Final

The Sticky Affection


djdeaAj.jpg




"Wow, Choi Junhong, I think I have to make up my mind about you."



A smirk slowly appeared on Junhong's face as Mr. Kim re-read every single thing on the paper once again still with an obvious disbelief placed by his both eyes. It was already the fourth times for that teacher to examine the paper back and forth like he couldn't believe his own sense that there was literally zero amiss there meanwhile Junhong was only lifting his chin up in arrogant manner instead.



He knew it was such a miracle and he couldn't believe it himself as well. He really wanted to run for miles and laughed his head off already but being in front of those teacher that used to look at him with one eye like him—guess he had to hold the urge back for a while.



"I told you," Junhong raised his eyebrow, "I can do it. I was just too lazy, that's all."



Mr. Kim looked at him for a moment, suddenly getting hit by a realization from nature. "Did you steal the copy from my desk?"



Junhong looked taken aback for a second, making a very artistic expression upon hearing the accusation before letting out a forceful laugh off his lips. "Sorry, I'm too busy for that useless thing."



Mr. Kim bit his inner cheeks as if his face not haggard enough while keep staring at those kid in front of him, trying to find the honesty through his eyes. "Alright. I took this as your guts to change. But remember, the real deal is final test. Remember that."



"I know," Junhong muttered, half-heartedly.



There was a couple beats of silence between them where Mr. Kim was actually waiting for him to leave and Junhong that was waiting for the perfect timing to say something until finally, the elder hit the taller's head with his notebook in a loss of patience.



"What are you doing here? Go back to your class!" he loudly commanded.



Junhong grinned. "I'm actually wanting to ask for your favor."



Mr. Kim frowned in a how-could-you-think-i-will-help-you way yet he finally gave up after looking at his pleading stare for a moment. Despite his incorrigible laziness and mannerless attitude, he was actually a very nice and fair kid—and Kim knew it better than anyone else. "What? I haven't got my wage yet."



"I want you to inform my perfect score of this quiz in front of my classmates. Literally in front of them," he said, bluntly. To the point.



"What?" the frowns on his forehead grew deeper. "Why are you so proud about it?"



Junhong chuckled, didn't really know how to answer him besides giving a friendly poke on his shoulder, trying to melt the tension down. "I really really need your help."



Despite the suspicions and confusion that Mr. Kim had at that time, he thought that telling the class about his perfect score was really not a big deal. Instead, it could become his motivation to do better next time as the whole class finally acknowledged his intelligence and he had to do nothing but studying even harder to reach the expectation. Yes, it was all that Mr. Kim had inside his head when he finally nod his head as an agreement to what the kid asked for. He really didn't have any negative nor weird thoughts about it at all.



Not that Junhong's plan was such a bad thing as well.




















Hayi could say nothing was really different from between Junhong knew about her to after everything has been revealed.



They were still remained as the awkward classmates, didn't talk a lot and didn't really know about each others. She couldn't name it as a disappoinment though—yet the more she thought about it, the more she felt weird inside. Perhaps he just realized what he had been getting into and wanted to take a little space away from her or he just waited for her to approach him first instead—in fact, she didn't have any idea at all. It was a whole new thing in her life and the only worst possibility that she wanted to avoid the most was causing him to feel uneasy—that was all that she clearly knew at the moment.



And to make it worst, that day, Junhong didn't look at her at all.



He seemed to be the old Junhong, whose playfully chatting with other famous students on the back side of the classroom without even mind to give a second glance to her. More than ignoring, it was more likely he didn't even notice her at the first place like the whole sticky notes stuff weren't exist between them at all. It was strange—and causing her to feel unwanted somehow.



Yet she didn't know why did she have to feel that way either.



"I have something to tell you guys about a miracle that happened yesterday," Mr. Kim announced right after he finished writing all the essays, causing the whole class to stop from copying the work for a moment, including Hayi.



Hayi wasn't really interested on what the teacher would say since her mind was already too clouded to open up another space for his announcement but when she glanced at Junhong whose immediately looked away with a smile by his face the moment their eyes met, she began to wonder what was actually happened.



"Our handsome and charismatic boy has already done a very good job for his quiz yesterday and achieved perfect score which is really like one of seven wonders in this universe," Mr. Kim opened up with an introduction before smiling from ear-to-ear and raising the volume of his voice to continue, "please give a loud applause to Choi Junhong!"



Everyone, including Hayi, was hawking so wide to hear those name out of the teacher's lips. The whispers starting to fill the whole class with what and how in a second while Hayi was just wordlessly staring at Mr. Kim in front of the class in complete disbelief. She couldn't believe that he was really making it true and even got a perfect score like what he promised to her all this time and as the thoughts of the reason he did it was because of her came and hit her on the head—she couldn't help but to grin like an idiot.



