Chapter 5

Steps
"Now open your mouth, Kyuhyun-ah," Sungmin said as he feed Kyuhyun some soup. Kyuhyun obeyed and silently opened his mouth for the spoon of chicken soup that Ryeowook had made for Kyuhyun to eat once he woke up from his rest.
 
"How's the soup so far, Kyuhyun?" Ryeowook questioned, entering the room. Kyuhyun nodded in response, eating another spoonful of soup. Since their arrival to Rosewood, Kyuhyun had refused to talk to anyone and he would fall into panic attacks if anyone tried getting close to him. Only Sungmin and Ryeowook, who was only an exception because he had been the one to save him from the harsh snow, were able to go near him without him going into another panic attack. Ryeowook's eyes twinkled while he watched Sungmin feed Kyuhyun with so much care. It was the first time he and the rest of the clan had seen Sungmin be so gently and caring to someone he had barely just met.
 
I wonder Ryeowook thought with a smile, chuckling.
 
"You wonder what Ryeowook?" Sungmin curously asked him, seeing him chuckling all of a sudden made him curious what Ryeowook had almost thought about.
 
"Hyung! Stop reading my mind! There's something called privacy!" Ryeowook whined, stomping his feet. Kyuhyun curiously eyed the two in confusion, he was sure Ryeowook hadn't said anything yet and what did he mean by reading his mind he wondered. Kyuhyun moved his hand to tug at the end of Sungmin's shirt to get his attention.
 
"What is it Kyuhyun-ah?" Sungmin asked, ignoring Ryeowook who was still whining about his loss of privacy.
 
Kyuhyun curiously stares back at Sungmin, in hopes that he would understand his question.
 
Sungmin stares at Kyuhyun in confusion before he quickly realized what Kyuhyun was trying to ask him, "You're asking what Ryeowook meant by stop reading his mind, right? I'm a kyuusetsuki and my saiwan is mind reading. Before you ask, yes I can read your mind."
 
Upon hearing his answer, Kyuhyun hid his face in the pillow that he was previously hugging and began to softly whine out of embrassment. Sungmin lightly chuckled at Kyuhyun's cuteness, before he tries to convience Kyuhyun to stop hidding his face behind the pillow.
 
Hopefully I'm right Ryeowook thought, staring at the two before he quietly slipped out the room.
 
 
"Kyuhyun-ah do you want to hear a story?" Sungmin asked after Kyuhyun had finished eating as much as he could of the soup, which was only a quarter of the soup since Kyuhyun would throw it all back up if he was forced to eat anymore. Kyuhyun eagerly nodded his head with a happy hum, it was going to be his first time hearing a story from someone who actually cares about him.
 
Sungmin chuckled, "Alright, hmm what story shall I tell you? Oh, I got one! How about an old legend that I've heard of before?" Sungmin stares at Kyuhyun to see if he wanted to listen to the legend or if he wanted a different story, but Kyuhyun's only response was moving closer and looking back at him expectantly.
 
"Alright, old legend it is," Sungmin laughed, "Long ago there were two men, who loved each other despite the large amount of objections from their families. It was normal for boys to love each other and girls to love each other, but from different species was appalling for many, especially their families. Their families did almost eveything they could to keep the two from meeting each other, yet their efforts were futile because nothing could keep the two of them apart. Finally having enough of their family's attempts to separate them, the two ran away together to begin their lives together. The two created identical marks on each other, as a way to find each other if they were ever lost or were separated from each other."
 
Sungmin paused to add more suspense to the story, " One day, while they were strolling through the forest that was near their home, they encounter a beautiful lady. The lady strangely asks them, "How strong is your love?" The two happily answers, "Very strong!" while tightening their hold on each other's hand. Hearing their response the lady says, "Then you two wouldn't mind searching each other in other lifetimes?" They were starting to feel creeped out by the lady, but they remained to be polite, so they answered, "Yes." The moment they answered, the earth began to quake and the sky became dark with thunder. "Say good bye to each other because you both won't be seeing each other again until the next lifetime." The lady smirks. The earth cracked between the two, separating them from each other. They cried for each other and reached their hands out, in hopes of grabbing each other's hands, but they were already too far apart. "Look for me! I'll have the same mark we made!" One of them shouted. The other shouted, "I will! I won't give up and I shall have the same mark as well!" The earth crumbled beneth both of them, causing them fall to their death."
 
Sungmin handed Kyuhyun a tissue to wipe his tears before he finshes the story, "Although they fell to their death, they fell without fear because they knew that they would be able to find each other again in the next life. Many say that they are still searching each other to this very day,"
 
"So did you like the legend Kyuhyun?" Sungmin curiously asked. Kyuhyun nodded, despite his slightly red eyes.
 
I hope that they will find each other Kyuhyun thought as he began to feel sleepy.
 
"Do you want to go to sleep now?" Sungmin asked, knowing that Kyuhyun must feel really sleepy now. Kyuhyun nodded once more before he moved down to sleep.


After Kyuhyun had fallen asleep, Sungmin closed his eyes and let his thoughts fill up the silence that was in the room.

How could his family be so cruel to him? 
 
Beating and starving him?
 
Huh, at least he isn't with them anymore and now that he's with us he's slowly recov-
 
Wait why am i getting so concerned about him? What is wrong with me?
 
Sungmin quietly got up and left the room to look for Leeteuk, who may have the answers about his strange behavior since Kyuhyun had arrived.
 
 
"Leeteuk hyung!" Sungmin asked, barging into Leeteuk's study. 
 
"Yes, Sungmin?" Leeteuk asked curiously, turning his attention away from his stack of papers to Sungmin. 
 
"Hyung, please tell me why I've been acting so strange since Kyuhyun had arrived! I keep getting an urge to protect him and sometimes my heart starts to beat really fast around him. What's wrong with me?" Sungmin exclaimed, slamming his hands onto Leeteuk's desk. 
 
"You haven't noticed yet?" Leeteuk questioned, surprised by Sungmin's question.
 
"Noticed what?" Sungmin asked with an eyebrow raised. 
 
Countering his question with a question of his own, Leeteuk asked, "Your mannen, has it been burning lately?" 
 
"Deh, but what does that have to do with anything?" Sungmin asked, still confused. For the past few days, his mannen had indeed been burning, but he hadn't taken any notice of it since he had been busy with taking care of Kyuhyun. His mannen was a small crescent moon that laid at the bottom of his left wrist. 
 
Leeteuk sighed, "Do you remember why we have mannens?" 
 

"We have mannens because they help identify who is most compatible for us, which in shorter terms means that they help us find our true mate. They are small marks that everyone, regradless of specie, has somewhere on their bodies and the mark never look or is in the same place for everyone. The only person who would have the same mannen in the same location is our intended mate. When our mate arrives, the mannen will begin to burn. When both parties of the mannen have accepted each other as mates the mannen will become a strong link between the two, allowing each other to feel each other's feelngs and thoughts," Sungmin recited from memory.

They are also thought to be the same marks that was created by the two in the old legend Sungmin added mentally.

He knew the purpose and history of mannens inside and out because it was the only thing, besides hatred for other species, that was taught to everyone. Without them, every species would be reduce to low numbers with many unhappy marriages. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop many from arranging marriages and denying their mates, in fact denial of mates happen squite a lot. The reason was because like love, the mates chosen by the mannens are not restricted to a certain age, nor gender, so a straight man could suddenly find out that his mate to be is a male or a female could find out that her intended mate is barely an adult. 
 
"And you're still asking questions?" Leeteuk chuckled when he saw how Sungmin was about to retort, but instead his face quickly fell and his eyes became wide enough to be mistaken as fish eyes when he finally began to connect the dots. 
 
"Y-you mean Kyuhyun is my intended mate!" Sungmin exclaimed in disbelief. 
 
"Took you long enough, genius," Heechul sarcastically said, leaning against the edge of the doorway. Sungmin quickly turned around to the door in surprise.   
 
"Ah Heechul, did the fight end yet?" Leeteuk asked. 
 
"No, it seems those kyuusetsukis of the Kuro clan and the ookamis of the Tomoshibi clan will be at it for a while," Heechul reported. Upon their arrival to Rosewood, Heechul had been sent out with Siwon to find out how much longer the two clans will be fighting for the next few days. 
 
"Of course, the Kuro clan and the Tomoshibi clan are known to be the most active clans that like to battle, especially with each other," Leeteuk sighed. "Sungmin, you should go see how Kyuhyun is doing. Heechul, please tell everyone that we won't be leaving for a while." 
 
The two left the study to complete their given task, leaving Leeteuk to his thoughts. 
 
Although those two clans are known for fighting, it's abnormal for them to fight so close to the Getsuei night. Something must have happened Leeteuk thought, leaning back in his chair and closing his eyes. The Getsuei night is when the night lasts all day and every specie is at truce because their powers or other forms are neutralized by the moon's light. 
 
"So, how do you feel about finally getting a mate?" Heechul asked suddenly to break the silence. After the two of them left Leeteuk's study, a comfortable silence had overtaken the two. 
 
"I'm not really sure. I've never heard of a kyuusetsuki having a ningen as a mate before " Sungmin said.
 
"It doesn't matter who you are, it just matters if you're happy together," Heechul simply said, before he left Sungmin in the middle of the corridor. 
 
Since when did Heechul hyung sound so wise? Sungmin thought, dumbfounded. He continued to stand in the corridor for awhile before he turned and left to check on Kyuhyun. 
 
 
"Have you confirmed if our informant was correct?" A figure asked from behind a sheer curtain. The figure was laying down on a small cushion couch while staring out the window at the bright sky, which was unusually more bright from the glow of the moon. 
 
"Deh, a ningen has indeed been taken into the Furu clan, mistress," a kneeling figure said.
 
"My my, things have become more interesting," the mistress said, amused, "Would you like to listen a story, my dear Channie?"
 
"Yes, mistress," Channie said.
 
The mistress picked up a small, bright red cherry from a bowl that was placed on a table near hear her couch, "There was once a witch who was bound to the lonely mountains all by herself, while the rest lived happily below the mountains. At first, the witch's heart was light and happy while she watched over the others live out their lives with each other. She wasn't lonely because the animals of the mountain would keep her company, so everything was at peace and of course happy. When the others below the mountain began to fight each other and feuds against other species began, the witch cried at her helplessness. As the bloodshed continued, the witch's heart slowly became corrupted by her loneliness and despair. Soon as time passed by, the witch no longer cried, but she was awfully bored since she had spent previous years immersing herself in black magic. When the witch saw the very same couple, who had run away to live together, as told in the old legend, she decided to play a game," the mistress said, playing with the small, bright cherry.
 
"What game, mistress?" Channie asked, knowing that his mistress was waiting for him to ask.
 
"The game was to seperate the two for many lifetimes," the mistress smirked, crushing the cherry. The juice splattered onto her cheek as she began to laugh hysterically.
 

Mannen= Eternity

Tomoshibi= Light

Kuro= Dark

Getsuei= Moonlight
 
I'm sorry to you all! I was going to upload this yestreday as a celebration for Super Junior's comeback, but life had to get in the way and get me sick with the coughs so my mom made me sleep early Also school had recently started again, so my updates may or may not be really random. >.< I hope you all enjoyed it! Do you guys like their new song, Mamacita? It's a very different concept that I haven't seen from SM yet, so I'm very glad that they finally get the sets and the funds that they deserve for their comebacks! Mamacita, Aiya Aiya!! I can't believe that their back after two years XD Do you guys like the poster? Anyway as always please comment!
 
Until next time~ ^-^