The Months

A Bun in the Oven: ABITO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE THIRD MONTH

 

“What are these?” Jiyong raised his eyebrows, questioning Seunghyun.

“Your dinner.”

“But they are all salad and…fruits.”

“Anything wrong with it?”

“Yeah. They are all salad and fruits."

“So?”

“And you’re eating that.” Jiyong pointed to Seunghyun’s plate. He swallowed hard at the sight of a very mouth-watering slice of steak, garnished with black pepper sauce and mushrooms.

“I’m not pregnant. So I can eat whatever I want.”

“I can too. The doctor said I-”

“Well the doctor is not the father, now is he? So you,” Seunghyun pointed a finger to the flustered Jiyong, “are going to listen to me.”

“But I’d still be hungry even after I eat all these.” Jiyong played the puppy-eyes card.

“Then try to eat and finish everything and then we’ll see after that.”

“Well..” Jiyong batted his eyelashes, “I think the baby wants to eat steak. Can the baby have some steak, daddy?”

Seunghyun paused. Jiyong knew he was going to win this one. He leaned forward, propping his chin with his palm, still batting his eyelashes.

“Can we have some?” Jiyong nudged Seunghyun with his toes under the table. “Please, daddy..”

“Tsk.” Seunghyun, 0. Jiyong, 1. “Just this once.”

 

 

THE FOURTH MONTH

 

“Jihyun sounds nice.”

“I think that’s kinda tacky. It’s obviously the combination of our names.”

“No, it’s not tacky. It’s cute. And I think Jihyun is uni.”

“How about Seungyong?”

“No..” Jiyong scrunched up his nose, “it doesn’t sound right, it doesn’t flow.”

“Yeah, I agree. But, I’ve always liked the name Sarang, though.”

“Why? Is she your ex-girlfriend?” Jiyong asked teasingly.

“No.” Seunghyun rolled his eyes. “Sarang sounds very pretty and very feminine. Like a princess. And also the fact that the word means 'love' is the grandest thing.”

“But we’re not sure if it’s a girl or a boy yet.”

“I thought the doctor said it’s a girl?”

“Yeah, but from what I read, the gender could change even towards the 6th or 7th month.”

Seunghyun scratched his head. “How long are we now?”

“Four months..”

“Oh..” Seunghyun puckered his lips, “but that’s fine. We can still choose one name for a boy and one name for a girl.”

“I’m still gonna go with Jihyun, because it’s uni.”

“Choi Jihyun..” Seunghyun muttered the name to get the feel of it.

“What do you mean Choi Jihyun??"

“What else is it going to be?”

"Kwon Jihyun.”

Seunghyun snorted. “That doesn’t make any sense.”

“Why not? I’m carrying the baby, so it should be Kwon Jihyun.”

“But who’s the daddy?”

Jiyong glared. “Okay, let’s put it like this. If it’s a girl, we’ll go with Kwon. If it’s a boy, we’ll go with Choi.”

“It’s not open for negotiation. I’m the daddy so it’s going to be a Choi.”

“Fine. I’ll stop calling you daddy then.”

Seunghyun scoffed. “So it’s settled then. Choi Jihyun. Because I know you won’t stop calling me daddy.”

“Touché.” Jiyong pulled an exaggerated pout, “But can we maybe..use hyphen?”

“You mean Choi-Kwon or Kwon-Choi Jihyun?"

“Yeah. No?”

“Of course, no! Who uses hyphen for a Korean family name?”

“Fine. My offer is still open; Kwon for a girl and Choi for a boy.”

“And then what? If this one is a girl and the next one is a boy, are they going to have different family names?”

"The next one?"

“Well..” Seunghyun blushed, “we could at least have two, couldn’t we?”

"At least two?"

“Okay, two. Just two.”

“You love being a daddy, now don’t you?” Jiyong couldn’t help but smile.

Seunghyun huffed a nervous laugh, “I guess..”

“Good to know.” Jiyong smiled wider.

 

 

THE FIFTH MONTH

 

“I want donuts. I wanna eat donuts.” Jiyong swallowed his crave. “Or something sweet and buttery. Butterscotch! I want butterscotch.”

Seunghyun sighed in the dark. “We don’t have donuts or butterscotch.”

“Okay, let me rephrase that; I want you to go and buy me some donuts. Or butterscotch. Go. Quick!” Jiyong shoved the elder towards the edge of the bed.

Seunghyun let out an irritated grunt. “I’d be happy to get you some donuts and butterscotch.”

“So..?” Jiyong gestured his hands towards the door.

“It’s three in the morning. You’re gonna have to wait at least four more hours for the donut kiosk to open for breakfast.”

Jiyong huffed. “I thought you always have some candy stashed somewhere in the house.”

“I did. Until one day, a burglar, with excessively ridiculous cravings, broke into my house and hork them down his throat.”

“I did not!”

“Who says it was you?” Seunghyun his other side to face Jiyong, “Now go back to sleep and we’ll go get donuts for breakfast later.”

 

 

THE SIXTH MONTH

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter