05

The Sticky Affection


nFFXBI2.jpg





Hayi literally returned to her normal life after those library incident.



She returned to her aloof, quiet, and nerd self back whose didn't have anything related to those random sticky notes thingy and just sticked into her books and lessons to learn.



She was finally going back into her old routine, fortunately.



Except one thing—the stares that was continually given by the great Choi Junhong since those library accident happened.



She thought she saw it wrong for multiple times before and just convinced herself that it was pure coincidence that was happening for one in a million chances but she was soon proved to be wrong. He was indeed looking—staring, exactly, at her. He did it in purpose and Hayi could tell it just from the way he stared at her from his seat for the whole day like there's nothing better to look at anymore.



And she didn't know what to feel right now.



Those Wednesday morning was where she had to collect the exercise books from the whole class to be given to their homeroom teacher, Mr. Lee, and she really just did it pure forsake of the teacher's command, to be honest. She didn't feel comfortable talking to a lot of people nor doing such burdening task remembering she was more likely a "loner" type in the class and no one would bother to hear her, she believed.



So, when she already stood in the front class while examining how noisy and uncontrollable the current situation was, she already predicted her failure somehow.



"P-please," she muttered, completely being ignored by the others. "P-please put your book here."



Her voice was totally getting sinked amidst the loudness of the class and being a coward as always, she could only wordlessly stood still on where she was, hoping that they would somehow figure out what was she up to later. Though, a little part of her feeling the sudden huge disappointment towards her ownself, that she didn't have such bravery to speak out loud her intention, and the fact that she was always being ignored and forgotten.



Those kind of strange emotion washed her away right before her eyes, and she decided to not do anything and just tilted her head down—waiting for someone to finally ask her what's happened rather than giving up herself to the sadness and crying like an idiot instead.



Albeit she knew it would never happen no matter what.



"Put your exercise book over here!"



Hayi actually didn't even need to look up to see who was talking out loud in front of her since she had already memorize his voice in the depth of her mind but she still looked up anyway, only to find her prediction was true.



It was Choi Junhong. With his back on her, saying every single thing that should have been done by her instead.



"Come on, put your book down here. We have to finish collect them before twelve!" he shouted, successfully captivating people's attention before he turned to look at her with a smile and said, "right?"



Hayi felt her ears suddenly becoming deaf, and a sharp buzzing was running throughout them to send an aching feeling into her head, causing her to unable to think straight about what was currently happened to her. She should have been blushed and stuttered so hard, perhaps already muttering some random words off her lips just to make herself becoming much embarassed but in fact, she didn't do any of those possibilities instead.



More than what she imagined—the fearness inside of her was finding its way to smoothly take the most part of her mind first, leaving nothing for her to feel but cowardice alone.



And as soon as she realized she has been defeated by the feelings, she immediately looked down at the floor again, not saying any single words as a response to him.



Yet she still could sense his stare on her somehow—the one that was mixed with coldness and wonders, painfully hitting her in the heart.



She didn't know how long she remained that way but sure it took long enough for him to tell her something in a sudden.



"It's completed," he muttered, slowly and filled with hesitancy. "I will give them to Mr. Lee."



No.



She didn't want to involve in his life any farther than this so she quickly looked at him back, suddenly having enough bravery to shout. "No! You don't need to."



She watched his smile gradually disappeared from his thin lips, later being replaced with confused and hurted looks that were being shown through his dark brown eyes, causing her to snap back into reality and realized what she just said to that guy.



And how she really wanted to wash his painful looks away that time.



"I—" she stuttered, nervously moving one step backward before going on, "I can do this alone."



Without waiting for his answer nor another beats to look at his reaction, she grabbed all the books into her arms in a second and ran away from him as fast as she could, totally not wanting any further talk with those guy. Though, however hard she tried not to look at him, she still managed to steal a quick glance at him a second before she ran away—and when she had already far enough from their class to decrease her speed and took the time to think, she realized something was going wrong.



