon the whole family had stopped infront of the entrance of the plane and got in a single line as the slim stewardesses checked their tickets and they boarded one by one. Jieun shrugged, waiting for her turn. Jin-yi was infront of her, so it wasn't as if she could ask her about anything. The whole family had proceeded inside the plane and Jieun stood at the entrance, eyeing the stewardesses as they smiled artificially and examined her ticket.

 The stewardess glanced at Jieun then back at the ticket, continuing for a few sets. "Miss, are you sure you have the right ticket?" She smiled, blinking twice. Jieun raised an eyebrow, staring down at her ticket. It had her name and the destination, and Business class clearly written on the side. Jieun nodded, trying to take her ticket off the stewardess who clutched it with such force that the ticket tore in half.

 The stewardess snorted and returned back to her artificial smile.

"I'm sorry Miss.. Lee Jieun," the stewardess nodded. "Your ticket is not refundable. please step aside as you cannot board the plane as of now." She bowed down and waited for Jieun to retreat to the side. "What? but you were the one who ripped my ticket." Jieun stared straight into the y Stewardess's face. Jieun could see that the stewardess was scowling inside, trying her best to hide it. 

 "Customer, you must follow the regulations-"

"Regulations my ," Jieun snorted. "You're the one who ripped my ticket, and now you're kicking me off?"

"Perhaps there is a different Lee Jieun on the plane, because it says business class-" "What if i am on the business class?" Jieun boomed. she crossed her arms and snatched the ticket off the stewardess, trying to enter the plane. as expected, she was blocked this time by the male stewardesses who were gossiping among themselves. 

 "What's taking her so long..?" Chanyeol murmured, charging the seat beside him with his duffel bag. He rose from his seat and skipped to the entrance, when he witnessed an unpleasant scene before his eyes. The stewardess was arguing relentlessly with Jieun and what was more surprising, she was actually fighting back. Chanyeol hadn't seen that side of her ever since their first encounter under the lamp post.

 "Customer please-"

"Are you looking down on her?" Chanyeol looked down at the stewardess who flinched. "Sir, please return to your seat the flight-" "I said, are you looking down on her because of her shabby appeareance?" Jieun frowned. She was actually insulted, but she knew that wasn't Chanyeol's original intention. The stewardess bit her lips, holding back what looked like a bunch of cuss words.

 "Why, can't a shabby person ride the business class?"

The stewardess was silent. He grabbed Jieun's wrist and pulled her inside the flight, directing her upstairs to the business class seats. Chanyeol grasped the ripped ticket firmly in his hands and seated Jieun on the empty seat that he charged with his bag. Chanyeol slipped out a tape from his backpack and stuck her ticket together, slipping it back into her hands. He smiled at her and rested his head back.

 "T..hank you Chanyeol."

"I knew it was going to happen."

"How..?"

Chanyeol sighed and stared at all the stewardesses that walked past, checking that everyone had their seatbelts on. "The stewardesses these days," he glared at the very one that argued with Jieun. "They don't even have the basic manners. they pour their money on polishing their faces and their bodies so that they fit into their little uniform and dig on the hot passengers on board." 

Jieun was silent. her festive spirit was ruined, thanks to the reality brainwashing her. The plane grew silent as two stewardesses, one male and one female bowed down to the passengers from the front curtained area. The announcement started and Jieun listened in, closing hers.

 Welcome passengers. Welcome aboard Korean air...

 

The captain continued to talk and soon the Korean air promotion video was playing on the screen before her, showing a bunch of friendly flight attendants who served their customers so benevolently. She sighed and stared at the video meaninglessly, clutching her seatbelt as the plane sped and rose into the sky.

 

 She forgot to mention, she had a fear of heights.

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

After a gruelsome eleven hours with flight-sickness and fear of heights, Jieun could see the beautiful lights of France light up the night sky. She peeked out the sky and watched as the plane slowly flew down with sudden drops inbetween. Jieun gasped, unintentionally holding onto Chanyeol's hand. She didn't want to hold onto his hand, but she didn't want to let go of the feeling of protection.

 "You have a fear of heights?" Chanyeol asked, grasping her hand tighter. She nodded, squealing in fear as the plane shook and dropped once more. Chanyeol laughed and tapped his fingers on Jieun's head lightly. She didn't know why, but that was so calming and it helped her fight through the drops. 

 

 The plane had landed at Paris Orly Airport, and everyone was busy as they slipped their luggages out of the overhead. There wasn't as many people riding on the business class, so there was no pushing and grunting like Jieun expected. Before Jieun got off the plane, she slipped out her red gloves and slipped it on her hands. Chanyeol, who opened his mouth to blabber in excitement shut up when he saw the red gloves on her hands.

 She glanced at the people at the airport and smiled at all the French people walking around, rejoying with their families. She looked ahead and saw the entire family talking and chattering amongst themselves in excitement. Even at this definite moment of minutes before Christmas, even Myungsoo and Jin-yi seemed to be getting along. for the second time, Myungsoo was smiling and tagging along with the family.

 

 The whole family collected their suitcases at the baggage collection area and all walked outside to feel the cold breeze, accompanied by the white sprinkles of snow. Jieun smiled as she stuck her hand out and watched as bits of snow landed on her red gloves. Right at this moment, all her worries had ceased to bother her. It was just the snow, and her.

 She held onto her suitcase and glanced at the LED screen attached to the side of the airport walls. It was decorated in red and green lights, signalling five minutes before christmas. it was currently 11:55PM, christmas eve.

 She breathed out and let the white mist escape out of . She had to admit, this was the best christmas that she would ever spend financially, she just wished that her father was present with her. From afar, she could see the large airport Christmas tree that shone brightly in midst of the crowd that was Paris. She squinted her eyes and saw the tiny Eiffel tower that was peeking from afar. 

 Her heart began to pound, because visiting the Eiffel tower was her long dream and it was the first time that anything she wanted ever came true. 

 

10!

 

9!

 

8!

 

A large countdown boomed from afar, catching Jieun's attention. Even her family was counting along in excitement. She had never experienced the countdown to Christmas, and she found herself counting along.

 

 

3!

 

2!

 

1!

 

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

 

Distant cheering filled the airport as everyone jumped in joy, and there were fireworks in the sky. To Jieun, this moment was so beautiful and her eyes were getting teary. She had never lived to see such a beautiful scene. She turned around and saw Chanyeol glancing at her with a big smile.

 

"Jieun?"

 

"Chanyeol, Merry Christmas." she grinned.

 

"Merry Christmas." 

 

 

And he hugged her, so tight, so warm.

 


MERRY LATE CHRISTMAS

I am so sorry, i was planning to update this chapter on Christmas Day but i had guests over that day so i really had no time.. For some people it's already New years, for me it's still 2014 so yeah. I will try to update the New years chapter right on New years day, i promise. I hope that you guys had a really good 2014 and i hope that you make your 2015 special and worthwhile! Although 2014 was a really bad year for the Korean Entertainment industry, i really do hope that things work out in 2015. Well, thanks for reading this chapter!

If you liked this chapter, please leave a comment and upvote. thanks!