Suzy

Under One Roof

 


 The entire day consisted of the brothers constantly avoiding each other and Jieun stuck inbetween the uncomfortable truth. She didn't know why she had to be stuck inbetween these two or what was going on between these two. The only thing she was certain of was that it was going to be a very hard process just to even find out what caused this, let alone try to fix their relationship.

 "Chanyeol," Jieun knocked on his door warily, trying not to get on his nerves. "You haven't eaten anything since the morning.. " She held the wooden tray with her ramyun freshly cooked and ready to eat. as expected, there was no response from Chanyeol except the faint rock music that flowed out through the gaps of his door. She knocked once more and placed the tray on the floor. "I brought you some noodles.." she said cautiously. "I'll just leave it at your door so if you're hungry, take a bite.." Jieun nodded and turned around.

 "Oh," she hesitated. "And i know i may be blunt but if you want, you can talk to me.." She nodded lightly and walked down the corridor, downstairs. 

The rock music paused, and creaked open the door. Chanyeol looked down at the tray and stared at the Ramyun, then out to the corridor. He didn't know what this feeling was, but he felt warm inside. "You really are blunt, aren't you.." Chanyeol said with a downward grin and picked up the tray, shutting the door behind him. He placed the tray on his study table and began slurping the ramyun, smiling at the familiar taste.

 It tasted just like the ramyun that his mother used to cook for him.

As he stuffed the noodles into his mouth, he felt his eyes getting warm and before he knew it he was slurping his tears also. "This is really tasty.." He chuckled through his tears and continued to laugh, stuffing noodles into his mouth. He didn't know if it was going through his mouth or his nose but he didn't care, because the poignance made him full. He finished the pot in seconds along with his tears.

 He wiped his swollen face and looked out the window, seeing Jieun stare at him in surprise. She stood in the balcony with a coffee mug in her hands and she seemed quite startled by Chanyeol's sudden appeareance. She glanced at the ramyun pot and smiled, taking a seat on the two seater swing that was built in the wooden flooring. She swung herself lightly, sipping her drink and staring up at the moonlight. 

 "Is it still.. available?" Chanyeol asked unwillingly.

"What?" Jieun asked, gripping the mug tightly between her fingers. 

"Your..talk.. session.." Chanyeol said awkwardly, diverting eyes with her. She chuckled and sighed in joy, wiping the dust on the seat beside her. "We're open 24/7." She smiled casually and Chanyeol plopped down on the seat beside her. The two were silent for some time, just staring at the tranquil moon that shone the dark sky. there were no stars in the sky, just the crescent moon hanging there all alone. 

 "The sky would be prettier with stars.." Chanyeol murmured, leaning his head against the swing. 

"But it looks sort of magnificent just being alone." Jieun added.

"It's the surroundings that help you shine the most." Chanyeol hummed, looking down at his bruised fingers from baseball practice. Jieun sighed dreamily and stared at his fingers also, opening to speak but held back. "Is baseball that special to you..?" She asked in a soft voice.

 He chuckled and put his hands against the moonlight.

"Do you know what my fear is?" he paused and Jieun glanced at him. "It's getting hurt. but look at my fingers, it's full of scars and bruises. each bruise and each scar brought me closer to where i am now and at first i hated- no loathed it. but i came to love the scars on my hand and now, i wouldn't trade them for anything else in the world." He rubbed his hands softly and concealed his bruises under the darkness.

 "Wow," Jieun nodded. "I.. i'm impressed, you know?"

"Yeah right," he scoffed. "But what's the use? I can't continue anymore."

"What..?" Jieun placed her mug down.

"All these years of living in this household, i was able to realize.. that the only reason i was adopted into this household was to become the support prop. I was naive to think that they actually loved me all this time, you know..?"

Jieun was silent.

"Myungsoo had everything. I remember i was nine years old when i had first met Myungsoo and was told that he would be my new brother. He was the queer boy with the antiquity camera in his hands staring at me ominously. As time passed, we grew closer and we were inseparable. We came to embrace our differences and he healed my pain of adoption temporarily and i leaned on him."

"What happened..?" Jieun asked solemnly.

"We were sixteen.."

 

 

Mr.Kim had called Myungsoo and Chanyeol into his study and seated his two sons before his magnificent office desk. He sat on a large office chair and behind him laid stacks and stacks of books and files neatly organized into the bookshelves. Mr.Kim smiled satisfyingly at his two sons panting from the baseball game they had just played in the backyard. He placed a camera and a baseball on the desk, letting the two boys stare at it.

 "Myungsoo,"

"Yes Dad?"

"Chanyeol?"

"Yes Father?"

"What would you like to be when you grow up?" He asked so lucidly that the two sons had no idea what would crush them.

"I, i want to be a major baseball player and get recruited on the dodgers!" Chanyeol exclaimed and jumped in his seat, giggling. "And i am going to be a professional photographer and i am going to travel all around the world taking beautiful pictures!" He paused to look at Chanyeol and fell into a pool of laughter. "And i will take the best cover photo of Chanyeol making his first pitch at the dodgers stadium!" the two high fived each other.

 Mr.Kim's face grew ominous, concealed by a forced smile.

"As of today, you will begin your official education."

The word confused the two boys as they stared at each other, then at their father.

"Myungsoo, you will travel to Florence, Italy where you will study photography until the senior year of high school." Myungsoo squirmed in joy and high fived Chanyeol, waiting for his father to announce Chanyeol's plans. Chanyeol was on the edge of his seat, waiting for where he would be sent.

"and Chanyeol," his father paused to push his glasses up. 

"Yes father?"

"You will stay here and you will transfer to a business school." 

Chanyeol's face fell. He didn't understand why, he was accepted at the top sports academy in Seoul and was already halfway planning his career. he raised an eyebrow and questioned his father.

"But father, how will a business school help my baseb-"

"Park Chanyeol, as of today- you will no longer play baseball because you will take my place in ten years."

 

"No..No.. NO!" Chanyeol screamed and pushed Myungsoo out of the way, escaping from the horrible study. He felt so betrayed. that's when he realized that his Father didn't really love him, that he was there for a reason.

 

 'Ever since then, i've realized that i was never really their true son, that Myungsoo was the original and would always be."

"Wait.." Jieun cringed. "Isn't the real son supposed to.. inhe..rit..?"

"Yeah," he sniggered emotionlessly. "But Mr.Kim's different. his number one priority is his son and for his happiness, he is more than willing to do anything for him. and that leaves me." Chanyeol finished dully.

 "Don't you miss him?"

"What..?"

"Don't you miss Myungsoo? Don't you want to go back to the time when he healed your scars and you healed his? don't you want to be happy for him? just like the olden days..? I see it in your eyes Chanyeol, i know you miss him but you know that it will never be the same."

 "I don't miss him." he said so fast that it sounded like a blabber.

"Are you sure..?"

"How can i miss him? how can i be happy for him when i don't even have enough time to protect my own happiness?" Chanyeol teared up once again. "I've lost my family, if i lose baseball there's nothing that can hold me together. I'm mad, i'm so fricking mad at him."

 "Here." Jieun slipped out a small star shaped jar filled with long strips of glow in the dark paper. "When i don't know what i feel and life seems unfair and the person i hate the person i want to love, i fold stars." She placed it in his hands. "Like you said, the surroundings help you shine the most. while folding these stars, think about what you really lost. " she chuckled awkwardly and rose from her seat.

 "I usually get the answer on my 999th star.. if you reach 1,000 stars you know right..? you can make a wish and it will be granted.." she nodded lightly. "I hope that once you reach the 1,000th star.. you make a wise wish." she smiled. Chanyeol stared at her and back at the glass jar, staring at the glowing paper inside that would soon become his surroundings.

 

 

----

 

 -NEXT DAY-

"Chanyeol," Jieun knocked on his door early in the morning.

"Yeah?" 

"Mr.Kim wants to see you in his study." 

"Father? What for?"

"I don't know but he said it was something important.." She scratched her head. Chanyeol opened the door with the glass jar in his hand containing three paper stars poorly made. Jieun smiled and looked up at him satisfyingly. 

"997 more to go." She punched his arm lightly and walked down the stairs.

 

 

"What?! and you didn't even bother to consult with me before you recklessly made decisions like this?" Chanyeol blurted, running his fingers through his hair. His father had just passed down the most shocking news that would imprison his entire life. "I really was going to give up on baseball father, i really was. but now that you bring this up too, i really cannot." he seethed.

 "Chanyeol, this is for the sake of the company so yo-"

"You expect me to marry someone i don't love just for the sake of your company?!" He screamed and slammed his hand against the wall. He was breathing heavily, trying to gather his thoughts together. Chanyeol was on the verge of tearing up but for the sake of his pride, there was nothing he could do but to hold it in. He raised his head and there he saw the portrait of himself, Myungsoo and Bae Suzy.

 "I.." Chanyeol bluffed. "I lived my entire life under your control father. I had everything taken away from me, and do i have to have my last personal status taken away from me? " "Chanyeo-" "No, i know what you're going to say. that i should be thankful that i was adopted into a rich household and that i should always obey the father."

Chanyeol sighed and wiped his watery eyes.

"Have i ever disobeyed you Father..? in my nine years of being here, not once.. not ONCE, i have ever rebelled nor disobeyed. i know i am not the original son of this household, i know that i am not of the same blood. but is that any reason for you to take away my freedom as if it's nothing..?" Chanyeol shrilled. this was really the last straw. His father had announced that he was to be engaged with Bae Suzy, the daughter of YoonSung Company and co, his brother's first love.

 "The decision is made and the contract is signed. there is nothing i can do about it." Mr.Kim turned his back to Chanyeol.

 

"I'm really disappointed in you father." He whispered and walked out of the room, his eyes shingling with tears. 

"Chanyeol what hap-" Jieun blurted but Chanyeol escaped from her voice, bursting into tears as he shut the door of his room behind him. he slid down to the floor and leaned against the floor, sobbing softly. nothing was working out in his life and he didn't know why. He knew that this day would eventually come and he thought he was prepared for the pain, but when it actually hit him the force was stronger than he thought it would be.

  "Chanyeol," Jieun knocked on the door lightly. "Are you alright..?"

"Leave me alone." he replied in his snotty voice. 

"997 more." She said quietly and left the door. He pulled himself up and sat on his desk, taking the cork out of the glass jar. with his bruised fingers he carefully began to fold a long strip, until it turned into a beuatiful yellow glow-in-the-dark star. He plopped it into the jar and stared through the transparent glass, amazed at how much more calm his mind had become. 

 Chanyeol looked up and saw the picture frame placed on the top shelf, the picture that was well hidden. He reached for it and stared at the crinkly picture of Him,Suzy and Myungsoo during their middle school graduation. Suzy stood in the middle with a flower bouquet in her hands, her arms linked with his and Myungsoo's. her smile shone so bright that nobody ever ceased to forget. 

"But she's such a good friend.. how could i.."

He stared at Myungsoo and saw his ardent glance on Suzy. Myungsoo really liked Suzy and he never got over her and although they did not communicate anymore, Chanyeol knew that Suzy still had a special place in Myungsoo's heart, unforgotten. He thought Myungsoo had everything but if he thought again, Myungsoo was quite pitiful. falling for the person who ignored his true intentions and although realizing the pain, he still hasn't given up.

 

 

 "Who are you?" Jieun raised an eyebrow as she poked her head through the front door. before her stood a very glamorous girl with a very prominent tall height. the girl blinked twice and pushed Jieun though the door. The girl threw her vans off and wandered through the house as if it was her own. "Hey, i said who are you?" Jieun gripped her shoulder and spun her to meet her eyes.

 This girl was very beautiful indeed, just that.

There was nothing too prominent about her, except for the innocence that seemed to have been corrupted. "Who are you?"  the girl crossed her arms and looked down at Jieun, scanning her shabby appeareance. the girl sneered quietly and walked past her, waving her off. "Everything's still the same here, isn't it.." She sighed and plopped onto the couch, reminiscing the old times.

