Time

Under One Roof

Time 


              All preparations were done.

Jieun had finished her college entrance exams and could now taste something called freedom. The past few months had been especially hard on her with all the studying and the lack of sleep, but all of that paid off; she was certain she would get into a good university. She had devoted the past few months for the exam, and waiting for the results seemed daunting yet in a way, exciting.

The past few months were long enough for her memories of Chanyeol and Myungsoo to get blurry. Ever since the night her father dragged her out of the mansion, the brothers had cut off all contact and even moved houses, leaving their whereabouts unknown. She had no idea what happened to them and why this happened to them. She wanted to understand Chanyeol, she wanted to believe that he was forced to cut off contact and hide. 

But there was a small doubt in her mind that he did all of this, on purpose.

She couldn't even count the number of times she had texted Myungsoo or the number of times she had called Chanyeol, but each time came the sound of the horrible machine telling her that the number was no longer available. 

She didn't know what she hated more; the two boys who avoided her, or her lacking will to understand them. 

She still called them on the same number everyday with the hope that one day they would magically pick up and explain everything to her. She knew that relationships come and go, but she refused to believe that this one would also come and go. She didn't want to let this one go, and she felt like such a fool; like a girl swimming against the strong current. She tried not to think about them too much, because she knew she would break into tears. 

 

 She got dressed into her school uniform and headed out the door. The school life after the exam was nothing except for chilling out the whole time, and hardly any of the students showed up. But there were so many things Jieun didn't want to let go, including her youth. She liked the feeling of sitting at her desk, reminiscing the excitement of her waiting to meet Chanyeol after school. 

She could sit there for hours, lost in his thoughts.

She searched through the news every single day, but there wasn't a single story on any of them. 

"Where are you..?" 

She walked along the pathway, faced down. 

 

"JIEUN!" A familiar voice boomed behind her. Before she could turn back, a strong pair of arms wrapped around her neck and weighed her down. Her eyes the size of a walnut, she looked up to see Se-Jong and Se-chan dressed neatly in their school uniforms. Jieun stared at them and found herself smiling, something she hadn't done in months. She never thought she'd see the twins again, and personally like this. 

"Y..ou guys!" she exclaimed. "Where did you pop up from?"

The twins exchanged a funny look and chuckled. "We live in apartment 104, over there." Se-chan pointed at the apartment right across Jieun's. Seeing the twins smile so vibrantly filled her with energy. She didn't know why they were so happy all the time in a country with the highest rate of suicide.

"Since when?"

"We moved in two months ago. We finally convinced our dad to send us to Korea!" They giggled and breathed out happily. Jieun nodded with a faint smile, watching as the two boys skipped and played around with each other. They seemed so innocent yet so stupid. Jieun had never seen anyone happy about attending school in South Korea, especially with the pressure of college on their backs. 

"Are you guys sure you're happy?" Jieun sniggered. "Studying is really hard in Korea, it's different compared to the U.S, you know?"

Se-chan knudged Jieun and crossed his arms in pride. 

"I may not look like it, but i was actually first place in my math class back there, you see."

"Yeah, " Se-jong snorted. "In Algebra 2 in sophomore year."

Jieun only smiled, watching their purity.

"How are things going with you and Myungsoo?" Se-chan asked nonchalantly, slipping a haribo gummy bear into his mouth. Jieun stopped in her track, unable to say another word. The name shot a painful sensation through her heart, and another step would break her into tears. The two twins looked back and saw Jieun stare at the floor, her face buried inside her long hair. 

"J..ieun..? are you alright?"

Jieun looked up and stared at the two twins with no life in her eyes. 

"Did you guys have another fight..?" Se-jong asked, stuffing the entire packet of gummy bears into his mouth. The two watched as Jieun started breaking into tears. She crouched on the floor and her muffled sob filled the apartment complex. The doubt was absouletely certain to her now; she was sure they avoided her. Only her.

Flustered, the twins crouched down and supported Jieun up.

They needed to have a serious talk.

 

 

"You mean.. they cut off all contact since then?" The two twins said in unison. 

The three sat infront of the playground bench in their apartment complex, unable to say a word. The twins exchanged looks of speechlessness and took another sip of their banana milk. They always had something to eat, it was a wonder. The two glanced at Jieun who barely managed to stop crying. Her eyes were swollen and she her voice already nasally from all the crying. 

"What exactly happened to them?" Jieun asked.

The twins sighed. 

"I don't know how to break it to you Jieun.." Se-chan said. "So many things have happened i thought they would be the first ones to tell you about what was happening to them.. especially with the way Chanyeol felt about you, i never imagined this.."

"Just get to the point." Jieun snapped.

"Approximately a few weeks after you left the mansion, Chanyeol was sent.. well, forced. He was forced to go to America with his Mr.Kim. He's under training for the head department chain in L.A, and.. he should be coming back sometime this month.. The family also moved their residence somewhere else, but i'm afraid that's confidential."

