Preaching after preaching

The secret of the music box

April’s POV

 

 

«This apartment is ridiculously small…» Youngjun huffed and sat on a couch.

 

My mom sighed and his mom looked at him with her eyes widened.

I just made a hopeless effort not to laugh, but being defeated by Youngjun’s apathy, I just turned my head away to laugh freely, pretending to be checking the kitchen.

 

«Oh son… You have to admit it… You can’t call this place small…» Mrs Seo mumbled and Youngjun moved his shoulders.

«If we are buying a new house to start our new life it has to be exactly like we want it. How many times do you want me to say it? It’s not a simple choice…» he said with a clearly sarcastic voice, a tone though that I only caught.

«Oh, yes, you are right, my son… It’s not a simple choice at all. Let’s look at the bedrooms again… They are so cosy.» she said with a nervous voice and pulled my mom in the other room.

«The light isn’t good in there!» I added and felt satisfaction beyond the limit.

 

Youngjun looked at me and nodded with his usual expression.

«It goes better than I expected.» I whispered, checking if our mothers were coming.

«Yeah, they haven’t protested at all. That’s what I call determination.» he sighed with a colourless voice and got up.

«How many have we rejected so far?»

«This is the 10th…» he looked out of the window and buried his hands in his pants’ pockets.

«And I don’t even feel sorry…» I whispered and joined his side.

 

The truth is that all the houses we visited with our mothers were amazing. Our conceited families wouldn’t be OK with anything less than the «amazing».

But… just to give ourselves a little justice… We had agreed on rejecting most of the houses that our parents would suggest for our «new life».

I still get chills with this «new life» thing… But I feel much better with the whole issue, I won’t deny that.

We’ve been working the idea in our minds for a month now anyways. Discussions over discussions, agreements and disagreements and all over again.

«We». Well, not exactly «we».

 

Youngjun is usually a listener. And I was forced to become a listener, because our parents had decided to talk on their own about OUR wedding. What a surprise you’ll tell me…

It’s not that I am excited over it, but some stuff they were suggesting were so outrageous... I mean, me wearing a pink wedding dress? This combination of words doesn’t even exist in April’s brain dictionary!

Or something about projecting our photos on a video wall during the wedding party… Jeez.

I smiled to myself.

 

«You are crazy, aren’t you? There’s no way we are doing this!»

This was one of the very few times that Youngjun had protested quite angrily.

 

«Heading for the next one now?» I clapped with excitement.

«I think ten houses is more than enough.» he said.

I felt like someone took my candy from me.

«You liked this one that much?» I raised an eyebrow and looked at him with disbelief.

He rolled his eyes.

«Yeah, wow, so much.» he sighed and pushed my arm with an extended finger.

That’s so annoying!

«Oh, don’t do that, it’s kinda annoying.» I rubbed my head awkwardly.

«Is it?» he seemed a little startled. «The other one never protested about that…» he said in a way that made it clear that he was talking to himself.

The other one?

Who’s the other one?

Hm, well…

None of my business, I guess.

 

«What did you say, Youngjun-sshi?»

«Ah… Nothing. Sorry. I won’t do it again. Anyways, you have to admit that all houses were just fine and that we just rejected them to reject them; no other reason. But I think we should just go with the flow with the next one. We tortured them enough.» he moved his shoulders.

«But if we don’t like it…?» I played with my fingers, acting innocent.

He looked at me with the corner of his eye and I felt like he just scolded me with the strictest words.

«I think I will like it… Or I just hope so.» he sighed.

Is this a sudden change of opinion? Or he is just being his weird self again?

 

«Pff, whatever.» I huffed and returned to the sofa.

Both of our moms came back to the same room as us and sat next to me, extending their legs with a tired sigh.

 

«What are we going to do, children? The wedding is just three weeks away and we haven’t even found the place you’ll be living…» my mom murmured kind of sadly.

«If we don’t find something suitable, they can be staying in our house for the time being.» Mrs Seo grinned and both Youngjun and me gasped.

«No! I mean… Shall we just head to the next house?» I immediately got up and grabbed my bag.

«Yes… The next one might be the lucky one.» Youngjun stood next to me and wore his jacket.

«Woo, I get positive vibes! Let’s cheer up kids and go find your dream house!» Mrs Seo clapped with excitement and hurried to exit the place first.

Youngjun rolled his eyes and hurried to follow his mother, while my mom passed her arm around mine and we both started walking.

Mom is smiling. And she looked at me with one of her sweetest looks.

 

«You two… You two are so different.» she rest her head on mine.

«I know, right?» I sighed and looked away.

You realised it so early, ma’!

 

«But still… I sense that there’s something common. I don’t know what it is. It’s something so discreet and gentle that I can’t clearly see it for the time being.»

 

I felt tears welling up in my eyes.

There’s nothing common! And that’s the main problem!

 

I freed myself from her arm and moved foreword to call the elevator. I can’t make this kind of conversation now.

 

«April… Don’t be sad… You know that my feelings are usually right, don’t you?» I felt my mom’s hand on my shoulder.

«I don’t want to discuss it now, mom. It’s almost done anyways.»

The elevator came and as the door opened, I let my mom pass and I made a step back.

«I’m going from the stairs, see you down.» I waved as the doors closed automatically again and prevented my mom’s protest.

 

I sighed in the new silence.

Just a minute alone feels like paradise.

Even these few words from my mom made me upset. However comfortably we might be talking with Youngjun, I feel stupid whenever anyone else is mentioning something about the wedding. And not just anyone; those that know my real feelings for this situation. Their reactions and «comforting» words make me almost mad.

 I have decided and sincerely try to act like everything is OK now, however that is possible. But my inner self knows that nothing is really OK… And I get mad whenever someone actually reminds me what I really feel about this situation.

Because there’s no point in looking back anymore. Nothing can change now; I took this decision for some reason and the only thing  I’ll get from rethinking of it will be to get sadder, madder and more confused.

Of course, I don’t count my father among the people that «know». My father is in his own Universe and- since he thinks that he has achieved his goal- he also thinks that everything is indeed fine nowadays. My mom doesn’t know about my «agreement» with Youngjun, but she definitely knows how I feel about this whole thing. Her previous words prove it after all, but she knows me too well anyways to fool her….

I suppose his parents don’t know anything either…

No. We are playing the role right for now…

But now we aren’t married yet. What happens after that?

I felt chills down my spine.

All this is so insane. Yet true.

 

I took a deep breath and started descending the stairs.

Yeseo only knows the 100% truth. But I haven’t talked much with her. Mainly because I didn’t want to.

 

I stopped in the middle of the next floor and looked out of the large window.

The cars are moving slowly because of the traffic and because it started raining just a while ago. The grey clouds make the evening sky look even darker.

I just realised that I forgot to turn on the light for a safe descending. Huh, so lost in my thoughts…?

I made a step to the left and searched for the switch on the wall. As I approached an apartment’s door, I thought I heard a music box playing.

As I am like this, in complete darkness, for a second I thought that I probably should freak out. But… No. I just feel melancholic. And empty.

I’m preparing for a life that I will have to pretend that is mine…

How pathetic is that?!

I hid my face in my hands and tried to calm down.

My heart is in pain right now.

Relax, April. Everyone is waiting for you downstairs.

 

I sighed deeply and moved my hands like a fan in front of my face.

Got to go.

I reached the ground floor in high speed and found Youngjun waiting under the rain with only a single umbrella in his hand.

He is resting his free hand in his pocket and tapping his foot on the ground.

I passed through the automatic doors that were blocking the entrance and stood next to him, looking for our car.

«Sorry I was late… Wait. Where’s our car?» I widened my eyes, our car nowhere to be seen.

«Silly stuff.» he sighed and looked at the street. «I said I’ll go on foot, then I offered to wait with the umbrella instead of your mom and as soon as she got in the car, my mother asked the driver to leave…»

 

I rolled my eyes.

«Ahh, jeez, what a misunderstanding!» I huffed and turned around myself to release my nervousness.

«I don’t think it was a misunderstanding… It must be one of my mother’s stupid tricks to leave us two alone or whatever.» his voice sounded kind of angry.

I didn’t manage to hold my laughter in.

«Well, whatever she had in her mind, she made it. And- God!- I have no idea where the next house is or how we are getting there!» I pouted and took another look around me.

«I know… It’s not far from here. That’s why I said I’ll go on foot. Let’s go, so we are reaching there as soon as possible.» he rubbed his forehead nervously.

 

Uh-ho. Mrs Seo knew exactly what she was doing. We only have one umbrella…

Ahh, this is going to be awkward.

We started walking, Youngjun holding the umbrella between us.

 

There’s a weird silence when it rains, however noisy the place you are normally is. And as rain falls gently, you naturally feel a kind of isolation from the rest of the world.

Wtf, is that a romantic string playing inside me?

 

Geunsuk’s image kissing me popped in my mind.

 

Oh, no, not now… =_=

I coughed.

 

«How do you remember all these streets? You know where the next house is, you were telling the driver where to go for this and the previous house… Do you do anything around here? If you would let me in the centre of the city, apart from some particular places, I’d get lost in a matter of seconds…» I played with my fingers.

Oh… My arm is touching his arm… That’s so awkward already.

I pulled my arm a bit abruptly from his touch and he just looked at me, raising an eyebrow.

Omg, I reacted like a total creep.

 

Youngjun moved his shoulders.

«I just live. If you start living, you will see by yourself.»

Oh… Should I feel offended?

What does he mean?? ToT

 

«Live? What do you mean, Youngjun-sshi?» I widened my eyes.

He looked right in my eyes for a while and then returned his look to the street.

«Nothing. Forget it. It would be pointless to explain now.»

 

Silence hugged us again.

 

This is how every day will be?

That’s boring.

But… no.

He won’t be often in «our» home, he said.

So, I’ll be able to do whatever I want.

And probably with whoever I want.

That’s interesting. :>

 

I smiled to myself and did a happy movement.

Oh… Our arms are touching again.

Youngjun looked at the body contact and –this time- he was the one to pull away.

Ah… Thankfully.

 

We both sighed at the same time.

 

«I’ll have to start planning my every day life.» I tried to break the awkwardness.

«You have a lot of time to do this. What you need is ideas and the mood to do anything.» he exhaled and steam came out of his mouth.

«Yeah… True that. I think I’ll have to find what will be more fun than my used- to- be routine.»

«Fun? Fun sounds like a really immature word.» he said with a… sarcastic tone?

«I’m young enough for it, then.» I moved my shoulders and felt the body contact again, looking at it with wide open eyes once more.

Youngjun noticed and huffed, placing the umbrella a bit roughly in my hands. He pulled his hood on his head and stepped out of the umbrella’s protection.

I naturally stopped walking and looked at him.

He didn’t even bother to look back at me, or even stop like I did. He just kept walking in the rain.

I will never understand this guy.

 

I tried to gather myself and took a deep breath for one more time, in just a matter of minutes..

 

I waited until he had reached quite far away.

I looked around me for a while; the idea of running away seems always so tempting.

No, shut up.

Shut- it- up. NO looking back right now, April. We said it; It’s OVER.

 

I closed my eyes for a second and then sprinted to catch up with Youngjun. I finally jumped next to him, but he didn’t mind noticing me and just kept walking.

«Ugh, I’m bored. Are we getting close?» I asked, blowing my bangs.

«We are walking for only 10 minutes, how quickly did you get bored?» he asked back plainly.

«Ugh, I just did! You didn’t answer my question though.»

«OK, yes, 10 more minutes, is that fine for your highness?» he raised his tone.

«Don’t get mad at me! I don’t know this place as you do!» I raised my tone too.

He stopped walking and looked at me with eyes that seemed… mad?

«You think that this is… why..?»

He tsk’d in a combination with a breathless chuckle.

 

«I don’t get mad at you. Actually, I shouldn’t. Because you are a person with closed eyes. Open your eyes, Apeuril. I think you will understand then.» he dropped his head and started walking again.

I wonder if I should feel offended.

What the hell does he mean with all these Confucian lines today?

I moved my shoulders and joined him.

I’ll remember to be offended later. Since I don’t get what he says, no reason to be upset.

 

On the front, as we are moving, I noticed «Sweetheart», a famous for their croissants bakery label. Youngjun passed in front of it carelessly, but I stopped and literally stuck my face on the window.

That chocolate croissant seems so tasty.

We’ve been out all day. I haven’t eaten a single thing. I deserve something.

I automatically searched for my bag, but I remembered leaving it in the car. Then, my pocket for any coins.

Damn. Empty.

 

I sighed with dissatisfaction. I am the daughter of such rich parents and don’t have a few coins to buy a croissant. Great.

 

I felt a tap on my shoulder and- turning around- I faced Youngjun’s fist in front of my hands.

«What…?» I asked, but before fully finishing my words, he pulled my arm with his other hand and opening his fist he left some coins in my palm.

I looked at them weirdly, then at him.

 

«Hey… You didn’t need to…» I murmured awkwardly.

«Learn not to forget your pocket money; it’s always necessary out here.» he nodded back at me and I rolled my eyes.

«Thanks!» I huffed and headed to get my croissant.

 

 

We reached the new house speechless, not even looking at each other.

 

«This is no fun. I hope it won’t be like that always.» I sighed but Youngjun ignored me.

He approached the porter and I just tailed him.

«Excuse me, ajusshi… Where is the apartment… Ehm… 22F?»

The man looked at us over his glasses.

«Are you with the two funny ladies?» he asked with boredom.

My jaw dropped, but Youngjun laughed.

«Yes, that’s right.»

«You will find them on the sixth floor… As you get out of the elevator, on your right. And, boy… Tell them not to be very noisy.»

We both bowed and hurried to the elevator, Youngjun still laughing.

«That was rude.» I said.

«No, it was funny.» Youngjun rubbed his nose, still with a smiley face.

Smiley..? Wait.

Wow. Youngjun’s smiling.

He has a misaligned tooth.

I had never noticed.

His face changes completely when he smiles.

 

I suppose that I still know nothing.

 

Yah, wake up!

 

«Well, my mom isn’t a «funny lady»…» I protested.

«Yeah, that’s true. I was actually talking about my mom.» he looked away, taking an awkward tone again.

«That ajusshi was really bored…» I looked at the dashboard with the buttons, pressing the «6» one.

«I suppose he must have seen a lot of stuff here…»

«Like?» I half-closed my eyes.

He sighed.

«Many. That’s it. You ask way too much for obvious things.»

OK, master.

 

We got out in a luxurious hall and turned immediately right as the porter told us. We headed straight for the door that was opened.

Youngjun stopped and looked away.

I scratched my head and stopped too, but as he kept staying still, I realised that he was letting me pass first.

Jeez, girl.

But he’s so awkward, that I am surprised by basic stuff by him…

 

As soon as I stepped in the apartment, I felt a warm vibe.

I heard Youngjun exhaling with a combined «wow».

 

He felt it too…?

 

My eyes widened as I faced the huge glass window with a stunning view of the city centre and a bunch of skyscrapers.

The living room has a pair of long, fluffy sofas, a short table in the middle, between them, an armchair, a large TV and a digital fireplace.

 

OMG, this seems so warm…

I took a look around and spotted the spacious kitchen, separated from the living room with only a counter.

A walk around brought to light a bathroom and a small storeroom.

And here are… stairs.

I hurried upwards, Youngjun following me, as we found ourselves on the 7th floor.

«This is… amazing.» I whispered looking at the hall that is laying in front of me.

«So, this apartment is… like double?» Youngjun murmured.

«Maisonette.» my mom appeared from one door, smiling.

«This is insanely cool!» I beamed and ran to find my room.

«Pick your room kids!» Mrs Seo made her appearance also.

I stopped my movement immediately.

«OUR room?» we both gulped.

«Yes, yes.» she smirked and pushed us to the room in the end of the hall.

I opened the door hesitantly.

«This should be your bedroom, kids. It’s spacious, isn’t it?» Mrs Seo went on.

Ugh, this is awkward.

« And it is the only room of the upper floor connecting directly with a private bathroom.» the broker got in the room also.

«What other rooms are there up here?» Youngjun asked the broker, remaining fully calm.

«There’s the guest bedroom. A big closet. And a supposed- to- be playroom. I guess it’s up to you to do whatever you want with it, if you are buying the house.» the woman nodded and smiled professionally.

«OK, sounds great.»

Our mothers stopped their movements and looked at us with widened eyes.

«You said «sounds great»?? This… this means you are alright with this house?» my mom mumbled, with a thrilled tone.

I looked at him with the corner of my eye and he did the same.

«Yes.» we said slowly and I think that our mothers barely held a tear in.

«Great! So great!» Mrs Seo clapped her hands and the broker joined her with excitement.

I discreetly rolled my eyes.

«Can you leave us on our own for a while?» I asked, trying to make my look to our moms meaningful.

«Ahh, yes, of course, my dear child. We have to fix the financial issue with Miss Shin anyways.» my mom nodded quickly and the three women left us alone.

 

 

A few seconds passed in silence and the voices were heard going downstairs.

«On our own…? What’s wrong?» Youngjun turned to me.

«I just wanted to make it clear. This house is great and I think it totally deserves our choice… But this bedroom thing… I don’t want to share bedroom…» I coughed a little.

He looked at me and chuckled.

«This wouldn’t be my cup of tea either, you know.»

 

Hey.

Again.

Should I get offended?

 

«But if you remember from a couple of minutes ago… There are two bedrooms. This one and the smaller one.»

«Great. I’m getting this one.» I grinned and he narrowed me with his cat-like eyes.

«Yeah, so fair.»

He thought for a second.

«Look, whoever is taking the smaller bedroom is taking the empty room also. This playroom thing.»

«Hmm… OK. I’m still sticking with this bedroom, Youngjun-sshi… According to what you say, you won’t be always here. So, shouldn’t I take the cosier bedroom?» I pouted unconsciously.

What the hell April…?

 

He bit his lip and hummed for a while.

 

«OK, that’s a deal. But I will be using the playroom as I want. I mean, no common use. Just me.» he looked at me seriously again.

I wondered why such a clear limit.

But didn’t ask.

«Sure… As you wish.» I looked around me, already thinking of the potential decorations of my new, completely own place.

«So… welcome to your new house.» he moved his shoulders, after a small pause, and left the room quietly.

 

My new house.

Freedom, here I come.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have been looking at the ceiling of my room for a while now.

 

As the wedding approaches, I feel weirder and weirder.

Not that it happens next week, but time shortens day by day and I’m feeling really awkward.

I have to admit that I’m working with more excitement on the plans for the new house; I’ll have a double bed and I can paint the walls of my room as I want. Youngjun said I’m free to do whatever in there. And our moms promised not to interfere with these things. They will just pay for anything we ask.

Almost ideal.

 

But well, my excitement is because I feel like I start a new life, away from all my nightmares.

It wasn’t necessary for this new life to include a husband.

OK, a discreet, but sometimes so caustic husband.

 

I think he has scolded me more times than my own parents have… LOL

So irritating.

I ain’t a baby.

 

But I’m gonna prove to him and everyone, when my independent life starts, that I’m no baby.

 

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts.

 

«Yes?» I lifted my head a little from my pillow.

«Agasshi… Your friend, Yeseo, is downstairs. Should I let her in?» Seohee’s voice was heard.

Yeseo… Here?

Without previous notice? Wow.

«Yes, Seohee, tell her to come upstairs.»

 

I got up and fixed my hair hurriedly, kicking  a pair of shoes that was in the middle of the room under my bed.

 

Another knock on the door.

 

«Yes?»

Yeseo stepped in, without answering to me first and hurried o hug me.

 

«Oh my God, I’m so glad you are OK, Aerin…» she said, with a voice that sounded quite worried to me.

«Hey, Yeseo… Why shouldn’t I be?» I patted her back and pulled her to sit next to me on my bed.

She looked at me in the face and held my cheeks.

 

«We haven’t really met in person after… After the news.»

«Ah yes… That’s true…» I played with my fingers and she, sighing, let her hands down and took a look around the room, fixing her eyes on something on my second pillow.

I followed her look; she is staring at the wedding dress magazine that I have left opened there.

 

I extended my hand and pulled it on my knees.

 

«Do you want to… see a few with me?» I asked, feeling my voice shaking a little.

Yeseo looked at me with blur eyes.

«Oh, Aerin… I can’t believe it.» she hugged me again.

«Yeseo. It’s OK. I am OK.» I caressed her hair.

«Yes… I’m so sorry, Aerin… I just can’t believe that you are actually getting married…»

«Oh… Well. I haven’t completely gotten used to it either. But it’ll be OK. You know the details. You know about Youngjun-sshi. I am in constant communication with him. There’s no need to worry, I am sure about it.»

She pulled back and sighed.

«You seem to have everything quite clear in your mind. That kind of comforts me… Does this mean that we will live like we used to?»

 

«Even better I guess, since my parents won’t be bossing me around!» I gave her a bright smile.

«Then… maybe you should… clear things out with Geunsuk also..?» she half- closed her eyes.

I opened my mouth and frowned intensely.

«No, no, no, no and no, Yeseo! No!» I looked away and got up.

«But why?»

«Because I am embarrassed!» I yelled and fell again on my bed, completely abandoned of my energy.

Yeseo smiled gently and patted my back.

«Do it. He’s eager to listen, I’m sure about it. He’s open to any explanation or detail of this situation in your life. I talked with him.»

«You told him?!» I got up again.

«No, not details. Just that it indeed isn’t as it seems…» she moved her hands and handed me her mobile.

I looked at it nervously.

«Do it, Aerin.»

 

I dialed Geunsuk’s name and the number appeared. I pressed the green button with a shaking finger and waited for a few seconds.

 

Oh God… So embarrassing.

I really can’t.

 

«Wassup Yeseo?» his heavy voice was heard.

 

Omg.

 

I gasped and hanged up.

 

«What are you doing?» Yeseo raised an eyebrow.

«I can’t Yeseo, I can’t! Please!» I covered my face and bent my head slowly, with embarrassment.

«OK, OK. No need to panic. It’s gonna be alright… Do you wanna go for a coffee downtown, so as we are relaxing and shooing all the negative energy?» she smiled and got up pulling me, too.

I looked at her through my fingers and nodded slowly.

«You are such a baby, Aerin.» she laughed and I huffed.

 

I’m not a baby!

 

 

 

 

Youngjun’s POV

 

I sighed deeply.

Father called me to his office. I guess that this is important.

 

Hyorin, my dad’s secretary for a lot of years now, passed in front of me smiling for the 10th time.

 

My guitar’s case is resting next to my armchair and I automatically grabbed it with my right hand.

 

«What is wrong, noona?» I asked, after I coughed to clean my throat.

She stopped walking and looked at me.

«Ah, nothing, Youngjun… I just look at you and can’t realise how quickly years went by…» she rest her head on her hand and looked at me with a gentle smile.

I tried to smile back.

The truth is that all that I can think of now is the upcoming practice with the boys. We have fallen behind with our program. And everyone is just fooling around when I ain’t there.

 

«Yeah… Third people do always realise it much more than we -ourselves- do. I hope that you mean I grew up nicely, because this is what matters. Otherwise, I’m just growing up to something useless.» I said, more coldly than I intended.

She seemed taken aback.

«Oh… Of course, Youngjun. You are a really fine and delicate boy and I’m sure that with your father’s guidance, you’ll become a useful and brilliant man.» she smiled again, tucking her hair behind her ear and moved on.

 

I shifted on my seat nervously.

Ah, God, she hit the totally wrong nerve.

With my father’s guidance? Huh!

 

«When is he going to see me?»  I yelled, resulting in her coming back to me.

«He had some phone calls to make, but I think he’s done now.» she nodded and hurried to knock my father’s door.

 

Yeah, as usually. Phone calls are more important than whatever has to do with me.

But I bother too much for something that probably is just going to annoy me.

 

A couple of minutes later, Hyorin came out of the office and signaled to me that I can go in.

I left my guitar next to her desk, after I asked from her to keep an eye on it, and –taking a deep breath- I entered my dad’s office.

 

He looked at me from head to toes and showed me to sit.

 

What is it now... =_=

 

«You asked to see me?» I said blankly.

«Yes, son…» he finally got up and played with his pen in his hands. «As you know, the wedding’s day is closer and closer, day by day...»

I rolled my eyes, but didn’t say anything.

«…So, I thought that we should start planning your program in the company, so you get to learn the job in the fastest and most effective way. You can tell me how long do you think you can be absent from your house and your wife, in what exactly you are interested doing in the company…»

What is he talking about..? Lol.

 

«Appeoji. What are you saying exactly?» I looked at him straightforwardly.

«But… About your future in the company, son. Now, you’ll be a married man, you will have to make a lot of money for you, your house and your wife. Of course, I’ll be paying for everything, but just for the image of the whole thing, I think that you should start working for the company from now on.»

I tried not to laugh and swallowed all the bad words that came to my mouth.

I let out a small chuckle.

«Father. I don’t want to work for the company.» I said simply.

«What?» he raised his tone immediately.

I ain’t going to play his game this time.

«Look. I accepted the whole marriage thing, as you suggested. I’m following any decision you all make for this issue and don’t protest. So, now that it comes to the job issue, so, consequently, to what I’m gonna do in my every day life, just let me decide on this.»

He looked at me, his eyes hardening.

«If you aren’t working in the company, you know that you won’t be receiving any money from me, don’t you…» he said and his voice sounded dark.

«I know it. And I don’t care. I want to make my own money and pay for myself.»

«But you won’t be alone from now on.»

«Yes, I know. Apeuril has her own money from her parents. Being married to someone doesn’t mean depending financially on them.» I got up and looked out of the window.

My father looked at me with these hard eyes once again.

«I don’t like that, Youngjun.»

«And I didn’t like the wedding, but in the end I just did it. Let me do it like that, father. You won’t be influenced in the tiniest way by my actions.»

«You can’t promise that, can you?» he smiled sarcastically and sat again on his chair.

«As I can’t promise that this wedding is eventually happening.» I smirked back at him and he gasped.

«You can be so untrustworthy. I can’t believe that you didn’t learn anything from me all these years…» he murmured angrily.

Too bad. I won this.

«I don’t think I am untrustworthy. Just wait and see that I’ll stick to all my promises. Believe me that this will be the easiest part for me.»

«Alright, son. But do know, that I won’t accept any kind of «unfortunate things that happened» and you will suddenly need money. You are on your own on this part from now on, as you demanded.» he sounded calmer, but still looked at me coldly.

«Great. That’s just amazing, exactly what I wanted. See you later!» I waved and hurried to exit the room.

I almost ran to my guitar and –grabbing it- I rushed to the elevator.

I can’t believe that I finally won this! He thinks that he trapped me, but instead, I trapped him and got what I wanted! That’s such a huge relief.

I’m free.

I’m free!

 

I pushed the button of the elevator and as I waited, tapping my foot impatiently on the floor, I pulled my mobile out and dialed Kwangyeon’s number.

«Hey, Kwangttok… I’m good. I’m great actually… Huh? No, no. Just get the rest of the smarties and meet me at Paolo’s. I’m paying… Haha, no. I’ll explain face to face. See ya.»

 

 

Reader’s POV

 

 

April took a ship of her coffee and made a grimace. She didn’t really like coffee, but for some stupid and unknown reason she had let Yeseo order for her.

Yeseo was talking unstoppably for the previous night that she ended up dancing with a YG employee.

 

«… And you know, he looked at me and said: You rarely get to see such hot girls like you, or something like that.»

«So, he liked you…» April smiled.

«Hah, my little Aerin, you have so many things to learn yet. I just think that he wanted to sleep with me, but yeah.»

Here, April choked with her coffee and started coughing.

«That’s rude.»

«That’s expected, Aerin.»

«I’ll never understand people.» the curly haired sighed.

«You will, soon, don’t worry. I’m planning on showing everything to you, now that you’ll be free.»

«Free?» April huffed sarcastically.

«Yeah… It’s funny how life brings everything and getting trapped into a wedding you don’t want is translated in you being free…» Yeseo bit her nail thoughtfully.

«Whatever.»

«Well, I won’t be alone in this new start of your life. Many people want to join us… And one of them is right here.» she pointed behind April’s back, making her turn her head around and face Geunsuk.

April gasped and blushed.

«Geun… Geunsuk oppa…» she remained breathless and lowered her eyes with embarrassment.

The night that he kissed her and then her father appeared and started yelling about the wedding, popped in her mind violently, filling her with mixed emotions.

«Hey, hey… Don’t look away immediately. It’s OK.» he smiled and patted her head.

«No… It’s not OK…» April murmured, about to cry.

«She’s very embarrassed with everything about her issue.» Yeseo hurried to state, Geunsuk nodding quickly.

«I know. I understand actually. But I am eager to listen to everything.» he sat next to her, caressing her back.

 

April lifted her head and looked at him.

 

«C’mon girl, spit it out!» Yeseo nudged her.

 

At the same time, from the other corner of the cafe, a loud laughter was heard, making Yeseo look at that direction, but as the waitress passed in front of her, she returned her attention to the conversation at her table.

 

Youngjun slapped Hyoseok’s and Kyumin’s napes at the same time.

«Yah, you are laughing too loudly, everyone was looking at our table!» he whined and the two buddies laughed.

«Let them be, rarely we have the chance to celebrate like this!» Kwangyeon smiled happily and drank a little of his tea.

«Celebrating with tea and coffee? That’s boring!» Hanbyul huffed, gaining a bored look by the leader.

«Really now?» Youngjun sighed.

«Yeah, let’s shake it somewhere tonight! Celebrating without alcohol isn’t real celebrating…» Hanbyul nudged Kwangyeon and Kyumin and they all looked at the leader.

«We will see. I can’t promise.» he moved his shoulders and everyone sighed. «Guys, guys. You don’t realise it. From now on, I’ll be free to do whatever. WE will be free to do whatever. So, no need to worry about celebrating or how.»

«Every day celebration!» Hyoseok partied funnily.

«Every day practice…» Youngjun moved his finger strictly and they all laughed.

 

«Byeol hyung said something about this movie in the cinema… I heard that the soundtrack is really daebak.» Kyumin widened his eyes.

«Yes, guys, I think we should really give this a try…» Hanbyul said and started analysing his opinion about the comments he had read about the movie.

 

Youngjun chilled in his chair. He just sat back and listened to the boys talking, drinking from his coffee, listening to the cafe’s music and -for the first time in a few weeks- feeling completely relaxed and careless.

Even though he had remained calm, the confrontation with his father had bothered his mood. But, as usually, as soon as he got with LEDApple he forgot all the negative and kept all the positive that he had gained.

He thought for once again, how unexpected life can be. But- in a way- harshly fair, too. Taking something good, to give you something else good, sometimes maybe even better.

April appeared in his mind, their new house, all these preparations for the wedding. And for a second he felt like suffocating. But Kyumin playfully pinching Kwangyeon’s arm and Kwangyeon simply pushing the maknae’s hand back without further protest, brought him back to his warm reality.

These guys had been, so unexpectedly, the best thing that had happened to him so far.

He took another ship of his coffee and let his look wander around the place, as his fellows kept on blabbing with excitement.

The fact that he just now noticed people being dressed with warm clothes and everyone holding umbrellas, made him realise that he hadn’t been out to relax for a long time. Otherwise, he would have realised much earlier that they were moving deeper and deeper in autumn.

 

His attention was averted from the wet shop windows to another table, on the other side of the room.

A blond- head gained his look because of her intense gestures. Her look was anxious, as if she was trying to convince the rest of her company for her words.

The rest of her company…

A seemingly tall and strong guy, with brunette hair, pulled back, was listening to her words carefully and nodding every now and then, his look calm and encouraging. Every now and then he was looking at another girl, with brown curls, that was resting under his arm.

Youngjun got his glass of water in his hands and looked more carefully at the curl haired, her figure appearing familiar for some reason.

 

«… Jun!»

Hanbyul’s voice only slightly distracted the leader’s attention from his observation.

«Huh?» he murmured, without looking at the vocalist.

«About the practice…? Tomorrow?» Hanbyul half-closed his eyes.

«Yeah, yeah.»

The vocalist rolled his eyes.

«Forget it, Jun.»

 

The blond- head got up, gesturing that she would leave the other two alone.

The guy left some space now and that’s when Youngjun realised why the girl looked familiar.

«Apeuril…» he whispered and almost choked with the water he was drinking.

His eyes widened, as he started coughing to clear his throat from the wrong water.

The rest of the gang looked at him with concern, but he moved his hands, showing that his OK.

 

«So, this is the guy that she has been worrying about all this time…» Youngjun thought.

She hadn’t ever talked about the existence of any guy, but Youngjun knew it. Some of her words had betrayed it, even her eyes and expression were different at those moments.

He looked at the guy again. Typical handsome, spoiled, rich brat. And he seemed to have it easy with April.

 

Youngjun felt uneasy. He thought that it would be weird if the girl was finding out about his presence. And- of course- he didn’t want her to find out about LEDApple.

 

«Let’s go.» he said firmly.

«Go? Already?» Hyoseok opened his eyes with a puzzled expression.

«Yes. And quickly.»

«What’s going on?» Hanbyul raised an eyebrow.

«Nothing. I’ll explain afterwards, because otherwise we will never leave from here.»

«But…» Kyumin was about to protest, but Kwangyeon got up first without further questions.

«I’ll tell you afterwards. Now, go out first. I’ll follow you in a second.»

 

The boys got up and headed for the exit quickly.

 

Youngjun looked at the bill and counted his money, paying for everyone’s drinks.

He then took a deep breath and got up, looking for a last time at April’s table with the corner of his eye.

 

Then, he just bent his head and started walking as fast as possible, his only thought to smoke a cigarette, to feel calmer.

 

He looked at the door nervously, a few meters separating him from it.

And then –bam!- he bumped on someone.

 

«Ouch!»

Youngjun recognised April’s voice.

Jesus, what a timing was this, he thought, searching for his packet of cigarettes on the floor.

«I’m sorry.» he murmured.

«Young… Youngjun-sshi?» April widened her eyes. «What are you doing here?»

«Not stalking you, obviously…» he replied, still looking for his thing.

«It’s here.» April bent and picked it up, under a chair. «I didn’t… I didn’t know you are smoking…» she said quietly, offering it to him.

«There are a lot of things you don’t know...» he sighed and took it from her hands.

«Had you seen me from previously?»

«As you already understood, yeah. But, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bother you.»

«No… It’s OK… I was actually…» she was about to say more, but- as soon as she lifted her look- she realised that he was already gone.

 

 

--

 

«Be careful not to mark the wall with that box!» April yelled to Youngjun, as he barely went through the wall and the stairs’ rails, that were leading to the upper floor of their apartment, caring one of the boxes with his personal stuff.

«I’m careful! Instead of giving instructions, you should carry your own stuff upstairs too.» his voice was heard a little forced and distant.

«But I just finished with fixing everything in the living room! I’m tired!» she pouted to herself and looked at all the boxes that were meant to find a place in her bedroom.

Youngjun instead had only two left.

He had spent the whole morning locked in the «play room», fixing who knows what and why. April had only  managed to see a cosy armchair and a short table going in there. Anything else was a mystery about it.

She, on the other hand, had taken care of the kitchen and the living room.

And now, that he was preparing his bedroom, she knew that she had to the same.

Their parents had listened to their request of fixing everything on their own and didn’t appear for today, considering it an excuse that the kids had come up with to be on their own.

With the wedding being just a few days away, things had turned around quite a lot, at least for April, who found herself completely calm and ready. It was probably the fact that Geunsuk had understood everything and had said that he’s eager to not pay attention to the fact that she’ll be married, if this would mean that she would be free to do anything else, even dating him.

And- somehow like this- he had kissed her again and asked her when their next date will be.

So, little did she care about anything else, since butterflies had started dancing in her stomach again.

 

She sighed and grabbed one box. It seemed like it was tons heavy. Still, she hurried upstairs and found her way into her room.

At that moment, Youngjun opened his own door.

This is your chance girl, April thought and stood at her doorstep.

«Oh… Why are these boxes so heavy… I’m so tired…» she whined and pouted, as if talking to herself but with the corner of her eyes she was looking at Youngjun.

He rolled his eyes.

«You only know why they are heavy, because it’s your own stuff in there.» he moved his shoulders and –getting again in his room- he closed the door loudly.

 

«How rude was that!» April thought angrily and closed her own door in the same way.

Huffing, she sat on her bed and looked around her. She needed to first relax and then do more job. So, with a simple movement she the stereo and got up to dance. SHINee, Big Bang, Super Junior, Big Star and her mood was already higher and higher.

Then, B1A4 played.

And of course she turned the volume higher, jumping around crazily with happiness.

 

«Everydayyy…»

 

«Yah! Apeuril! Slow down!» Youngjun’s voice was barely heard.

«Ah, no, Youngjun, this is my cheering song, I can’t slow down!» she yelled, laughing evilly and jumping around her room.

After a minute, Youngjun opened the door abruptly and looked at her with one of the darkest looks he could have ever given to someone.

 

«Hey, you should knock…» April was about to say, but Youngjun rushed in and pushed the power button, turning off the stereo.

«I WAS knocking! But of course you weren’t listening!» he raised his tone and she shrugged towards her bed.

«Sorry, but this is my favourite song.»

«Congrats!» he yelled, widening his eyes. «I was just trying to tell you that I’m going to smoke…»

«Smoke?! In here? Ahh, never!»

«… To smoke at the ground floor.» he said slowly but clearly and April blushed.

«Ah… Alright.»

«I would never smoke in the house since you are also here too. Come to your right mind finally.» he sighed and left quickly.

 

«I’m stupid.» April thought and bit her nail.

«And don’t turn on that music again so loudly!» he yelled from downstairs.

«YAAAH!» she yelled back, but he was gone.

 

«And for a second I felt bad for judging him already…» she huffed and hurried out of her room, to finally go on with her job.

 

Still, she stopped abruptly and lowered her eyes on what she had bumped on.

All of her boxes were upstairs, right in front of her room.

With and eyes wide opened, she felt bad once again.

Youngjun had done this and of course didn’t say anything. And she just got mad at him again…

 

She moved around the boxes, still trying to think what her reaction to such a kind gesture should be, when he would be back.

A piece of paper was left on one of the boxes and she took it in her hands with hesitance.

 

«Instead of whining and wasting your time, you should be working to finish.

You would have been done by now, on your own too.

Y.»

 

«Yahh, Seo Youngjun…!» April murmured angrily and threw the paper in her room. 

 

 

From misschoi: Hey guys~ It's been a long loooong time and I'm so sorry ;0; I hope this update is big and satisfying enough to pay you back for the long waiting~ Get ready for the wedding! >.< Take care til next time, which I hope will be much sooner than this one. >.< <3