Hope

Where were you?

'Hey babe, I'm back. Miss me?'

I kept reading the message for the umpteenth time, not wanting to reply. But all I could feel was scared and angered. Suddenly, all those memories came back puzzling itself together piece by piece and before I even knew it, everything was all in my tiny mind. It's been five hours since I received the message but I still hadn't reply and I still don't want to. Because firstly, I didn't know what the heck I should reply and secondly, why should I even bother right?

I tried to calm myself down. I breathed in and out, closing my eyes, resting on my bed. Suddenly,

"BEEP BEEP BEEP... BEEP BEEP BEEP..." My phone rang. I picked my phone up to see who was calling and the moment I saw the number listed on the screen, my mind grew blank. Eventhough I didn't saved the number in my phone, I could still remember the number. I know who it belongs to. The call lasted for one minute before the caller finally gave up. Yes, I didn't answer. I didn't want to. I was scared. But when I thought it was all over, the person called me up again.

"BEEP BEEP BEEP... BEEP BEEP BEEP... BEEP BEEP BEEP..." I could only stare at my phone in my hands. I really didn't know what to do. But I still ignored the call and finally, the caller gave up again. But eventually, my phone rang again. This time, I decided to pick it up and answer it since it was bothering me so much.

"Y-yobeseyo?" My voice cracked.

"Jaehee?" The person on the other line finally spoke up after a few seconds of silence. The voice was still the same as last time, still as soothing as ever. But I know I shouldn't be thinking this way.

"What do you want?" I managed to speak up. "Why are you contacting me?"

The next line the person said totally shocked me. "I-i miss you, Jaehee." My mouth formed an O-shape. There was an awkward silence and I didn't know what to reply.

"Jaehee? Are you there?" The person said, making me fall out from my trance. "Yeah?"

"Why are you so quiet, baby?" The person chuckled. What the hell, is he out of his mind? Did he gone mad or something? What's wrong with him?

"P-pardon? What did you just call me?" I snapped.

"What are you talking about? What's wrong?" He asked.

"Did you just called me, baby?"

"Yeah, I did. What's wrong? Aren't I supposed to be calling you that?" He chuckled. "You're so cute, baby. Why are you so pissed off? Oh! Are you having your PMS, that's why?"

My mouth formed an even bigger O-shape.

"Anyway, aren't you coming to visit me, my dear? I'm so bored here. I thought you're the first person to come see me but I guess I'm wrong." He sounded sad. "But it's all right, I know you're busy that's why. But you're gonna come today right?"

I was confused. Visit him? Whatever for? "Why would I even visit you?"

"Hello? Your boyfriend is in the hospital and you're not gonna visit him?" He replied.

Hospital? My heart immediately sank. Why is he there?

"Why are you in the hospital?" I asked. "I'll tell you if you come here, alright? I'm at Seoul National University Hospital. Level fifteen, ward three, room number ten. See you soon, baby." He then hung up, leaving me speechless.

I didn't want to waste any more time so I quickly grabbed my belongings and headed my way there.

Once I was right in front of his hospital room door, I really didn't know what to do. I slowly reached out my hand towards the door handle and slowly slide it open. I stepped in slowly, not knowing if this was ever the right thing to do. I walked quietly towards the patient's bed. He was fast asleep. I quietly pulled a chair and placed it right beside him as I sat down. The moment I sat down, I saw something that caught my eyes. It was something he was holding onto while he's asleep. I slowly took the thing from his hand and examine it. It was a picture of us two together, when we were still dating back then. It was two years ago. We were still a happy couple back then but things didn't go our way and we were forced to break up, sadly. Tears suddenly threatened to fall and I was holding on to the photograph tightly. Yes, I missed spending time with him. He was the bestest and the most romantic boyfriend ever. Memories of us came right in my mind and I missed every moment of it. Suddenly,

"Jaehee?" The patient voiced out, making me jump in my seat.

I looked up and saw him looking straight at me. He still looked handsome as before. How I wished I could touch his face with my bare hands, just like old times when he was still mine.

I finally managed to speak out in reply,

"Himchan?"

"Jaehee-ah... You're finally here! I waited for you for so long till I fell asleep." He chuckled.

I just stared at him unknowingly. I was so confused as to why he's acting this way. We dated for only a few months, four months to be precise, and it all ended too fast, way too fast. And the reason for our breakup? Well, apparently I found him cheating on me. But I was cool, I guess? Okay, no, maybe not. But nobody was aware of our relationship, not even our close friends and not even our own parents. Why? Well, for my reason, I just felt that the relationship wasn't gonna be serious afterall. I felt something amiss. Besides all those lovely moments we had together and how romantic he was, at the end of the day I still felt lonely, somehow. So basically, it was like a secret love kind of thing.

"Jaehee-ah... Why are you so quiet now?" Himchan spoke out, making me come back to planet Earth.

"Huh? Quiet? Me?"

Himchan nodded, "Too quiet. You're not the same like last time." He frowned.

"What happened to you anyway?" I asked, ignoring what he just said.

"I don't remember actually but the doctor just said that I was involved in a car accident." He stated.

I bit my lower lip. Just as I was about to ask him more questions, the door swung open revealing a doctor with his clipboard.

"Ah, Mr Kim. How are you doing?" The doctor asked, walking over to us.

"Ah hi, Dr Lee. I'm doing great especially after my girlfriend here finally came to see me." Himchan smiled eagerly. Whoa, wait, what? Girlfriend? Am I hearing things right here?

"G-girlfriend?" My eyes were huge.

"Mmm," Himchan nodded, "Isn't my girlfriend pretty, Dr Lee?"

Dr Lee just smiled. Dr Lee then turned to face me, "Can I talk to you outside for awhile, Miss?" I nodded, curiously.

"I'll be right back, Himchan." I quickly stood up and turned my back, ready to go. But I felt a heavy weight on my hands, pulling me back. I turned around and saw Himchan holding on to my hand, "Don't take too long, okay? I miss you." He frowned. I just nodded, not knowing what to say. I walked out of the room with Dr Lee and he closed the door behind us and we walked somewhere further.

"You must be Miss Park Jaehee, aren't you?" Dr Lee asked, making me surprised. How did he know my name?

"Yes, I am. You can just call me Jaehee, though. But, how do you know me?" I raised an eyebrow.

He lifted up his spectacles before saying, "Mr Kim has been asking about you ever since he woke up from his coma a few days ago."

"He was in a coma? What happened?" I grew shocked.

"Well, he was actually somewhere at America for his holiday last six months when he met with an accident. He was admitted to the hospital there but unfortunately he fell into a coma that lasted quite long that it really made all of us lose hope in him. So his parents are really busy and everytime they flew to America just to visit him and hoping he'd wake up, he just won't. So they felt it was quite a burden to fly back everytime to see him when he won't even wake up. So they decided to transfer him here so it's easier for them to pay him a visit. And fortunately, during his first night here, he finally woke up. It was a miracle. After six months in coma, he finally woke up."

I stood there shocked at the fact that he was involved in an accident that landed him in a coma. "That's b-bad..."

"Yeah, it was. He really made us lose hope in him. We were even thinking about shutting down the life support but luckily we didn't. Six months, it was tremendously long. Only God knows what he went through during that six months. And, not only that. The moment he woke up, he said out your name immediately and asked where were you and all. At that time, it was only me and a few other nurses and his family members weren't there. So I told him that I would ask his parents about you but he quickly told me not to tell anyone about you and I don't know the reason why. Anyway, for your information, he lost his memory. Well, not all of it though, some of it. It seems like he only remembers till the part where he's dating you and only up till that, not anymore longer than that. So please, Jaehee-shi, help him to recall all of the other things, especially those after that. Can you? Because it seems like you're the only person he listens to. He doesn't even listens to his parents." Dr Lee shook his head.

"B-but... The thing is... I'm getting married pretty soon and my future husband won't like the sight of this, you know what I mean." I shared.

"You're getting married? But I thought you and Mr Kim are together?" Dr Lee looked confused.

"Not anymore, Dr Lee. We broke up two years ago."

"Oh, I'm so sorry about that." He immediately apologised.

"Nah, it's okay. Totally cool about it." I smiled. "I'm sorry, Dr Lee, but I don't think I can help you with this. It's hard for me. I hope you understand."

Dr Lee immediately frowned, "But you're the only one he listens to, Jaehee-shi. You're our only hope."

I seriously didn't know what to do now. I shouldn't have came here in the first place.

"Please, Jaehee-shi? Will you maybe, think about it? He and even us, we really need your help."

I sighed, "Okay, I'll think about it."