'When?" Jieun grasped their hands.

"uh," Se-chan checked his planner. "sometime this week actually."

Jieun thought to herself.

"But.. honestly, i suggest you don't see him Jieun.."

"Why..?"

Se-chan was hesitant to talk. She knew that she would get her heart broken the moment he started talking, but she had to know. She was tired of waiting, and she would rather hear it and get heartbroken, so she could heal from it and eventually.. move on. She wasn't sure whether she would still want to see Chanyeol after what would happen, but she yearned to know about his news. 

"Chanyeol is.." Se-chan stuttered. "You're going to be really surprised Jieun.. but he's.. i mean,"

Se-Jong sighed and pushed Se-chan.

"Chanyeol's getting married."

An awkward silence flowed, followed by Jieun's soft chuckle. She nodded repeatedly, trying to hold back the tears that were trying to escape from her eyes. She was expecting it, but when it hit her, it hurt more than she expected it to. Perhaps it was better not to know. Perhaps it was better to live the rest of her life, forever curious about what happened to him. Now she knew, she didn't know what to do anymore.

The twins bit their lips, not knowing what to do. They clearly knew she wasn't okay.

"I.. i think it's so stupid you know!" Se-chan stuttered. "He's not even twenty yet he's engaged to Suzy, does this make sense? In the 21st century? He's not even real blood yet he's getting all the godly treatment, god. He was raised with a silver spoon in his mouth anyway, what do you expect."

Se-chan cringed, hoping that would make Jieun feel a little better.

"What about Myungsoo..?" Jieun changed the subject. "Where's he been?"

"He's been working on his debut collection for his photo album in Jeju island. He just arrived last week." Se-jong informed. There was no point sugar-coating any more truth, because Jieun was already hurt. There really was no point. 

Jieun nodded and stood up from the seat. She couldn't bear hear any more.

She was such an idiot.

She was so curious about the two boys for the past six months, yet she was pushing herself away from their news. 

"Look at the time," she grinned. "we'll be late for school."

"Jieun," Se-jong sighed and grabbed her right shoulder. He searched through his backpack and pulled out a small piece of paper and placed it inside her hand. 

"This is the only thing i can do for you."

The two twins left Jieun on her own. She unfolded the paper and stared at the writing meaninglessly. She wasn't sure if this was what she really wanted. On the paper was Myungsoo's address scribbled messily. She wasn't sure if she really wanted to go see him. Myungsoo was in the country the whole time, yet he had never bothered to contact Jieun once.  She was sure he had moved on, and that she meant nothing more than a piece of dust in his head. 

It kind of when the person you miss probably doesn't miss you back.

 


Wish - Toy

 

     Jieun stared at the tall 60 storey apartment, watching as foreign cars parked up the driveway. She promised herself not to, but here she was, infront of Myungsoo's residence. she watched as people got out of their car and passed their keys to the valet, sending their cars into their garage probably bigger than Jieun's house. Looking at this apartment made her feel    so much disparity.

She lived in a place smaller than his garage, yet she dared to love him. 

"45th floor.." she repeated to herself. 

She stared up at the tall apartment she couldn't even see the end of. This was the distance between her and Myungsoo. Her heart was aching but there was nothing she could do about it. She was too greedy and tried to keep two people by her side at the same time, now she lost two at the same time. She wanted to see his face one last time before she would forget him eternally, but a fool she was- she couldn't.

She watched as a familiar lambourgi pulled up the driveway. 

She watched silently as Myungsoo got out of the car and handed the key to the valet. Everything about him was the same. The same camera hung around his neck, the black coat he wore around his broad shoulders, and his cold yet warm expression that he wore whereever he went. He walked inside the lobby and disappeared through the many people occupying the first floor. 

 

 Without conscience, she walked inside the lobby with her eyes half filled with tears. 

She looked around the half crowded lobby, trying to search for Myungsoo. He was nowhere to be seen, but she could feel his presense somewhere on this floor. The floor was filled with middle aged men and women who were dressed in formal clothing- presumably for a party she guessed. Even with all these people in the same space, everything blurred except for her quest to search for Myungsoo. 

She rushed toward the elevator and pressed the button to the door that had just closed. 

 

With an anxious heart, Jieun watched as the elevator door slid open.

 

"J..ieun?"

At the sound of the sweet voice she missed, her legs became jelly and she fell to the floor. 

 


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Sorry i haven't updated in like.. forever. I am a high school Junior and i was really busy, especially with SAT and all the AP classes i am taking currently. But thanksgiving break gave me some time. In case some of you are confused, i deleted the previous chapter with Minseok in it because i read over it and it was just really weird and random, so this chapter continues from chapter 22. 

Thanks for reading guys!

Have a nice thanksgiving