01

The Sticky Affection


OwoNPXf.jpg




Loving someone must be the most beautiful moment that one could ever had.





The feelings of your cheeks getting burned, your fingertips becoming colder, the thumping of your heartbeats that would send such weird pulses through your veins, some butterflies in your stomach and a shy smile that won't leave your face no matter what—you can only experience this things when you are in love.



Even if you just experienced it by your own, without the one that you loved by your side.



Just like how Lee Hayi felt at those very moment where she secretly stared at her classmate that was sitting on the back row with a bunch of his friends surrounding his desk.



It was Choi Junhong—her classmate since two years ago, when they just got into the same senior high school.



He got a pair of bright eyes, perfect fair pale skin, white small baby-like teeth, prominent jawline, and a very, very tall and skinny body. Though, in short, everything about him was perfect for Hayi.



He didn't look like a bad person at all yet his scores were indeed always being below average since he was more into art than formal education, she guessed. The reason why she knew about his interest was because she ever saw him practicing alone in their school's dance studio and he was really good on it. He looked totally shining when he was dancing—and she thought that was the time when she realized her feelings towards that guy.



And thinking about it made her blushing again, causing her to let out a silent squeal and quickly covered her face with the textbook back.



Yes. She couldn't let anyone knows about her feelings.



Why?



Because she was completely on the opposite brink from Choi Junhong.



She wasn't a bright person like him, nor having any special ability to connect herself with other friends in her class and to make it worst, she didn't have a pretty face to make herself stood out from the others. Instead, she was the type of girl that you would find sitting on the corner of the classroom alone, sometimes even being invisible between the others. To make it shorter and clearer, she was definitely a silent and loner type, which ninety-nine-percent of the time people would suspect her as a nerd or amazingly smart student which was totally wrong.



She was an average girl with average score and below average face.



Simple enough to be imagine, right?



And she fully realized that a guy like him would never notice someone like her.



That was why, she'd prefer to hide her feelings to her own rather than putting on a thick skin and hurted her ownself in the end.



She knew she would never be able to get him afterall.



And that's totally fine for her.
















"Choi Junhong, as expected, you got some red marks again," Mr. Kim said, when Junhong was walking towards his table to receive his final test scores. "If you continue being like this, I'm afraid you won't be able to get into college next year."



Hayi watched him having a short moment to see the scores by his own first, before he flashed a grin to the teacher as a sign that he didn't care that much.



"I'll study harder," he playfully replied just before he turned around to get back to his seat.



Hayi still had her eyes on him even until he got back to his seat and began chatting with his seatmate, clearly showing his ignorance to the class and she began why did he have to risk his education like that. As much as she liked to see him shining on the stage, she didn't want him to fail on his study either—and that's why, she suddenly felt worry over his attitude.



But she wasn't a right person to tell him about that.



She wished Mr. Kim would be more strict to him this time.



And it might be her lucky day. Magically.



"Hey, you won't pass the test with that kind of scores!" Mr. Kim raised his voice, pointing directly at Junhong. "If you still don't want to change, we will definitely meet again next year!"



Junhong twitched his lips, getting annoyed at the teacher but somehow looked cute for Hayi. "So what do you expect from me?"



"I'll give you a quiz next month to help your future," Mr. Kim said, flipping over the papers to see his schedule. "Make sure you really study hard or else I won't help you anymore."




















"Ah—so annoying!"



Hayi, using her textbook to hide her face again, watched Junhong nagged about his life just a moment after Mr. Kim's lesson was over to his friends that were all laughing at his misery. He looked totally vexed up—and Hayi could easily tell it just from looking at how his eyebrows deeply frowned and the way his voice came out lower than normally. She had been watching over him for too long to know about that little things.



"Well, be thankful because Mr. Kim still give you a chance though," one of his friend, Moon Jongup—if she wasn't wrong, tried to encourage him while keep sticking his eyes on his phone screen.



"It's not like I will pass the quiz either," Junhong rolled his eyes, totally not into the idea.



While Hayi pouted behind the book to see his low self-esteem. He should have gave it a try first before judging his ownself.



"That's why he gives you one month to study!" Himchan chuckled, "he's being nice enough to you."



Yes, he's right, Junhong. Don't give up!—Hayi furiously screamed inwardly.



Junhong tilted his head to the right side a little, with only small frowns left. "Do you want to teach me?"



Himchan blinked his eyes, completely disbelief that he was being asked that thing. "Pardon?"



"I need someone to teach me! I'm already too lost to understand it by my own!" he reasoned, raising his voice in frustation.



"I passed the test with very minimum score thank you very much," Himchan quickly replied.



Junhong scoffed, yet he didn't say anything and just turned to Jongup for a help.



"What?" Jongup looked at him back, hands still busily tapping on his phone screen. "I cheated during test if you don't know about it."



"How can I befriend with only stupid people, seriously?" Junhong helplessly groaned, shaking his head in disbelief.



"Hey, only stupid person that could befriend with another stupid person," Himchan blabbered, making a face at the taller. "It's not like you don't have a smart classmate to help you."



Hearing that suggestion made Junhong wandered his eyes around the classroom, wanting to see if he had a smart friend to help him.



Until his eyes encountered with Hayi's from above the book.



And how that little girl felt like she got a sudden heartattack in that one short moment before she quickly hid behind her book again.



She was blushing really hard and felt her fingers stuttered a little moreover when she didn't hear their talk anymore. She began wondering if he was going to ask for her help, since her appearance was so close to be called a nerd and just thinking about it already made her heart skipped a beat inside her ribcage.



What should I do, what should I do?—she squealed inside her head, suddenly feeling the urge to just disappear instead.



But later, she heard his sigh from afar, showing that he didn't come to her way.



"I don't know," he shrugged, finally giving up.



"Then why don't you help your ownself?" Jongup chimed back into their talk, now already getting rid off his phone. "Library is a good friend to start."



Hayi peeked from behind her book again, finding out that guy was cringed in disgust to hear that place name.



"Yes, Jongup's right. If you have difficulties on understanding the textbook, you can look for other references on library," Himchan agreed, without thinking much. "We have more than 9,000 books in our school's library."



Junhong narrowed his eyes, wondering. "Did you count them by your own?"



"I read it in our school's official site, please," he rolled his eyes, giving a how-can-you-don't-know-about-it looks.



"But I don't know how to start," Junhong seemed confused. "There's too many books there."



"Start from something that you really find difficult first," Himchan bit his lips before going on, "like Math? Isn't your Math score always being the worst one?"



Junhong nodded, couldn't agree more. "Well, I'll try."



"When will you start it?" Jongup curiously asked, with a wide grin placed by his face.



And Hayi quickly wore her ears two times larger than before.



"Maybe everyday after school," he sighed, leaning against his chair while staring at his friends. "Starts from tomorrow."





















"Maybe everyday after school starts from tomorrow."




Thanks God I heard it—Hayi thought, giggling softly as she arrived at the library faster than him the day after she eavesdropping Junhong's talk with his friends.




The reason why she came to the library too was because she wanted to see him longer, and to see how hard he worked to be able to pass the quiz but as soon as she arrived there—she had another plan instead.



She wanted to help him. Even just a little.



Leading her legs to the Math section, she carefully read every single book names that were neatly placed in such perfect alignment there before a smile appeared across her face as soon as she found what she was looking for.



A basic learning of Mathematics book for senior high school student.



She heard Himchan suggested him to try learning the basic first since he was already ruined it from the beginning and from the way Hayi saw it, Junhong would be confused and just picked every single basic books that their library had and borrowed them to be read at home.



She wished what she believed was right though.



She took out the book from between the others and flipped over the pages to find a perfect place to do her mission.



Once she arrived at page 27, she held them opened with her left hand while her other hand was slipping inside her backpack to find a sticky note and a black ballpoint. She torned those small yellow piece of note and glued it into the page, making sure it had been perfectly sticked before opening her ballpoint's cap.



Her heart suddenly beat so fast as she tried to come up with what's better to be written there, somehow feeling nervous if he really ended up finding the note. But she shoved the feelings aside and convinced her ownself that it wouldn't matter at all. He would never know who wrote it and there's no way he could find it out either.



Yes. She didn't have to feel rigid.



That was the only way for her to encourage the person that she loved, to let him know that there's someone that's really care about him. She only had this rare chance to be a little closer to him.



And she began writing down the note, plestering a smile on her face while wondering how would he react when he found the note.



How she wished she could see his reaction with her own eyes.

















From behind the book shelf, Hayi peeked over the books to see Junhong was indeed having hard times to choose the right one to be borrowed, completely lost between the hundred Mathematics books there.



Hayi felt her heart almost dropped to her stomach when his hand slowly moving closer to the shelf, running his fingers across the books still in hesitancy. Her eyes were becoming wider and wider as he began taking out some books from the shelf, totally being random since she didn't see him reading its title first which causing her to clench her hands in nervous.



Didn't know why, she really wanted to turn back the time and cancelled her dumb plan to put those stupid note on those book. Either because she was afraid if he might not be happy about it or because she didn't want him to find out about her existence—she just didn't think what she has done was right. But she knew everything couldn't be reset as soon as she saw him taking those white covered book out of the shelf, putting it on the top of the other books that he chose before.



Her jaw dropped. Her heartbeat stopped.



She couldn't believe it at all.



Even until he walked away from the aisle and went out of the library—she still stunned there alone, trying to compose what had already happened a moment ago.



"Oh my God," she muttered to herself, covering her blushing puffy cheeks with her cold hands. "What just I did?"


















"AAHHH!!! Screw this!!" Junhong groaned, blaming at his computer screen that's showing a huge "Game Over".



He his upper lips while staring at the screen, figuring out how to win the level for a moment before he got a sudden brilliant idea coming across his head. "Ah, I know it. Get ready you ."



He was about to reach for the mouse and played another round again when his eyes saw a stack of Mathematics books on the edge of his table, somehow looking like waiting for him to touch and read them. As much as he wanted to ignore their forces, he finally gave up after remembering Mr. Kim's words yesterday and switched off the computer while blowing a heavy sigh.



"Alright. Let's get started," he speaked to himself before pushing his chair into the study desk, preparing all of his stuffs there before half-heartedly took the first book from the stack.



He flipped over the cover, already get bored just by reading its title yet he forced his ownself to at least give it a try first. He went to the next page, writing down the formulas into his notebook to be memorize later while adding some extra notes that he got from re-reading the problems, finding out that it wasn't that bad actually—just pretty boring and tiring.



He just got into the fifth page of the book when he already lost all of his interest, slumping down his head over the book while trying to give his brain a rest. He thought he had completed a lot for the whole hour but his excitement went down the hill as he realized he still had around 100 pages left to be learned. And it automatically made him groaned in total pain.



"This can't be real," he muttered while flipping all of the pages with his thumb, giving a quick view to the next chapters that he had to learn later yet he frowned a little when he felt like he saw something placed between the white papers in the process.



He flipped over the pages again, now with a little slower pace and he quickly held the book opened when he got into the page 27, where a yellow sticky note was being glued on the page.



A bunch of simplified formulas were written on the upper side of the small note, causing him to suspect that someone must forgot to take it out before returning the book until his eyes stopped at the lower side of the note—where he found himself surprised of what was neatly written there.




Choi Junhong, good luck!




"What is this?" he frowned, re-read the words over and over again to make sure it was indeed directed to him.



Yet he didn't know who's handwriting it was.



He never saw that kind of handwriting before yet the fact that those person knew he was currently working hard for the quiz and also his plan to start off from the basic learning clearly showing that the person must be someone that's really close to him—or in the same class with him, at least.



It must be a little creepy to get such note, he knew. But he couldn't ignore those person's kindness towards him to share such a very useful formulas which looked like a personal invention as well. He had to do something—but how?



He glanced around his table, trying to think of what better to do until he got an amazing idea once his eyes caught an old unused sticky note placed inside his stationery tube.



He knew what he could do to that nice stranger.




















Does he already find out my note?—Hayi wondered, as soon as she just arrived in the classroom and saw Junhong's chair still remained empty.



She tilted her head down as she walked into her chair, still with a hundred questions lingered on her mind when suddenly, she heard his laughter coming closer to the classroom. She looked into the door, watching him walked inside the room while talking to Himchan but for the first time happening, she didn't look at their way to see Junhong's face.



Her eyes totally fixed on those white covered book that he held on his hand—which turned out to be those Mathematics book that she used to stick the note the day before.



And she found herself badly panicked inward.



Oh my God, does he already know about it? Does he mad? Does he know I'm behind all of it? Will he report the matter to the librarian?




Just having those kind of thoughts already made her legs getting weaker and weaker. She was really curious about what would he do to her sticky note but in the other side, she wasn't ready to be found by him either. She was literally standing on the brink.



And how she really wanted to jump off the cliff right away.




















Just like yesterday, Hayi arrived at the library faster than Junhong did.



She already hid behind the book shelf next to the Mathematics section, just so she could grab the book away once the librarian put it back in the order.



It wasn't that long until she heard the library's door was being opened, and she found out that it was Choi Junhong coming inside with those book on his hand.



She was literally screaming inward. She didn't expect her suspection was going to be right at all.



She watched him talking to the librarian for a while before he returned the book to her, saying something again when she asked him a question before he turned around and left right away.



Hayi's poor heart had been hardly thumping since then, even worser when she found the librarian was coming out from her table, making her way to the Mathematics section to put the book on the shelf back.



Battling against her own fearness, Hayi had to take a little time to adjust her own emotions before she began walking out from the aisle. With such quick steps, she moved closer to where those book being placed with her signature uneasy face on, knowing she had to take out and opened the book no matter what.



Finally, with her breathing being held, she reached for the book and pulled it out from the ranks with her hand that was already as cold as ice.



She slightly flipped the lower edge side of the book to find page 27, and it wasn't that difficult at all until she had to throw her head back in mixed feelings since she wasn't ready yet.



She gulped once before slowly looked down the book back, lifting the front side of the book up to see a sticky note was glued into the page, causing her to drop her jaw in surprisement.



It wasn't hers. It was a new sticky note. With a bad handwriting on the center side.



She couldn't believe that it was really happening.



She didn't expect it all.








That Choi Junhong would answer her sticky note with a sticky note as well.





Who are you?