Chapter II: Kyungri x Hyemi

9 Muses Sappy Love Stories

When I saw you, I fell in love. And you smiled, because you knew.

____________

 

It was a hot afternoon when Sungah arrived at her home, a shared house where she'd been living with four other girls from same university. She took off her shoes and placed it in the rack, then plopped herself down on the couch beside Sera and Hyemi who already occupied it. Holding the cushion, she closed her eyes for a while and allowed herself to relax a bit. Freaking heated weather these past week had been doubled her suffers from daily activities such as class and assignments.
"What happened to her?" Sungah pointed to Kyungri who seemed to be engulfed with dark gloomy aura, sitting on the corner of the room near a window while staring at magazine.
"Don't mind her.. She really wanted patbingsoo, but we ran out of money. When she was about to withdraw some cash the ATM machine swallowed her card." Sera answered, didn't even bother to look away from her novel.
"Well, she walked more than 15 minutes in 30 degrees hot weather then ended up broke and no patbingsoo.. I can understand her." Came a nonchalant reply from Hyemi.
"Because you are equally stubborn as her. I bet you'll have that same scowl too if it was you." The oldest girl rolled her eyes then laugh. "Sometimes I think you two are really match made in heaven."

 

"Girls, we got invitation!" Sam announced, waving her phone enthusiastically as she got out from her room.
Right after the tall girl sat down on the couch, everyone except Kyungri gathered surrounding her, curiously peeking at the screen.
"Do you remember our senior, Rana? Erin just texted me that she is getting married in a month!"
The whole room filled with surprised gasps and squeals.
"It's so enviable! I wanna get married too..." Sungah sighed, hands clasped in her chest and expression turned dramatic. "My prince where are you.. Please come soon and take me!"
Another new message sent to Sam's phone with a 'ding' sound.
"Look it's them in bride and bridesmaid gown!" Sam showed her phone screen and everyone turned into another round of 'Aawww!' and 'So pretty!' wails.
"Outdoor wedding would be awesome! I want to hold my ceremony in a beautiful garden or something like that..."
"All of you should be my bridesmaids on my wedding day!"


"I think what's most important is the marriage and not wedding.." The words slipped before Hyemi could stop . Suddenly it was silent, all three pair of eyes turned at her and now Hyemi regretted why did she say such things.
"Ooh.. Our little Hyemi actually think about such a mature things too!" Everyone grinned at her.
"My daughter is a big girl now!" Sera exlclaimed proudly, patting her head.
"No!" The short haired girl squeaked, cheeks slowly getting red. "I mean, most girls surely have ever pictured about how they would have a family! Don't you all have some imagination too?"
"I have! When I get married and have kids, I'd love to be stay at home housewife. I want my family to eat healthy handmade cookings everyday. And I want two children! I want to live away from bustling big city. Somewhere with natural space and kids can play around on field, catching bugs and frogs.. And.. And.."
"Yeah yeah we already knew it by heart, omma."
"I love a big happy family, so when me and Erin get married we will adopt three kids! Two boys and the youngest is a girl.. They will be cutest and funniest babies like their parents!" Sam said with excitement.
"You mean most silly and craziest mini Erins.."
"And the idea of living in the smaller city actually sounds good!" She ignored Sungah. "I wanna teach my children how to ride bike.."
"Aah you can be my neighbor, Sam!"
While everyone still completely engrossed in Sera and Sam's imagination, Hyemi took a brief glance at her best friend, Kyungri, who still ignorant as ever though the room was filled by loud chatters. Actually it wasn't long ago since she finally able to comprehend the weird fluttering feelings she had towards the one year older girl, and Hyemi was certain they had passed the friendship and sisterhood levels. Deep inside she hoped she could be as bold and open as Sam and Erin about their preference, but even without say anything or such lovey dovey skinship like them, she could feel herself and Kyungri understand each other so well.
'Match made in heaven..'
She remembered Sera's comment from earlier. Sometimes the other also said same thing about her and her classmate, Minha, but it wasn't the same, and never made her blush madly like this.


"What about you?" Sungah poked the youngest and her eyes widened in alarm upon realizing everyone's attention now turned back to her.
"Me? Uh.. I'm not sure.." Hyemi's mind quickly rambled to find something, anything, to change the topic of their conversation. "Do we still have ice cream?"
"Don't try to run, Pyo, you said it yourself everyone have their ideal family.."
Once again her gaze trailed to the corner where Kyungri was sitting. Still no sign that she had been listening to them. "Ugh okay.." Hyemi let out defeated sigh and tried to keep her voice as low as possible.

 

Wow.. Some months of falling in love and now I'm thinking about having family with her. We're not even official yet.

 

"Same like Sera unnie I think small family with two kids would be perfect.." Her mind started running to an older version of herself and Kyungri playing around in their own home with a cute little daughter. It wasn't difficult picturing the scene since the long haired brunette often showed videos of her playing with her niece to them lately.
"I'd like to learn cooking, everyone should have dinner together every night so we can have proper family time. Once in a while we would go out to nice restaurants, eat patbingsoo or watching movies just like when we're dating now. Both of us love singing, I want to have a piano in our house, and we would teach our children to sing and play music instruments."
Absorbed in her own world, Hyemi forgot about her audiences that were now exchanging glances at each other, wondering if they had same vision of this 'partner' in Hyemi's story.
"Ah! Speaking about natural environment, we also love sea! I wonder if she maybe will take us to live back in her hometown, because Busan have beautiful beach.."
The whole room fell into stupor.
"Uh.. I mean.. I.. Oh Sera unnie didn't you tell us gi.. boys from Busan are gorgeous? That's why I imagined his hometown is there.." Hyemi stuttered.
"No. I don't really remember anything beside my childhood there, I spent more than half of my life overseas and in Seoul."
"............"
Hyemi opened and closed , brain couldn't find something make sense and she wished right now she could just dig a hole on the floor, deep down to the center of the earth where no one would stare into her embarassed soul.
"It's okay, your idea sounds great. Beach in Busan indeed is beautiful." Sam was the first one to commented, somehow tried to sound not too excited.
"Sea is best place in the world." Sungah nodded. "Now, I'm planning to eat as much ice cream as I can, which probably means all we have in the fridge. Try to stop me if you can.."
She ran to the kitchen followed by Sam who kept protesting that she was the one who bought ice cream and Sungah already ate half of them yesterday.
"As the mother of us all, I approve your choice of... uhm, life plan." Sera tapped Hyemi's shoulder then sat up and went to prevent a disaster called 'empty fridge' happened again in their home.

 

"Hahaha finally! I've always had a hunch about them and turned out it's true!"
"Yeah guess we've knew it all along!"
Hyemi shook her head listening to her unnies voice heard from their kitchen. But suddenly the other sound of someone walked and threw magazine to the table from behind her froze the short haired girl.

 

No, she wasn't listening. Was she? She probably just going to eat something too.

 

Kyungri approached towards the couch now. To her. The older girl slightly squatted down, leaning forward and placed her hands on either sides of Hyemi's head. They were now face to face, every single drop of her blood rushed to face as she looked away from Kyungri's stare.
"I'm the one who told you.."
"H.. Huh?"
"I'm the one who told you, that Busan has best beaches in this country. And I am the most gorgeous girl you'd ever find there. Or everywhere. So don't look for anybody else."
Kyungri's expression turned soft as she smiled. Not foolish sly smirk she usually made whenever she's bragging about herself, but a warm smile with loving gaze. Just like that it brought down the nervous tension inside Hyemi, giving her courage to look at her best friend's eyes.

 

Oh.
Apparently, she heard everything.
And she understands.

 

"Wanna go on a date this weekend? There's a movie I want to see.."
"Yes!"
"Great. Now let's join them before we miss all the ice cream.." She pulled Hyemi from comfy couch. As the younger girl got up Kyungri quickly pecked her on the lips, froze her for seconds before beaming radiantly and showing cute snaggletooth.
Two of them then walked hand in hand to the kitchen, where all their friend already waiting with loud cheer and applause.