Chapter 5

Forgotten love

*Tao POV*

It's been 2 weeks since Kris left and I feel so guilty. As his best friend I should have heard him out and not got angry like that. I know he means well.

As I walk into school I notice something odd. Chanyeol's best friend Jae isn't here. In fact, she hasn't been here since before Kris left. Did something happen whilst she was in hospital?

"Tao!" I hear someone shouting me and turn around to see Baekhyun.

"Hey, you know since the hospital incident, have you seen Park Jae anywhere?"

I pause and shake my head.

"It's strange, I didn't find out what was wrong with her when she was in the hospital. Do you think it's serious?" He asks.

Just as I'm about to answer I hear someone from behind me.

"What hospital incident? What the hell happened?" It's Suho, and he doesn't sound very happy.

As we explain the situation, no one knows what to say. We weren't really close with Jae, but she was Channie's best friend, so we listened enough to make sure she was okay.

*Jae POV*

"Aigoo!" I hear my sister utter. "Jae, wake up! It's time for you to go to the hospital. You are moving in today, remember?"

Of course I remember. I remember the dreaded day when I was told I couldn't continue my studies because I had to stay at the hospital full time. I grogily climb out of bed and change my clothes. My things have already been packed so I walk downstairs and eat my breakfast with my sister. 

2 hours later, she's dragging me out of the house and into a cab. It's a good job she knows English. 

I hate hospitals, I always have, ever since mom was in here. It's always whitewashed and smells of medical equipment, ironically. We check in and they show me to my room. My sister is taken into an office to be told of the different procedures, so I decide to sleep, again.

 

It's been 3 weeks since I started the procedure. My sister doesn't visit as often as she said she would.

I guess it's time to look around the hospital and see what I can find. I walk into the library. It seems pretty empty so I pick up my favourite book and sit by the window. It's clean and the books are all old, but that's how I like it. I look up to see a woman. She seems older than me, maybe she's about 45. I smile to myself as I notice she's reading the same book as me. 

"She really has a way of writing doesn't she, Mrs Johnson." I whisper. 

The woman her head up and smiles at me. "You're a fan too?"

I shake the book in my hand and the woman laughs. 

"What're you here for?" She says calmly.

"Tuberculosis."

I hear her curse in Korean, and that's when I realise that she must be from there like me.

"Korean?" I ask. 

She nods and replies "TB huh? Yeah, me too. It to see such a young person with such a horrible disease."

I nod and we both get back to reading our books. 

It's been two hours and I haven't moved. I hear someone's name being shouted and I don't realise it's the woman infront of me until she begins to move.

"That must be my son" She speaks softly.

As she walks out, I can't help but smile to myself. What a lovely woman.

*Kris POV*

"You seem very happy today mom" I speak.

I watch as my mother nods. "I met a young girl in the library today. She has TB just like me, and she was reading exactly the same book, she seems like a lovely girl."

I smile as my mother looks around happily. After all these years, it's a stranger that can bring a smile out of her.

1 year passes and Jae becomes very close with Kris' mom, Claire. Although, Kris has never met the girl his mother is very close to, he becomes more and more curious everytime his mother talks about her.

*Jae POV*

"I leave tomorrow. I'm going back to Korea with my family" I hear Claire say from behind me.

"Oh" I whisper. My voice cracks and I become dazed. I can't believe she's leaving already.

"Was the surgery successful? Are you clear of TB now?" I ask, tears streaming down my face. Claire has been like a mother to me, she's always comforted me, I even told her about Chanyeol.

She nods and we talk for hours before my name is called on the speakers.

"I hope we meet again Mrs Wu." I say, giving her one last hug before I walk back to my room. It's time for my own surgery and my sister is here.

"Miss Park, if this surgery is successful, you will be cleared of TB and will be able to go home in just a few months." The doctor says to me.

I nod and climb onto the hospital bed. They stick a needle into my arm and I doze off.