5.2 First night or whatever

The secret of the music box

Youngjun’s POV

 

 

OK, this was way too formal, typical and BLEH.

But I feel like I got rid of a huge extra weight from my shoulders.

Even though everyone is staring at me and Apeuril, I feel quite calm. I’m OK with a lot of people looking at me anyways. Unless it is practice time; then I don’t want to be observed no matter what. I can’t concentrate like that.

 April seems lighter too. She gained her cheeks’ color again and her hand that is touching mine is now warm again. She is flashing those childish, kind of arrogant smiles around, the spoiled lil’ brat inside her kicking to come out.

 

I looked at my parents with the corner of my eyes. Dad has such a cocky expression, he seems like he’s enjoying people’s admiring looks for the luxury of the whole thing. Mom is a combination of super excitement and emotional.

 

This gets on my nerves. But, okay, I will just overlook it for the time being. I feel so relieved that I don’t care about them right now.

 

«How do you feel?» April suddenly turned to me.

I felt a little taken aback with her question and the timing, but I moved my shoulders and breathed out calmly.

«I think I’m alright. What about you?»

«I’m good. It was nothing in the end…» she whispered, on her toes to reach my ear.

A flash blinded us momentarily. I thought that the photographer just got the snap of the whole evening.

«Yeah, it was easier than I expected.» I coughed, looking around carelessly, as we started walking towards the room where we will receive the congratulations and stuff but all the guests.

Sounds boring already.

 

«Oh well, I thought that I wouldn’t be able to stand the vows’ part, but I…» she started blabbing and I capped .

«It’s not the best of the moments, jeez.»

She blinked quickly and I let open again.

«You’re right. This crowd can be deceiving.» she looked around suspiciously.

 

Oh God, what a kid.

 

We finally reached the room, free from each other, as there is no protocol about holding onto each other from now on. Thank God.

Greetings and wishes, first from our parents, grandparents and close relatives. For some reason, I thought that they were all kind of more «restrained» than I expected them to be. Instead, the rest of the guests seemed to be in a completely excited and flattering mood.

Time seemed to go by quickly though.

A lady totally shocked us and mainly April, when she came and hugged us both, letting out cries of enthusiasm and looking at both of us, she said with all of her honesty: «And have many beautiful children soon!»

I think April’s gasp was heard miles and miles away. I felt blushing too, but the mood to laugh with her reaction kicked my awkwardness away.

«Who’s that woman?» she turned to me with wide open eyes, trying to contain her irritation.

«I… I have no idea.» I moved my head negatively and started laughing.

She nudged me with her elbow, with obvious annoyance.

«Don’t laugh! It’s not funny!»

 

The next guest looked at us weirdly, but I just overcame the awkwardness of the moment and I nudged April back, maybe a little harder than I should, as she stumbled to the right.

 

I was taking a look of the remaining guests, trying to figure out how many where left, until we end up to dinner, when I noticed a suspicious movement behind some columns on the back of the room.

 

Damn it. I know these faces. I know these stupid faces.

And why on earth am I surprised? The dorks said they couldn’t miss this. And they didn’t.

 I looked more carefully, trying to distinguish their faces better. They all looked at me at the same time and started grinning and waving like idiots, hiding behind the columns.

 

Oh, jeez. Great.

 

 

Reader’s POV

 

 

Youngjun felt sweating. Someone might recognise them if they were seeing them all together.

He looked secretly at April, but she seemed too busy talking with an excited old man, a fellow business man that knew her since she was a little child.

 As very few guests were left in the queue and everyone was busy heading for the buffet, Youngjun took the decision to disappear for a while.

Mixing with the remaining guests, he headed for where his friends were, constantly looking behind him. No one noticed him and he thanked God for this.

The rest of the boys had withdrawn close to the wall behind them, getting ready for a massive scolding.

They were wearing their nicest clothes, had stylised their hair and were trying to act very decent. Seeing them having taken care of every detail and being so careful and everything, Youngjun felt touched.

He was seriously about to kick their butts, but noticing them being so neat and elegant slowed him really down.

 He hurried to hide behind a column too and tried to take a strict look; the boys smiled with nervousness.

 

«What the hell are you doing here?» Youngjun’s voice came out much less serious than he intended.

 They looked at each other, but Kwangyeon talked first.

«I… I said we shouldn’t, but everyone was in, so…» he rubbed his nape awkwardly.

 

 Kyumin pulled him back and the others pushed him.

 

«He was in too, don’t believe him. We just couldn’t miss that, reaaaallyyy hyung!» Hyoseok started saying, but Youngjun moved his hands hastily.

«OK, that’s enough. I do know who to believe and who not and I do know why you came here!» he raised his tone and approached them with an abrupt movement; the boys shrugged backwards.

«… And… I… I thank you for coming here for me…» Youngjun lowered his head and played with his fingers.

 The others sighed in relief.

«You have to go now thought, guys. You must not be seen by anyone…» he looked again behind him and froze for a moment.

 

 April, left alone to handle the guests, the three remaining guests, seemed to look for him. Youngjun though didn’t signal to betray his presence. He looked at the people in front of the girl. The first one was unknown to Youngjun, the other two though were somehow familiar. She looked again at his direction, but he hurried to hide again behind his column.

 

«… And we can’t leave before food!» Hanbyul had already started whining.

«Oh, come on, I’ll bring you as much food as you want!» Youngjun gestured intensely.

«Tonight?» they all beamed together.

«No… not tonight.» he whispered and looked back again.

«Why?»

«Because I have to settle some things in my room and in the apartment in general about my stuff…» he murmured.

 

The unknown gentleman was now gone and the well- known blonde girl hugged April tightly, while the other guy was watching from close enough, smiling.

  The boys gathered behind the leader and tried to see what he was observing. The view was interesting.

 

«Who’s that guy?» Hyoseok asked directly, without much thinking.

He would usually make the right comment at the right moment.

«I think that this is April’s boyfriend.» Youngjun sighed, still looking at the scene.

  A whistle of dissatisfaction or surprise was heard.

«Well, I think that this was the weirdest line I’ve ever heard in a wedding by the groom; «my wife’s boyfriend»…» Hanbyul scratched his head and was about to laugh.

«She isn’t really my wife anyways.» the leader finally turned back to them, sighing.

«I don’t like this guy’s face. Something’s wrong.» Kyumin said.

«It’s none of our business.»

«But…»

«Hmm, your wife is hot.» Hyoseok commented, him looking now from the same spot as Youngjun did before.

«Shut up, that’s rude.» Kyumin pushed him, but the guitarist laughed.

«He can say whatever. I don’t mind. I’ll keep an eye on him in case he gets out of control.» he nodded to the maknae and pulled Kwangyeon in for a hug, as he was standing next to him.

«And her girlfriend is hot.» Hanbyul added now, receiving a punch from everyone.

«Will you stop this?» Youngjun huffed.

«I AM JOKING. Since we commented on everyone I thought that we shouldn’t leave her out… I mean, she’s pretty, but she looks kind of cheap, or…» Hanbyul had started his accidental blabbing again.

«OK, WE GET IT.» Hyoseok pushed him and their leader couldn’t but laugh.

«That’s enough… I really think you should go guys.» he looked at his band mates and started walking to show them the door.

«It was fun! I hope you’re feeling better now, man.» Hanbyul patted his shoulder.

«I do, don’t worry. Thank you all for coming.» he smiled gently.

«Needless to say that, hyungie. See you tomorrow?» Kwangyeon smiled back.

«Yeap.»

 

A quick team hug took place and the boys quickly left.

Youngjun returned his look to April, who was now talking only to the familiar guy.

«Here we go…» he said to himself and hurried to return back to her.

 

 

April’s POV

 

Youngjun is nowhere to be seen so, as soon as mr. Shin- a childhood friend of my father- greeted me and left, I jumped in Yeseo’s hug.

 

«Thaaank youuu sooo much for coming here!!» I beamed and she hugged me tightly.

Behind her is standing Geunsuk, with his arms crossed on his chest, but a provocative smile playing on his lips. I looked at him, feeling even safer that  he’s here.

 

 «Even». I mean. It wasn’t a huge deal in the end.

All these vows and blah blah was making it seem like too important, but I was trying to think of other stuff and calm myself down. Youngjun was completely expressionless, maybe a little pretentiously this time and at first I was feeling that I couldn’t follow along him. That kind of stressed me, but everything was resolved when Youngjun started humming a melody of his own, tapping his fingers on my hand that was resting on his.