The surprise look inside his eyes was too conspicuous for her to unable to read it and she wondered why did he put that kind of face instead.



Did she really hurt him with her words?



Or he wanted to say something before?



Or he got surprise of her weird behaviour instead?



So on, so on—she kept thinking of what and why inside her head, trying to figure out the reason of his reaction amidst the vague until suddenly it hit her on the head and she couldn't help but to gasp in total shock.



She was indeed a moron—brainless idiot, exactly.



A brainless idiot whose just realized that those Choi Junhong guy probably recognized her voice.




She believed he did recognize it.

















Choi Junhong was really curious about that Lee Hayi.



Her light brown hair was totally similar with those sticky note girl that he met a couple weeks ago yet looking at her from afar was not really helping him on finding out the answer. He finally decided to accost her days ago, with such reason of helping her out with her collecting books duty and when he just believed she wasn't the person behind those sticky note—something suspicious was suddenly coming at the very last second.



She had the exact similar voice as those sticky note girl.



Or not similar, to be honest. It's indeed her.



It was beyond surprising, much more than ridiculous—but after a moment of him finding out the truth, he realized there wasn't any anger inside of him.



Instead, he found himself staring more often at her—strangely, and he didn't know what's the reason still.



Perhaps he was only being fascinated by her "two-sided" behaviours.



Or he found her as an interesting person.



He didn't understand as well.



The only thing that he knew was, he didn't want her to avoid him like what she did lately.



Just it.



"Did you watch last night's drama? Oh my God, Lee Minho is really handsome!" Himchan squealed, suddenly, when three of them were walking down the corridor those lunch break.



Jongup looked at the taller, suspicions were displaying clearly from the way his eyes becoming narrow before he said, "hyung, are you—"



"I'm not gay, you s!" the elder blonde quickly denied right before being accused. "I just adore him, okay? In a brother way."



"Brother way? Seriously?" Jongup choked into a laugh, later losing the crack upon Himchan hit him on the head.



"If you really want me to be a gay, then I will turn into one for you," Himchan snapped, still looking full of discomposure.



"Euww sorry. Even if I were a gay, I won't put my standard that low," Jongup moved farther from Himchan, obviously.



Himchan glared at him, looking deeply offended. "Low??!! Don't you know I'm the most handsome student in this school??!"



"You are?" Jongup raised his eyebrows at him, later nudged Junhong whose been walking wordlessly beside him since then with his elbow. "Do you think he is handsome?"



Junhong nonchalantly turned to give a quick look at Himchan before muttering, "yes between apes."



Himchan's confident smile totally washed away upon hearing those tall guy's answer and it boiled him to death as Jongup laughed his head off in victory. "Wh-what?!! What the hell is wrong with you? You used to be on my side!!"



Junhong rolled his eyes on the two idiots beside him, totally not in a mood to join their twaddles. His mind was still busily thinking of Lee Hayi, still trying to figure out her true intention with those sticky notes thingy when suddenly, he heard someone was calling him from the back.



He turned around, finding Mr. Lee was looking at him from in front of the teacher's room with his hand swaying back and forth to ask him for coming closer to him. He frowned a little, wondering whether he did something wrong or not before while walking towards the teacher, leaving both Himchan and Jongup dumbfounded behind. It was until he came closer to Mr. Lee that he realized that he was holding a stack of books by his arm—and he could somehow know that they were from his class.



"Aigoo, can I take a little time of yours? Please?" Mr. Lee asked in a wide grin, obviously giving horrendous feeling to the veins.



"Yes, what can I do, saem?" Junhong slowly replied.



"Here," he gave him all the books, and when Junhong finally took all of them in a steady position, he went on, "please divide out this books to your friends. I have an important meeting to be attended so I really rely on you."



Junhong stared at the books by his hands for a short moment before put his eyes on the forty-year-old man in front of him back. "Yes, I understand. You can count on me."



After an insincere "thank you" and "you're welcome", Junhong walked towards his friends back while flipping over the books one by one in attempt to find something which was looking so much weird for both Himchan and Jongup. The two exchanged look for a moment, trying to throw a question through their eyes to each others before Himchan finally took the guts to ask.



"What are you doing?" he asked the taller, full of hesitancy.



"Ah!" Junhong suddenly exclaimed, causing the two to move backward in surprisement. "I got it."



"What—" Himchan, once again, being cut off from his words when Junhong hand over all the books to him, out of blues, yet before Himchan could let out a long list of cursing that he learnt from years ago, he realized that Junhong didn't give him all the books.



He actually took one with him.



"Please," Junhong said, slowly and whole-heartedly—they could easily tell. "Help me just for this time."


















Lunch break was finally over, and guess Hayi had to have her long day with those guy's eyes on her again.



She jogged along the corridor, already witted by those thoughts alone—where she had to pretend to not realize his stare nor admitting that she was indeed the one that was sending him sticky note. She felt an unbearable guilty inward, yet she couldn't really do much about it. She believed it was the best afterall. He deserved someone prettier, and of course way better than her.



Someone that wasn't a coward like what she was.



She walked inside the class and quietly got into her seat, later carefully looked around to see that Himchan was currently dividing out the exercise books to the other classmates which was really weird since he wasn't even in the same class with her to do such task. Though, she didn't really think much about it. That guy was really popular around the school and had so many friends in every classes so it wasn't that impossible at all, to be honest.



Yet the only thing that got into her nerves was her fear that Himchan might not know who she was—and those sudden anxiety brought her to look up again only to make sure hers was still with that blonde guy, not inside the trashbin or the teacher's desk instead.



Her fearness grew bigger and finally hit the peak when she watched Himchan was already got to the last book in his hand. He seemed a little lost to find the owner of the book as he kept wandering around the classroom in cluelessness back and forth and Hayi totally believed it was hers. A couple beats of blowing a soft sigh, she had already prepared herself to stand up and went to get her book from him when suddenly, she saw him smiling at one of her classmates and gave those petite girl the book instead while throwing some jokes and teases to make the girl blushed in nervous.



Meanwhile, Hayi's jaw slowly dropped down—as her biggest fearness was finally coming true.



Her book was probably being thrown away to the trashbin already. Yes—it must be that way.



She tried to collect herself back and heavily stood up from her seat to look for the trashbin placed outside of the class when in a flash, someone lightly hit her head from the back.



With a book.



She turned, and almost got a heartattack when she found Junhong was suddenly standing behind her, with a forceful flat expression by his face.



No words could successfully slipped off her parted lips that time.



And there's no relevant words could describe her feelings on those five seconds of their eyes meeting either.



Between the deep silence, he hit her head with the book again—but this time, he left it stayed still on her head. "That's yours, Lee Hayi."



Hayi was still in utter shock that she couldn't say anything and just watched him walking away into his seat instead. He was avoiding her stare, of course, but from the edge of his ears alone, Hayi could easily tell that he was blushing. Really hard.



And she believed she was the same.



She sat down on her chair back and took the book from her head as she flipped over the pages to see the grade she got from Mr. Lee but her poor heart stopped for a second once again the moment she found a bright yellow sticky note was plestered on the upper corner of the page.



There's laying a messy handwriting, medium size one, that she used to read everyday since weeks ago—the super ugly handwriting that she missed to the point where she almost cried to finally see it again after awhile.



She turned to him again, and now, he wasn't hiding his face under his arms anymore.



He rested his chin on his crossed arms over the table, staring at her from afar with his pursed lips that was obviously holding back a smile behind.



And she was right.



He was smiling in the end.



A timid, and sincere one, that was giving much accentuation to his cute dimple and his pair of bright eyes,



the beautiful one—that was causing her to smile as well, without her knowing.





"I will pass the quiz.


I promise you, Lee Hayi."