04

The Sticky Affection


iRSdt3D.jpg




It had been a week since the last time Junhong wrote his answer on the note and never did he expect he would get no response from that girl afterwards.



A whole week felt too long and dull for him—and he even gradually lost his interest on studying those stupid Mathematics again and just regularly went to the library just to check if he finally got a new sticky note inside of the book or not. It was way too strange though if he really think about it. He never knew who was the person behind those anonymous sticky note and even never met her in real before as well but she could completely dominate both his heart and mind like this which was something that couldn't be perfectly accepted even by his own sanity.



It was so weird.



Yet he didn't know how to stop himself.



Those five in the afternoon after school dismissal, he finally decided to go to the library for one more time despite he already gave it a try on the lunch break before.



He just couldn't believe that she was really going to ignore him like this after the whole two weeks that they spent for exchanging those stupid sticky notes back and forth and right after he convinced his ownself that she must be a really good girl based on every plain answers that she gave him which leading him to ask for an encounter. That was just plain rude. To be honest.



Was meeting him felt too horrendous for her?



Or she was just feeling reluctant?



Or she was only thinking of him as a funny thing instead?



"Urgh," he groaned, suddenly, out of his own negative thoughts which successfully broke the deadly silence around down.



And completely broke someone's bravery down the hill too.



His eyebrows knitted when he vaguely heard some light steps were running away from nearby where he stood while as his eyes caught a slight glimpse of the shadow from behind the bookshelf, he realized she was standing on where those precious Mathematics book was always placed.



And it was seriously suspicious.



"Wait!" he called out loud, trying to catch up with her but all of the bookshelves between them were just too annoying to be true. He ran through the aisle, turned to the other side and wandered his eyes around—using every of his senses to look for her existence only to meet with a wall of disappoinment.



He heard the library's door was being forcely pushed from his back and judging from how quiet and empty the library was, he believed she had already left.



He was wordlessly rejected.



But too bad,



That was only his thoughts.



It was when he finally giving up and decided to leave that he saw a light brown head was hiding behind the bookshelf, with her back against it.



His eyes automatically narrowed as he walking onwards the bookshelf, still trying to figure out whether his suspicious was right or not—yet he actually didn't have to waste his time to do that.



"Please," she suddenly whispered, slightly trembling, "don't come near me."



Her voice was really weak, and somewhat filled with fearness which Junhong couldn't help but to feel his heart clutched a little. He didn't understand why, though.



The fact that she wanted to avoid him and even forbid him to see her was giving him such unpleasant feelings. It seemed like she really didn't mean every of their sticky notes talk.



And it hurted him so much.



"You are the one that sent me the sticky note, right?" he asked, now already standing behind where she stood by.



She didn't say anything.



"I want to see you," was all that he could say, after a couple beats of cold silence between them.



From between the books, Junhong could see her uneasily shifted her head, obviously showing that she didn't approve the idea.



"If your answer is no," he cleared his throat, already nervousness crawling into his chest. "Tell me the reason."



Junhong kept staring at her back, patiently waiting for her to answer which literally felt like forever. She really did think a lot just to answer him.



"I—" she paused, as well as Junhong's heart. "I'm not pretty."



Still, Junhong was still waiting for her further excuse but as soon as he realized it was her only reason to not letting him to see her—he couldn't hold back his smile.



"That's it?" he made sure, although he knew he wouldn't earn an answer. "What if I said I don't care about it?"



Silence again, but it felt warmer than before somehow.



"I actually don't care about it," he finally stated. "It's not fair for me, you know?"



Junhong almost laughed when he saw her accidentally turned her head a little but quickly looked at the front back as she realized he was actually standing just behind her. He pressed his lips together tightly to send back the laughter, as it finally replaced with a huge grin by his face.



"Uh—not-not fair?" she muttered, completely flustered.



"You said you see me everyday, right?" he remind her, teasingly. "While here I am, being forbid to see you even just once. Isn't it unfair?"



"You will regret it," she whispered, loud enough to be heard by him though.



"You shouldn't imagine my reaction by your own," he replied, bluntly.



And there another phase of silence between them, where he could only hear her soft yet unstable breathing from behind the bookshelf, the sound of the school's bell that was vaguely ringing outside the library—and the thumps of his own heart from inside his chest.



Loudly—getting louder and louder.



"But," she finally said something, still with hesitation all over her voice. "You do see me everyday."
















What did I just say?



Hayi really wanted to facepalm herself right after she told him such forbidden thing. There's no way he didn't know who she was now, after hearing her voice and probably seeing her hair—and she could only wish for a miracle that he apparently misheard what she just said a moment ago.



Which was immediately being rejected by fate.



"Are we on the same class?" he slowly asked.



She really wanted to run miles away from him now or simply had a sudden ability to just disappear from the earth at those very moment but she had to end what she started. Running away would never be a good solution.



"I'd better not to tell you," she finally replied, with her voice cracking thoroughly.



"What?" he muttered, completely being disgruntled.



Hayi felt her poor heart beating too fast that she was afraid if it could kill her somehow. Her biggest fearness now was if he could figure out who she was—and how she didn't want to see him freaked out or mad when he knew she was the one who sent him those disturbing sticky notes. She wasn't ready to be find out yet, and would never be—to be very honest.



So she didn't have any options left besides stopping all the things that she has done, and still remained unknown until they finally graduated from high school. It was only months to go—she believed she could make it through.



"I'm sorry," she whispered, trying her best not to cry that time. "I'm sorry to disturb you with my notes."



"No—" he denied, she could hear him letting out a small sigh before going on, "it's not a disturbance."



Fighting back the urge to cry and say thank you towards his kindness, Hayi closed her both eyes tightly while preparing herself to end everything. To end something that was actually never started.



"Please," she placed her right hand on her chest, feeling the painful thumps from inside her ribcage. "Just pretend nothing's ever happen. I'm begging you."