I think that the master of the ceremony was looking at him with a really funny and surprised look when he realised that Youngjun was actually not paying attention at all; I barely held my laughter in, because well… Yeah. I mean, I know Youngjun, ehm, kind of anyways, and what made the whole thing funnier was that he indeed didn’t care or pay attention. So, yeah, I think that this was a moment that my cheeks turned red from my effort not to laugh.

 

«What an experience though, dear… You were so pale when you first came out and that man was holding you…» Yeseo bit her pink nails thoughtfully.

«It wasn’t that bad in the end.» I sighed and smiled.

«Don’t say that you liked it, because some certain people here will get jealous.» she nudged me and I looked at Geunsuk again, his look becoming even naughtier.

«It’s not either hot and cold.» I pushed her gently and she laughed.

«That guy though… Your husband. He is kinda weird, isn’t he?» my friend scratched her head.

«Is he…? I don’t know. I mean, his character is, but I guess you are talking about appearance.»

«Yes, exactly.» she nodded quickly.

«I guess I wouldn’t call anything weird on him. Or I’ve gotten used to him, who knows.» I giggled and Yeseo joined me.

«I wouldn’t ever expect that I’d watch my girlfriend’s wedding, without me being the groom.» Geunsuk finally said and pulled me in for a kiss.

I panicked but in the end let him give me a quick peck.

«Sssh, don’t do that now, here. That would be the weirdest view ever for a wedding, including the bride but not the groom.» I laughed, feeling blushing.

«Where’s he now really?» Geunsuk said with an uninterested look.

«I don’t know…» I murmured and looked around again. «He disappeared a while ago and I didn’t even notice the moment and the direction…» I bit my nail.

«Pfft, who cares after all.» Yeseo huffed and slapped my arm.

«Easy. And well, I do care.» I said on purpose and they both looked at me. «I can’t appear without him  for the dinner. So, no Youngjun, no food.» I added and they started laughing.

 

I heard an awkward cough behind Geunsuk’s back and -as he stepped aside- Youngjun appeared.

 

«Dinner arrived.» he moved his shoulders and came to stand next to me.

 

I felt sweating immediately, while Yeseo turned pale and Geunsuk’s look hardened.

«Let’s go then…» I mumbled, but he didn’t move.

«You didn’t introduce me to your friends here.» he said in a firm tone.

I felt almost sick.

«Ahh, yes… I’m sorry, Youngjun-sshi… This is my best friend, Yeseo… And… and my… other… friend Geunsuk.» I pointed trying to keep my hand steady.

He looked at both of them and nodded.

«Hello.» he simply said and Yeseo hurried to bow.

«Annyeonghaseyo.»

Geunsuk instead didn’t say anything.

«Aren’t you coming for dinner?» Youngjun raised an eyebrow.

«No, no… Thank you so much, but we really have to go.» Yeseo quickly said, confusing her words and smiling nervously.

 

What the hell is wrong with him all of a sudden?

He shouldn’t be suspicious anyways.

 

«We will go then. Thank you for coming…» I hurried to say, instead of letting Youngjun answer and waved.

«Yes… I’ll see you dear, congratulations again. Nice to meet you, Seo Youngjun-sshi.» Yeseo bowed again.

«Be careful.» Geunsuk said only to me and they both left.

Ah, my hero…. He said «Be careful»… He cares so much for me! ToT

But I don’t need to be THAT careful anyways.

We started walking slowly, but Youngjun seems distracted.

 

 

«Why so many rude questions to my friends?» I asked, my voice cold.

«Rude? I wasn’t rude. When are you going to learn how to distinguish simple curiosity and the things beyond this? Me, rude… Tsk.» he huffed and seemed sincerely offended. «Instead, you seemed too worried to get rid of them.» he added, looking at the door.

I gulped.

«Me? Are you kidding me? I just want to eat right now.» I said, trying to hide my nervousness.

«Yeah, right.» he rolled his eyes. «But I don’t care anyways.»

«Alright…» I whispered and looked down.

 

Why did these words sounded kinda bad?

 

I kept walking, looking down, when I noticed him opening the door for me and waiting for me to go in first. As always when he’s doing that, he is looking away.

I felt like smiling, but kept it in.