 'For the third time.." Jieun grit her teeth. "Who are you?"

"Me?" She said casually. "Bae Suzy. I'm here to meet my future husband."

Jieun choked on her saliva and blinked twice. was she hearing right? "H..husband?" she stuttered. if she was hearing right, then that meant that this girl was promised to either Myungsoo or Chanyeol. "Oh, You mean Myungsoo?" Jieun chuckled unwillingly. Suzy's expression grew darker at the name but chuckled once more. "Where are the brothers? i haven't seen them for so long."

 "Upstairs."

"But who are you?" Suzy crossed her arms. 

"Me?" she pointed to herself. "None of your business." she said with a sarcastic smile. Just then, the sound of shuffling followed Myungsoo sauntering down the stairs with his eyes fixed on the camera. Myungsoo looked up and saw sitting right before him with a lucid smile. he dropped his camera and dashed toward Suzy, pulling her into his warm embrace. "Bae suzy.. you bad girl.. why did you come now? do you know how much i missed you?" he hugged her even tighter and released her so that he could take a good look at her face.

 Everything was the same as before, all so lovely.

"You haven't changed at all." Suzy smiled peacefully.

Jieun scoffed at her double personality. Where was the girl with the stuck up personality?

"Are you in Korea for good? You're not going back to America anymore?" Myungsoo said with an angelic face, holding her hands tightly in his. Jieun had never seen him so purely in love before, it surprised her. not that she had known him long enough to say, but he had many faces.

"Myungsoo," she sighed uncomfortably and released her grip. "There's something i have to tell you.."

"What?" he replied limpidly like a puppy waiting for its owner to feed him with a treat. 

She hesitated but spoke.

 

"I'm getting married." 

 

Jieun watched as Myungsoo's face fell like a parachute, never to be revived again. "What..? Myungsoo wasn't the one..?" Jieun cringed, then gasped. She watched as Myungsoo forced a smile, nodding understandingly. He tucked her hair behind her ear and took another good look at her face. "Who's this lucky guy who gets to have this beautiful girl?" He joked, trying not to tear up.

 The atmosphere had turned chilly, yet sentimental.

"Myungsoo.. I'm sorry.."

"No..! why are you sorry? I should be congratulating you. When is the wedding?" 

"It hasn't been decided yet." her voice hummed.

"Who... is.. it..?"

 

Before Suzy could talk, Chanyeol walked down the stairs and met face to face with Suzy and his brother. outside he was neutral, but inside he was burning cold. Suzy glanced at Chanyeol then fixed her eyes to the floor, unable to say another word. Myungsoo fixed his eyes on Chanyeol then at Suzy, not wanting to believe what he thought was happening. "You came here because you missed us two, right..? you brought alot of presents for us right..?" Myungsoo grew more shaky as his voice grew unstable.

 "Right Suzy?!"

 

"I.. am really sorry Myungsoo, i don't know what to say.." She whispered.

"No, isn't this candid camera? right?" Myungsoo chuckled forcedly. "Yes this is a welcoming prank right?" he nodded, denying the truth. everybody looked down except for Jieun who was startled at Myungsoo's new face. The silence marked his despair as he fell on his knees with his fist tightly clenched. He had nothing more to say, because he knew that denying would just hurt him more.

"Myungsoo.." Chanyeol called.

No response.

"Myungsoo."

"Don't," he hissed. "say my name."

 

Chanyeol walked past Suzy, toward his brother and knelt down to meet his eyes. 

 

"Myungsoo.." he paused. "God doesn't give us everything. for once, i have something that you don't. thank you."  he got on his feet and stared  at Suzy who stared right back at him. There was no emotion, no love, and no soul. Chanyeol sighed and looked around the house, cringing at the unwelcomed sight that laid right near the velvet couch standing so tall on its own.

 

 

The pink suitcase.

 


A/N

Hello This is JoJoChoco I hope you liked this chapter

I am sorry but this will be the only chapter i have for this week because i have to study for my exam which is coming up shortly and i also have so much homework due on the same day so i won't have time to update anymore.. but next week i will try to update as soon as possible! thank you