Without her knowing that he was watching her from afar with a smile as well.



"Come here, Junhong. Tell them a few words," Mr. Kim asked, later followed by a loud agreement cheers from the class.



Hayi watched him standing up from his chair with his arrogant smirk on—which was really attractive to her eyes—before he walked through the aisle and finally arrived at the front side of the class, still with a smirk hanging on his beautiful face.



Hayi clasped her both hands on her lips, trying her best not to let out a stupid grin or to make a pitched squeal out of proudness to see his success. She knew he could make it though. She could see his hard work for this past four weeks and that was why she literally being washed by an overwhelming happiness that was causing tears to form on her eyes. She was already beyond the state of happiness.



"Ah—hello everyone," he grinned, causing the whole class to burst into laugh. "I always said I could get a good score if only I wasn't that lazy, right? Now I did prove it for you guys that nothing's really impossible."



Right. You're right—Hayi agreed inwardly, still smiling so wide behind her clasped hands.



"But guess I could do this because I have a very good motivation though," he added right after the commotion went down for a little, slowly forming a smirk down his face as he went on, "there's someone who promised me that she will appear in front of me once I passed this quiz."



In a flash, Hayi totally lost all her smile and blushing cheeks.



Her eyes slightly widened to hear what just he said, still asking herself if she misheard it or not.



And it looked like he realized her doubtful in some way.



"I'm waiting for her to come in front of me now because I've already passed the quiz and I really, really anticipate it," he said, gradually wandering his eyes through the classroom before he finally arrived at one point—where those brown-haired girl was sitting on her chair looking completely lost between startle and nervous.



And seeing her expression like that, he couldn't stand the urge to grin anymore.



Meanwhile Hayi felt her heart was gradually stopped from working, causing a sharp pain running throughout her chest once it finally stopped beating for a second, before it turned into an uncontrolable thumping in the end. In that moment, she could see her ownself deep inside his eyes—her ownself, alone, being watched by him without knowing what better to do and those kind of illusion didn't help but to grow more anxieties inside her head. If there's a super power that she could have at those very moment, she would totally choose the ability to disappear right away.



"I'll wait until she comes to me."





















It was suddenly already lunch break—four hours after Junhong announced his perfect score and three hours before the school's dismissal—and Hayi still hadn't talk to Junhong yet.



She tried to approach him for multiple times already—from when they accidentally met in the corridor to the moment he walked passed by her seat—but it was surprisingly much harder than what she thought. She couldn't even call his name through her lips without ended up getting trembled and that was way too impossible for her to come to him and said that she was the one who sent him sticky notes and later confessing her feelings instead. She couldn't do that.



She would never be brave enough to do such thing.



So, while feeling completely defeated, she quietly made her way into the library instead, trying to regain composure with the peaceful silence there albeit she knew that it would just worsen her sadness in some way.



And she was right though—she felt even worst when her brain slowly reminded her of all the things that happened on the fifth bookshelf from the back row, where her feelings ever bloomed and shattered at the same time.



Where she thought she might have a little chance to get closer to him.



She didn't remember how but in a second, she found herself already holding those white-covered book by her hands, flipping over the pages one by one until she arrived at the page 27, where a yellow sticky note was neatly glued on the upper side of the page, the one that she hadn't read before.



"Please don't avoid me."



Ah—Hayi did remember.



It must be written by him after she accidentally got caught by him week ago, and he must wrote it because she didn't go to the library and read his reply anymore after those thing occured. She couldn't believe that he was waiting for her and even put on a new sticky note just in case she finally came and looked for the book one day—although it was pretty obvious that she didn't want to come again.



And this kind of little thing always success to find a way into the deep of her heart, leaving nothing for her to feel but touched.



Walking towards the reading corner, she took a ballpoint from the table before finally ran the point slowly under his handwriting—and she kept doing it despite there's actually no chance for it to be read by him somehow. She just really want to let him know her feelings, to make him know that she never really wanted to avoid him at the first place.



She wished her feelings would be deliver to him through this sticky note.



"Please don't avoid me."


"Choi Junhong, can I like you?"

























The day was finally over.



All of the students were happily packing their stuffs and discussing about where to have fun after such a tiring day meanwhile Hayi was just silently collecting the books into her backpack, not showing any expression besides her signature cold face on.



It was when she finally done and hung the backpack on her shoulders that she discreetly took a glance of Junhong that was still talking with his friends on his chair, didn't look like going to leave soon at all. She pursed her lips to swallow back all the disappoinment that was caused by her own immaturity before walking away from her chair—keep walking farther and farther until she finally got inside the undercrowded bus and taking the seat beside the window on the back row while letting a heavy sigh to escape her parted lips.



Her eyes stared outside the window to see the bloomed pink-coloured flowers were already taking almost every part of the trees and sidewalk without her realized days before—and they looked stunningly beautiful as if the whole Seoul was now in love—while her heart was broken alone instead.



She wiped her eyes with the back of her right hand when the bus was finally moving forward, causing her to look into the seat in front of her where a dark brown head was obviously sticking out over the seat. Hayi frowned a little, still staring at those short hair while cluelessly thinking, "this person must be really tall."



And, it finally hit her after a couple beats of silence passed by.



Dark brown hair, tall—and he was wearing the uniform from the same school as hers.



It couldn't be true.



It was Choi Junhong.



Hayi leant against her seat in an uncomfortable position, trying her best not to make a sound that could attract his attention on her. She believed he didn't know she was inside the bus too because if he did see her earlier, he would have immediately leave instead. He must be really upset that she was still stubborn enough to not admit the things she has done and there was literally no way for him to act nicely in front of her again.



No way.



It took almost a minute after Hayi wordlessly fixed herself on those awkward position before suddenly, out of blues, she saw him slamming the window lightly, causing her to flinch a little out of surprise. Once his hand slowly went down and going back to his side, Hayi just realized that there was already a yellow sticky note glued into the window—which was the reason of why her heart getting quicken without her being able to control.



Hesitantly, she took the note from the window and brought it closer to her to read what was written there for her, still with her heart thumping quickly inside her chest.



"You didn't fulfil your promise.



Hayi's eyes slowly softened to read his writing, somehow feeling so much guilty to know that he was literally waiting for her since then. She was really sorry for him though—that he had to get tangled with a lame girl like her and had to bear with all of her indiscreetness—actually, she did feel sorry of everything that she has done. She really did.



With her own sticky note, she wrote her reply and put it on the same place as he did before nervously watching him taking the note away and read it. She was only putting an "I'm sorry" down the note as the response though—hoping that he could feel her sincere apology with those two words somehow.



But unlike what she imagined, she watched him keep staring at the note for a very long time instead, like he wasn't able to understand what was written there and she began to wonder what happened inward. It was when she was about to lean forward a little to peek on him that he suddenly glued another note on the window, still didn't look back at her.



Hayi looked at his back for a while, chasing the little part of herself that wanted to see his face away before she finally took the sticky note again.



"I was really mad at you.


But not anymore after I went to the library on lunch break."




Red.



That was the only colour that filled the entire of her fluffy face.



She didn't even know whether to smile or to cry and ended up making a very weird expression instead—with her both teary eyes and deeply furrowed eyebrows completed by her hardly pressed lips that were hiding a smile behind as well. That was the only reason for her to feel grateful of the fact that he was sitting with his back facing her but strangely—she could see him lowered his head a little with the slightly trembled shoulders which clearly pointing out that he was laughing.



He was literally trying really hard to cover it up though.



Seeing those view made Hayi bit her lips to hold back the grin that was already so close to slip off her lips at any time yet right before she could calm herself down, he put another sticky note again.



"My answer is : yes


Yes, you can like me if you let me to like you too.


It sounds good, right?




There—a smile finally escaped her lips upon she read his messy handwriting that was containing a whole lot words that were way sweeter than sugar. Too sweet, to be honest. And she didn't have any idea how he could make her to be so happy in such a second.



In such a simple way—and it felt so much like a dream for her.



A very beautiful one.



Why don't you reply me?


Huh?




Hayi chuckled, taking a little time to think of what better to say before she came out with an honesty in the end. "I run out of sticky notes."



He quickly turned around with a surprise look by his face, perhaps he didn't expect her to talk first or he wasn't buying her "out-of-sticky-notes" reason instead. Whatever it may be—Hayi found herself smiling even wider as she finally could see his face, that close, without any burdening feels inside her chest again. Happiness was the only thing that owned herself at that time—filled her completely with its warmth without any limits.



And how she wondered if she was going to explode soon because of too much feels inside.



"What? Why don't you buy it more?" he complained, with slightly blushing cheeks—she could easily tell.



She cleared once, nervously, before responding, "I'm sorry."



With a timid smile, Junhong leant his back against the window while keep staring at blushing Hayi, hanging a sweet silence between them before saying, "I guess we don't need it anymore too."



Awkward laughter was lingering between the two before both of them looked away to stop their heart from making another loud noises inside.



And as Hayi looked outside the window for the second time and watching how the flowers beautifully bloomed around the city—she secretly told them that her heart was not broken.




She was in love as well.






***