He has a kind of gentle side, maybe…?

That moment that the «you may kiss the bride» was said and Youngjun’s lips touched my forehead…

In the end, I smiled.

Ugh, yeah, whatever.

 

 

 

Youngjun’s POV

 

I unlocked the door of the apartment and hurried to get in. I don’t feel much tired because I just ate and saved powers during the dinner. Apart from my grandma, I didn’t talk almost with anyone and tried to think what I had to do when we would finally get here.

 April -instead- dragged herself in, her wedding dress seeming heavier than ever on her. Her head bowed and her make up slowly falling apart, she made me almost about to laugh.

She spent the whole evening blabbing with everyone, toasting with everyone and dancing with her relatives. Her parents were urging her to do it again… I was luckier again~~

 

«Finally here.» I sighed and threw the keys on the table.

 

April frowned and held her forehead.

«Don’t make loud noises!» she whined.

A giggle escaped my mouth in the end.

 

«Drunk?» I raised an eyebrow on purpose, but she looked at me a little surprised.

«What the heck, Youngjun-sshi… I just have a headache from the party and music and all those people.» she huffed and just jumped on an armchair.

«Jeez, keep your nerves back.» I rolled my eyes and hurried to the sink to get a glass of water.

«Look who’s talking about nerves.» she said and I felt like laughing again.

Maybe my game with her boyfriend and friend pushed her too much. Well… hehehe. It’s not my fault. It was way too funny to resist.

 

«Ugh, this is why your friends didn’t stay for dinner. You are nothing but whining and they couldn’t stand it.» I said bitterly and she widened her eyes, slapping the arms of her armchair and getting up abruptly.

«And what if they left because they couldn’t stand you and your freezing cold face and tone!» she yelled, her eyes twinkling with anger.

Ha. Here we go. We started already. And the first day isn’t even done yet!

 

I rushed towards her and grabbed her from her arms, pushing her against the wall. I looked at her with this cold look she so dislikes.

I’m not her father and mother to say yes to everything she whines about.

 

«Look, I’m not your parents to listen to a spoil child all the time. Get it?» I said, my voice’s tone remaining calm, but firm.

She gulped a little, but didn’t stop looking in my eyes.

«Let me go… I’ll start shouting.» she said with that little kid’s face that is about to kick you wherever they can.

«Pfft, so what. We’re all alone here anyways.» I moved my shoulders and let her go immediately. «And don’t be a drama queen. As if I’d do any harm to you…» I rolled my eyes and turned my back to her.

«Jeez, I’m not a drama queen…» she murmured, but I sensed her voice being kind of awkward.

 

«We’re all alone here anyways» echoed in mind repeatedly and I suddenly felt awkward too.

We knew that, lol. Why does it feel THAT awkward then right now?

I coughed.

 

«Welcome home, dude…» I whispered to myself and headed upstairs, leaving her behind.

 

Ugh, maybe I should stop bugging her that much. But she gets so badly on my nerves when she acts like a stupid baby. Which is like the 99.9% of the situations.

I guess it’s a thousand times better that I will be barely setting a foot in here, starting from tomorrow.

 

I locked myself in my room and got rid of my stupid groom- clothes.

A look at my mobile confirmed that the boys have bombed our group chat in KakaoTalk with uncountable photos of the so-called ceremony… Punks. No fair play…

I laughed a little with some comments and simply wrote: «You’re all idiots.»

Now, let’s get ready for the big escape tomorrow.

I’m free! I’m freeeeeee!

 I pulled my backpack out of the closet with a completely new excitement, feeling more refreshed than ever. OK, yes. I already think it was worth everything. Who cares about it all, I’m free and I don’t need to say anything to anyone!

 

I turned the stereo on and started picking my clothes.

I don’t think I will take everything… I’m just gonna pick those that I’ll leave in the dorm for this time. I can’t have a very heavy backpack anyways, because I’ll be carrying my two guitars also.

The other two- the ones that I don’t use often anymore- as well as my digital one, will be left here, locked of course. Just in a case of emergency or of a sudden inspiration.

 

I opened the closet that can be locked and checked on them.

Ah, they are the most beautiful and precious things I have.

Playing is my stress relief.

Playing is my everything actually.

I stretched my arm out to grab my acoustic one, when I heard a knock on the door.

Great. Not even here a moment for myself?

 

«What?» I huffed and quickly closed and locked my closet, kicking  my backpack under the bed.  

«Youngjun-sshi…» April’s voice was heard.

A too gentle and innocent voice for the dialogue that took place previously.

«What do you want?» I said, jumping on my bed and of course without even approaching the locked door.

«Ah… Yes… You see…» she chuckled with difficulty. «I… I kind of need your help for something…»

Ha, I knew it. As if she would ever come to apologise. THIS started also. Why do I feel like the new babysitter here? And what the heck did she already manage to do?!

«I’m busy. Sorry.» I said, rolling my eyes.

«But Youngjun-sshi…» she whined even more now and I saw the knob turning.

«Don’t even try, it’s locked.» I replied, trying to remain serious.

A short pause followed, soon to be broken again.

«But, please, I need your help! Is it so difficult to just open up for a second?» she slightly raised her tone.

«Yes, it is.» I moved my shoulders to myself.

Another pause, but this time a «boom» following.

 

«Yah, Seo Youngjun, open the door!» she yelled and started knocking on it.

I frowned. Aaah, I don’t like where this is goiiiing…

«And what if I say no?» I got up from my bed and grabbed my T-shirt.

«I don’t know. I’ll start kicking the door until I open a whole on it!» she yelled again and I simply started laughing.

I wore my T-shirt and –as she had started banging on the door again- I unlocked and opened abruptly the door.

 

She remained with her arms hanging and looked at me with wide eyes. Still wearing that puffy wedding dress.

«What?» I raised an eyebrow and looked at her coldly.

«Finally! What were you doing in there that took you so long?» she sighed, with red cheeks, and invaded in my room.

 

Ugh, that’s it.

 

«You don’t wanna know.» I said with an uninterested look, but she widened her eyes.

«What the hell, Youngjun-sshi…» she looked away.

«I was listening to a story about a spoiled little girl that doesn’t respect others’ personal time and room.» I faked a grin and she rolled her eyes.

«Really now? Oh, come on now, help me, so I get out of here.» she turned her back to me.

«Nah- ha. You first get out of here and then I’m listening, alright? And don’t ever come in here before I say that you are allowed to!» I pulled her from her arm and led her out of my room.

«Okay, okay. I’m sorry.» she raised her hands and looked at me. «Now, will you help me?» she pouted.

«For what, jeez…» I sighed and shoved my hands in my pockets.

«I really want to get rid of this white puffy … But I can’t reach the zipper in any way… So, yeah… Can you it up to a point for me?» she played with her fingers and I started coughing.

 

Holy crap… Why. Just why to me, dear God.

«Are you kidding me? You women are supposed to be able to do anything with your clothes and bras and whatevers…» I turned my back to her, feeling my cheeks red.

«Ugh, but look at this, it’s no joke!» she pulled me back to her and indeed tried to reach the zipper in vain. «It’s not my best choice to ask from someone else to do this for me, anyways, you know.» she placed her hands on her waist and her look became sarcastic.

OK, she won’t stop torturing me if I don’t do it. And I won’t ever finish my preparations for tomorrow!

And in the meantime she hasn’t stopped blabbing and whining, God.

 

«OK, be quiet, I’m just gonna do it, alright?» I yelled and she stopped.

«Ah, great! Just be fast. But be careful with my skin also.» she said and turned her back to me.

 

I looked at the zipper and at her bare upper back.

OK, I can do this. I just have to think of something else so it doesn’t get too awkward than it already is.

I extended my hand and held the zipper, the other hand against her back.

This is awkward and I swear I don’t wanna do it again.

 

«Just get over with it, Youngjun-sshi.» she said with boredom.

«Alright!» I yelled again and started pulling the zipper down.

 

OK, I’m gonna think… About tomorrow’s practice… And how badly practiced Hyoseok will be again… And about the final arrengements of the new song…

 

I took a look of my job; halfway there!

But omo… More bare skin. .-.

«Are you even wearing anything else on your upper body?» I coughed and she turned her head to look at me in disbelief.

«How could I be wearing anything else? This is too tight.» she said, as if saying the most natural thing in the world.

 

OK, this just got more and more awkward.

Let’s just finish with it, I thought and pulled it abruptly down- without staring anymore- when I felt it getting stuck somewhere.

Uh-ho.

 

I looked at the spot and tried to pull my hand.

Why am I so lucky? Why. Just why.

.

 

 

Reader’s POV

 

 

April sensed him stopping before the zipper was completely down again.

 

«What happened now?» she asked, her voice steady.

She was feeling satisfied with herself that she managed to keep her calmness and ask for what she needed. She couldn’t stay with that thing on her just because she was shy. She thought that Youngjun isn’t that kind of man that she should be feeling shy about after all, since he had already confirmed that had no interest in her.

It was still feeling awkward thought and she couldn’t tell why, but she tried to kick it away. She only thought what Geunsuk would say and what would he do if he was seeing that and she felt blushing.

He would get really jealous, she had thought with great excitement.

 

«I think we have a problem…» Youngjun coughed again.

«What?» she rolled her eyes.

«Eum… My bracelet got tangled and stuck with the zipper…» he rubbed the back of his head with his free hand.

«Are you kidding me?!» she yelled and unconsciously turned around to look at him, dragging him with her.

«No… Unfortunately.» he said and held her shoulder to keep her still.

«And what are we going to do?? Pull it, do something!» she panicked.

«Hey, I can’t pull it, what if it gets ruined?» he frowned.

«Uuugh… What are we going to do now?» she pouted.

«Do you think I like that? Now, be quiet and let me think!»

 

She started tapping her foot on the floor, her arms folded on her chest.

Youngjun’s mind was racing. The bracelet was a gift from a really fervent fan of his… On LEDApple’s first anniversary. He didn’t want to ruin it in any way.

 

«Let’s go downstairs.» he said after a while and gently pushed her to move.

 

They came down the stairs carefully, one behind the other and Youngjun navigated her to the kitchen. He asked her to find a toothpick or a needle and as soon as he got his needle he tried to untangle things like this.

 They stayed trying like this for about 20 minutes, until his eyes started hurting him, while April hadn’t stopped whining.

 

«Oh, be quiet! I can’t… My eyes hurt me. Give me a break.» he sighed, really tired and left the needle on the counter.

«Ugh, I can’t be like that anymore! I’m bored and tired, alright?» she yelled.

«Same here, alright??» he yelled back.

«Why don’t you cut that stupid thing with the scissors anyways?» she held her forehead.

Youngjun felt like pulling her ear, but he held himself back.

«This is an important thing for me, OK? I don’t want to cut it.» he said, trying to remain calm.

«You can get a new one…» she tapped her fingers angrily on the counter.

«No, I can’t. It’s handmade and it’s a gift and the person who gave this to me put effort and care and interest in it and this is irreplaceable, get it?» he finally yelled and she sighed.

«What are we going to doooo?» she said breathlessly, dropping her head.

«Just let me rest and think of something, OK?» he replied, somehow calmer now.

 They dragged themselves to the sofa and collapsed there.

April starting murmuring the melody of a song that they played at the wedding moving her feet back and forth. Youngjun simply closed his eyes and tried to calm them down.

 

It was already past midnight and he had to free himself from this. April thankfully kept quiet after a while and the silence seemed like heaven to him.

He lost track of time after a while and when he opened his eyes again, he noticed April asleep, her head resting on her knees. was half-opened and her hands hanging on each side of her body.

He sighed and rubbed his eyes with his free hand. Why do never things go as planned?

 

He made an effort again to pull the bracelet, but it didn’t work. Instead, April, half- awake, lied on her back, almost on his legs, his captured hand twisting painfully as she pulled it down with him.

 

«Ouch…» he panicked and tried to change position to stop the pain.

After managing it, he ended up in a weird pose, his head close to hers.

He looked at her again.

Her expression was somehow frowned.

And- suddenly- he thought that this was kind of cute.

 «Crap.» he said and pulled away, a bit worried. His wrist hurting him again, he pulled for one more time with all his strength and finally freed his hand.

He got up immediately from the sofa, almost throwing her off from it.

She looked at him -sleepy and confused- but as soon as she realised what had finally happened she got up and started jumping around.

 

«Yeaaaah!!!» she screamed and started laughing, looking at him.

He nodded, with a satisfied smile.

 

«Double free today.» he said, mostly to himself and headed upstairs, happy that he can finally finish his packing.