Our Only Miracle

A Bun in the Oven: ABITO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Arwa and Cumo, this is for you. Thank you for reminding me to finish this update. ;)

 

A few months back.

 

The tour was starting again. Preparation had been crazy as always; music arrangements, stage arrangements, wardrobe, choreography, logistics. And now, another item was added into the checklist: Jihyun. Jiyong insisted on doing everything themselves without a helper and Seunghyun couldn’t agree more. They did get occasional help from their mothers and sisters, but that was all. And they were both very proud at how good they were doing so far.

Jiyong was at the YG building for the tour’s preparation meeting earlier that afternoon. The meeting was over and Jiyong, with a can of drink in his hand, joined Tablo who was lounging on a couch at one corner on the third floor. Jihyun was somewhere in the building; Youngbae kidnapped her as soon as Jiyong arrived earlier. That was how it was whenever Jihyun paid a visit to the office; if it was not her three uncles, someone would take her around the building to play with her until she cried for Jiyong or Seunghyun.

Jiyong sipped on his drink and smiled at the little girl running towards them at the couch.

“Haru, don’t run!” Tablo chided but it went pointless as his daughter was already chuckling mischievously at his knees before he got to finish his sentence.

“Appa, are we going to be here long?” Haru asked, looking up at her father.

Tablo looked at his watch. “Hmm..ten minutes? We’ll wait for mommy to finish her work and then we’ll pick her up for dinner. Okay?”

“Okay,” Haru beamed with a smile at her father. “Jiyong oppa,” and she turned to Jiyong who hummed a reply, “where is Jihyun? I wanna play with her.”

“She’s with Taeyang oppa. I think they are in the play room.”

“Ahh..I’ll go find her.” She turned around with a grin and hopped away.

Out of understanding, one of the small rooms on the third floor had been converted into a mini nursery or playroom to entertain the children of the company’s staff and talents whenever they had to bring the kids along.

“How do you do it, hyung?” Jiyong asked after Haru disappeared into the hallway.

Tablo huffed a short laugh, knowing exactly what Jiyong meant by the question.

“I’m not gonna lie to you, Jiyong, it’s hard.”

“But Haru is four now.”

“Yeah, but she wasn’t four when she was born. She wasn’t adopted, Jiyong.” Tablo teased, and they both laughed.

Jiyong sighed, leaning his back onto the couch. “I’m just nervous about this tour. This would be the first time we’re bringing Jihyun out in public.”

“I know how you feel. It was the same for me when I first brought Haru out too. I was nervous of how she would react to the sudden attention from people she didn’t know. And what I learned was, don’t hold her back if she wanted to explore. Let her. Introduce her to people, introduce her to new surroundings. I’ve seen how protective you are around her. Protective is good, protective is great. But don’t be over-protective. Don’t let her feel restricted so that she won’t have this mindset of anyone or anything outside of her family circle is not safe.”

Jiyong turned his head to face Tablo. “Have you ever wished that Haru was born into a normal life?”

“Well define normal life. Haru was born into this madness. To her, this is normal life, her normal life. My responsibility is to make sure that she’ll grow up healthy and happy and loved and give her everything she needs. Same goes to Jihyun. She’ll grow up around music, concerts, tours, famous people and travelling around the world. That would be her normal life. What’s not normal to her could be, I don’t know, maybe playing at a public playground?”

Jiyong smiled and nodded, but eyes heavy with worry.

Tablo reached a hand out onto Jiyong’s arm and gave it a warm squeeze. “Don’t worry, Jiyongie. It’ll be fine. Because, not only that both of you are doing the same thing, you are in the same group. Wherever, you go, Seunghyun would go and wherever Seunghyun goes, you would go too. Besides, you have at least three other people who would look after her and risk their lives for her. As for me and your Hyejung noona, it's a lot of work. We have to really pay attention to our schedules so that on any given day, Haru would have either one of us with her if not both.”

“But we’re different, hyung. We’re not exactly a conventional couple of parents.”

“Yeah, but look around you. Don’t think about what you don’t have. But cherish all the things that you have instead. Look at the tremendous support you’re getting from everyone. That’s all that matters. They love Jihyun, I love Jihyun. She’s family.”

“Thank you, hyung. That meant a lot.”

“Don’t worry about it too much. You guys are doing fine. I’m sure Jihyun knows how lucky she is.”

“It’s the other way around, hyung. We are the lucky ones, me and Seunghyun.”

“Of course,” Tablo smiled, “but I would worry a little, though.”

“Huh?” Jiyong frowned; confused and nervous. Tablo sounded playful but his words were like a warning.

“Well she is the daughter of G-Dragon and T.O.P of Big Bang,” Tablo teased, waving his hands in the air exaggeratedly.

Jiyong laughed. “Ah, hyung come on. You are Tablo of Epik High.”

“Huh, people don’t even know Epik High much less Tablo,” the elder snorted. “Even my own wife spelled Epik High with a ‘C’.”

The two laughed out loud leaving the couch as it was time for Tablo to get Haru to meet with his wife for dinner.

 

Jiyong felt relieved and he could breathe a little after talking to Tablo. But on the day they had to leave for Japan, Jiyong started to panic.

The night before, although Seunghyun was fine either way, Jiyong decided that it was better if Seunghyun carried Jihyun when they arrived at the airport because Seunghyun was relatively stronger so Jihyun would be safer, just in case they get swarmed by fangirls. But when they arrived at the airport, Jiyong changed his mind.

“Let me carry her,” Jiyong muttered as the vehicle stopped at the drop-off zone.

“Are you sure?” Seunghyun looked over to him.

“Yeah,” Jiyong’s reply came out firm but his eyes were unsure. "You’re taller than me so you can be a human shield if anything happen.”

“Okay,” Seunghyun turned to face him, “let’s get you ready then.” He took the chest harness off of himself and put it on Jiyong. Seunghyun made sure that everything was secured before picking Jihyun up from the baby carseat and slid her carefully into the harness.

“But,” Jiyong looked up, “what if I fall? What if I accidentally drop her to the floor?”

“No, you won’t. This will hold her for you.” Seunghyun pulled on the harness’ belts. “So you can hold on to me with your free hands.”

“Okay,” Jiyong muttered under his breath.

“Guys, we’re ready.” One of the security staff peeked over the front seat and gave the cue.

“Thanks,” Seunghyun nodded. “Let’s go,” he gave Jiyong an assuring look before pulling the door open and stepped out of the vehicle.

The couple went as planned; Jiyong would wrap his left arm around the baby and the other hand would hold on to Seunghyun.

“Ready?” Seunghyun asked and Jiyong nodded quietly.

“Here we go,” Seunghyun fixed the blanket that was draped on Jihyun and took Jiyong’s hand in his. “Whatever happens, don’t let go.”

Jiyong swallowed hard and nodded again. They took a deep breath, breathed out, counted to three and walked side by side.

The few steps from the vehicle were fine but as soon as they stepped into the main entrance, they were welcomed by hundreds of fans. They could hear people screaming, calling their names, and they were suddenly surrounded. The crowd seemed a lot bigger than what they remembered. Jihyun must’ve been the reason; that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter