Creatures

Where were you?

"What?" My eyes widdened in surprise. Those words, am I really hearing it? Am I really listening to it?

"You heard me the very first time, didn't you?" He raised an eyebrow.

I bit my lower lip, turning slightly away from them. My face was filled with disappointment.

"Sweetie, trust us. This is going to turn out good. Believe it."

"But mum,"

"No buts, Jaehee. All we want is for you to listen to us. Get it?" Dad immediately cut me off, not even allowing me to finish off my pathetic sentence.

My head immediately hung low.

"Jaehee-ah... You are a very good daughter and you always listen to us, eventhough you disagree sometimes. But trust us in this, this decision is definitely worth it. You and even us, we won't regret it. We all will have a steady and strong future. We can't let this opportunity go to waste just like that. Why not you sit down and think about it properly. You'll definitely get what we are trying to say here right now. Alright, sweetie?" Mum walked over to me and hugged me, patting my back at the same time.

"Now go get changed. They'll be here in thirty minutes time. Wear something nice, alright?" Dad said as I just nodded my head.

The moment I reached my room, I closed the door behind me as I slid my body down the door and landed on the floor on my . Tears immediately escaped from my eyes as I sobbed silently in my dark room. I recalled those words that my dad said to me earlier on. 'You're getting married and I don't want to hear a No as an answer.' Those words. It's just like everything in my life is arranged by my parents. I've been obeying their instructions since I was a little girl and now they are even deciding who I'm going to marry? Wait, no. They're not deciding but apparently they already found one for me even without asking me first. I am going to marry a stranger. Yes. You heard it right. I am.

*THIRTY MINUTES LATER*

"Jaehee-ah... They're here." My mum knocked on my door as she said softly through the door. Without even answering her, I turned the doorknob and slowly made my way out of my room.

"You look beautiful, sweetie. Just like always." She gave me a warm sweet smile, obviously trying to make me feel better but it clearly wasn't.

We made our way downstairs and upon reaching the dining room, our dining table was filled up more compared to other days. My dad sat on one end of the table, followed by an ahjussi and ahjumma sitting next to my dad. And there was also this one guy sitting next to the ahjumma. Obviously those are his parents then. And another obvious thing, that guy is my future husband. Can't be that ahjussi right? But one thing about that guy though, he's handsome. Eventhough I'm feeling down and sad, but admit it girls, you'll still notice good-looking guys right? He was wearing a black shirt and a black suit over it with a white tie. His hair was all brown in colour. The moment I sat down in front of him, he stared at me making me more uncomfortable than I already was. (Like in the picture below)

 

Dad cleared his throat, "Jaehee-ah... Introduce yourself."

I stared at those three creatures in front of me. Okay, I know by calling them creatures is a bit rude but I just can't help it. "Annyeonghaesayo, Park Jaehee imnida. Nice to meet you." I slightly bowed.

The ahjussi and ahjumma immediately smiled warmly. "Aigoo... We didn't know that your daughter is so beautiful, Mr and Mrs Park." The ahjumma excitedly said. "Nice to meet you! I'm Mr Jung and this is my wife, Mrs Jung." The ahjussi, which apparently is called Mr Jung, introduced himself. Mrs Jung then nudged her son's elbow making him flinched.

"Oh... Annyeonghaesayo. I'm Daehyun. Jung Daehyun." Still with his expressionless face.

The dinner went on and our parents kept talking and chit chatting away while the handsome guy, oh sorry, I meant Daehyun, was eating and enjoying his meal away. While I was just picking on my food with my elbow on the table and my hand covering my left cheek when suddenly my mum nudged me making me fall out from my trance. "Yes?" I questioned her. "Talk to Daehyun. Don't just sit there." She said, allowing everyone to overhear our conversation.

"Oh no it's okay, Mrs Park. We understand." Mr Jung immediately interrupted. "Besides, it's the kid's first meeting. We can't expect them to immediately get close, right? Give them time." I immediately went back to picking my food, totally agreeing with what Mr Jung just said, when suddenly Daehyun immediately stood up and walked over to my side. He gently took my right arm and said, "Allow me to take her out for some fresh air as I get to know her, Mr and Mrs Park." I immediately turned to look at my parents as they nodded eagerly and I took that as a sign for me to get moving so I apparently stood up slowly and let Daehyun take me to wherever he wanted to take me to.