The Baby's Here

A Bun in the Oven: ABITO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After he made sure that everything was in place and that everything had settled down, Seunghyun approached the hospital bed where Jiyong was lying--looking tired and sleepy--and sat next to him.

"I'm going home to freshen up a bit, okay?" Seunghyun whispered, "I'll be back in an hour." He carded his fingers through Jiyong's hair and traced down to caress the cheek.

Jiyong looked up to Seunghyun and nodded slightly, nuzzling into Seunghyun's palm, smiling lazily. "It’s okay if you want to rest at home, too. I'll be fine here."

"No way I’m leaving you alone. If I don't feel like I need a shower right now, I wouldn't even leave this room."

"Silly," Jiyong muttered behind another smile, "I'm not alone," and glanced at the cart next to the bed. The little bundle of joy--wrapped in a warm blanket--was sound asleep, lips and eye lids twitching every now and then.

Seunghyun couldn’t help but smile, averting his eyes over to the cart. He heaved a blissful sigh as no word could describe how happy and how proud he was at the moment. He spent a good minute marveling at the tiny little miracle before turning back to Jiyong, taking the man’s hand into his. Catching Jiyong’s gaze, Seunghyun was still lost for words.

He wanted to say ‘thank you’, but he felt the word was not enough to convey his gratitude to Jiyong. He wanted to say ‘you’re amazing’, but hell Jiyong was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and he wondered what good had he done to the universe to deserve this. He wanted to say ‘I love you’, but he thought Jiyong had listened to that phrase too many times in the operation theatre earlier.

But one more time wouldn’t hurt anybody.

“I love you,” he whispered as he leaned down for a kiss.

Jiyong smiled wider as he hummed, “I know..”

Seunghyun pulled away with one last peck on Jiyong’s lips. “Get some sleep. I’ll be right back.”

“Okay..”

 

Seunghyun returned a little bit over an hour later, with two bags; one was packed with his and Jiyong’s clothes and other necessities, and the other with the baby stuff. These bags were already packed and ready since two weeks ago and Seunghyun was supposed to grab them when they leave for the hospital earlier. But since he panicked when he found out Jiyong was in labor and his mind was focusing on getting Jiyong to the hospital as soon as possible, he left everything behind.

He pushed the door open slowly, not to make a creak that would wake Jiyong or their baby up. He stepped further into the dimly lit room with careful steps like a ninja and saw that a spare bed had been set up at one corner of the room. He had requested for one as Jiyong would be staying at the hospital longer than usual. Since Jiyong was a special case, they wanted to make sure that everything was fine before discharging. So Seunghyun would be spending the nights here for as long as Jiyong would be here.

A tiny huff of whimper caught Seunghyun’s attention so he dropped the bags onto the spare bed hastily and wasted no time to approach the baby cart.

“Hey there, princess..” he greeted with the brightest smile, “I didn’t really get to see you earlier.” Pressing his lips together, Seunghyun picked the baby up into his arms, eyes admiring the soft features of the tiny face.

“Your grandparents, aunties and uncles were greedy. They didn’t let me hold you for even one minute.” Seunghyun faked a pout. “But they’re all gone now,” a grin replaced the pout, “so you are all mine.” He cooed and rocked his arms lightly when the baby whined and stretched, freeing her arms from the blanket.

“Aww..look at your fingers..” Seunghyun caressed the tiny palm with his thumb and melted when the little fingers instinctively wrapped around it. He brought the balled fist up to his lips and branded light kisses on the soft knuckles.

Seunghyun just couldn’t take his eyes off of his daughter. He may be biased, but everything was perfect; her long slender fingers, her thin pursed lips, her puffy cheeks, her cute small ears, the pinch of her chin, her eyelashes, her eyes.

“You’ve got your father’s eyes..” Seunghyun muttered, relishing the tinge of soft brown in the pair of eyes looking up at him. Seunghyun settled in an armchair in the corner where a lampshade casted dimmed ray of light, but bright enough for Seunghyun to see clearly.

“Now that’s going to be confusing for you, isn’t it?” Seunghyun asked, smiling, shaking the little hand lightly, “because you have two fathers.”

"You know, you should call me daddy,” he leaned down and kissed her on the forehead, “but I think you’re gonna have to fight for it with your father. He’s determined to copyright that petname for his use only.” Seunghyun chuckled and glanced towards Jiyong--who was still sleeping--and then back to his child.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter