Astonishment

Perfectly Imperfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2: Astonishment

June 9, 2014 7:25 AM

I woke up from my deep sleep. I didn’t notice I fell asleep at Sungyeol’s office, guess I was too sorry for missing my time as a chef. Anyways, I went to the washroom to wash my face and after so, wiping it with a face towel. Today, I’ll work as a cook since I took a day off from the hospital to cope up with last night.

I checked the time and it was still early. Good. I still have a lot of time to make the most out of today because tomorrow would probably be another hectic day at the hospital so might as well, do everything and cook anything I’ll love to, today.

The restaurant was serene and comfy for a single person like me just wandering around. It usually opens at 8 and so I’m still alone here.

With the thought of being alone, I went to the piano and decided to play a piece. It has been a while since I last played but I tried, hoping I’ll do good somehow. I sat down and placed my fingers on the keys. I still remembered placing them for the first time, I felt wonder. Music was also close to my heart. Cooking and Music are two basic things that can make my heart move.

I started. Unknowingly, I hummed following the melody of what I was playing but I wasn’t sure what song it was. I just played something that suddenly came into my mind. It’s true that music can move you from one place to another, it gives you this kind of magical experience one can never explain.

 

“What made you play that again?” that stopped me. It was no other than Victoria. I stood up and faced her.

“Serenity” I replied.

“Of what?” she asked, obviously curious just by looking at her eyes. When her eyes met mine, she quickly looked away.

I looked at the tables and chairs to avoid her gaze “Of this restaurant. I don’t know what made me play the piano again. Maybe I just had to or perhaps I succeeded already” I said patting her shoulders before leaving her. I’m not the type of man who would leave someone alone but it was too nostalgic to stay and talk to her. It just makes me shiver. I was afraid to break down in front of her.

I went to the staff room and straight to my locker. I putted my uniform and toque on. I’ve got no time to waste today. Right. I have to make the most out of today.

Before going out, I received a call from Sungyeol and quickly answered it.

“Good Morning Chef Choi, how was the night at my office?” he asked pissing me off.

“I had a good night sleep.” Take note the sarcasm.

“Good. I called you just for you to know that the part-timer I was talking about would be there and you, as the highest executive should guide her or else Henry would kill us both”

“You don’t need to tell me. I sure will. Is that all?” I asked.

“Uhmm, nope, here’s more; let her feel herself home and remember my bet. Bye.” with that leaving me confused, he dropped the call. He’s totally pissing me off every day.

After the phone call, Ryeowook went in the room. He greeted me and I did too. I guess he’ll tell me something for he’s specially known as the group clown and the most talkative gossiper out there.

“Brother! I didn’t saw you yesterday. Emergency cases again?” he asked. He knew me too well. I nodded.

“But glad you made it today. Today is such a special day” he said. I looked up and saw him smiling and as if boasting something.

I narrowed my eyes “What’s so special about today? Did I miss any events? Promotions or something?” I asked totally mindless of what he’s trying to say.

He tried hard not to laugh, it was obvious “No, man! Because I want you to meet ‘someone’. Not just any ordinary person but a brilliant one. But I won’t let you meet that person first rather I’ll let you judge by senses” he explained.

“Are you setting me up on a blind date?” I asked still confused. What I hate about my friends is that they don’t tell things in a straightforward way making me innocent most of the times. Or maybe I’m the one who’s close-minded?

And now he laughed “Man, you’re delusional. I won’t. Your standards are too high, I don’t think I can get you a girl for a blind date and besides I don’t know your taste on women and I won’t ever set you up on a blind date. EVER” then what is he talking about? Who’s this person he’s pertaining to?

“Then who? How? You know I don’t have time for that, I barely can even manage my time in the hospital and here”

He expressed disapproval “I’m not finished yet.” he said.

“She’s just here.”

I sliced the carrots and gradually putted them on the soup when Ry

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter